Spoilers for Monday 7th June 2021 (Series 83, Prelim 111)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 7th June 2021 (Series 83, Prelim 111)

Post by Toby McDonald »

ROMENIES in R2

R6 Alt.: (50*4+8)*3+2 = 626
R9 Alt.: (50-8-7-1)*3*5 = 510
R14 LNAFP: (8+7+7)*5 = 110
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Monday 7th June 2021 (Series 83, Prelim 111)

Post by Tom S »

Louis would need a win and a record score tomorrow in order overtake James in the seeding table, so very much looking like the largest difference points-wise between the #1 and 2.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I've been in a few quizzes with errors in them in my time. In one of my groups, the question "What is the tallest mountain?" came up, and the quizmaster's answer was Everest. Everest isn't the tallest mountain - only the highest. The tallest is Mauna Kea.

Pedantry occurs quite a bit on University Challenge. But sometimes it's ridiculous. Contestant's answer: "Acceleration due to gravity." Jeremy: "No, it's acceleration of free fall." Is that really the only correct name for it? But then again, I remember another instance on UC of an answer that is just plain wrong being accepted as correct (something that happened on Weakest Link quite a bit).

Speaking of inconsistency, on QI the panellists were asked to identify the largest lake in the Lake District. IIRC, answers such as Windermere, Derwent Water and Coniston Water set off the alarm. The correct answer, Stephen claimed, was Bassenthwaite Lake, apparently on the basis that it's the only one called a lake (the others being waters, meres and tarns). But on another occasion, they were asked to name a henge. And Stonehenge set off the alarm for not being a true henge. But if the Lake District answer was valid, surely Stonehenge was equally a valid answer on the basis that it's called a henge.
Howie Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Howie Myers »

r4 alt: UNPAVE
r5 alt: PARASOL
r11 alt: CARBIES