Colin Murray as Host (pros and cons)

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Colin Murray as Host (pros and cons)

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Thoughts?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Re: Colin Murray as Host (pros and cons)

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Too early to say, and now he's got covid!!!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Today he started the conundrum unexpectedly with a "Here we go".
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

PROS
1. He's not Anne Robinson.
2. Genuine love for the game.
3. Good rapport with the co-hosts.
4. Makes puns (like Richard did)
5. Gets excited when a game is close, and makes something of it (like Nick didn't)

CONS
1. Being too authoritarian with the whole "pens down" stuff is not a good look. He needs to calm down a bit.
2. Taking the declarations randomly based on his own whims about who seems more confident or whatever... that's a pretty awful thing to do. Imagine if a tennis umpire decided to force players to serve a point based on random crap rather than in a structured planned out way? As a sports presenter and fan, he should know better than to mess with that important tactical part of the game.
3. Suggesting that a letters round is easy, and that we should all have seen something, when neither of the contestants have managed to see a word that length.
4. Suggesting that the challenger ought to be starstruck when asking Rachel for letters for the first time.
5. Talking just that little bit too much.

Overall, some of his worst flaws are more likely teething troubles, and will fade away over time (assuming he has enough time to settle in). One thing I miss from the Anne era is the extra banter with contestants. Getting to know their personalities better was a nice development, With Colin, they've mostly gone back to being props again.
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

As a viewer, I couldn’t take to Colin. Until I filmed with him. I’m glad I had him, he was really nice. but do I want him to host full-time? I'm not sure- he’s like that really cool cover teacher who pops up every now and again and makes everyone really excited to see him. So if it is another different host who ends up being permanent, I’d still keep Colin as part of the show, as the official stand-in host if the regular host can’t make it (saves them having to move any recording dates around too) and the host of the occasional special episodes, as a little treat for the viewers.

Although I warmed to Anne over time too— just think she was a bit nosy at times. But she had a better rapport with Anne-Marie than she did with Rachel. The Corner guests in the Anne and onwards era seem to better too- bigger names and not relying on the same old faces in rotation.

So with your pros,
1. I agree- I didn't mind Anne that much but I don't think she'd have been as warm towards the contestants before filming etc as Colin was.
2. Agree- he's clearly a massive Countdown fan and that really comes across- was it on a recent show that he mentioned he'd wanted to host Countdown since he was a child? He seems starstruck simply by being on the set and I find that endearing.
3. Definitely- it's clear that Rachel and Susie absolutely adore him- there's more banter now again, probably the most since Jeff. It seems like under the Anne Robinson tenure, everyone was too afraid to banter with someone known as the Queen of Mean.
4. Disagree- I roll my eyes at Colin's puns- I know Richard did them too but they seemed to fit his personality more.
5. Absolutely agree- his excitement when there's a crucial is second-to-none.

And with your cons,
1. I genuinely haven't really noticed this that much- if it's any consolation, he seemed to have dropped that habit by the time I filmed so looks like he's settling in now, but even he seemed unsure if he'll be the permanent host. Like I said, he was lovely and I'd keep him as an official part of the show but not as full-time host- having an official stand-in host would be ideal if the regular host couldn't make it, and think Colin fits that mould (especially since I believe he does his radio show from Salford). After all, stand-in hosts as a concept are still regular things on the radio but not so much when it comes to TV. Colin doing the occasional shift and the special episodes would make his shows feel more eventful too.
2. This I agree with- I was very surprised during certain rounds where he'd come to me first (even if he'd come to me first in the previous round)- this was his main flaw.
3. I don't know- I think he's doing that just to play along with the show but see your point about how it could make contestants feel bad.
4. Ah, this is just a way of making them settle in and again, he didn't do this when I filmed so looks like he's improved as presenter over the last couple of months.
5. This I agree with- Colin was extremely nice and made a lot of small talk, he definitely made contestants feel relaxed, but i felt it was too much small talk, especially for a shy introvert like myself (I found myself uhming and ahhing a lot)- and with a lot of contestants on the show over the years having been shy introverts, I feel that's where Colin's weakness lies, because he's a pretty exuberant extrovert.

But filming with Colin gave me a completely new perspective on him- he was the loveliest man, and I'm enjoying watching his hosted shows as a viewer now in a way that I wasn't until filming with him.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

BREAKING NEWS: Colin Murray has been confirmed as the next permanent host of countdown:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... ently.html
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Rachel seems night-and-day happier.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

John Garcia wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:28 am BREAKING NEWS: Colin Murray has been confirmed as the next permanent host of countdown:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... ently.html
No other newspaper has reported this, Belfast Live claim he’s on for just a few more months beyond November. All speculation to me.
Series 78 Runner-up
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Philip A wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:04 pm No other newspaper has reported this, Belfast Live claim he’s on for just a few more months beyond November. All speculation to me.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0686 ... 703e54f975
Now Murray, 45, has been confirmed as the full-time host of the Channel 4 quiz, which, as the first programme to air on the newly launched channel in 1982, will celebrate its 40th birthday in November. His tenure was recently extended until March “at least”.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

John Garcia wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:38 pm
Philip A wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:04 pm No other newspaper has reported this, Belfast Live claim he’s on for just a few more months beyond November. All speculation to me.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0686 ... 703e54f975
Now Murray, 45, has been confirmed as the full-time host of the Channel 4 quiz, which, as the first programme to air on the newly launched channel in 1982, will celebrate its 40th birthday in November. His tenure was recently extended until March “at least”.
Just double-checked yesterday’s Sunday Times article. I do find the word ‘permanent’ very misleading. There is no such thing as a ‘permanent’ presenter. But it does look like he’ll continue to host for as long as he and they want to.
Series 78 Runner-up
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

When I recorded the other week, I was told that nothing had been confirmed re-Colin becoming the host, but that the crew were hoping he'd be made permanent. However, I reckon that the gap for filming the specials could be due to World Cup commitments? Thought Colin was great when I was there, and hope that he gets the job permanently, though I do think there is the odd thing or two that he could work on.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I watched Countdown on Monday and, you can't fault Colin's enthusiasm, treating the crucial conundrum like a throw, at a 9 darter.
I think Colin should get the gig for all the series finals and any CoCs as he shows the right amount of enthusiasm for a knockout tournament, but it's maybe a little OTT if 2 new contestants are playing
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Neil A Collins

Post by Neil A Collins »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:57 am he shows the right amount of enthusiasm for a knockout tournament, but it's maybe a little OTT if 2 new contestants are playing
Yes, this is close to my take too. I thought he was excellent in the Christmas special episodes - fun, friendly and obviously had a genuine love for the game and awe for the calibre of play.

However, he does talk too much - not everything needs a comment before and/or after, and certainly not a witty pun/sporting analogy or an over the top congratulations/commiserations *every* round.

On that note, can the 'champ'/'challenger' and just refer to the contestants by their names.

Dare I say he also needs to stop trying to play the game along with the contestants so much as well. I get it (I would probably do it too, and this was my only gripe with ZD), but it can come across as cocky and I think it possibly plays on some contestants too.

That probably comes across a little harsh, as I genuinely think he's a good host and a breath of fresh air compared to the last 18 months, just needs to dial it down a notch.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Les Dennis didn’t overdo it.
Series 78 Runner-up
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

[/quote]

Dare I say he also needs to stop trying to play the game along with the contestants so much as well. I get it (I would probably do it too, and this was my only gripe with ZD)
[/quote]

Don’t forget ZD was more of a masterclass, with mainly top level players. The whole point was to go through all other words/solutions available
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

The guidance notes for contestants tell you not to say "Please" every time you ask for a consonant. You probably wouldn't even realise you were doing it, but it can get irritating. You'd like to think that similar guidance might be offered to presenters. At least with Colin it's just asking him to do a bit less of something he's very good at, as opposed to asking Anne to do quite a few things she appeared to be completely incapable of. I do think any presenter should always be thinking what the function of a host is - to ensure that everyone else looks good and enjoys themselves. Solving a conundrum, offering a better word? Once a week, maximum.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Paul Anderson wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:04 pm [ / quote]
To do it properly, just float your mouse over the quote mark symbol in the top right corner of the post you wish to quote from, (when you hover over, it will tell you that that button is for "reply with quote"). Click that. Then just edit their quote down to the bit you want to use (or change the text if you are in the mood for a bit of healthy trolling) and you are good to go.