Friday 10th December 2021 (Series 84, Preliminary 119)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Christy Cooper
Rookie

Friday 10th December 2021 (Series 84, Preliminary 119)

Post by Christy Cooper »

Countdown recap for Friday 10 December 2021.

On this day in 1768, the first encylopedia Brittanica was published.

C1: Champion Janet Noe (4 wins, 369 points.), a lady of leisure as Anne describes her.
C2: Challenger Tony Bartlett, a retired chef who lives near the Queen. He worked at both at a convent, and for the NHS. He denies the nuns in the convent were fussy about the food- "they just liked good food!" he exclaims. One of the nuns was Indian and taught Tony how to make an authentic curry.
DC: Susie Dent and Craig Charles.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: L R I A L F A U T
R02: R T C E U E R N A
R03: 2, 8, 8, 10, 3, 100. Target: 794.
TTT: BARRIOTS - ""He doesn't close down all of the shops; he just gets rid of some branches"
R04: M Y D O E U P A C
R05: X L R I E S N O E
R06: 8, 4, 1, 4, 10, 25. Target: 671.
R07: M D A U S R A E N
R08: F T P H A I E R J
R09: 2, 10, 3, 4, 5, 100. Target: 905.
TTT: NIGELDAY - ""Transport problems were making Nigel a day late.""
R10: N D S A O I T Q A
R11: T N I U S N O G I
R12: C S K S O I E D O
R13: B H A E A D V E L
R14: 5, 4, 100, 75, 50, 25. Target: 257.
R15: P E D A L D I S C (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: L R I A L F A U T

Janet: FRAIL (5)
Tony: FAULT (5)
DC: ARTFUL, (6) RITUAL (6)
OT: RAILFUL (7)
Score: 5–5 (max 7)
Nobody at FAULT here; this is a solid start to the game.

Round 2: R T C E U E R N A

Janet: CREATE (6)
Tony: TURNER (6)
DC: TERRACE, (7) CURRENT, (7) CURRANT (7)
OT: CREATURE (8) RECANTER (8) RECREANT (8) RENATURE (8) UNCREATE (8)
Score: 11–11 (max 15)

Janet manages to CREATE a close game as she's on equal scoring to her opponent Tony (who seems to pronounce it 'constonant' when picking the letters...)

Round 3: 2, 8, 8, 10, 3, 100. Target: 794.

Janet: 794. 100 x 8 - (8-2) (10)
Tony: 794. 100 x 8 - (8-2) (10)
Score: 21–21 (max 25)

Teatime teaser: BARRIOTS -> ARBORIST

Round 4: M Y D O E U P A C

Janet: POMADE (6)
Tony: PACED (5)
DC: COMEDY (6)
OT: CAMPED (6) COMPED (6) COUPED (6) DECAMP (6) PEMUDA (6) POMACE (6) POUCEY (6) UPCODE (6) YOMPED (6)
Score: 27–21 (max 31)

Janet takes her dog foraging for treasure with her, usually on holiday to Devon, Cornwall or Somerset (it doesn't count as a holiday if you don't leave the country....not to me at least) but the dog is more interested in food instead

Round 5: X L R I E S N O E

Janet: RELINES (7)
Tony: SNORE (5)
DC: SENILE (6)
OT: EOLINES (7) EXILERS (7) LIENORS (7) LIERNES (7) LOERIES (7) OLEINES (7) OREXINS (7) ROSEINE (7)
Score: 34–21 (max 38)

I wonder what it was about Anne's presence that caused Susie to spot SENILE?

Tony is now a dance host on cruise ships, he essentially describes the dance host who is somebody who dances with those in the ballroom that don't have partners... in other words, he's a dance partner for losers that nobody else wants to dance with. He mentions that the passengers' typical favourite dances are the waltz and foxtrot, then mentions how people that like cruises are *old*. Cheeky bugger, I'm only a teenager and wouldn't mind going on a cruise... I like watching ballroom dancing too (Strictly is one of my favourite progammes)- I'm an old man in a teen body. Tony's favourite dance is the salsa which he says he'll continue to do for as long as his hips will move.

Just before picking the numbers, Rachel mentions that she loves the salsa. Shame you were shite at it, luv.
Round 6: 8, 4, 1, 4, 10, 25. Target: 671.

Janet: 675. (8 x 4 - 4 - 1) x 25 (7)
Tony: -Mistake in working. Ends up being over 300 away.... did he think the 6 was a 9 that Rachel had put upside down?
RR: 671. (4 × 8 + 4 + 25) × (10 + 1) (10)
Score: 41–21 (max 48)

DC- Craig gives 4 anecdotes in one. The first is about his first job as a labourer on a building site that he was later sacked from after 2 days due to a wheelbarrow mishap; this was back when he still lived in Liverpool, he now lives in Cheshire (not too far from me actually- I wonder if he lives in Stockport?). His second anecdote discusses how much of a workload he has (7 radio broadcasts a week! Monday-Friday on Radio 6 in the afternoons, a Saturday night show on Radio 6, and when that ends, another Saturday night show on Radio 2!) between his radio shows, the Gadget Show and now Moneybags. His third anecdote is about him meeting James Brown who he for some odd reason compares to Hugh Grant (?).... James Brown had people refer to him as Mr Brown and they had to talk to his PA first before even reaching him, but James liked Craig's interview style and allowed him to call him James rather than 'Mr Brown'. His fourth anecdote is about his appreciation of music and how it started from his father who arrived at Liverpool Docks from Guyana, with a bagful of records, and met Craig's mother because of this. Surely all these anecdotes could have been spread across the week? He's ran out of stories now for if he does another stint... unless he does a Richard Madeley and tells the same Rubik's Cube anecdote every bloody time he comes on...

Round 7: M D A U S R A E N

Janet: DRAMAS (6)
Tony: DREAMS (6)
DC: SURNAME, (7) SURNAMED, (8) MAUNDERS (8)
OT: MURAENAS, (8) SURNAMED (8)
Score: 47–27 (max 56)
Tony DREAMS of taking the lead as he's 20 points behind.

Round 8: F T P H A I E R J

Janet: PIRATE (6)
Tony: FATHER (6)
OT: HEJIRA (6) PARTIE (6) PATRIE (6) PRATIE (6) TEPHRA (6) THREAP (6)
Score: 53–33 (max 62)

Round 9: 2, 10, 3, 4, 5, 100. Target: 905. Rachel says 'the yooj' to mean the usual... Rachel, you're in your mid-30s, luv, stop it.

Janet: 905. (10 − (4 − 3)) × 100 + 5 (10)
Tony: 905. (4 + 3 + 2) × 100 + 5 (10)
Score: 63–43 (max 72)

Teatime teaser: NIGELDAY -> DELAYING

Round 10: N D S A O I T Q A

Janet: STAIN (5)
Tony: STAIN (5)
DC: SONATA, (6) STADIA (6)
OT: DATIONS (7)
Score: 68–48 (max 79)

Round 11: T N I U S N O G I

Janet: UNIONS (6)
Tony: OUTINGS (7)
DC: UNIONIST (8)
OT: UNITIONS (8)
Score: 68–55 (max 87)

OOW- Susie discusses the origin of the phrase 'wild goose chase' which sources back to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet (cue bad flashbacks to GCSE English- god, that was a boring play to analyse)

Round 12: C S K S O I E D O

Janet: COOKIES (7)
Tony: SOCKED (6)
DC: SKIDOOS (7) - seeing this word brings back nostalgia of watching Blue's Clues with Kev Duala on Nick Jr- "blue skidoo, we can too!"
OT: COOKESS (7) DISCOES (7)
Score: 75–55 (max 94)

Tony is from King's Lynn, and lives on part of the Sandringham estate, seeing the Queen fairly often in his estate, which the royals attend various areas of frequently. The only Queens I want to see are Freddie, Brian, John and Roger... and the only royal family I want to see are Denise, Anthony, Jim and Barbara.

Round 13: B H A E A D V E L

Janet: BEHAVED (7)
Tony: HEAVED (6)
DC: EVADABLE (8)
OT: HAVEABLE (8)
Score: 82–55 (max 102)

Round 14: 5, 4, 100, 75, 50, 25. Target: 257.

Janet: 259.
Tony: 257. 5 × 50 + 75 ÷ 25 + 4 (10)
Score: 82–65 (max 112)

Round 15: P E D A L D I S C

Janet buzzes on 8 seconds to say DISPLACED which is correct.
Final Score: 92–65 (max 122)

Rachel announces that it's her last show for a while (although at time of writing she's been back for weeks) and that Anne-Marie Imafidon will fill in (her name still needs to be added to the recap writer- that makes two of us since I can't add these recaps to the database since my name isn't in the preselected list). This is going to be unpopular on here but I preferred Anne-Marie to Rachel- her quieter, more introverted nature made a nice change (as well as the snazzy trainers), and I quite liked the dynamic between her and Anne better. Hope we haven't seen the last of her.

That does it for another recap- my second one, I'm getting the hang of the Recap Writer better (thank you Jack Worsley for helping)- I know my sarky approach is a bit different to the usual type of recaps you get on here but I'm trying to make them my own. Also I know I do the numbers differently with the large on the right rather than the left- I just type them down in the order they're read out.

Further summaries are at:
http://cdb.apterous.org/series.php?series=84