Spoilers for Monday 22nd May 2023 (Series 87, Heat 86)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Monday 22nd May 2023 (Series 87, Heat 86)

Post by Ryan Lam »

Oh my goodness, Ronan's simply too fast on the buzzer thar I have no time to even think about the conundrums even though those are ones I can solve! He's a superhuman at this rate...damn...

Halfway to becoming an Octochamp. I hope he can really end a close to four-month drought soon! Who knows, he may go all the way to become another 1000-club member...
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Monday 22nd May 2023 (Series 87, Heat 86)

Post by Steve Hyde »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:00 pm Who knows, he may go all the way to become another 1000-club member...
Level with Luke Johnson-Davies' total after 4 episodes, so if the maxes are kind there's every chance. Great stuff so far
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

PAREMIA in R7
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

As of today's episode, 8,164 episodes of Countdown have been broadcast. Naturally there are significant caveats to this number* because there are so many ways to define what counts as an "episode", but for everything before the current series I've gone with "if it has an entry in my database and a broadcast date, it counts".

4,082 of these have a broadcast date on or before 1st July 2005, which was Richard Whiteley's last episode.

As of today, there are exactly as many post-Whiteley episodes as Whiteley episodes.

* This includes series games, Championships of Champions, the Supreme Championship, the 30th Birthday Championship, all the various other championships (e.g. Junior Championship), and Special episodes such as themed specials, the Noel's House Party Gotcha, and so on, up to and including 22nd May 2023. Each five-part Masters game is counted as one episode. Celebrity Countdown and Catsdown are not counted. Episodes recorded but not broadcast are not counted. Any mistakes I haven't noticed are unfortunate.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:00 pm Oh my goodness, Ronan's simply too fast on the buzzer thar I have no time to even think about the conundrums even though those are ones I can solve! He's a superhuman at this rate...damn...

Halfway to becoming an Octochamp. I hope he can really end a close to four-month drought soon! Who knows, he may go all the way to become another 1000-club member...
Many thanks Ryan, hope you're enjoying it so far.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Graeme Cole wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:51 pm As of today's episode, 8,164 episodes of Countdown have been broadcast. Naturally there are significant caveats to this number* because there are so many ways to define what counts as an "episode", but for everything before the current series I've gone with "if it has an entry in my database and a broadcast date, it counts".

4,082 of these have a broadcast date on or before 1st July 2005, which was Richard Whiteley's last episode.

As of today, there are exactly as many post-Whiteley episodes as Whiteley episodes.

* This includes series games, Championships of Champions, the Supreme Championship, the 30th Birthday Championship, all the various other championships (e.g. Junior Championship), and Special episodes such as themed specials, the Noel's House Party Gotcha, and so on, up to and including 22nd May 2023. Each five-part Masters game is counted as one episode. Celebrity Countdown and Catsdown are not counted. Episodes recorded but not broadcast are not counted. Any mistakes I haven't noticed are unfortunate.
As someone who appeared in what turned out to be his fourth-last show (final Q-F) and was in the audience for what turned out to be his final one, this makes me feel very old indeed.
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Interesting stat Graeme. I bet you've been sitting on this for a while.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

23 years for the first 4082, only 18 for the second 4082.

I imagine there are some interesting Vorderman / Riley stats. Carol will have done more shows, but I guess Rachel has done more numbers games and put up more letters?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:25 am Interesting stat Graeme. I bet you've been sitting on this for a while.
Improbably enough, no. By a happy coincidence I only thought to work it out last night.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Ronan M Higginson wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 am Many thanks Ryan, hope you're enjoying it so far.
I certainly am! Amazing display from such a young person like you! :)