Spoilers for Thursday 16 June 2022 (Series 85, 2nd Semi-Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Philip A
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 16 June 2022 (Series 85, 2nd Semi-Final)

Post by Philip A »

Interesting stat: Matt O’Connor’s series total after his victory in this match is 1,172 to Dan Byrom’s 1,170.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 16 June 2022 (Series 85, SF 2)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good game. I enjoyed Steve's story. If he got a good illustrator and got it published it would stand up well amongst the books that do exist. What's Julia Donaldson got that Steve hasn't?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:55 pm Good game. I enjoyed Steve's story. If he got a good illustrator and got it published it would stand up well amongst the books that do exist. What's Julia Donaldson got that Steve hasn't?
After looking at a sample of his books, I think it looks quite good. Only 99p, too- bargain!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4B1XK3W? ... m9iJXVm7-M
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

TARIQA in R12 was a contestant and DC beater,
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

The penultimate game of the Series, and Steve's dressed formally once more, this time with a red tie today rather than a gold one (I assume it's in the event he failed to beat Ronan on Monday, so he wore the "better" one first). Matt on the other hand talks about his police caps which shows how wide-ranging uniforms can be nationwide. We've got Judge Rinder on as well and him talking about his early career as a barrister just goes to show how tough law is; persuasion is key in a courtroom afterall! Both contestants won with a score of 106 the last time round, so naturally we should expect a close game!

Letters: You know you're in for something when R1 starts off brilliantly with GRAPIEST and PRESTIGE. Matt gets ahead with BOUVIERS in R5 and after that, the game is neck and neck once more like what happened yesterday. The last third of the match came, and Matt had the "Countdown favourite" of MOPANES in R11 to break away even more. Finally, with Steve spelling louseing with the "E" inside in R13, it was unfortunately over as Matt crashed the century barrier as well :(

Numbers: Of all the matches in the Finals so far, I think today's rounds were the most manageable (and maybe easiest too overall which is an improvement from the easy rounds we got in Series 84 at times). Maybe it's also because of both contestants sticking to what they know best and knowing how to solve them, the latter of which is important. Steve may have been defeated by the time R14 came round but chooses to go out with, guess what, 6 Small! What is this? Is this some sort of trend now where everyone asked for it at the end except Craig?! :lol: Alas, things didn't turn out well in the end when Matt had the best possible solution and widened the gap even more :(

Conundrum: Even though the game had already been decided, we've still got to go through this. Cheeky in a sense that we had a conundrum about a bone part last Series with OCCIPITAL, now this comes out! :lol: I would never have gotten this one, so well done to Matt who does have the answer and wins with the highest score of the Finals thus far!

The game's outcome, as were my predictions, were a complete flop like yesterday. While I correctly predicted Matt would win, I thought it was under a circumstance with a crucial conundrum and the margin would be around 15 points. In the end, it was not even close, the margin was 40 points.
Tom S wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:01 pm After looking at a sample of his books, I think it looks quite good. Only 99p, too- bargain!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4B1XK3W? ... m9iJXVm7-M
Steve, you were wonderful throughout your run here. Despite having a break between the end of 2021 and early 2022, you still retained your skills as shown when Rachel returned and first saw you which is not easy especially during a festive season (well, maybe not last year when the Omicron variant transmitted crazily). Like Ryan yesterday, you may have been beaten by the Mastermind Champion at the time back in 2004, but you came back stronger. I thoroughly enjoyed your poem today and if anything, you deserve not only my round of applause for your creativity, but also maybe an anecdote slot like what Rufus Hound has when he has poems for the audience at home (or in the studio pre-pandemic days) too. You entertained all of us at home and like Anne, I'm sure we wanted more each time. I hope your book becomes a great seller and I wish you nothing but success in that! ;)

For the first time in 1.5 years, it's the #1 Seed versus the #2 Seed again after what we've gone through for the last two Series. Will it be Dan or Matt that gets to have their name inscribed on the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy? Both won with a score of 106 in their Quarter Finals but Matt had a higher winning score in the Semi-Finals. It may not mean anything at this point in time, so I'm just going to say, may the best person win! Let's hope for more people to tune in on the Daily Chat too!

Progress:
QF1 (09 June): Dan Byrom (#1) vs Craig Fawcett (#8) (106 - 27)
QF2 (10 June): Matt O'Connor (#2) vs Dan Hall (#7) (106 - 58)
QF3 (13 June): Steve Hyde (#3) vs Ronan Mackrory (#6) (106 - 83)
QF4 (14 June): Ryan Carlsen (#4) vs Adrian Fletcher (#5) (92 - 63)
SF1 (15 June): Dan Byrom (QF1 Winner) vs Ryan Carlsen (QF4 Winner) (97 - 94)
SF2 (16 June): Matt O'Connor (QF2 Winner) vs Steve Hyde (QF3 Winner) (117 - 77)
GF (17 June): Dan Byrom (SF1 Winner) vs Matt O'Connor (SF2 Winner)
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

RAITCH also in R12

R6 LNAFP: (10*6+8)*10 = 680

Well done Matt, tomorrow's final should be a great one; too close to call.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

IATRIC in R12 for me, splendid game and a wonderful story Steve showed. Can't wait to see what'll happen next
One of da 'Muricans
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

A very enjoyable contest by both, Congratulations to Matt for making into the grand final...... he earns the right to play Dan Byrom but take nothing away from Steve who gave Matt a run for his money and put a real good fight until Matt gradually got the better of him ........tune into Friday's Grand Final and find out who will lift the Richard Whiteley memorial trophy.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover