Finals Brackets

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Finals bracket preferences-in general

Seeded
100%
Random
No votes

Total votes: 7

Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Finals Brackets

Post by Matt Rutherford »

This is more one for curiosity. It's a decision I've had to mull over for other, non-CD tournaments I run. But which kind of finals brackets would work best, in general, in your view? Does it vary from game to game? Would CD be better with random?

From my view, seeded allows people to plot permutations of where there'll end up, which can create some interesting outlooks, and also provides higher seeds with 'easier' draws (in theory), thus rewarding them for their efforts to get high up the table. Random means then that people can't game the system (as I've seen it happen before) and also has the benefit of being potentially madcap

Thoughts from a group of fellow mental competition geeks? :ugeek:
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Re: Finals Brackets

Post by Dan Byrom »

I think it entirely depends on the level of competitiveness.

If it's something casual amongst friends, then random is more fun.

But if people care about the result, then I think seeding is the best to try and reduce the influence of randomness in the results.

Co:events work beautifully with a bit of both
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Finals Brackets

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I voted seeded but it depends on the situation (I think the CoCs should be seeded by the way). The worst way of doing it though (which some CO-events have been guilty of) is to redo the draw after each round based on the seeds left. So if 8 beats 1 in the QF, by rights they should play 4/5 in the SF. But some events would have them playing seed 2 (if 2 beats 7).