Countdown adjudication dictionary

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown adjudication dictionary

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:08 am I have been a Countdown viewer for in excess of 25 years and really am only interested in the spectacle of the television programme with the hope that I may know a few words and on occasions actually beat the contestants (and perhaps DC). What annoys me most is when these "high fliers" come up with words that no-one has actually heard of let alone used as they are buried deep in the small print of the dictionary (which ever one is being used).

Moving to Scrabble lists would be a really bad idea in my view as there are so many really non-words in use there.

Countdown is a television programme, Apterous isn't.
I concur with most of what you said and probably represent 99% of viewers but I must take you to task over CSW ' non words'
Could you elaborate?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Not off the top of my head, but many years ago when I was a bit more into Scrabble I came across the so called Scrabble Dictionary which contained a ridiculous set of words, many only 1, 2 or 3 letters long.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think they are words alright but a means to an end in Scrabble as hooks are fundamental to the game and the all have meaning if not neccessarily in coomon usage
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 am I think they are words alright but a means to an end in Scrabble as hooks are fundamental to the game and the all have meaning if not neccessarily in coomon usage
But we aren't interested in Scrabble at this point!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:57 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 am I think they are words alright but a means to an end in Scrabble as hooks are fundamental to the game and the all have meaning if not neccessarily in coomon usage
But we aren't interested in Scrabble at this point!
True but you cited CSW as not fit as a dictionary for Countdown due to non-words of 2 and 3 letters. I have watched Countdown since it started and there are seldom if any 3 letter words declared in Countdown
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

If I was the producer of Countdown I'd be trying to do two impossible and contradictory things. To remove all subjectivity, so there is no doubt about whether a word is valid or not. And to make it as difficult as possible to learn all the valid words. As an aside, I imagine it would be possible to learn every possible combination of four large numbers, but I wouldn't want to watch it.

One thing I do think should be considered is simply going by the dictionary, in particular scrapping the 'restaurant' rule. I don't know about now, but originally there were far more things than food and drink in it - minerals, emotions etc. And when I actually looked some years ago, most of the words that were solely mass nouns when it first came out had count noun meanings as well by that time. The rule had become pointless.

MAUVER is an example of a word that has been a 50/50 bet over the years. If MAUVE is an adjective and it's one syllable, then in my book MAUVER is fine, whether you think it makes sense or not.

But there will always be grey areas. If you're going to always allow plurals of mass nouns if there are some in the example sentences, just say so in the contestants' briefing notes. And when specific subjective decisions have to be made, put them in the briefing notes as examples as well, say whether the word will or will not be allowed in the future. There won't be that many, and they would help as an easily accessible precedent for similar offerings.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Yeah I hate when I'm watching football and the players are better than me.
cheers maus
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I think my main take about the dictionary thing is - with no place where you can reliably look up whether or not a word is in - whether or not that's a paper dictionary, online one, word list, just a lookup page, whatever - is if you're a casual viewer or just want to play the game with your mates. You're sat with your mum or whatever watching the show, how do you convince her that something like aifrins or ealdorman etc is in, when no freely available dictionary has it and it barely returns anything on Google? Lexico used to at least try to redirect you to the right page, but the new site just has a different dictionary. Sure, it's valid on apterous, but that means nothing to a normal person! I guess lexico premium does work for this, but it's a shame that it's paywalled and a casual viewer isn't going to want to subscribe for a year - and even then all the rules about comparatives and stuff aren't baked in. Whatever dictionary is used should have somewhere where you can reliably check whether or not a word is in, whatever form that may take. People have created apterous for this, but it's not official or well known enough for the wider public.
cheers maus
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:24 pm Yeah I hate when I'm watching football and the players are better than me.
If you equate watching football with watching Countdown, and your objective watching Countdown is to prove to your mum that you're better than the contestants, I'm inclined to believe this is true.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

David Williams wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:17 pm If MAUVE is an adjective and it's one syllable, then in my book MAUVER is fine, whether you think it makes sense or not.

But there will always be grey areas.
Or purple, apparently.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dame Eadie
Rookie

Post by Dame Eadie »

While i'm here taking a kicking, let's talk about Scrabble.
A game probably intended to kill those intermediate hours at Xmas between the main meal and evening piss-up.
These days, they have a world championship, they take themselves seriously, but the larger world has thankfully seen through it.
Chess, you get the same pieces.
Scrabble - you get what you get, and tough shit if it ain't good enough.
Pretty sure that most players who get both blanks will win.
And you get those absurdly over-rated plays of ZO, QI, XU etc.

For me - Scrabble needs to evolve into 2023.
How can X be worth 8pts when it goes with all the vowels as a 2-letter word?
It's the easiest tile to play in the whole game.
Get out.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:13 am While i'm here taking a kicking, let's talk about Scrabble.
A game probably intended to kill those intermediate hours at Xmas between the main meal and evening piss-up.
These days, they have a world championship, they take themselves seriously, but the larger world has thankfully seen through it.

Get out.
I'm all for evolving scrabble, why downgrade X and Z maybe Elevate Q, C and V.
Also isn't it time to play face to face scrabble on a tablet or IPad, no more overdrawing or dropped tiles or miscalculating., no more need for pen and paper.
Not sure you are right about winning with both blanks though.
I havent beaten any elite players without both blanks though.

On that subject maybe Countdown can use tablets too.
You could see contestants scribblings when words are declared

Also, why can't Countdown have a world championship.
There is enough global interest surely?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:13 am While i'm here taking a kicking
Wasn't the intention - was just intended to be a discussion, but great that you've humoured us by engaging!
Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:13 am While i'm here taking a kicking, let's talk about Scrabble.
wh
Get out.
But yeah Scrabble was a board game that some people took seriously, regulated and invented rules that weren't part of the original game in order to be able to play competitively. But there are plenty of casual players with no intention of playing tournaments who enjoy playing on online platforms - that wouldn't be possible without the rules and common dictionaries.

Countdown's origins are different - the board game followed the TV show. I'm pretty sure the board game doesn't mandate the dictionary to be used, but I could be wrong (will check when I get home)

I still don't see how a definitive (albeit reviewed in a version controlled way from time to time) word list could be seen as anything other than an advantage to the game. The current dictionary does have ambiguities, and there have been inconsistent adjudications on the show (not a criticism - such is the nature when entries require human interpretation and judgement.) If that was agreed, then CSW would be the logical choice as it is common to a word game that is already widely enjoyed and has plenty of serious players who could be contenders for series finals/champions.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Is there a genuine dislike of Scrabble on this community?
I feel as they are both word games you would think, like me that both are interesting in different ways even though I consider Countdown to be purely a words and numbers game with little strategy but pure knowledge and study and little luck and and Countdown is a combination of knowledge and strategy and as Damien has pointed out quite a bit of luck.

I am very much a big fan of both and wished they used the same dictionaries as it would be a way of uniting the communities.
Maybe Co event organisers could tell me how many Scrabblers go to these events as maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree on this
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:31 am Is there a genuine dislike of Scrabble on this community?
I sure hope so.

Anyway the feeling seems to be mutual. I went to one scrabble event in Dublin and it was full of old ladies who didn't like Countdown. They seemed to have a problem with Rachel in particular and this was long before they would have had good reason to (and I suspect these middle class biddies would have agreed with her anti-Corbyn stance anyway. She's probably gone up in their estimation).

They definitely took it far too seriously and it wasn't fun. Nobody went for a drink after either. Isn't that the point of Co-events?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:03 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:31 am Is there a genuine dislike of Scrabble on this community?
I sure hope so.

Anyway the feeling seems to be mutual. I went to one scrabble event in Dublin and it was full of old ladies who didn't like Countdown. They seemed to have a problem with Rachel in particular and this was long before they would have had good reason to (and I suspect these middle class biddies would have agreed with her anti-Corbyn stance anyway. She's probably gone up in their estimation).

They definitely took it far too seriously and it wasn't fun. Nobody went for a drink after either. Isn't that the point of Co-events?
I think 2 day events normally have a meal or a drink afterwards.

I do have a funny anecdote involving drink and Scrabble.
At the World Championships in Nottingham where they let plebs like me enter I was due to play someone after the lunchbreak on day 1, someone from Nigeria with a reputation. He hadn't shown up after the next game started so the TD started his clock after 13 minutes he showed up with a bottle of lucozade clearly full of vodka.
Before he sat down he asked to swap seats due to wanting to be by the radiator.
When I realised that the clock had me 13 minutes in arrears I called the director.
Needless to say after we swapped back places he then thrashed me scoring over 500 points
Dame Eadie
Rookie

Post by Dame Eadie »

Fiona T wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:07 am
Wasn't the intention - was just intended to be a discussion, but great that you've humoured us by engaging!
Yeah sure, i was being tongue-in-cheek, or whatever it's called.
Fiona T wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:07 am I still don't see how a definitive (albeit reviewed in a version controlled way from time to time) word list could be seen as anything other than an advantage to the game. The current dictionary does have ambiguities, and there have been inconsistent adjudications on the show (not a criticism - such is the nature when entries require human interpretation and judgement.) If that was agreed, then CSW would be the logical choice as it is common to a word game that is already widely enjoyed and has plenty of serious players who could be contenders for series finals/champions.
I'm with you on the inconsistencies 100%, it's not ideal at all, but i don't believe there's been enough of them to warrant a total overthrow of the Oxford dictionary.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Get out.
Everyone’s entitled to their say. But that’s a poor take on the game, I’m afraid.

Scrabble has evolved and is still evolving because of additions of new words to represent evolving language, and technology such as cardboxing and analytical engines have greatly improved standard since the turn of the century. We’ve had debates before on whether the scoring system/letters distribution should change because of the introduction of words such as QI and more recently ZE. Still no change. The letter value and tile distribution is based on frequency in English. The 2s are indeed liberally common and advantageous in the Scrabble game maths-wise, but the letters themselves such as J, Q, X and Z are still rarely used in English, hence they appear once only. There are 4 Ss and are worth 1 point but they too are also an easy tile, like the two blanks. So that’s 10 powerful tiles in total. The distribution and scoring system remains as balanced as it can be. Reducing the points values of the letters would be killing the game in my view. The game should respect how Alfred Butts created it (he determined distribution by counting letter frequency in New York Times newspapers).

I partook in the National Championships in 2022: the pendulum swing is massive, the games are on a knife’s edge. You can get very lucky at the start. But the tables can turn very quickly: your rack can degenerate and your opponent can win from 100 or even 200 behind. There’s always that danger of things going wrong due to carelessness. You have to be careful where you play your letters; if you’re ahead, avoid putting an I next to premium squares so you don’t get bombed with QI. You also have to be good with 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s and 8s equally (9s or more is a bonus too). You also have to look out for hooks, extensions and infill players, analyse risk/reward in each turn, and check you’ve tracked unseen tiles corretly. Mistracking can be costly.

Tournaments also match up players as fairly as possible. I think begins with mismatches at first (I played Brett Smitheram in my first game, I didn’t win but it was a good contest, all swings and roundabouts with me leading early on), according to ratings, and then it leads to closer matchups at the tournament nears its end, so 1st plays 2nd, 3rd plays 4th etc. It does get better as the tournament goes along and in the end 90% of the time the results reflect their ratings. It’s all bored out. Tournaments are great, they way their set up produces accurate and fair results. Plus you can win more games and tournaments if you improve and persevere. Your time will come.

For sure, luck is inescapable, as in some games. But the top poker players know when to fold. Chess is purely logical which is why it’s so pooular, but I don’t play it because I am rubbish at it (hundreds of attempts to beat Magnus at 8 years old on the app). Word and number games are my forte, even if some of them have luck involved. We all have very different tastes, strengths/weaknesses. Games have different strengths/weaknesses too. I love the strategy element behind Scrabble and that’s why I play it. I don’t care if I’m down on my luck. Countdown is a great game and great to watch. But it’s repetitive and has little tactics involved compared to other games.

Evolution into current times does not warrant complete rule changes. On TV, formats have been axed because they’ve deviated the format way too much from the original. In 2010, Millionaire did away with Fastest Finger (were they mad?) and enforced a time limit which if the contestants went over, they’d lose their money. It was disastrous, it made the game forced. Chris Tarrant didn’t like the changes and walked away 4 years later. In the current version, you get more responsibilities with the extra lifeline and the setting of the second safety net; an example of how to improvise a format. Countdown has kept the goals the same; find the longest word, hit the target, unravel the conundrum before your opponent. The evolution bit is in the use of an online living dictionary, the adjudication dictionary being bigger than ever before: and of course online play and apps which helps players up their game. Pre-tech, players had to anagram completely manually. They have also changed the letter distribution a few times over the years (I think 1980s Countdown had a lot of ‘hard’ consonants like F, H, V etc). Still the game we all know and love.

You have to be so careful with change. Changes should improvise formats, not compromise them. Making the X 2 points just because of AX, EX, OX, XI and XU, I think on balance would do the latter.

I do agree on your take about the dictionary. I think only minor changes are needed rather than an overhaul, such as more accurate clarity on inflections. The regional spellings on ODP are way, way too rare as well, and IMO is not great for home players, the main point as highlighted by Mark Deeks earlier in this thread.
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Get out.
I think this is a poor take on Scrabble.

Scrabble has evolved and is still evolving because of additions of new words to represent evolving language, and technology such as cardboxing and analytical engines have greatly improved standard since the turn of the century. We’ve had debates before on whether the scoring system/letters distribution should change because of the introduction of words such as QI and more recently ZE. Still no change. The letter value and tile distribution is based on frequency in English. The 2s are indeed liberally common and advantageous in the Scrabble game maths-wise, but the letters themselves such as J, Q, X and Z are still rarely used in English, hence they appear once only. There are 4 Ss and are worth 1 point but they too are also an easy tile, like the two blanks. So that’s 10 powerful tiles in total. The distribution and scoring system remains as balanced as it can be. Reducing the points values of the letters would be killing the game in my view. The game should respect how Alfred Butts created it (he determined distribution by counting letter frequency in New York Times newspapers).

I partook in the National Championships in 2022: the pendulum swing is massive, the games are on a knife’s edge. You can get very lucky at the start. But the tables can turn very quickly: your rack can degenerate and your opponent can win from 100 or even 200 behind. There’s always that danger of things going wrong due to carelessness. You have to be careful where you play your letters; if you’re ahead, avoid putting an I next to premium squares so you don’t get bombed with QI. You also have to be good with 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s and 8s equally (9s or more is a bonus too). You also have to look out for hooks, extensions and infill players, analyse risk/reward in each turn, and check you’ve tracked unseen tiles corretly. Mistracking can be costly.

Tournaments also match up players as fairly as possible. I think begins with mismatches at first (I played Brett Smitheram in my first game, I didn’t win but it was a good contest, all swings and roundabouts with me leading early on), according to ratings, and then it leads to closer matchups at the tournament nears its end, so 1st plays 2nd, 3rd plays 4th etc. It does get better as the tournament goes along and in the end 90% of the time the results reflect their ratings. It’s all bored out. Tournaments are great, the way they’re set up produces accurate and fair results. Plus you can win more games and tournaments if you improve and persevere. Your time will come.

For sure, luck is inescapable, as in some games. But the top poker players know when to fold. Chess is purely logical which is why it’s so popular (and more watchable than Scrabble, by far, I will admit), but I don’t play it because I am rubbish at it (hundreds of attempts to beat Magnus at 8 years old on the app). Word and number games are my forte, even if some of them have luck involved. We all have very different tastes, strengths/weaknesses. Games have different strengths/weaknesses too. I love the strategy element behind Scrabble and that’s why I play it. I don’t care if I’m down on my luck. Countdown is a great game and great to watch. But it’s repetitive and has little tactics involved compared to other games.

Evolution into current times does not warrant complete rule changes. On TV, formats have been axed because they’ve deviated the format way too much from the original. In 2010, Millionaire did away with Fastest Finger (were they mad?) and enforced a time limit which if the contestants went over, they’d lose their money. It was disastrous, it made the game forced. Chris Tarrant didn’t like the changes and walked away 4 years later. In the current version, you get more responsibilities with the extra lifeline and the setting of the second safety net; an example of how to improvise a format. Countdown has kept the goals the same; find the longest word, hit the target, unravel the conundrum before your opponent. The evolution bit is in the use of an online living dictionary, the adjudication dictionary being bigger than ever before: and of course online play and apps which helps players up their game. Pre-tech, players had to anagram completely manually. They have also changed the letter distribution a few times over the years (I think 1980s Countdown had a lot of ‘hard’ consonants like F, H, V etc). Still the game we all know and love.

You have to be so careful with change. Changes should improvise formats, not compromise them. Making the X 2 points just because of AX, EX, OX, XI and XU, I think on balance would do the latter.

I do agree on your take about the dictionary. I think only minor changes are needed rather than an overhaul, such as more accurate clarity on inflections. The regional spellings on ODP are way, way too rare as well, and IMO is not great for home players, the main point as highlighted by Mark Deeks earlier in this thread.
Series 78 Runner-up
Dame Eadie
Rookie

Post by Dame Eadie »

Not disliked by me. The game in itself is okay (although i wonder if having 9 of the vowel 'I' in the bag isn't a bit extreme), but the scoring is dated IMO.

Demote X J Z Q to 4pts each for a start.
Dame Eadie
Rookie

Post by Dame Eadie »

Philip A wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:04 pm I think this is a poor take on Scrabble.
I'm on about the game itself, not the dictionary. You say Scrabble has evolved, but then go on to talk about things that have nothing to do with Scrabble (the game), evolving.
The point values for the X J Q Z are wrong. Alfred Butts created the game without any knowledge of XU or ZE. I'm pretty certain if he were creating the game today, with CSW being around, he'd change them completely. He gave X an 8pt value because at the time, it was difficult to play, but in 2023 it's the easiest tile of the lot to get rid of. How is that evolving?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:23 pm
Not disliked by me. The game in itself is okay (although i wonder if having 9 of the vowel 'I' in the bag isn't a bit extreme), but the scoring is dated IMO.

Demote X J Z Q to 4pts each for a start.
Is it flippancy Friday or something 😊.
X and Z are far more useful than J or Q you only have to look at the 2,3,and 4 list to see that.
I do agree with you about the Is though.
The game is 100 plus years old so an update would be good maybe keeping vowels and consonants in seperated bags 😊
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Evolving or updating scrabble is one that needs exploring.
Evolution is a good thing, who would have thought 9 round Countdown needed updating.
Maybe in a few years, we will be talking about 10 letter Conundrums or random number selections increasing the 4 large selections, remember how popular the 37 was
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:30 pm
Philip A wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:04 pm I think this is a poor take on Scrabble.
I'm on about the game itself, not the dictionary. You say Scrabble has evolved, but then go on to talk about things that have nothing to do with Scrabble (the game), evolving.
The point values for the X J Q Z are wrong. Alfred Butts created the game without any knowledge of XU or ZE. I'm pretty certain if he were creating the game today, with CSW being around, he'd change them completely. He gave X an 8pt value because at the time, it was difficult to play, but in 2023 it's the easiest tile of the lot to get rid of. How is that evolving?
I disagree. The point values have not become any less wrong. You have to fine-tune your strategy. You have to adjust how you play your letters to the scoreline. Open if behind, close if ahead. Where you play is important: if you put an I to the right of a Triple Letter score, you risk being bombed by QI, so put a consonant next to it instead. You can even set up plays to give your letters more power with probability and heuristics.

You’ve also got the mid-scoring tiles which appear twice, the, C, H, M, V and Y which despite worth a bit less, also appear more frequently than J, Q, X and Z and can net you 40, 50 or even 60 points if you know 4/5/6 letter words which will reach the TLS and DWS. While of course the X is in all the 2s, the X still only appears in 7,194 words in CSW21 compared to 39,249 for the Y. Butts never changed the game since it boomed in the 1950s right up until he passed in 1993.

The X is a good tile but it’s not the ‘easiest’. The blank is by far the easiest as it can be any letter. The S and the Z are also easier than the X. Strange but true. https://www.cross-tables.com/leaves.ph Interestingly, the X has a negative value in CSW compared the smaller TWL dictionary. New words change equity values as well and that is what the top players adjust to, not just the face values as shown on the tiles themselves. There’s more than meets the eye.

You can’t just bank on QI, ZE and XU to the exclusion of everything else to win, especially in tournaments. I think once people master the 2s, they skip the 3-6s and go straight to bonus words. Down-valuing the J, Q, X and Z, for me, is the equivalent of removing all the trebles on a dartboard just because the wires are thinner and unstapled. It would break the game and actually do the opposite of evolving, so it’s a no from me.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

You could get a top bot (Quackle or something?) to play itself millions of times with different scoring systems, and see which gives the most balanced results.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:09 pm You could get a top bot (Quackle or something?) to play itself millions of times with different scoring systems, and see which gives the most balanced results.
Yep, exactly that. I think Quackle is the favourite but there’s another machine called Elise. You’ll be surprised what you miss when you enter your games on there. I always review my recent Countdown games to pay attention to what I miss.
Last edited by Philip A on Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, on Scrabble being unbalanced with each player getting different tiles, there is a solution:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:35 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:Until I read what duplicate Scrabble was I could only guess. I thought it might be something like this:

Two games of Scrabble are played simultaneously by the same two players. The tiles are put in a random order face down, but the same order for each game. Instead of picking tiles out of the bag, the players pick the next tiles along the line but they pick from the opposite end in each game and the opposite end to each other within each game. And they each play first in one of the two games.
Unless I hear anything to the contrary, I assume that simultaneous reverse Scrabble will be used in the next World championships. I'll discuss money later.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Chris Hawkins runs Duplicate Scrabble meetups on Zoom. I can recommend Duplicate Scrabble if you prefer a word game with no luck involved like Countdown (though Duplicate Scrabble does partly take away the social aspect, so has some downsides). Duplicate Scrabble is vastly more popular in French than it is in English.
Series 78 Runner-up
Dame Eadie
Rookie

Post by Dame Eadie »

Philip A wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:32 pm I disagree. The point values have not become any less wrong. You have to fine-tune your strategy etc etc etc
So you still think Alfred Butts would have given X an 8pt value had he seen the CSW word list today? It's playable with 42 vowel tiles as a 2-letter word, so it's never in a million years got a tariff of 8pt 'difficulty to play' in 2023. He wasn't wrong when he created the game, it's the non-evolution that is wrong.
Maybe Hasbro / Mattel / Spears or whoever don't have the legal rights to adjust the tile values.

Philip A wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:32 pm New words change equity values as well and that is what the top players adjust to, not just the face values as shown on the tiles themselves. There’s more than meets the eye.
With a sentence like that, you ought to become a Conservative MP, Philip :D
I've absolutely no idea what it's supposed to mean. And yes i've seen / heard of duplicate Scrabble, it's been around for years. That isn't going to change my thoughts on the tile values being wrong for this day and age. Put it this way, if during the next quarter of a century, some boffin discovers, in some far flung corner of the globe, words such as PX, FX, GX, HX, and QX, would it still warrant 8pts? If you think the answer is yes then good for you, but if you think no, then why is it still 8pts with XI, EX, OX, AX and XU? 42 partners, 42 !!!! Even the D has less !!!
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

@Dame Since Countdown did use to use Lexico which is now gone: the existence of the Google Dictionary supplied by Oxford Languages (found by Googling ‘dictionary’) makes me wonder whether this source is worth using to crossover if a word (especially an inflection) is not in Oxford Dictionaries Premium. I was surprised to see that FAUNAS is the only given plural of FAUNA in ODP which means faunae x is invalid. Faunae is a common plural and appears in the aforementioned Google dictionary. It also has inflections like mileages and shoutier which IMO are plausible. Might be worth looking in to? It’s much less voluminous than ODP but the difference in specified inflections are interesting.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It really doesn't matter what a tile value is worth if it's a level playing field.
You could argue, especially with Apterites why is a nine letter word worth an extra 9 points when with clever and lucky letters a 9 can be a lot easier to find than pre apterous times.
The reality is usually hard work reaps rewards.
Im not a lover of tile tracking in Scrabble and would be happy for 15 minute per player games are used to eradicate this but it does reap rewards
As for Philip being a Conservative MP, getting the subject matter focusing on something completely different to the original gripe is genius worthy of Rhys's pin-up boy. DE😊
Dame Eadie
Rookie

Post by Dame Eadie »

Philip A wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:34 pm @Dame Since Countdown did use to use Lexico which is now gone: the existence of the Google Dictionary supplied by Oxford Languages (found by Googling ‘dictionary’) makes me wonder whether this source is worth using to crossover if a word (especially an inflection) is not in Oxford Dictionaries Premium. I was surprised to see that FAUNAS is the only given plural of FAUNA in ODP which means faunae x is invalid. Faunae is a common plural and appears in the aforementioned Google dictionary. It also has inflections like mileages and shoutier which IMO are plausible. Might be worth looking in to? It’s much less voluminous than ODP but the difference in specified inflections are interesting.
Just looked - and while it seems helpful in places Oxford isn't, like giving IDEATA as the plural of IDEATUM, it doesn't do much for Mass Nouns or identifying what is strictly US only stuff, like ALUMINUM.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Dame Eadie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:26 pm
Philip A wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:34 pm @Dame Since Countdown did use to use Lexico which is now gone: the existence of the Google Dictionary supplied by Oxford Languages (found by Googling ‘dictionary’) makes me wonder whether this source is worth using to crossover if a word (especially an inflection) is not in Oxford Dictionaries Premium. I was surprised to see that FAUNAS is the only given plural of FAUNA in ODP which means faunae x is invalid. Faunae is a common plural and appears in the aforementioned Google dictionary. It also has inflections like mileages and shoutier which IMO are plausible. Might be worth looking in to? It’s much less voluminous than ODP but the difference in specified inflections are interesting.
Just looked - and while it seems helpful in places Oxford isn't, like giving IDEATA as the plural of IDEATUM, it doesn't do much for Mass Nouns or identifying what is strictly US only stuff, like ALUMINUM.
Fair enough, it’s also got outearn and sealion with out-earn and sea lion being much more common forms.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

We don't need that US rule of course...

And that out-earn / sea lion thing is a fault with Oxford. It doesn't matter which is more common. The question is whether outearn and sealion are common enough in their own right. Oxford always picks one or the other, which is stupid and very unhelpful for Countdown.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:28 pm We don't need that US rule of course...

And that out-earn / sea lion thing is a fault with Oxford. It doesn't matter which is more common. The question is whether outearn and sealion are common enough in their own right. Oxford always picks one or the other, which is stupid and very unhelpful for Countdown.
‘Stupid’ is a stretch.
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:28 pm We don't need that US rule of course...

Well it's interesting that BBC bitesized revision jobbies use percent - Oxford still insist on per cent.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I use ANISOLE on my SEALION
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:17 pm I use ANISOLE on my SEALION
We use ALOINES. :)
Series 78 Runner-up
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'm not entirely convinced that FAUNAE can be described as a common plural.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Steve Hyde wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:58 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:27 pm Should be on the Co events thread but what dictionary is used there?
Depends. At my one Co-event we used a combination ODO Premium, Lexplorer and Taking Tim Down's Word For It depending on what people had access to at each table
While a significant part of me quite fancies being the authority on what is and isn't a word, I'm not sure I'm a scalable solution to the problem.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Someone needs to tell specsavers that cleek is not valid in the countdown dictionary (only there as driving cleek and putting cleek) - it has featured in a couple of their adverts, so your average punter would be forgiven for thinking it was allowable!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:34 pm Someone needs to tell specsavers that cleek is not valid in the countdown dictionary (only there as driving cleek and putting cleek) - it has featured in a couple of their adverts, so your average punter would be forgiven for thinking it was allowable!
Maybe they shou... no I'm not doing it.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:34 pm Someone needs to tell specsavers that cleek is not valid in the countdown dictionary (only there as driving cleek and putting cleek) - it has featured in a couple of their adverts, so your average punter would be forgiven for thinking it was allowable!
They've been airing new Specsavers ads haven't they?
One of da 'Muricans
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:31 pm
Maybe they shou... no I'm not doing it.
I'll write to my MP.