Co:Brighton - 16 July 2022

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Fiona T
Devotee

Co:Brighton - 16 July 2022

Post by Fiona T »

For the Summer of 2022, we're very excited to bring you a new FOCAL event in the city of Brighton hosted by Fiona Titcombe and Lesley Jeavons.

When is it?

16 July 2022. Doors will open at 11:30, with the first round draw taking place shortly after. Please arrive by 11:45.

Where is it?

Lewes Road United Reformed Church, a 20 minute walk from Brighton station.

Map

Brighton is an hour from London Victoria by train, or 25 minutes from Gatwick Airport

The venue is wheelchair accessible, and there is parking available.

What will I be doing?

You will play six 9-round games of Countdown in the 'Lincoln' style of tournament. After six games, the top two players will face each other in the grand final.
The first round is drawn randomly, but don't worry if you have a bumpy start - for the second and third rounds you will be playing opponents that have scored similarly to you, so everyone should get some good, well matched games. The aim is to have fun, and there will be plenty of prizes on offer.

What about lunch?

You can bring a packed lunch, or there are plenty of local shops. Tea and coffee will be available at the venue.

And after?

We'll book a meal for those who are interested on Saturday night. More details soon.

Where can I stay?

There are plenty of hotels around Brighton, but they can be pricey in the holiday season. There are several campsites nearby which could be fun and affordable alternative.
Booking early usually secures the best price, so get booked as soon as you can. If you need help, talk to us.

I'm in - what do I do?

The entry fee is £12. We would prefer you to pay via Paypal. If you can't pay via paypal, then please contact Lesley or Fiona to make alternative arrangements. Please ensure you select the family and friends option.

Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Any questions, please contact Lesley or Fiona, and we'll do our best to help.

We look forward to seeing you there!

facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/973450026932798/

Confirmed attendees (25)

Thomas Carey
Darren Godfrey
Rachael Montgomery
Phil Stanton
Oliver Walker
Mike Lee
Paul Anderson
Joseph Bartram
George Armstrong
James Robinson
Dave Robjohns
Adam Dexter
David Hilton
Stephen Holford
Louis Freedman
MSR
Gabriel Thallon
Coral Heath
Adam Latchford
Neil Collins
Liam Davis
Sam Hughes
Stuart Moore
Adam Beach
Damian McEvoy
Last edited by Fiona T on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Co:Brighton - 16 July 2022

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This is exciting - a new non-northern CO-event.

But the obvious first thought - what is the parkrun situation? Well, it seems that there are basically five Brighton parkruns. And from this link, you can see that in order of closeness to the venue, they are:

1. Bevendean Down - 0.8 miles
2. Preston Park - 1.1 miles
3. East Brighton - 1.8 miles
4. Brighton and Hove - 2.1 miles
5. Hove Promenade - 2.2 miles

And their overall "speed" rankings:

34. Hove Promenade
113. Preston Park
130. Brighton and Hove
631. East Brighton
692. Bevendean Down

But it also depends on where people are going to be coming from. E.g. If they're staying in a hotel, where are they most likely to stay and which parkrun is closest to that?
Fiona T
Devotee

Post by Fiona T »

I hadn't spotted Bevendean - Preston Park looked like a good bet. Kicking off at 11:30, so plenty of time for a parkrun - rookie error for London in that I didn't give myself time!
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

For info, Preston park and Hove Prom are my regulars-I've done Preston park 20 times and Hove Prom around 12 (it's now my local since moving house so will overtake Preston Park in time), and Brighton and Hove, the 'official one', ironically just once.

Personally, I think the Prom is the one you'd want to do if possible timewise. It's totally flat, very pretty on a summer's morning as it's right on the seafront, and there's even a good chance you'll see Joe Wilkinson as he's there most weeks, if you like that sort of thing :)

I haven't done Bevendean but am planning to so at some point this year, and certainly before July 16th. I'll report back in this same thread when I do. I suspect it would be quite a nice one as it's in the downs which are beautiful. Currently I just know that it's hard to find and has a very low attendance (normally around 30 I think?)
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:45 pm This is exciting - a new non-northern CO-event.

But the obvious first thought - what is the parkrun situation? Well, it seems that there are basically five Brighton parkruns. And from this link, you can see that in order of closeness to the venue, they are:

1. Bevendean Down - 0.8 miles
2. Preston Park - 1.1 miles
3. East Brighton - 1.8 miles
4. Brighton and Hove - 2.1 miles
5. Hove Promenade - 2.2 miles

And their overall "speed" rankings:

34. Hove Promenade
113. Preston Park
130. Brighton and Hove
631. East Brighton
692. Bevendean Down

But it also depends on where people are going to be coming from. E.g. If they're staying in a hotel, where are they most likely to stay and which parkrun is closest to that?
Most of the hotels will I suspect be closest to Hove Prom (although there is a Travelodge directly opposite Preston Park fwiw)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

How lovely to see Lesley's name appear on the hosting duties!
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:45 pmBut the obvious first thought - what is the parkrun situation?
And there I was thinking your obvious first thought would be to complain about Edinburgh style being called Lincoln style.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Matt. ❤️ Are you coming? Would LOVE to see / meet you. 🤗 L x
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Unfortunately I'm busy that day, but I would strongly recommend getting there early. Lewes Road is horrid to traverse via bus at the best of times, and if you're coming on the number 25 bus it's even worse.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:37 pm Unfortunately I'm busy that day, but I would strongly recommend getting there early. Lewes Road is horrid to traverse via bus at the best of times, and if you're coming on the number 25 bus it's even worse.
Coupled with the Brighton Bear Weekend it'll be even busier... 🐻🏳️‍🌈 https://brightonbearweekend.com/
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Rawr.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Fiona T
Devotee

Post by Fiona T »

Lesley's booked us into an arcade pub for dinner after the event - if you'd like to join us, please let us know!

https://www.worldsend.pub/
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:16 pm Lesley's booked us into an arcade pub for dinner after the event - if you'd like to join us, please let us know!

Looks brilliant. Still looking highly unlikely that I'll be able to make it but hope those than do attend have fun.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:11 am
Fiona T wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:16 pm Lesley's booked us into an arcade pub for dinner after the event - if you'd like to join us, please let us know!

Looks brilliant. Still looking highly unlikely that I'll be able to make it but hope those than do attend have fun.
I was thinking the same. Vegan food and that weird racing thing. I can't make it though.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Maybe next year for us Gev!
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yes, would be good.