Joke Items

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Joke Items

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:35 am In the 2030s we will be putting driverless cars in here
I think it will be cars that require a driver actually.

However, some over-engineered stuff should go in here. Electric windows in cars - they barely save any effort, and they're something that can go wrong. And anything that uses an electronic mechanism to take in or eject a disc/tape etc. Complete joke items.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

VAR.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:55 pmVAR.
/Goal-Line Technology System
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:20 am
Matt Rutherford wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:16 am Manual gearboxes (for your average car-lorries and other vehicles are a different story, I know). Automatic is far easier to deal with, not having to fuck about with the clutch and it makes roundabouts much simpler to navigate. About the only thing the US has got right is the demise of 'stickshift.'

(N.B-This was written by a learner driver who has the general co-ordination of an orangutan on a step-ladder)
There are definitely situations in which having a manual helps. If you need a quick burst of acceleration it can help to downshift, for example. But yeah, it would probably be easier if cars were automatic by default, with the option of manually selecting a gear on the odd occasion you really needed to.
They could just have semi-automatic gears like in F1 cars where you basically just press a button to change gear.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fake crowd noises
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Callum Todd wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:20 am
Matt Rutherford wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:16 am Manual gearboxes (for your average car-lorries and other vehicles are a different story, I know). Automatic is far easier to deal with, not having to fuck about with the clutch and it makes roundabouts much simpler to navigate. About the only thing the US has got right is the demise of 'stickshift.'

(N.B-This was written by a learner driver who has the general co-ordination of an orangutan on a step-ladder)
There are definitely situations in which having a manual helps. If you need a quick burst of acceleration it can help to downshift, for example. But yeah, it would probably be easier if cars were automatic by default, with the option of manually selecting a gear on the odd occasion you really needed to.
They could just have semi-automatic gears like in F1 cars where you basically just press a button to change gear.
You can have this if you pay enough.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I rather like my gearstick!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm I rather like my gearstick!
Fiona T wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 pm They fall into the same category as ties. Most joke objects are phalluses.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks Gevin. You made it a lot more SFW than I was planning to.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The hyphen
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:52 am The hyphen
"Students get first hand job experience".
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Our IT helpdesk at work also decided that the hyphen was a joke item, and introduced a new rule meaning that it wasn't allowed in anyone's name. Boy was that fun for me. The number of internal processes that just don't work for me any more is ridiculous. The best one was when we rolled a new system for ordering lunches and it was decided that we should the old system without first testing the new one, which didn't work for those unlucky souls with names deemed unacceptable by our IT overlords. At least I'm still getting paid.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:02 pm
Our IT helpdesk at work also decided that the hyphen was a joke item, and introduced a new rule meaning that it wasn't allowed in anyone's name. Boy was that fun for me. The number of internal processes that just don't work for me any more is ridiculous. The best one was when we rolled a new system for ordering lunches and it was decided that we should the old system without first testing the new one, which didn't work for those unlucky souls with names deemed unacceptable by our IT overlords. At least I'm still getting paid.
They're right - a hyphen in your name is a joke item.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 pm
Not hyphen but name related.
I remember working with a man from Cork who took umbridge because his name on his payslip said Andy Onions instead of O'Nions.

Back to the hyphen my eldest girl said Coop instead of Co-op , but I corrected her, so later that day we took her to the chemist to buy toiletries into what she then called Bo-ots
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Most of you can ignore, but the software folks amongst you might appreciate this - I think we all have a duty to name our kids in a way to give us as much work as possible!

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/445 ... onscript-3
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 pm
Double-barrelled surnames are joke items anyway. Lots of parents think they're being all cool and liberal by using both parents' surnames, when in reality they're giving their child an annoying and unwieldy name, and perhaps more importantly, they're being incredibly short-sighted. Taken to its logical conclusions, the lengths of surnames will double every generation.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Toffee. Things pretending to be chewy caramel when really they're just hard toffee. Things pretending to be not just caramel, but soft caramel, when they're still just fucking hard toffee.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:53 pm Most of you can ignore, but the software folks amongst you might appreciate this - I think we all have a duty to name our kids in a way to give us as much work as possible!

Ha!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:53 pm Most of you can ignore, but the software folks amongst you might appreciate this - I think we all have a duty to name our kids in a way to give us as much work as possible!

And this of course:

https://xkcd.com/327/
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It reminds me of when Richard Brittain wrote random bits of code in Apterous tickets, presumably trying to break the website.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Not so much a joke item but more a joke ritual.
1) Funeral Cars.....why can't people use their own cars.
2) the standing up and sitting down after hymns at a funeral service.
3) the excessive purchases of flowers at a funeral.
I have four siblings we only need one wreath to say mum.
I would rather give to charity.
Trying to hold some kind of wake in the garden during covid , surely it's better to postpone and have a memorial.
Rant over.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The "Only show episodes I can actually fucking watch" checkbox on All 4 when I'm looking for the relevant Countdown game. No, I would prefer it if you just listed some random dates that happened to have Countdown on them. Also, why put them in reverse order and why not have the date they were last shown as well as the original transmission date? So moronic.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Bowling shoes.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 am Bowling shoes.
Golfing shoes can be added to that list.
Most golfing clothes too.
Only a seventies pimp would where some of the getup that's acceptable on the golf course
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:23 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 am Bowling shoes.
Golfing shoes can be added to that list.
Most golfing clothes too.
Only a seventies pimp would where some of the getup that's acceptable on the golf course
Sure, but you're not made to wear golfing shoes are you? With bowling shoes, you go into a bowling place and they make you give them your shoes (which you have to trust them with), and in return you get these rubbish shoes you have to wear to "protect their floor" or something.

But presumably you're not meant to walk in the actual lanes where the balls go anyway, and the surface can't be that precious given the that it has to put up with ridiculously heavy balls continually crashing into it - especially from people that aren't very good at bowling so the ball catches in their fingers and goes really high up in the air before crashing back down.

And if it's about dirt getting on the tiny bit of the lane that your foot might accidentally encroach by 5mm every 400th time you bowl, just clean that bit of floor when it gets dirty. Is it really worth making everyone wear a stupid pair of shoes for? (That's a rhetorical question by the way. The answer's "no".)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I used to go ice skating in my youth and bought my own skates to avoid all this queuing up and wearing second hand shoes that a quick squirt of odour eaters is meant to prevent catching something and the laces were invariably frayed/ broken.
Maybe buying your own bowling shoes is the solution
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:05 pm Maybe buying your own bowling shoes is the solution
Would they allow that? They'd have to do some bowling shoe test on them.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Snooker cues. Why do I have to use the equipment provided that has been specifically designed to play the sport properly? Why can't I just use a stick I found or roll the balls with my hand?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Mark James wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:08 pm Snooker cues. Why do I have to use the equipment provided that has been specifically designed to play the sport properly? Why can't I just use a stick I found or roll the balls with my hand?
Good point, why can't I use my hands in football too? Or maybe a tennis racket in rounders?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Bowling alleys haven't made you use their shoes for, I dunno, a long time. You just wear your own, as you're in flats.

That said, I still get bowling shoes because they are absolutely awesome.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Mark James wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:08 pm Snooker cues. Why do I have to use the equipment provided that has been specifically designed to play the sport properly? Why can't I just use a stick I found or roll the balls with my hand?
Because
A) that would be shit
B) It would fuck up the table and the balls

By all means if you have your own snooker table and set of snooker balls feel free to play it however you like. The table and balls will be unplayable quite quickly but that shouldn't be a problem as you'll soon get bored anyway once you realise it doesn't work.

It's be like renting a football pitch for an hour then moving the football about with a golf club. You'd have a shit game of football and fuck the pitch and ball up.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:36 am
Because
A) that would be shit
B) It would fuck up the table and the balls

By all means if you have your own snooker table and set of snooker balls feel free to play it however you like. The table and balls will be unplayable quite quickly but that shouldn't be a problem as you'll soon get bored anyway once you realise it doesn't work.

It's be like renting a football pitch for an hour then moving the football about with a golf club. You'd have a shit game of football and fuck the pitch and ball up.
My dad used to beat me at American pool using his walking stick .
Although that probably says more about how shit I was at pool than my dad's prowess
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:35 pm Bowling alleys haven't made you use their shoes for, I dunno, a long time. You just wear your own, as you're in flats.

That said, I still get bowling shoes because they are absolutely awesome.
Awesome in what way?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Sorry everyone. I forgot to engage sarcasm font. My snooker cue post was making fun of Gavin. Bowling shoes are a specifically designed piece of sports equipment made to play the sport just as cues are.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Bowling shoes are awesome in that they are designed to help you play the game properly and reduce injury. They weren't just designed to personally annoy Gevin. (That's just a happy coincidence). They allow for a degree of sliding that regular footwear doesn't and you don't want to scuff up the throwing surface as that can also prevent proper sliding and can cause injury. A simple Google would have provided the actual reason rather than guessing and asking rhetorical questions but Gavin is obviously incurious and belongs in the people you shouldn't trust thread.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 am Bowling shoes are awesome in that they are designed to help you play the game properly and reduce injury. They weren't just designed to personally annoy Gevin. (That's just a happy coincidence). They allow for a degree of sliding that regular footwear doesn't and you don't want to scuff up the throwing surface as that can also prevent proper sliding and can cause injury. A simple Google would have provided the actual reason rather than guessing and asking rhetorical questions but Gavin is obviously incurious and belongs in the people you shouldn't trust thread.
We need a sarcasm emoji , not sure what form it would take though
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 am Bowling shoes are awesome in that they are designed to help you play the game properly and reduce injury. They weren't just designed to personally annoy Gevin. (That's just a happy coincidence). They allow for a degree of sliding that regular footwear doesn't and you don't want to scuff up the throwing surface as that can also prevent proper sliding and can cause injury. A simple Google would have provided the actual reason rather than guessing and asking rhetorical questions but Gavin is obviously incurious and belongs in the people you shouldn't trust thread.
:o :o :o
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 am
:o :o :o
I trust his judgement on pea based snacks
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

:!:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

One of my favourite posts ever.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

The happy coincidence line is a zinger.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:02 pm
One of my favourite posts ever.
Callum Todd wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm The happy coincidence line is a zinger.
Well I was intending to leave this, but since you two have chipped in, I seem to have regained the urge to carry on. Let's look at this:
Bowling shoes are typically made out of leather and rubber. The soles of the shoes act much like the bowling lanes themselves: they are both made to be super slick.

Wearing slick shoes helps you slide while you’re bowling. This is important because it enables you to achieve a smoother motion. If you’re sticking to the floor while you go to throw your bowling ball, you might not have as much control as you normally would. Bowling shoes can also help prevent injuries in bowlers because they allow for the proper bodily movement after a ball is rolled down a lane. If you were to stick instead of slide, you could injure your knee, ankle or foot.

While the soles of bowling shoes are super slick, the heels of the shoes are typically made of rubber, which helps you stop sliding after you throw your ball. Without these stopping mechanisms, bowlers might just keep sliding until they fall!
Yeah, it all sounds very good. But how realistic is it? Why don't javelin throwers need to keep sliding after throwing a javelin? Or bowlers in cricket? In fact, why does no-one in the world who throws stuff need to slide afterwards to avoid injury or indeed allow them to have proper control except for people playing bowling? It sounds like bullshit invented by the inventor of bowling shoes.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

That's it folks. The great bowling shoe conspiracy has been rumbled. Should have realised it wasn't realistic to expect that different techniques for throwing different objects while standing on different surfaces might require different equipment. It was a good ride while it lasted. I'm off to sell my shares in Bowling Shoe Inc. before the news hits the wider population.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I think Gavin has a point. That article he links does seem to make some good points, but does so without offering evidence and I'm suspicious of the bias it may have. Especially the protect the lanes bit seems off, for reasons Gavin has already laid out in this thread. Good debate!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Waistcoats....unless you are playing snooker.
I'm forced to wear one today 😢 having difficulty breathing
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:12 am That's it folks. The great bowling shoe conspiracy has been rumbled. Should have realised it wasn't realistic to expect that different techniques for throwing different objects while standing on different surfaces might require different equipment. It was a good ride while it lasted. I'm off to sell my shares in Bowling Shoe Inc. before the news hits the wider population.
But if you see it from the point of view of a random person who goes bowling once every 3.7 years, the whole thing does seem a bit weird. You're made to change shoes (well, Matt says you apparently don't have to any more) with no explanation, and most people just assume it's something to do with protecting the floor (see earlier post). But apparently it has something to do with making it better for you and your technique. But then why should they give a toss whether you change your shoes or not? And would it really make much difference for the average person? It seems a bit like turning up to a parkrun and being made to change into a pair of Nike Alphaflys for the event.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

But if you see it from the point of view of a random person who goes bowling once every 3.7 years, the whole thing does seem a bit weird.
I don't get what's weird about it though. You use the proper equipment for the sport. For me it's no different to wearing ice skates to go ice skating or using cues to play snooker. Is it just because you have to wear a shoe someone else has already worn? Is it not weirder to have to stick your fingers in the holes of the bowling ball that someone else has?

It's probably more than 3.7 years since I've been bowling so you can count me as one of those random people, it's not like I'm some uber bowling fan who's really invested in defending bowling shoes, if i do go bowling, like most people I just wear the things and get on with my life. It's not that big a deal. Fair play that you're the kind of person who questions things but it seems like your ignoring the answer just to be contrarian.
and most people just assume it's something to do with protecting the floor (see earlier post). But apparently it has something to do with making it better for you and your technique.
These are not mutually exclusive. It is about protecting the floor. The floor needs to be protected to allow you to perform the optimal technique. And optimal technique is not just about improving your score (which it rarely does for that random person every 3.7 years) it's about safety and injury prevention. Also your earlier post seemed to be confusing the floor of the throwing area with actual lane where the ball goes.
But then why should they give a toss whether you change your shoes or not? And would it really make much difference for the average person?
In terms of improving the average person's scoring performance probably not but again you seem to be ignoring the safety aspect of it. Maybe making you wear the shoes reduces the bowling alley's liability for injury.
It seems a bit like turning up to a parkrun and being made to change into a pair of Nike Alphaflys for the event.
It's more like someone arriving to a park run wearing high heels and being asked to change into more suitable footwear, particularly if the organisers could be held liable for injuries sustained.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 am
But if you see it from the point of view of a random person who goes bowling once every 3.7 years, the whole thing does seem a bit weird.
I don't get what's weird about it though. You use the proper equipment for the sport. For me it's no different to wearing ice skates to go ice skating or using cues to play snooker. Is it just because you have to wear a shoe someone else has already worn? Is it not weirder to have to stick your fingers in the holes of the bowling ball that someone else has?
For other things it's often quite obvious why you need special equipment - like ice skating. And it's also quite obvious that you at least need something that does a very good impression of a snooker cue to be able to play properly. Whereas with bowling, there's not that intuition connection, other than "well it's the case for other sports - why not this one?"

But anyway, there's only so much that one can argue that black is white, and while bowling shoes certainly seem like a joke item on the surface, it might just be possible that they serve some purpose. I was going to leave it with your original reply anyway, but Matt and Callum got me started up again.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Next time you go bowling , sometime in 2023/4 , try to bring extra footwear , play two games , one with bowling shoes on and one without and compare scores
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 am Next time you go bowling , sometime in 2023/4 , try to bring extra footwear , play two games , one with bowling shoes on and one without and compare scores
Eh, more like play multiple games with each and compare how your knees feel after each set. Of course, to make it a fair test, you should take the standard 3.7 year break between the two, and assume that your knees haven't deteriorated as a result of aging.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 am
Matt Morrison wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pmA more consistent and even saltiness is exactly what many uses of salt are trying not to achieve. Good examples that you must (but obviously won't) be able to appreciate would be chocolate stuff - a bar of dark chocolate with sea salt or sea salt in a brownie or something. You don't want to make the chocolate salty, you want to be able to taste the chocolate and the salt separately at the same time.
But
Matt Morrison also wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:35 pmBecause yes, freshly ground rock salt is an entirely different thing to powdered table salt.
So not only do you think rock salt goes off after you grind it, you presumably make your own bars of chocolate?
I didn't say so at the time, but I enjoyed this.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Roman numerals.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:26 pm Roman numerals.
What did they ever do for us?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I'm LIVID (54, 499)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Reusable face coverings.
Not fit for purpose , beyond obtaining entrance to shops and public transport
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:23 am
I'm LIVID (54, 499)
This is a hell of a tough crossword clue.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:26 am Reusable face coverings.
Not fit for purpose , beyond obtaining entrance to shops and public transport
My buffs are pretty excellent in terms of restricting what comes out of my gob. Absolutely perfect for purpose, and nice colours too.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Strimmers.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark James wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:45 pm Strimmers.
Go on..?