Game of the Year (GotY) 2019 - nominations

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Game of the Year (GotY) 2019 - nominations

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Evening, all!

I'm setting up this thread to open the nominations for GotY 2019, and also for information and discussion about the GotY process.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Adam on behalf of everyone for running this so efficiently since it started in 2010. Adam has, in his time, given so much to the community and GotY is just one example of him doing this. Adam, you're a real credit to the community and we hope you are around (even as just a very casual member) for many years to come. Please accept this very happy face as a token of our appreciation: :D

I will now be taking over the running of GotY. I've plans to continue this for as long as possible, but likely several years down the line I will also be handing it over to someone new. For the foreseeable future, though, I am your organiser. I'm that scrawny lad who was the series 80 runner-up, in case you didn't fully know who I was.

So, without further ado...

Nominations are now open and will close on Saturday 22nd February 2020 at 11.59pm.

After nominations close, I'll post a new thread with the final nominees for the poll itself.

Nominations

The rules for the nominations are as follows:

1) Each person may nominate up to 25 games.
2) You may nominate any game from 2019. The GotW archive would be a good place to start looking (it lists the top 3 games from each GotW vote; you can see the other games that made it to the GotW vote by clicking on the date in the 'Week' column).
3) If you nominate a game that didn't make the top 3 in GotW results, then I'll mention it on a list that will be maintained at the bottom of this post, so that others will be able to see it (one mention per game, regardless of how many nominations it receives).

After nominations have closed and all nominations have been counted, I'll select a natural cut-off point such that around 7-12 nominees make the final poll.

Nominations should be submitted to me by aptomail or by private message on this forum. Please provide the date and full score of each game that you nominate, as well as a link to the game log (e.g. Ian Birdman 60 - 0 The Duellist, 1 January 2019). On that note, we miss you Ian </3

If you've already submitted your full complement of 25 nominations and then you change your mind, or you want to nominate a game posted in this thread, you will be allowed to nominate that game in place of a game that you had already nominated. Alternatively, you can nominate games in dribs and drabs - even one nomination could make a difference!

Please let me know if you have any questions and I hope you enjoy having a look back through some great games from 2019!

I have also listed below the previous winners of GotY, so that you can take a moment to peruse what people collectively voted were the best games of apterous in years gone by! The only person to win more than once is Conor (perhaps unsurprisingly).
2018: Rob Foster 715 – 723 Apterous Rex
2017: Ben Andrews 200 - 200 Martin Hurst
2016: Johnny Canuck 116 - 71 Tracey Mills
2015: Apterous Prune 0 - 1002 Jack Worsley
2014: Apterous Rex 795 - 788 Conor Travers
2013: Matthew Tassier 200 - 190 Apterous Rex
2012: Apterous Prune 0 - 987 Conor Travers
2011: Edward McCullagh 116 - 26 Michael Cullen
2010: Innis Carson 233 - 0 Apterous Prune
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Game of the Year (GotY) 2019 - nominations

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Reminder that nominations close in 3 weeks!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gosh, I'd better get on this soon.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

You had, Gev - you've only a few more days left to get your nominations in! Thanks to all who have submitted so far.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Nominations close tomorrow! Be quick if you still want to nominate!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Nominations have now closed.

Voting thread is live here.
Maureen Peters

Post by Maureen Peters »

Voting A