Type 2 diabetes

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Type 2 diabetes

Post by Marc Meakin »

Just had a telephone consult with a doctor (not sure what my GP looks like)
He said my reading was 49 so I'm technically diabetic.
But i will do my best to change my diet and exercise more.
Anyone here type 2?
Advice is welcome.
Maybe cancel the escooter
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Re: Type 2 diabetes

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:13 pm Just had a telephone consult with a doctor (not sure what my GP looks like)
He said my reading was 49 so I'm technically diabetic.
But i will do my best to change my diet and exercise more.
Anyone here type 2?
Advice is welcome.
Maybe cancel the escooter
People can and do reverse it, but it does need real willpower and commitment.

I thoroughly recommend signing up for parkrun - there are plenty of people there in your situation walking at the back and seeing real change. Don't be put off by "run" - it's very inclusive. There's a real community feel, and Gev can add you to his list :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What Fiona said.

Edit - Also I've no idea what 49 really means, but "technically diabetic" sounds like you're not that far along the line.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:43 pm What Fiona said.

Edit - Also I've no idea what 49 really means, but "technically diabetic" sounds like you're not that far along the line.
HbA1C of 49, is that clearer πŸ˜€.
I think 43-48 is prediabetic
I am put off by the run part in Parkrun
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:12 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:43 pm What Fiona said.

HbA1C of 49, is that clearer πŸ˜€.
I think 43-48 is prediabetic
I am put off by the run part in Parkrun
https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2023/02/02/ ... t-parkrun/
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I've got my barcode but maybe tomorrow at 9 is a bit soon but maybe on my next Saturday off
Plus I've got some Quizzing in Canterbury tomorrow morning (see post in questions you always wanted answered)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I'm on 42 and classed as pre-diabetic which according to the pre-diabetic nurse I can undo with the right diet and exercise. she says that once diabetic you are always a diabetic - but I'm not sure I believe her. My wife is diabetic type 2 and has been for years, borderline and I reckon she could get her measure down.
Exercise doesn't need to be as extreme as a RUN! Take heart and good luck.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think your nurse has outdated information.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:34 pm I've got my barcode but maybe tomorrow at 9 is a bit soon but maybe on my next Saturday off
Plus I've got some Quizzing in Canterbury tomorrow morning (see post in questions you always wanted answered)
I missed parkrun for the first time in a while today (last time was when I did a marathon). I've got a persistent foot injury and decided that not even walking it might speed up the recovery.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:03 am
I missed parkrun for the first time in a while today (last time was when I did a marathon). I've got a persistent foot injury and decided that not even walking it might speed up the recovery.
Hope it gets better soon. Very frustrating for you :(
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thanks, Fiona.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:15 am I'm on 42 and classed as pre-diabetic which according to the pre-diabetic nurse I can undo with the right diet and exercise. she says that once diabetic you are always a diabetic - but I'm not sure I believe her. My wife is diabetic type 2 and has been for years, borderline and I reckon she could get her measure down.
Exercise doesn't need to be as extreme as a RUN! Take heart and good luck.
Thanks
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thanks Ian
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:03 am
This might be for you! :lol:

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

So the recommendation for someone who has a long walk to work through farmland that he finds so painful he is thinking of getting an escooter is that he should do parkruns, but walk?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

David Williams wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:20 pm So the recommendation for someone who has a long walk to work through farmland that he finds so painful he is thinking of getting an escooter is that he should do parkruns, but walk?
My ribs are getting better and it's only the steep hill that I find hard.
I know I shouldn't escooter before I can walk but the escooter idea came before the diabetes diagnosis.
I did the walk to work (train station to goes near work) yesterday to see the feasibility of using the escooter and apart from one cattle grid with a gate next to it it's mainly paths.
To justify the escooter idea I figured that by the time I get home from work I will no longer be too tired to take the dog out for a long walk.
But hey onwards and upwards I've lost 2 pounds in a day by eating healthy and 20000 mainly vigorous steps
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:28 am But hey onwards and upwards I've lost 2 pounds in a day by eating healthy and 20000 mainly vigorous steps
It's called having a shit.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

David Williams wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:20 pm So the recommendation for someone who has a long walk to work through farmland that he finds so painful he is thinking of getting an escooter is that he should do parkruns, but walk?
I'd assume the rib pain is temporary after a fall. Ignore the "run" bit - the recommendation is that by doing a regular group event, you very quickly find you're part of a community that motivates you to keep going. I guarantee if Marc (or anyone else) goes and walks a parkrun, he will chat to people, find encouragement and come away with a sense of achievement and a desire to see if he can walk it a bit faster the next week. If he's managed to walk 20,000 steps in a day, he'll have no trouble with a palkwalk. There are other walking groups that he could investigate but the ones I've seen generally have people all walking together which can be frustrating if you're slower/faster than the main group. But accept it's not for everyone - has transformed my life though and I'm not alone.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I'm sure parkruns are marvellous for many people, but they won't engender more commitment than walking to work or owning a dog. You have to do them, rain or shine. And for someone who does 20,000 vigorous steps a day the extra won't make any difference. Try swimming or cycling, though my suspicion would be that anyone who walks that far is physically as fit as they are likely to get. If it's diet or exercise that is the issue, I'd be looking at my diet first.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

But if you do parkrun you get to go on the parkrun PB list on this forum.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

David Williams wrote: ↑Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:36 am I'm sure parkruns are marvellous for many people, but they won't engender more commitment than walking to work or owning a dog. You have to do them, rain or shine. And for someone who does 20,000 vigorous steps a day the extra won't make any difference. Try swimming or cycling, though my suspicion would be that anyone who walks that far is physically as fit as they are likely to get. If it's diet or exercise that is the issue, I'd be looking at my diet first.
Quite agree that if Marc is already walking 20000 steps a day, then he's not gonna benefit from walking a parkrun. His original post suggested he needed to "exercise more", which, if he's already walking 10 miles a day, is probably not the issue.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I should add the caveat that 20000 steps has not been a regular thing for quite some time.
I usually hit 15000 steps on a work day but that's not vigorous.

To add to my rib pain I have just realised ibuprofen was a contributor to my shortness of breath
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:15 am
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:28 am But hey onwards and upwards I've lost 2 pounds in a day by eating healthy and 20000 mainly vigorous steps
It's called having a shit.
Sorry to put the image in your head but I always weigh myself after a shit