Anne Robinson to leave Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Anne Robinson to leave Countdown

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Anne has given a rather vicious interview to The Sun where she has said she quit because she refused to be employed by Channel 4, rather than remain freelance. Even a “huge” pay rise didn’t tempt her.

She has also admitted to asking for Rachel to be muted.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:18 am Anne has given a rather vicious interview to The Sun where she has said she quit because she refused to be employed by Channel 4, rather than remain freelance. Even a “huge” pay rise didn’t tempt her.

She has also admitted to asking for Rachel to be muted.
Would rather not talk about that rag but I see Anne's point- it sounds like Channel 4 wanted to have her in a golden handcuffs deal, which doesn't really make much sense because I can't really think of any other places on the channel that she'd fit- for Anne, freelance is the better option.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:06 am It was just that the divorce was so messy I can’t see Channel 4 going back to her. Of course, I have no idea what salary Rachel is on for Countdown (or Anne for that matter) but remember that Vorderman left in a dispute over pay, where they wanted to cut her salary from £900k to £90k in one go. Allegedly. So I would imagine that would be a stumbling block.

Yeah, that's the reason I thought of in the first place. Sounds typical in the jobs I've been in but I think that whole dispute got ugly in the end when she just got up and left.
One of da 'Muricans
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Andres Sanchez wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:36 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:06 am they wanted to cut her salary from £900k to £90k in one go.

Sounds typical in the jobs I've been in.
You are some man for one man, Andrex!
I hope the £900k salary was fun for you while it lasted.
(Mystery of how you were able to afford the set-up costs for Team Countdown is solved now, I guess!)

As to Carol and redemption... it would be redemption for Channel 4 after treating her shittily in 2008.
(I am not drinking the "business is business" "she was just an employee and as such expendable" "she had a good run" kool aid. She was part of the fabric of the show, and still is.)
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The show has struggled on for fourteen years without that particular piece of fabric, so perhaps she wasn't that integral.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:28 pm You are some man for one man, Andrex!
I hope the £900k salary was fun for you while it lasted.
Oh no I mean in general, just someone leaving because they got a salary cut.

Anywho, you're right; the show has gone pretty strong without Carol. I think its peak was with Nick Hewer honestly, but regardless I think it would be a little weird for Carol to just come back despite her welcoming start to the show. It's like a streaming service presenting a reboot of a previously televised teen show that everyone grew up watching, but it's just the future and revival of the main goals that the original set out for just to see how much money the producers/service can still get off of the show.

Yes, the analogy is a bit farfetched but I hope you get my idea.
One of da 'Muricans
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Carl Harrison wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:05 pm
Philip A wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:04 pm
Martin Long wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:54 pm When will be Anne's last episode as host?
July. Specifically, we understand this is to be shown on 13 July if correct, on the basis that she’s recorded 265 episodes.
How bizarre that Anne would film just the first few weeks of the next series, rather than leaving after the current series final, as has always been the case in the past. Sounds like this has all happened very quickly and perhaps unexpectedly.
It’s akin to Ronnie O’Sullivan’s walk out from the 2006 UK Snooker Championship: that’s it, I’ve had enough.

Anne’s demeanour simply wasn’t correct, from the start, middle and end.
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Philip A wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:46 pm Anne’s demeanour simply wasn’t correct, from the start, middle and end.
some bits I liked - I liked more chat with the contestants, gentle teasing is fine but put-downs/belittlement not so good. Conversational rather than interrogational - good example from yesterday - Jeremy Vine's chat with the challengers (including 'our' Kirk Bevins) on Eggheads - very different to Anne's belittlement of the contestants on CD.

Damo - chat good, interrogation not good.
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Many of Countdown’s past hosts (both Deses and now Anne) have said they found the commute up north to be quite a struggle- why not just hire someone who lives up north? Not hard.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I sent this to the head of Channel 4. Haven't heard back yet but I've filled up a tank to get to Leeds and back in optimistic expectation, seems likely I'll get a call. She must have just been busy yesterday.

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Christy Cooper wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:24 am Many of Countdown’s past hosts (both Deses and now Anne) have said they found the commute up north to be quite a struggle- why not just hire someone who lives up north? Not hard.
:idea:
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Or move the studios down south 😊
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:22 am Or move the studios down south 😊
Heresy!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Fiona T wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:35 pm
Philip A wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:46 pm Anne’s demeanour simply wasn’t correct, from the start, middle and end.
some bits I liked - I liked more chat with the contestants, gentle teasing is fine but put-downs/belittlement not so good. Conversational rather than interrogational - good example from yesterday - Jeremy Vine's chat with the challengers (including 'our' Kirk Bevins) on Eggheads - very different to Anne's belittlement of the contestants on CD.

Anne’s interviewing technique reminded me negatively of this: https://youtu.be/G07sWzYObnk
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:15 pm
Fiona T wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:35 pm

Anne’s interviewing technique reminded me negatively of this: https://youtu.be/G07sWzYObnk
That's a good reference. I also hate Sebastian Coe.
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

James Laverty wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:15 pm I said last year I thought she was a "stop-gap" host. Coincides nicely with Colin Murray's contract with Quest ending...
Well he's the "stop-gap" host again it seems - just give him the fecking job! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 918418.amp
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

George Armstrong wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:25 pm
James Laverty wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:15 pm I said last year I thought she was a "stop-gap" host. Coincides nicely with Colin Murray's contract with Quest ending...
Well he's the "stop-gap" host again it seems - just give him the fecking job! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 918418.amp
https://twitter.com/ColinMurray/status/ ... 8009764868

July 14 to start of November - November and December for CoC/40BC then?!?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Fiona T wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am
George Armstrong wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:25 pm
https://twitter.com/ColinMurray/status/ ... 8009764868

July 14 to start of November - November and December for CoC/40BC then?!?
35 episodes between 7 November and 23 December - gotta be a 40BC!
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

40BC unlikely IMO.
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Philip A wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:22 am 40BC unlikely IMO.
What do you reckon is filling 35 episodes between beginning of November and Christmas then?
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Fiona T wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:37 am
What do you reckon is filling 35 episodes between beginning of November and Christmas then?
The remainder of Series 86…. once a permanent host has been chosen.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Christy Cooper wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:18 pm
Well that doesn't fit with Colin's "end of season" comment, but maybe I did get prematurely excited!
Matthew White

Post by Matthew White »

Fiona T wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:55 pm
Christy Cooper wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:18 pm

Well that doesn't fit with Colin's "end of season" comment, but maybe I did get prematurely excited!
Excellent news, time to start watching regularly again instead of the one or two episodes a week of Anne I can manage to sit through.

Reading between the lines of the rest of the comments it sounds like what would be referred to as a 'probationary period' in any other line of work.

You're clearly not going to have the backstage issues you've had during Anne's tenure or he wouldn't have been invited back. Stick to what you know is always a good rule so the big question at the end of the season is if he and Channel 4 can fit Countdown around his other commitments, although I'd imagine not presenting snooker for Eurosport and The EFL on Quest highlights going to C4 and presumably a new presenter frees up a lot of his time. Just leaves the BBC podcasts and 5Live commitments he has I think. This is all obvious speculation though - and there's certainly a few users on here who'd have a more certain idea.

Should have gone straight to him after Nick left but presumably there's good reasons for not doing so.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Possibly Colin's done the old filming/broadcast dates mix-up and he's filling in all of the rest of S86.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

I mean makes sense for Colin to step in, he's done it before.
One of da 'Muricans
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:20 pm Possibly Colin's done the old filming/broadcast dates mix-up and he's filling in all of the rest of S86.
I doubt it as he also says 75 episodes, starting 14 July ending early Nov. My maths only gets to Wed 26 Oct but maybe there’s a few days with no shows on.

Sounds to me like there’s a definite strong chance of a 40BC mini series starting with a brand new presenter in Nov/Dec (actual 40th anniversary is Wed 2nd Nov).
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Repeats of something or movies while trying to compete with football world cup.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Just seen this.

Papers were saying about Carol returning. I think Colin would be a good interim host and permanent as well. Perhaps if he’s filming up until the end of October, maybe you could get Carol to interim present until the end of the year. I think a 40th BC wouldn’t be a bad idea, but not great. Maybe you could do some match ups/special matches or similar.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

I bet Carol Vorderman is the next presenter. Check her Twitter feed.
Series 78 Runner-up
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Philip A wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 pm I bet Carol Vorderman is the next presenter. Check her Twitter feed.
I reckon it's bait. She's got some other project on the go, but she (or her pr team) know if she's sufficiently vague it will get more hype because half the readers will assume it's CD
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Yeah, not for me. I liked her back in the day when she was on, however, she's been an embarrassment in the intervening years.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

I'm with Jack on this, probably just some other project.
One of da 'Muricans
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Nevermind, her first sub-tweet was it wasn’t Countdown.
Series 78 Runner-up
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

There's not a chance of Vorderman returning.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

I have nothing against old, veteren broadcasters presenting but I think it’s time we had a younger presenter: a presenter who could potentially plough 30 years into the role, while retirees are ploughing up to 30 years in ‘traditional’ television, whilst also winning over more young viewers, and invite more new contestants so that the show relies less on returnees.

Colin Murray ticks a lot of the boxes.

If they get this wrong, Countdown risks being axed.
Series 78 Runner-up
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

hey that was my pitch, little good that it did
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Paul Anderson wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:21 pm hey that was my pitch, little good that it did
Our pitch. ;)
Series 78 Runner-up
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Oh didn't know you wanted the job ;-)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Weaver’s Week on the UKGameshows.com website continues to make valid criticisms over Anne Robinson:

“ "One of them's got a proper job... You're not going to loaf around... Have you found a girlfriend since last time?... That's not a job, is it?... Why did you think you would get away with that?" Anne Robinson glowered over her second and final Countdown final, like a small and exceptionally grouchy thundercloud. This is finals week, and we'd love to concentrate on how brilliant the contestants are. But, once again, we're distracted by the host.”
Series 78 Runner-up
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Aye, awful appointment, counting the days
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

TBH, I’m losing faith and trust in Channel 4. Will they continue to make the worst hiring decisions possible?

They should learn from other game shows, particularly Mastermind, Pointless, The Chase, Tenable etc. where the host is kind to the contestants by default and is a match for the format.
Series 78 Runner-up
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

I am counting the days until Anne Robinson's last show ......let's hope Channel 4 make a more suitable choice by appointing a host that appeals to everybody, not a host that is rude and talks down to you.
Last edited by Tracey Anne Mills on Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Philip A wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 pm I bet Carol Vorderman is the next presenter. Check her Twitter feed.
I hope not, she will make the show about herself.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Tracey Anne Mills wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm I am counting the days until Anne Robinson's last shoe ......
I'm sure Anne owns plenty of shoes so you might be waiting a while...
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Hopefully the shoe will be on another foot soon
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee

Paul Anderson wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:50 pm Hopefully the shoe will be on another foot soon
It should been Show
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:27 pm There's not a chance of Vorderman returning.
You should change your C4C signature to that ^^^ when Carol is presenting the 40th Bday tourney just B4 Christmas.
I am so looking forward to her glorious return.
It is almost definite now. (Denials on Twitter are best ignored.)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I'm not going to do that, because I'm not 12, but I really can't see it ever happening. There's no point. She left on bad terms, she clearly priced herself out the market even back then, it kinda flips the bird to Rachel, and Carol's not exactly a great presenter anyway.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Well, your current sig does read a little like something a 12 year old would go with, but fine. Be no fun. :|
I will take it as the realest endorsement you could give that you agree the return of the Vord is a strong possibility at this significant point in the show's history.

Can't see how it would be an insult to Rachel. She is a big girl, and the rivalry is more imagined than real. I haven't seen much of Carol presenting lately. Maybe you're right, and she's not great, but can they afford great? Robinson was an utter train wreck, and no-one knew that background dude from the Apprentice was capable of fronting a quiz show till he did.
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:09 am Well, your current sig does read a little like something a 12 year old would go with, but fine. Be no fun. :|
I will take it as the realest endorsement you could give that you agree the return of the Vord is a strong possibility at this significant point in the show's history.

Can't see how it would be an insult to Rachel. She is a big girl, and the rivalry is more imagined than real. I haven't seen much of Carol presenting lately. Maybe you're right, and she's not great, but can they afford great? Robinson was an utter train wreck, and no-one knew that background dude from the Apprentice was capable of fronting a quiz show till he did.
True; perhaps Howard from Halifax could be the next host.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Anne’s second and last Grand Final on 17 June was seen by 346,000 people (9.5% audience share), consolidating a week-long catch-up. Colin Murray will do a great job as before and ratings will increase.
Series 78 Runner-up