Spoilers for Tuesday 17th October 2023 (Series 88, Heat 78)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday 17th October 2023 (Series 88, Heat 78)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Episode 8128. Only the fourth episode of Countdown with a perfect number. West Germany existed during the previous one. And Rihanna did not.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 17th October 2023 (Series 88, Heat 78)

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Thankfully the challenger didn't win, I couldn't have coped with another day of 5 vowels straight off on each of his selections!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Well there was a question in the Ask Graeme thread about who picked the most vowels in their octorun. If he'd won eight playing like that, he would have been at least tied for top and probably uniquely top.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:57 am Thankfully the challenger didn't win, I couldn't have coped with another day of 5 vowels straight off on each of his selections!
I think there is nothing wrong with 5 vowels at all, and there’s nothing wrong with the order chosen. 5 vowlels still appear in everyday words such as AUDITIONS, INANIMATE, EPAULETTE, etc.

What some players like to do is try all the choices evenly; 3/4/5 vowels and 6 small/1/2/3/4 large, and conundrums, eventually becoming a solid all-rounder.

Separately, RUINABLE in the REBURIAL round.
Series 78 Runner-up
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

5 in a row every time shows no thought about what might be available - childish in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with 5 vowels for sure, but not like that!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Philip A wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:35 am
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:57 am Thankfully the challenger didn't win, I couldn't have coped with another day of 5 vowels straight off on each of his selections!
I think there is nothing wrong with 5 vowels at all, and there’s nothing wrong with the order chosen. 5 vowlels still appear in everyday words such as AUDITIONS, INANIMATE, EPAULETTE, etc.

What some players like to do is try all the choices evenly; 3/4/5 vowels and 6 small/1/2/3/4 large, and conundrums, eventually becoming a solid all-rounder.

Separately, RUINABLE in the REBURIAL round.
Surely the best way of picking letters is to go with 3C/3V or 4C/3V to start with (doesn't matter about the order/pattern they go in) and to proceed from there? Sometimes 3 vowels is best, sometimes 4 and sometimes 5.