COMA- The Countdown Online Masters competition

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: COMA- The Countdown Online Masters competition

Post by David O'Donnell »

I think I am playing Michael first and then you and Corby are afterwards at about 9 pm. Does that suit you, Martin?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

hang on, so now people are going to *watch* me be destroyed by a future series champion?

oh well, that means I can blame the pressure of an audience for losing

again

>_>
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Don't worry, I suck!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

If I don't come online around 9pm, best of luck to youse.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

hmm...I wonder if I put my dictionary on my head whether osmosis will do the rest
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Ben, when are you free? I am a bit busy this week but will be on msn in certain daytimes (what is your msn address? mine is bevins_69@hotmail.com - dont send email there as i dont check it), such as Tuesday day time and Thursday day time. Evenings are busy this week with darts and getting drunk (as it's half term)
You can see it if you click the Messenger icon under my avatar, I've added you to my MSN contact list anyway.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

for those fortunate enough not to see my game against David, all you need to know is that I was awesome, whereas he cheated and only won because he bribed Conor

(some or all of this may or may not be untrue)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The masters are now known! Playing in the first COMA will be:

Chris Wills
Conor Travers
Jon O'Neill
Paul Howe
Mark Tournoff

Meaning some more play-off action will be required. Charlie, tell the assembled masses how we shall get 3 entrants from 4 first-round winners, please. :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I *was* wondering why Paul Howe is in there since he's the only one that isn't a Series champion. Obviously he's a brilliant player, but Tom Hargreaves who was a Series runner up and me and Corby who were semi-finalists were made to qualify (I lost by the way by about 20 points). Perhaps it should work the other way, Paul should qualify as well? Nothing personal of course, just stating the facts.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Even though it looks like I am to be subjected to yet ANOTHER round of qualifying I should point out that the master places were probably offered on the basis of online rating and/or televisual performance. Currently Mr Howe is ranked fourth, Corby is ranked 23rd and I am ranked 40th.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Jono isn't a series champion either. Unless he managed to get CONCIERGE in the 'uncut' edition.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

... but comes third in the Corral ranking.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Martin Gardner wrote:I *was* wondering why Paul Howe is in there since he's the only one that isn't a Series champion. Obviously he's a brilliant player, but Tom Hargreaves who was a Series runner up and me and Corby who were semi-finalists were made to qualify (I lost by the way by about 20 points). Perhaps it should work the other way, Paul should qualify as well? Nothing personal of course, just stating the facts.

Martin
As D'O'D said, online ranking also plays a part- it's no coincidence the 5 invitees are currently ranked 1st-5th in the rankings. Ironically, the 3 who declined their invitations are well outside the top 10, and one isn't even ranked at all. :-/ Mr. Howe's performance in the c of c was another factor in sealing his invitation.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Fair enough I have no problem with that. I didn't think of it in fact.

As for last night's game, I believe the final score was 61-37 as Jon beat me with GRAPIER in round 1, the first numbers and MISCAST in round 6 where I offered MASTIC and didn't realise that it wasn't a mass noun (it's both a substance which is a mass noun and a plant which is not).

There was some controversy over the conundrum for which Jon offered CHILLBLAIN and it's spelt CHILBLAIN. I think Jon refused the 10 points and DOD listed the final score as 61-47, although I didn't actually solve the conundrum so I don't want the points either.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Martin Gardner wrote:Fair enough I have no problem with that. I didn't think of it in fact.

As for last night's game, I believe the final score was 61-37 as Jon beat me with GRAPIER in round 1, the first numbers and MISCAST in round 6 where I offered MASTIC and didn't realise that it wasn't a mass noun (it's both a substance which is a mass noun and a plant which is not).

There was some controversy over the conundrum for which Jon offered CHILLBLAIN and it's spelt CHILBLAIN. I think Jon refused the 10 points and DOD listed the final score as 61-47, although I didn't actually solve the conundrum so I don't want the points either.

Martin
I have to apologise for that debacle last night, Martin, but fortunately the game had been decided. My eyesight is a little buggered and Corby's answer looked right. At least the result of the match had already been decided otherwise it could have been a predicament.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

To be honest, on the show you only verbally give the word not type it, so personally I think CHILLBLAIN should have been accepted as an answer (after all, we all know how easy it is to make typographical errors)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I was wondering the same with my conundrum (DYSTOPIAN) - I had a brief panic before answering as to whether it was spelt DISTOPYAN (yeah yeah, it looks stupid when you write it down...) - although I presume that had I given that by mistake, we would have had more fun and games...
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

To be honest having not played Countdown online for a few years now, the hardest thing is visualising the letters and numbers. It also helps on the real show that you can hear the clock music - that way you always know how much time you have left.

Martin
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

So the results in:

David O'Donnell bt Michael Wallace
Tom Hargreaves bt Charlie Reams
Jon Corby bt Martin Gardner

Still to come:
Kirk Bevins to play Ben Pugh

As we now have only three slots available, two of the four winners will have the misfortune to face each other in another knockout. Drawn again by Mr Wilson, they are...

David O'Donnell vs Jon Corby!

Yes, it's a unfair, but that's what you get for not being in a CoC yet. If you could get your game played by the midnight Friday, I'll be most enamoured. Of course if Kirk and Ben fail to play by Friday then I'll give the place over to the losing player.

Good work so far chaps, all running smoothly.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie Reams wrote:
David O'Donnell vs Jon Corby!
I used to think you were a nice chap, Mr. Reams, witty, urbane and thoroughly decent. Now I realise that you are indeed an utter bastard, an utter utter bastard and the same goes for Ben Wilson.

PS I am going to use a solver, I cannot face the ignominy of losing to Corby yet again.

PPS When suits Mr. Corby?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

If I'd beaten Tom I would've just resigned my own place, so it all comes back to my lack of skill. Apologies.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Nah, it's fine. I have to conquer my nemesis sometime.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:Nah, it's fine. I have to conquer my nemesis sometime.
Bring it on, bitch.

(Not tonight though, I'm really not feeling well)

You annihilated me in the last game we played anyway! I'm a bit poo at the moment, MAJESTIC and IRRIGATE were poor misses last night, plus I missed that nine in today's show.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

You said that last time too ... then you c**ted me :twisted: :evil:

Edit: Can't play tonight anyway as I am off to the pub, later!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:To be honest, on the show you only verbally give the word not type it, so personally I think CHILLBLAIN should have been accepted as an answer (after all, we all know how easy it is to make typographical errors)
Nah, it wasn't a typo and I actually typed CHILLBAIN, so while I was heading in the right direction I undoubtedly (and embarrassingly) got the word wrong. Luckily, as David said, it was immaterial. Also, while Martin didn't answer, he didn't really get the chance as everyone thought the game was over, so presumably he thought the correct word had been typed, and therefore it's not much of a stretch of the imagination to assume that had mine been rejected (as it should have been) he would have examined why and offered the correct answer.

But, like, whatever.

Are you free at all tonight Dave? I'm playing football but should be available at about 2100/2130 - any volunteers to host too please? :)

Edit: Actually tomorrow night would be much better, as my missus is probably going out - I could still do tonight but I'll get less of an ear-bending tomorrow...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I'm on msn now as Ben agreed daytime on Thursday but hardly any Countdowners are here and neither is Ben. I hope to get it played today - I'm busy this evening.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Tonight isn't good for me, going to a concert, so it will have to be Friday ... 'bout 8/9?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:Tonight isn't good for me, going to a concert, so it will have to be Friday ... 'bout 8/9?
We'll pretend I can't do tonight either due to doing something cool like going to a gig as well, as that sounds better than my life being dictated by my other half. Tomorrow it is then, I'll get online as soon as I can once the kids are in bed, which will probably be a little after 8. Any volunteers to host please? :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

By the way, Ben Pugh beat me.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Corby wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Tonight isn't good for me, going to a concert, so it will have to be Friday ... 'bout 8/9?
We'll pretend I can't do tonight either due to doing something cool like going to a gig as well, as that sounds better than my life being dictated by my other half. Tomorrow it is then, I'll get online as soon as I can once the kids are in bed, which will probably be a little after 8. Any volunteers to host please? :)
On what level is a 30 year-old, prematurely balding, prematurely ejaculating singleton going to a Corrs gig on his own cooler than having a girlfriend?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ginger Jono wrote:On what level is a 30 year-old, prematurely balding, prematurely ejaculating singleton going to a Corrs gig on his own cooler than having a girlfriend?
You haven't seen my girlfriend.

Are you volunteering to host? ;)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Ginger Jono wrote:
Corby wrote:
On what level is a 30 year-old, prematurely balding, prematurely ejaculating singleton going to a Corrs gig on his own cooler than having a girlfriend?
My Dad went bald at about 19 so every day with enough for a comb-over is a blessing. I told you my premature ejaculation problem in the strictest confidence, Jono, how could you? I should be online at about 8 tonight, Corby, so I will wait about for you, looking forward to it.

PS A Corrs gig! :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

so hang on, David prematurely ejaculated at a Corrs gig?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Cut me some slack, it had been a while. :cry:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

...And form occurs as Corby wallops David 122-92. The first round draw has been made and looks like this-

Jon Corby vs. Conor Travers
Ben Pugh vs. Mark Tournoff
Tom Hargreaves vs. Paul Howe
Chris Wills vs. Jon O'Neill

All matches are 15-rounders and to be played by February 29th. Enjoy. :)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Interesting draw!

Tom, is it possible for us to play on either Sunday or Tuesday evening? Any time after 7 suits me, but if you can't do those days I think'll it'll have to wait till the week after next.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Hi Paul yeah Tuesday night after 7 will be fine - should anything change I'll let you know. Only have Ben's MSN address out of everyone and don't know if he's hosting so for safe measures e-mail ad is tommycockles85@hotmail.co.uk - looking forward to playing yourself.

TH
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Good stuff, I should be online by about 7ish but will be around all night so can play whatever time you feel like. If someone wants to host that would be great too.

My MSN is pshowe001@hotmail.com for anyone who doesn't have it, but please don't email me at this address as I don't check it.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I am sure there will be no shortage of hosts but I will be online around that time and will volunteer my services.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I just wanted to post the 100th post! :D I think this is the first thread to reach these dizzy heights.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Quarter-final result:

Jon Corby 121 - 129 Conor Travers

:(
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'll be playing Mr. Wills on Thursday evening at 7.30 should anybody want to observe. See you there me maties.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ginger Jono wrote:I'll be playing Mr. Wills on Thursday evening at 7.30 should anybody want to observe. See you there me maties.
I'd love to watch this, but I won't be back from playing football until about 2030. Don't suppose you'd consider putting it back until then...? I'll gladly volunteer to host :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I will miss this one, out doing boring singleton things. Will someone please recap it for me?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Corby wrote:I'd love to watch this, but I won't be back from playing football until about 2030.
Hmm, if we delay the tournament for 22 years then it might drag on almost as long as COOT 3.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I have learnt my lesson on that one Reams. :P Only one that isn't being played this week is Mark vs. Ben- if the two of you could play either Wednesday or Friday it'd be handy, as that was we can get the best-of-3 semi-finals started next week. :)
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Friday would be best for me as I've got an essay to write on Wednesday, although I can play then if absolutely necessary.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I have a slight problem here.

This is the first time I've used Messenger on this laptop and every time I sign in it's OK for a couple of minutes but then it signs me out and closes the program :(

Anyone know how I can fix this? I've been trying for the last 15 minutes and nothing obvious seems to work. If I can't get it fixed I'll borrow somone else's laptop for tonight's game but obviously I'd rather not have to do that.

EDIT: I think I've fixed this now. Fingers crossed!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

When are Messrs Pugh and Tournoff due to play as I'd like to watch the game? (Or any other games for that matter.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think it's Saturday lunchtime, but that's Unofficial.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think it's Saturday lunchtime, but that's Unofficial.
It is? I'm in Poland from Friday to Monday, so I can't play then. I'll step aside and let someone else (one of the other wildcards) play Mark if that's the only time he can play.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The game does need to be played by this weekend at the very latest- I don't want this dragging out, so if you could work something out I'd be grateful.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Basically I can only play tomorrow. I presume Mark is still having problems with his Internet connection?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

If either Mark or Ben are unavailable it seems a shame to forfeit the game. As Ben suggested one of the Wild Cards could fill in. I reckon DOD would be a strong contender and deserves another shot after having the misfortune to be drawn against Corby in a 2nd KO round. That said Mark and Ben may still yet play each other.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:If either Mark or Ben are unavailable it seems a shame to forfeit the game. As Ben suggested one of the Wild Cards could fill in. I reckon DOD would be a strong contender and deserves another shot after having the misfortune to be drawn against Corby in a 2nd KO round. That said Mark and Ben may still yet play each other.
If there is a forfeit, Doddy would get the remaining space as being the 'unluckiest wildcard'.

Unless one of the declining masters decided to reclaim their place, of course. ;-)
Mark Tournoff
Series 52 Champion

Post by Mark Tournoff »

Hi all, I've just logged on and caught up with all the posts over the last couple of weeks, and so have just seen your entry Ben P. saying you're away from today. It turns out that I'm available most of today, so if you get this in time give me a call on [number redacted -Ed] to fix up a time.

Mark T.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:If there is a forfeit, Doddy would get the remaining space as being the 'unluckiest wildcard'.
Rats, so if I'd lost the game, I'd still be in the competition? I almost wish I hadn't cheated now...

PS. Mark I'd have PM'd your mobile number to Ben if I were you - although this little community is pretty sound, this is a public message board and can be viewed by absolutely anyone. And there are real some weirdos out there in internet-land. I should know, I'm several of them.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Mark Tournoff wrote:Hi all, I've just logged on and caught up with all the posts over the last couple of weeks, and so have just seen your entry Ben P. saying you're away from today. It turns out that I'm available most of today, so if you get this in time give me a call on [number redacted -Ed] to fix up a time.

Mark T.
If you need someone to host the game I should be online. Ben has my contact details but feel free to add d_odonnell24@hotmail.com and that goes for the Internet weirdos too.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The original deadline has come and gone... obviously I don't want to have to resort to giving someone a bye in the tournament proper, so can someone update me on Mark vs. Ben/Dave and when it looks likely to go ahead?

In other news, Chris & Conor, can you start playing your semi-final please.

BJW
Mark Tournoff
Series 52 Champion

Post by Mark Tournoff »

Thanks David, that would be helpful. I'm going to see if Ben P. is available either tomorrow or Tuesday evening. Is either good for you?

Mark T.