Unpopular opinion

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Unpopular opinion

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I prefer the 9-round format over the 15-round format and would support it being brought back, because 15-rounders make the outcomes of matches, octochamp runs and finals too predictable in the Apterous era. It used to be that you had upsets on crucials, or a challenger could get a single 9-letter word and have a fighting chance against a multi-day champion. You also used to have a lot more variety in the seed tables, now it's just 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 in the quarter-finals most times.

Now that basically anyone who signs up, and waits 5 years after their previous appearance, can get back on whenever they want, I don't feel it would be too unfair to Apterites to common plebes more of a chance either and it would make for better viewing.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Unpopular opinion

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I tend to think competitions are better if they reward the better player rather than purposely have chance elements. I think the conundrum being 1/9 of the game is too much. 2 numbers games is also too few.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Re: Unpopular opinion

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:50 pm I tend to think competitions are better if they reward the better player rather than purposely have chance elements. I think the conundrum being 1/9 of the game is too much. 2 numbers games is also too few.
Yes, this. It’s not really as fun or interesting if on balance it’s a fickle lottery of tiny margins. The 15-round game is fine.
Series 78 Runner-up