New Host

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Re: New Host

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ralph wrote:I had never seen Jeff Stelling so I have now watched him on YouTube.
He is a bit "in your face" (I think that's the expression) isn't he?
I hope he doesn't rant on Countdown.
Those clips are great precisely because he's normally so calm and professional even when relaying live results from about 100 games at once.
I am very pleased to hear that Charlie. Thanks.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

New series

New set

New hosts

New version of theme tune?

Go on, Damian - bung Spiritman a few bob to use this...........................(last tune on list)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/spiritmanproductions/
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

Charlie Reams wrote:
harry wrote: I'm in the audience a fortnight on Monday, so I'll get an early insight.
Then You'll be watching me in action against the worryingly good Peter Davies :) Make sure you come and say hi before/after, it's always nice to meet people who are otherwise virtual apparitions.
I'll be sure to do that, Charlie - I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to shaking Kai's hand.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Oh, good choices. I was disappointing when I'd heard that Alexander Armstrong pulled out, but I'm a fan of Jeff Stelling.
Andy Clews

Post by Andy Clews »

Damian E wrote:
Steven Briers wrote:I agree with the general consensus that Jeff Stelling would be a good host. I've only ever seen him a couple of times on Sky Sports but he seems to fit the criteria. I wonder if there'll be a revamp of the set to launch the new era as well. :?:
Yes, brand new set. New chairs, new cue cards, new titles, new potatoes.
You are Tony Blair and I claim my £5 :)
Andy Clews

Post by Andy Clews »

I'm a bit late in this thread, but I have to say that I'll be very pleased with a new set to go with the new hosts. I never found that loud pink background at all easy on the eye.

I wonder what Carol Vorderman will do post-Countdown? I guess she'll have a nice long holiday first.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

It's better than the set they had when Ben Wilson was kicking ass which looked like it was decorated by the same outfit that did Bobby Sands' cell.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Andy Clews wrote:I'm a bit late in this thread, but I have to say that I'll be very pleased with a new set to go with the new hosts. I never found that loud pink background at all easy on the eye.

I wonder what Carol Vorderman will do post-Countdown? I guess she'll have a nice long holiday first.
Like she hasn't already had enough of a holiday? Working about 40 days a year and still needs a holiday? And they moan about teachers...
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

My husband took my son and some of his mates ten pin bowling today and when I arrived to meet them I noticed a TV screen in the restaurant bit and it was Sky Sports Saturday, or whatever it's called. I was excited to see Jeff on telly and dragged my husband to show him to him. :D I guess my ice maiden heart, filled with love for RW and CV, is melting already, even though a new episode is yet to be aired. :)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new show on Monday. Talk about wishing your life away! I've never seen Jeff on Sky but, according to newspaper reports, he's got a good personality and is ideal for the job. I just can't wait to get my pad and pencil out and get cracking on my efforts at participating. If you're around Jeff and Rachel, good luck, as for sure the newspapers will be ready to criticize after the first programme.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Lesley, had you heard of Jeff Stelling before today?
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

@ Jason: yes, I'd heard of him, but only from an article in a TV listings mag. Thing is, I normally skip / skim read the sports articles, however something in this one made me read it. I guess it must've been Jeff's sparkle shining through. :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Lesley, does your husband like sports?
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Jason Larsen wrote:Lesley, does your husband like sports?
No, thankfully. Neither of us liked sports at school, and neither play or watch anything, aside from football world cup type things (watch, not play ;-) lol), but not religiously. It's a shame for our son though to not have any sport influence projected on to him... :|
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Why was he watching them when you saw Jeff, then?
davidiwilliams

Post by davidiwilliams »

So far so good. I'm still in dinosaur mode a bit and not too sure how much I like all the changes; I'm sure it won't take too long to win me over!
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Jason Larsen wrote:Why was he watching them when you saw Jeff, then?
We were in a public bowling place, and it was on the screen. Blimey, we don't even know if we have any sports channels at home! :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I understand you, Lesley.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

I'm actually preferring Rachel to Jeff so far. She talks about sport less! :twisted: ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Actually, I know in some respects Jeff makes it his own show because he talks about sports, but in the introduction of his very first Countdown he said, "Rest assured, this is the same Countdown you've grown to love over the years." Basically, in plain English that means "Countdown is going to be ok."
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

As a Sky Sports viewer I was aware of Mr Stelling. I did have concerns about his presentation style and whether it would be appropriate for Countdown, but he's done ok so far.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jeff has toned it down, indeed!
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I'm actually preferring Rachel to Jeff so far. She talks about sport less! :twisted: ;)

:o Rachel is I believe a fellow Man U supporter she can do no wrong Hopefully Hartlepool Jeff's team will draw MU then sport will reign and we may get Sir A in dictionary corner what more could we ask for.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jeff has shocked me!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Les Butterworth wrote:
Rachel is I believe a fellow Man U supporter she can do no wrong Hopefully Hartlepool Jeff's team will draw MU then sport will reign and we may get Sir A in dictionary corner what more could we ask for.

Subtitles