Spoilers for Friday 15th December 2023 (Series 88, Quarter Final 2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Friday 15th December 2023 (Series 88, Quarter Final 2)

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

The 2nd quarter final today, yesterday saw Harry secure his place in the first Semi Final, but competing for a place in the second today are...

Firstly, #2 Viraj Seelam - 8 Wins, 867 Points (Average: 108.375)
Highest Score: 125 vs. Annemarie Gayle (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 92 vs. Rachel Broadbridge (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 1/10
Total Points/Max/%: 867/1093 (79%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 526/702 (75%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 281/311 (90%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 60/80 (75%)

Secondly, #7 Rachel Copley - 7 Wins, 712 Points (Average: 89)
Highest Score: 102 vs. Helen Sanderson (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 73 vs. Sandy Macdonald (3rd Game)
9's Achieved: 1/5
Total Points/Max/%: 712/1037 (69%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 451/637 (71%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 211/320 (69%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/80 (63%)
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Friday 15th December 2023 (Series 88, Quarter Final 2)

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Another good performance from both players.

Round 12 - ENANTHOL
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Was it really them who got HARUSPEX? Fr.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

This review is coming a bit late as I had flown off on a one-week vacation hours after this episode aired. I'll try to watch the remaining five episodes live where I am, but man, what a week it has been with so many things happening, and not to mention "Have I Got News For You" making me unable to unsee Roger Tilling's pronunciation of Birkbeck MacMillan's name on Monday's match :lol: Anyways, back to this show, and I was surprised to see Viraj was nervous seeing Harry's match yesterday. I thought he would have been the opposite given how he aced his Numbers Round in his Preliminary matches but let's hope he focuses on today's match against Rachel. No, not Riley, but Copley! :D

Letters: Gentle start up to the Anecdote but unlucky for Rachel with goldier disallowed in R5. Nice spot of BROMANCE and COMBINER in R7 even though Viraj admitted he got it in a weird way with BROMAN (slang I guess?) :lol:
Johnny Canuck wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:25 pm Was it really them who got HARUSPEX? Fr.
Yes, shockingly Dictionary Corner got this word but credit where it's due I guess! The last third saw both of them shine first with a relevant word this season, WINTERED in R10, then Viraj's spot of CABALS in R11 was a nice topping too! :)

Numbers: I'm sure many of us tuning in would have expected the plan to be Viraj using his 6 Small weapon against Rachel, but I can only shrug and laugh because I got absolutely wrecked with my predictions and he went with 1 Large in R3 (thanks Stephen and Philip for pointing out early on the Daily Chat since I always watch the show online :lol: ). Manageable start, alright then, R6 came, but wait, no one got the target??? How?? :o Studio pressure I bet! Viraj sticks with 1 Large again in R9 but both don't get the target on the dot once more!! Argh, this is painful to watch especially if you work out the solution quickly in the comfort of wherever you are :( Finally, R14 came and even though Rachel had lost by then, yay, we get a 6 Small Round but not from the person you would have expected to call it! Impossible round with both contestants getting nowhere, damn, let's hope for a better outcome on Monday and not the slow car crashes as per what Colin mentioned!

Conundrum: Viraj redeemed his stumbles in the Numbers Round here and I'm glad he eventually did with his answer to take him over the century! I would have blanked out on this one so well done!

I predicted Viraj to win by a margin of 60 points, but due to his nervousness and imperfect Numbers Rounds, Rachel did manage to end off with a closer margin of 44 points instead. You were an amazing player Rachel and you surely didn't let that loss to Talaha Modak all those months ago overwhelm you. Finishing off with this many points is a good accolade to have in your name and saying that it's the best thing ever is something you will remember in time to come I'm sure! You achieved more than what you wanted and hopefully Viraj is more than welcome to visit Norwich despite your loss! :lol:

Maybe after this episode, Viraj has had time to regain his composure and recharge in preparation for the filming next Thursday's episode. He would definitely not want a repeat of today that's for sure or his risk of losing would be high! Last five episodes of the year still to come, and when we return, it will be "Teacher playing along with his students the Numbers Round and staging an incredible comeback in one of his shows" Ben Bazzard facing "First Female Octochamp since 2021 and despite her nervousness made it anyway" Caroline McManus. Let's see if anything goes to plan here and who is Viraj's next opponent!

Progress:
QF1 (14 December 2023): Harry Savage (#1) vs David Edwards (#8) (118 - 58)
QF2 (15 December 2023): Viraj Seelam (#2) vs Rachel Copley (#7) (103 - 59)
QF3 (18 December 2023): Ben Bazzard (#3) vs Caroline McManus (#6)
QF4 (19 December 2023): Paul O'Brien (#4) vs George Baker (#5)
SF1 (20 December 2023): Harry Savage (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (21 December 2023): Viraj Seelam (QF2 Winner) vs (QF3 Winner)
GF (22 December 2023): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

FORETOPS is going on the "safe anagrams of slightly rude words" list, alongside THIRTIES and EARHOLES