Reaction to the final

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Reaction to the final

Post by Kai Laddiman »

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread was taken from the private Series 59 finalists forum. It's now in public view.]

Well done Junaid, unlucky Charlie. It was an enjoyable game to watch.
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Welcome

Post by Howard Somerset »

It was excellent seeing so many people. Many I'd seen before, but some for the first time. A thoroughly enjoyable day.

Good to see Kai, Naomi and Patricia at breakfast this morning. Hope you enjoy the rest of your birthday, Kai, and don't get too weighed down by that enormous badge.

Sorry I missed everyone else this morning, but I had to get home for 11:30. Hope all you journeys run (ran) smoothly.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Hi everyone,

I would just like to echo Howard's comments, it was great to see people again from 3 weeks ago and many others for the first time. I now believe that I would feel more comfortable coming to one of the events despite the fact that I will most likely get royally beat. I will cherish the memory of us all sitting eating box pizza forever :lol:

I too had to rush back this morning so sorry for not seeing anyone at breakfast. I was actually on the first train back to Edinburgh at 7.10!!

Kai, enjoy your birthday :D , I'm sure you got what you were hoping for. Say hi to your mum for me.

Martin, hope you enjoy your birthday tomorrow. :D

Lee
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yep, great day - I think I enjoyed it about as much as anyone could enjoy losing. It was good to see you all again and I should say thank you in particular to Junaid for being so gracious in victory, and I hope that comes across on TV. Roll on Championship of Champions!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:Yep, great day - I think I enjoyed it about as much as anyone could enjoy losing.
Because you got £1000.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Re: Reaction to the final

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Yep, great day - I think I enjoyed it about as much as anyone could enjoy losing.
Because you got £1000.
:lol:
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Charlie Reams wrote:I should say thank you in particular to Junaid for being so gracious in victory
As you were in defeat.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

It was a real privilege to be part of such a special occasion. Thanks Charlie for a great game; you're a real sport and I hope this is the beginning of a great and long lasting rivalry!

It was great seeing the other finalists again (happy birthday Kai). It's a shame I had to leave straight away as I didn't get an opportunity to meet most of you. I did however have a fun time at breakfast on Thursday with Charlie, Howard and Martin's brother...and yes, I had Boxed Pizza the night before. Hopefully I'll see some/most of you at CofC next month and will get to chat with you properly then...can't wait!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Just a slightly belated note to say how much Mike and I enjoyed the events on Thursday. Apart from the obvious honour we all shared of watching history being made, it was great (as always) to see faces old and new in what turned into 'Contestants' Corner' in the bar and then afterwards at the legendary Holiday Inn Express. I still can't say whether my first experience of eating Box Pizza was life-changing; perhaps it just hasn't hit me yet. Hope to see many of you again at COLIN in the New Year. In the mean time, I'm looking forward (as I expect we all are) to watching it all played out on screen in a few weeks' time - probably with mixed emotions!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I am gutted that I missed the Boxed Pizza :cry:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Congratulations to Junaid and commiserations to Charlie- it was a great game though, and the sheer honour of playing in Carol's last game (and especially Charlie being the last one to make her groan at a numbers selection) is such a unique claim you could dine off of it for years- though obviously at Box Pizza and not at the official meal. ;)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kai Laddiman wrote:I am gutted that I missed the Boxed Pizza :cry:
You should've come over instead of going to bed. A few of us had some slices left over. :P
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

CoC yet. Got to get there. You won't regret it. + 10 man points if you finish a whole one yourself.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Howard Somerset wrote:
You should've come over instead of going to bed. A few of us had some slices left over. :P
Could someone PM me a slice?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
Could someone PM me a slice?
It's on its way. :)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Whoops - forgot to reply to this.

I had a fantastic day on my second visit to the studios (the only other being almost 9 years ago, urgh), and couldn't have asked for more - a cracking final and Carol's final shows. Congratulations to Junaid, who was a worthy winner on the day, and I look forward to having a chat at CoLin if you make it. Your sportsmanship in the "MISCOUNT" round won't be forgotten by those in attendance. Commiserations to Charlie again, but also congratulations on showing the general public just how damn you good you are over 11 appearances, and for being one of the more entertaining contestants in recent memory.

I hope you two have a rematch in COC QF!

Also, it was a pleasure to see the other regulars (Jono, Nick, Mike, Howard etc) and a few new ones (Martin, Kai, Debbi and Lee, plus anyone else?), who I hope will be joining us an event or two in the coming years.
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

Well done to both finalists for putting on a good show; I think it's difficult enough to perform to your best when competing in a series final, but adding in the element of it being Carol's final show and the extra goings on which surround that, must make it especially so.

I really enjoyed the whole day - the final, Carol's special show, the free bar and most of all Box Pizza - thanks for the invitation.

I look forward to seeing many of you again for CofCs in a few weeks (where I will be a nervous wreck) or, if not, then Lincoln in January.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Just to reiterate now it's been shown on TV, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who came along to watch the final, and thanks especially to Junaid for making it a memorable last game for Carol. After round 2 he made very few mistakes so I can't have any complaints about losing to the better player on the day.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:[Junaid's] sportsmanship in the "MISCOUNT" round won't be forgotten by those in attendance.
Now that this thread is public, can this story be told? Or did I just miss something really obvious by not paying full attention?

Secondly, gotta ask - Box Pizza, is this a particularly special pizza joint in Leeds? What makes it so good?
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Matt Morrison wrote:Secondly, gotta ask - Box Pizza, is this a particularly special pizza joint in Leeds? What makes it so good?
This seems to be the most likely answer. :)
Frank
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Frank Rodolf wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Secondly, gotta ask - Box Pizza, is this a particularly special pizza joint in Leeds? What makes it so good?
Also this.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just saw the final, well played both of you, especially Junaid!

What's the MISCOUNT thing? I never saw owt that relates to such an event. Was it edited?

Have to say that Junaid's game was pretty much chink-free, although Charlie's nerves seemed to be a problem. Maybe I'm wrong?

All in all, a good show. What's being shown in the interim over Christmas I wonder?

As another aside, I must remember to try Box Pizza next time I'm on my way to Headingley. It sounds fabby :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

In one round (TSCMOUIEN or something like that), both players declared 8, but when Junaid came to say his word, he said "MISCOUNT but I heard Susie say it".
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kai Laddiman wrote:In one round (TSCMOUIEN or something like that), both players declared 8, but when Junaid came to say his word, he said "MISCOUNT but I heard Susie say it".
Ah right! I assume it got edited then.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Just for the record, it was round 7, and they scrapped it completely.

I wondered at the time if the letter piles might drop to a dangerously low level after that.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Charlie Reams wrote:Just to reiterate now it's been shown on TV, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who came along to watch the final, and thanks especially to Junaid for making it a memorable last game for Carol. After round 2 he made very few mistakes so I can't have any complaints about losing to the better player on the day.
Thanks very much, Charlie. It was a great way to end not only the series but Carol's era. Couldn't have asked for a more likeable or worthy opponent and one so gracious in defeat. You pushed me all the way and signed off in style with the conundrum. Of course, you'll be back for CoC...
Sue Sheldon

Post by Sue Sheldon »

Thoroughly enjoyed the final, cracking game but Junaid was a worthy winner. Commiserations to Charlie, maybe he was dwelling on the fact that following his Octochamp run he only got two proposals from the female Countdown viewing population? :) If I was only single...... and 30 years younger!! ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Frank Rodolf wrote:
Also this.
How far do they deliver?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Frank Rodolf wrote:
Also this.
Why ain't I on there?
John Evans
Rookie

Post by John Evans »

Kai Laddiman wrote: Why ain't I on there?
You ate it so quickly, no one had a chance to see it happen!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wow-wee!

I know, Junaid won the final game.

It made me scared because I thought for sure Charlie would win. Now, all of a sudden, I feel like exclaiming Junaid's name as if that's what was scary. As in, "Junaid!, Junaid,!" It was truly a shocking moment!

However, Junaid, if you're reading this I would like to let you know that I commend you for sticking with everyone through this long journey. From losing way back when Richard Whiteley was host to winning Des O'Connor's last series, I'm very proud of you for keeping it together!
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Good final - obviously a sporting atmosphere as well. Well done Junaid and and hard luck to Charlie.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Been a bit busy so haven't posted. Congratulations Junaid and commiserations Charlie, it was an excellent and poignant final.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Sue Sheldon wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the final, cracking game but Junaid was a worthy winner. Commiserations to Charlie, maybe he was dwelling on the fact that following his Octochamp run he only got two proposals from the female Countdown viewing population? :) If I was only single...... and 30 years younger!! ;)
Ditto to everything you said except that I would have to be 50 years younger......and single of course!!

Sorry I missed this thread earlier, but have to plead age-related problems in dealing with modern technology (I keep checking the wrong threads, although I did congratulate Charlie somewhere else on this site). We didn't even have calculators when I was at school, never mind computers!!!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

kathleen batlle wrote:
Sue Sheldon wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the final, cracking game but Junaid was a worthy winner. Commiserations to Charlie, maybe he was dwelling on the fact that following his Octochamp run he only got two proposals from the female Countdown viewing population? :) If I was only single...... and 30 years younger!! ;)
Ditto to everything you said except that I would have to be 50 years younger......and single of course!!

Sorry I missed this thread earlier, but have to plead age-related problems in dealing with modern technology (I keep checking the wrong threads, although I did congratulate Charlie somewhere else on this site). We didn't even have calculators when I was at school, never mind computers!!!
You might find View active topics link at the top of each page to be very useful. It shows you all the topics in the order they were most recently posted in, so you can easily see where the hot discussion is happening, and you never miss a topic. This is basically the only way that I read the forum now.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Charlie Reams wrote:
kathleen batlle wrote:

You might find View active topics link at the top of each page to be very useful. It shows you all the topics in the order they were most recently posted in, so you can easily see where the hot discussion is happening, and you never miss a topic. This is basically the only way that I read the forum now.
Thanks Charlie, I'll do that in future. I love this site and do read as many of the comments as I can find and always go to "View your posts" first, so I'm getting used to the format now. Happy New Year.