Game of the Year (GotY) 2019 - voting

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Game of the Year (GotY) 2019 - voting

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Thanks to all those who submitted nominations for GotY 2019.

It has been customary to select a cut-off point such that 7-12 nominees make the final poll, indeed this year I included this clause in the nominations topic. However, this year saw a huge amount of nominators - nearly four times as many as last year. This led to 13 games having 4+ nominations. I could have included only those with 5+ nominations in the voting, but to exclude games with four nominations seemed a little harsh - especially looking at the standard of them. As such, I’m including all 13 with 4+ nominations here. I’m really grateful that so many people took the time to nominate, to have such a high turnout was really pleasing and I’ve enjoyed looking over the games that were nominated - 2019 was certainly a really good year for apterous.

Voting rules:

Each person should submit one of 12 options for each game when voting: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or Abstain (0 is worst and 10 is best). You can submit the same vote for as many games as you like. The games will be ranked by the average score received from the 0-10 votes (abstentions excluded), with the highest average score declared as the winner. You should submit a vote for every game, and abstentions are only permitted for games you were involved in (but you don't have to abstain in any case). Please ensure you pay attention to the variants and context, these games are here for a reason.

Nominees

Game A: Apterous Rex 1197 - 1189 Rob Foster
Game B: Bradley Horrocks 197 - 0 Apterous Prune
Game C: Apterous Nude 370 - 380 Matthew Tassier
Game D: Apterous Prime 157 - 175 Conor Travers
Game E: Callum Todd 227 - 0 Apterous Prune
Game F: Apterous Prune 0 - 1078 Jack Worsley
Game G: Apterous Prune 0 - 158 Callum Todd
Game H: Elliott Mellor 214 - 0 Apterous Prune
Game I: Jack Worsley 170 - 0 Apterous Prune
Game J: Oliver Garner 107 – 145 Thomas Carey
Game K: Elliott Mellor 112 - 0 Apterous Prune
Game L: Apterous Prune 0 - 115 Amie Bateen
Game M: Apterous Prune 0 - 200 Vincent Barcet

VOTING FOR GotY 2019 IS NOW OPEN AND WILL CLOSE ON SATURDAY 21 MARCH 2020 AT 11.59pm. VOTES SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO ME BY PRIVATE MESSAGE ON THIS FORUM OR BY APTOMAIL. PLEASE SUBMIT EACH VOTE ON A SEPARATE LINE, IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT:

(e.g.)
A - 2
B - 9
C - 8
D - 10
E - 4
F - 7
G – 3
H - 3
I - 7
J - 7
K - 10
L - 8
M - 6

Happy voting! :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Game of the Year (GotY) 2019 - voting

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Not long now to get your votes in! Thanks to all who have voted so far :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Voting close tomorrow!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Last day!!!!!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

THE GotY 2019 POLL HAS NOW CLOSED.

A MASSIVE thank you to all those who voted, and again to those who nominated. 15 people nominated a total of 83 unique games (with 160 total nominations). This is mega - almost four times as many nominators as last year and significantly more games. 15 people also voted - again almost four times as many as we had last year. It was really rewarding to see so many people take the time to do this and I hope the turnout next year is at least as good, hopefully more. :D

It is now time to reveal the results...

GOTY 2019 goes to Apterous Rex 1197 - 1189 Rob Foster
In second place we have Bradley Horrocks 197 - 0 Apterous Prune
In third place we have Apterous Prime 157 - 175 Conor Travers

Congratulations to Rob for winning GOTY for the second year running, and to Bradley and Conor for being very worthy second and third places.

Honourable mentions go to the following, which narrowly missed out on the top 3:
Elliott Mellor 112 - 0 Apterous Prune
Oliver Garner 107 – 145 Thomas Carey

See you all next year for GOTY 2020!

In the meantime, though, would there be any interest in a Game of the Decade? We've now had 10 Game of the Year instalments, and if there's any interest I'd be happy to run something to determine the best game of all the Game of the Years. I'll put a poll up soon to see what format people would prefer for this (eg whether to allow wildcards) and if enough people show interest, then I'll get it set up.

Thanks again! :D