Notifications

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Notifications

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I like the new notifications system, it is good that you get notifications of people commenting on your games and ones you've commented on since a lot of the time you don't always see this on recent history for whatever reason (Innis just done something amazing and it's spammed by Game Noms).

This came up at the side when I was on the notifications page:

{"text":"

\"0\" You have no notifications<\/a>.<\/p><\/div>","title":0}
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: General feedback

Post by Adam Gillard »

I got 55 notifications dating back over the last 8 days, but this included two "Mr Dog commented on your game with him", one from February 2011 and another from September 2010. Not sure why these were included in the last 8 days, unless Mr Dog only just got round to commenting on them. Might be worth removing Mr Dog from this notifications system altogether, since he only ever tells you what % you scored in the Top Dogging.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

I beat Adam with 64 notifications. In your face, Gillard!!!

This is a good feature. One thing to note is that it seems that GoTW results don't get a mention here. If you have a game in the running for GoTW, a notification to say where it placed would be a good thing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:This came up at the side when I was on the notifications page:

What browser?
Josh Hurst wrote: This is a good feature. One thing to note is that it seems that GoTW results don't get a mention here. If you have a game in the running for GoTW, a notification to say where it placed would be a good thing.
Done. (GOTW noms and candidates should already be notified.)
Adam Gillard wrote: Might be worth removing Mr Dog from this notifications system altogether, since he only ever tells you what % you scored in the Top Dogging.
Done.

Thanks all, good feedback so far.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Notifications

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Oh, and being really picky. Can it say "You have no new notifications." and then when you get a notification it could say "You have 1 new notification." Because it says at the moment "You have no notifications." BUT THIS ISN'T TRUE!!!!!!! because I DO HAVE notifications, 46 in fact!!!! So by saying I have "no notifications" rather than "no new notifications" it really grinds on my OCD and then I start to go all mental and stuff.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:This came up at the side when I was on the notifications page:

What browser?
Firefox 4
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Oh, and being really picky. Can it say "You have no new notifications." and then when you get a notification it could say "You have 1 new notification." Because it says at the moment "You have no notifications." BUT THIS ISN'T TRUE!!!!!!! because I DO HAVE notifications, 46 in fact!!!! So by saying I have "no notifications" rather than "no new notifications" it really grinds on my OCD and then I start to go all mental and stuff.
If I do that then it runs onto a second line and looks crappy.

It seems Firefox 4 has some parsing issues, but I've stuck in a workaround which should fix that for now. Let me know if you see that problem again.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Is there a notification if someone beats a high score that you had most recently held? That would be cool (notifications for tying might not be such a good idea due to formats like Normal Numbers Attack and Normal Conundrum Attack).
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:Is there a notification if someone beats a high score that you had most recently held? That would be cool (notifications for tying might not be such a good idea due to formats like Normal Numbers Attack and Normal Conundrum Attack).
Interesting idea.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

I got a notification saying "Your entry in Game of the Week was placed 1st", but when I clicked on said notification, it turned out that my game had actually come 2nd. Did you put this in as a deliberate error to see if I'd notice the "newly fixed but previously absent notification" which I moaned about? I don't like Charlie and his bitter house of lies. Getting people's hopes up like that is just not on. It's kind of similar to, but also the opposite of last week, when one of my course-mates got told that she got a Desmond in her degree. She was so disappointed, and said she considered just walking out in front of a bus when going home (I think she was joking about that, a little bit). She later got a phone call saying the result had been given in error, and that she actually got a 2:1. Anyway, that's kind of irrelevant, but the moral of all of this is... don't fuck your degree up by getting into a spiral of financial chaos resulting from sending your student loan forms off late, not getting them processed until way into the uni year, getting out of sync with payments and behind with rent, then requiring to borrow money from the hardship fund, to be told that your results are being withheld due to outstanding payments owed to the University, and ultimately nearly committing suicide. PHEW.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

In the last day or so, comments on my watched topics in this forum have been triggering an e-mail to me. This hasn't happened in years, and I can't seem to stop it happening. What did I do?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Ian Volante wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:59 pm In the last day or so, comments on my watched topics in this forum have been triggering an e-mail to me. This hasn't happened in years, and I can't seem to stop it happening. What did I do?
Haven't had any (yet) but looking at my settings it does appear to have changed. Suspect a forum software upgrade or something to blame!

Presumably unticking the boxes will stop it!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ah thanks, I thought I'd been through all the options, but didn't seem to spot that lot.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles