Spoilers for Tuesday 13th Jan 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Spoilers for Tuesday 13th Jan 2009

Post by Jon Corby »

Just thought I'd start this now so that it has a proper title, rather than "CofC AGAIN today!!!"

;)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 13th Jan 2009

Post by Howard Somerset »

Bugger. I should've got in first and started it yesterday evening with the title CofC tomorrow :evil:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Everyone has predicted a Mubeen victory, but can Warren pull something out of the hat? Hmm, there must be some kind of rabbit pun in there.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:can Warren pull something out of the hat? Hmm, there must be some kind of rabbit pun in there.
Charlie, you're a bunny guy!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

That was a brilliant joke by Andrew (but we had been told not to mention it :| ).
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I beat the contestants with DEIFIED in round 2. Which is much more interesting than DC's EDIFIED, being a palindrome.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

I saw RESONATE :P

And BEDTIME! Well done Jeff.
Last edited by Chris Davies on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Simpler method for round 10: (100+50)x(9-5)-7x3
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Cuter numbers solution for round 10:

100 + 50 = 150
9 - 5 = 4
4 * 150 = 600
7 * 3 = 21
600 - 21 = 579

Voilà
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

LAST SEGMENT OF SHOW:

I just got 'Bedtime'!

Next round - one letter short of 'galoshes'! :roll:

Next round - Got 'parried'

Numbers - achieved a 900 but time ran out for me to 'minus off' what needed to be 'minused off' 900 to get whatever it was!

Conundrum - didn't get it.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Re: Octochamps scores, that's two games now that the Octochamp with the highest average score has won. Let's see if this continues through the week.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Charlie, you're a bunny guy!
:D
Andrew Sachs wrote:But this is Countdown not the Russell Brand Show!
:D :D

Well done to Junaid on todays victory, although I think SEIGNEUR was spot of the day. Nice one Tony :)

I lost 77-73 to Junaid having risked DEFIXED in round 2 and MORALES in round 12, both of which are bogus, and beat Tony 77-60, albeit as an armchair hero! Rachel seems more comfortable already but I wish Carol was there to go check on the ghastly triple vowels!
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

R5
10,9,8,6,5,4 Target 921

((6+5) x 10 +4) x 8 + 9 = 921
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I'd like to assure you all that this was, by far, the worst game in CofC. Thank goodness. SEIGNEUR was a terrific spot by Tony though.
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

[quote="Junaid Mubeen"]I'd like to assure you all that this was, by far, the worst game in CofC. Thank goodness. SEIGNEUR was a terrific spot by Tony though.[/quote

My cat Tigger outscored me today. But then he's not in the studio with one opponent and 14 CofC contestants looking on with Damocles clock behind him. And I'm not sure that some of Tigger's words were any more likely than prandize. Thanks to Junaid for not rubbing my nose in it. Definitely the better player won! :D
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Well done Junaid. Enjoyed the nervous game. Tony played very well.

Was a bit surprised to see you both though. Was I the only one expecting Steve Briers vs Debbi Flack?!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Dent wrote:Well done Junaid. Enjoyed the nervous game. Tony played very well.

Was a bit surprised to see you both though. Was I the only one expecting Steve Briers vs Debbi Flack?!
The games are not played in the order suggested by the draw. That's why I did a separate diagram showing the draw.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Round 10 numbers, ((9-5)x50-7)x3=579
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

i beat junaid but forgot by what and can't be bothered to check.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:i beat junaid but forgot by what and can't be bothered to check.
And nobody cares.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:i beat junaid but forgot by what and can't be bothered to check.
And nobody cares.
That's a bit harsh. Junaid's a quality player and if people feel good about beating him from home, let them come somewhere (and where other than a Countdown forum) to brag about it.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
And nobody cares.
That's a bit harsh. Junaid's a quality player and if people feel good about beating him from home, let them come somewhere (and where other than a Countdown forum) to brag about it.
I'm trying not to boast i'm just saying, because Dinos said how he got on, that I thought I'd join in. I don't mind if nobody cares. Thanks Kirk for backing me up anyway.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I enjoyed the show today and Rachel seemed a bit more relaxed than yesterday, except when she dropped the number! Congratulations to Junaid, he played very well, but so did Tony. The selection of letters hasn't been very good at all. I wonder if something has changed there. Loved your Clarice Cliff tie Tony. I did manage a 6 when Junaid only got a 5, but didn't do very well anywhere else.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote: I'm trying not to boast i'm just saying, because Dinos said how he got on, that I thought I'd join in. I don't mind if nobody cares. Thanks Kirk for backing me up anyway.
Well, I'm here to boast. I beat Junaid 76-67. I've got to address my searing bitterness at losing my semi final somehow.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
And nobody cares.
Not too bothered either way to be honest, although you have to be cautious when comparing against contetants on the show. For example, I chose not to risk BEDTIME in one round since Tony had 5. You would score me as having a 6, but if you declared >5 I'd no doubt have gone for the 7. In other words, the playing safe option isn't taken into account and this often changes the whole complexion of a game.

That said, I thrashed myself today so am feeling sky high :D
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Charlie, you're a bunny guy!
Brilliant
Jon O'Neill wrote:
And nobody cares.
Brilliant
Junaid Mubeen wrote:Not too bothered either way to be honest, although you have to be cautious when comparing against contetants on the show. For example, I chose not to risk BEDTIME in one round since Tony had 5. You would score me as having a 6, but if you declared >5 I'd no doubt have gone for the 7. In other words, the playing safe option isn't taken into account and this often changes the whole complexion of a game.
Precisely! The whole "I beat you/lost to you/would've gone to a tie-break conundrum against you and then beaten you on it because it would've been scrambled as TURROTING and I know what that is straight away" stuff is very tiresome. I can see why scoring against someone from home is a useful way of tracking your progress and ability, but to use that as anything more than a guide is laughable (Martin's excused though as his post was almost worthy of a "brilliant" too).

Anyway, well done to a seemingly nervous Junaid, and also to Tony - you did better than you think (unless your cat is a future series champion). Those two difficult numbers games played into Junaid's hands, and your made-up R13 word was a tactical gamble worth going for (what with beating Junaid on the final numbers rather improbable). SEIGNEUR was quality too! Good effort mate. ;)
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:
Anyway, well done to a seemingly nervous Junaid, and also to Tony - you did better than you think (unless your cat is a future series champion). Those two difficult numbers games played into Junaid's hands, and your made-up R13 word was a tactical gamble worth going for (what with beating Junaid on the final numbers rather improbable). SEIGNEUR was quality too! Good effort mate. ;)
Cheers.
When you're sitting up front with the Clock of Damocles behind and the time ticking away it's amazing how much of the obvious passes you by. There really was a great camaraderie between the contestants so that everyone new that the whole thing was going to be won by a member of the home team so losing a game didn't hurt. Too much :mrgreen:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Ian Dent wrote:Was I the only one expecting Steve Briers vs Debbi Flack?!
This page contains two tables. The top one shows who plays whom, and the bottom one shows who plays when. But don't go to that page if you're not up to date with games, as it shows all results so far.