Spoilers for Thursday 8 December 2022 (Series 86, Heat 124)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 8 December 2022 (Series 86, Heat 124)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Actually just making this thread to cover up the Finals Predictions title on the front page. People may not want to be spoiled that Rick lost.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 8 December 2022 (Series 86, Heat 124)

Post by Steve Hyde »

R8: biramous
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm pretty sure that Susie has always just told us that a tangelo is a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit, whereas Rufus Hound just toold us it was a cross between a tangerine and a pomelo. According to Wikipedia
The tangelo (/ˈtændʒəloʊ/ TAN-jə-loh, /tænˈdʒɛloʊ/ tan-JEL-oh; C. reticulata × C. maxima or × C. paradisi), Citrus × tangelo, is a citrus fruit hybrid of a Citrus reticulata variety, such as mandarin orange or tangerine, and a Citrus maxima variety, such as a pomelo or grapefruit. The name is a portmanteau of 'tangerine' and 'pomelo'.
So the name comes from pomelo at least. I think this counts as a point for Rufus over Susie.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

And Rachel wore her crude jumper again.
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:36 pm And Rachel wore her crude jumper again.
Between the jumper and Rufus Hound's baffling jazz odyssey, the whole episode had a distinctly CatsDown vibe to it today
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

RENGUERA in R1
PETALINE in R11

R14 Alt.: (10*9+1)*4+8+7 = 379
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So the make-it-up-as-you-go-along restsurant rule doesn't allow bacons.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:17 pm So the make-it-up-as-you-go-along restsurant rule doesn't allow bacons.
Because if you're having bacon, having plural strips is considered a given :mrgreen:
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Meat such as bacon, venison and mutton is not countable, whereas a dish such as tiramisu, bhoona, pilau is countable and uncountable. The lexicographer and director are being consistent and applying the rule correctly every show in recent series. Nothing wrong with the restaurant rule – more specifically, a ‘portion of’ or ‘unit of’ rule – its application. In fact they have been applying mass noun rules more consistently and are remaining true to going for what is grammatically correct and in common usage, hence disallowals of sedations x and mileages x. If you up ‘bacon’ and ‘pilau’ on this https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... on?q=bacon, it gives ‘bacon’ as uncountable and ‘pilau’ as both uncountable and countable.
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Philip A wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:12 pm Meat such as bacon, venison and mutton is not countable, whereas a dish such as tiramisu, bhoona, pilau is countable and uncountable. The lexicographer and director are being consistent and applying the rule correctly every show in recent series. Nothing wrong with the restaurant rule – more specifically, a ‘portion of’ or ‘unit of’ rule – its application. In fact they have been applying mass noun rules more consistently and are remaining true to going for what is grammatically correct and in common usage, hence disallowals of sedations x and mileages x. If you up ‘bacon’ and ‘pilau’ on this https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... on?q=bacon, it gives ‘bacon’ as uncountable and ‘pilau’ as both uncountable and countable.
Well according to that source, salmon is countable
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

True, but it does also state that the plural of salmon is the same, salmon, as does ODP. But at least history, including in this game, demonstrates consistent validity judgement. NACHOS was a nice get from Singh in that tricky round. I didn’t get BHOONAS.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:07 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:17 pm So the make-it-up-as-you-go-along restsurant rule doesn't allow bacons.
Because if you're having bacon, having plural strips is considered a given :mrgreen:
Yes, but it's about portions of (strips of) bacon!
Philip A wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:12 pm Meat such as bacon, venison and mutton is not countable, whereas a dish such as tiramisu, bhoona, pilau is countable and uncountable. The lexicographer and director are being consistent and applying the rule correctly every show in recent series. Nothing wrong with the restaurant rule – more specifically, a ‘portion of’ or ‘unit of’ rule – its application. In fact they have been applying mass noun rules more consistently and are remaining true to going for what is grammatically correct and in common usage, hence disallowals of sedations x and mileages x. If you up ‘bacon’ and ‘pilau’ on this https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... on?q=bacon, it gives ‘bacon’ as uncountable and ‘pilau’ as both uncountable and countable.
Yeah, I mean this did also get discussed on Apterous here for those that can read Apterous tickets (it's a special skill). They might be consistent, but it's still arbitrary, and unless it's specified in the contestant guidelines, it can lead to people having a seemingly reasonable word disallowed. Not everyone analyses every adjudication ever like we do on here. The point is that bacon is something that could be realistically listed on a menu and someone could ask for two bacons. Unless of course Countdown has decided that ordering meat is barbaric and outdated, and is just taking a stand against it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howie Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Howie Myers »

r13 alt: MONTAGE or MAGNETO