Controversial Musical Opinions.

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Tom S
Kiloposter

Controversial Musical Opinions.

Post by Tom S »

Apols if there is a similar thread.

I'll start by saying that the Pet Shop Boys are seriously overrated.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Controversial Musical Opinions.

Post by Marc Meakin »

Tom S wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:51 pm Apols if there is a similar thread.

I'll start by saying that the Pet Shop Boys are seriously overrated.
Not gonna argue with you.
I only liked West End Girls , super intro but after that , no interest really
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

There is no originality in popular music anymore
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Covers of Beatles songs were far superior to the originals. Exhibit A - Dear Prudence. Siouxsie knocked it out of the park.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:03 pm Covers of Beatles songs were far superior to the originals. Exhibit A - Dear Prudence. Siouxsie knocked it out of the park.
Covers can ruin originals. I'm not sure if this is controversial or not, but "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes is no longer worth listening to.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

An "octave" no more has eight notes than a week has eight days.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fred Mumford wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:03 pm Covers of Beatles songs were far superior to the originals. Exhibit A - Dear Prudence. Siouxsie knocked it out of the park.
There are some good examples that you are right.
Joe Cocker With s Little Help from My Friends
Something by Shirley Basset
Even the Version of Help sung by Himesh Patel in Yesterday.
But most covers are shit.
For context I should qualify that with a few examples.
Oasis I am the Walrus
Bananarama ...Help
Halfway Across The Universe...Rufus Wainwright
Got to Get You Into My Life ....Earth Wind and Fire.
Penny Lane...Jimmy Osmond and many , many more
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:33 pm An "octave" no more has eight notes than a week has eight days.
Totally with you there.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

I'm old enough to remember the release of Siouxsie's version, and was already familiar with the Beatle's White Album. I think the cover is ok, but never "far superior".

I think for a cover to be considered better than the original it needs to bring something new to the table. Joe Cocker's version of "With a Little Help From my Friends" does that, and I prefer his version.

Shirley Bassey is a wonderful singer, and her delivery of "Something" is great, but I prefer the George Harrison version, and it is this version that gets played on the radio today.

The song "Yesterday" is listed as one of the most covered songs of all time, but I doubt anyone could name a decent version, let alone a "far superior" one.

Incidentally, Siouxsie and the Banshees butchered "Helter Skelter", and did an insipid cover of Iggy Pop's "The Passenger".
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Paul Worsley wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 am I think the cover is ok, but never "far superior".
I wasn't expecting many people to agree, hence why I thought it suited the thread title perfectly.

Here's another one - I find Joni Mitchell almost unbearable to listen to. Just something about the tone/pitch of her voice, I always think it's about to crack, even though of course it never does - but I cringe every time I hear it.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

There is a similar thread somewhere, but I can't remember where, so don't hold it against you. I'll repeat myself though.

Bohemian Rhapsody is fucking horrible and that Queen are revered more for that song than for almost every other, better song they did, pains me.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Seeing as I highly doubt that the members of the Pet Shop Boys will not be reading this thread, I shall state some reasons why I dislike their music:
A. The music is monotonous.
B. Really not a fan of Neilbot Tennant's voice.
C. The majority of their songs are annoying.
D. I could go on....
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tom S wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm Seeing as I highly doubt that the members of the Pet Shop Boys will not be reading this thread, I shall state some reasons why I dislike their music:
D. I could go on....
I'm not sure how controversial this is. Most people probably haven't thought about the Pet Shop Boys in the last 30 years.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:33 pm There is a similar thread somewhere, but I can't remember where, so don't hold it against you. I'll repeat myself though.

Bohemian Rhapsody is fucking horrible and that Queen are revered more for that song than for almost every other, better song they did, pains me.
It is over played and Over rated
I like Radio Ga Ga and It's a Kinda Magic more.
I think if you were around when it first came out it was so different and memorable and a lot of people hold onto that .
Someone younger , like yourself , probably only know it from Wayne's World or when Freddie died and it had already lost its sheen
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I've never seen Wayne's World and Freddie died when I was 2. I just heard Queen from my parents listening to them, and only realised everyone else idolising them/BR so much when I got older.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:52 pm
Tom S wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm Seeing as I highly doubt that the members of the Pet Shop Boys will not be reading this thread, I shall state some reasons why I dislike their music:
D. I could go on....
I'm not sure how controversial this is. Most people probably haven't thought about the Pet Shop Boys in the last 30 years.
Just came to mind as they were performing for Radio 2's concert at the weekend.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

There's nothing wrong with Nickelback and the hatred is just a giant pile-on.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Michael Jackson was rightly revered for being a great performer, and innovative showman, but his song writing was nothing special.

"'Cause this is thriller....." No, Michael. This is horror.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:15 pm There's nothing wrong with Nickelback and the hatred is just a giant pile-on.
This will likely be deemed controversial, but it is correct.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Music is so subjective that I'm not sure there can ever be a consensus opinion over what is "good" or "bad", though, it's all just a matter of taste, and no two people will ever share exactly the same taste.

Anyway, my contribution (for now, I'll think of some more later) is that Saturday Night by Whigfield is one of the most perfect pop songs ever released.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:20 pm Music is so subjective that I'm not sure there can ever be a consensus opinion over what is "good" or "bad", though, it's all just a matter of taste, and no two people will ever share exactly the same taste.

Anyway, my contribution (for now, I'll think of some more later) is that Saturday Night by Whigfield is one of the most perfect pop songs ever released.
It's certainly a great earworm.
Perfect ballad...Roxette , It must Have been Love
Perfect pop song Sweet Caroline or maybe Can't take my eyes of of You by The Four Seasons
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Here's some of mine.

Phil Collins is good.

NuMetal from the 2000s has a pretty terrible reputation (and rightly so) but overall it actually had far better songs than the Emo scene and most of the pop punk from the same era, neither of which have as bad a reputation as they deserve.

On that note, Limp Bizkit's Nookie is an underrated tune.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:57 pm Here's some of mine.

Phil Collins is good.

NuMetal from the 2000s has a pretty terrible reputation (and rightly so) but overall it actually had far better songs than the Emo scene and most of the pop punk from the same era, neither of which have as bad a reputation as they deserve.

On that note, Limp Bizkit's Nookie is an underrated tune.
You might want to expand on the Phil Collins statement.
Two good Genesis albums and two good solo albums.
Oh and he is a dick.
That would be my reckoning at least
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The Bee Gees were one of the best bands to come from the UK (IoM I checked )
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Here's another one. I don't actually mind Bono's off stage antics. Sure he should be paying his taxes but the whole self important pontificating and ego maniacal behaviour is far more entertaining than his dreary music. U2 should be hated for their musical output not because of Bono's personality. If you're gonna hate U2 members for their personality the other three are worse.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:07 pm Here's another one. I don't actually mind Bono's off stage antics. Sure he should be paying his taxes but the whole self important pontificating and ego maniacal behaviour is far more entertaining than his dreary music. U2 should be hated for their musical output not because of Bono's personality. If you're gonna hate U2 members for their personality the other three are worse.
I have a theory that Live Aid ruined U2 in the same way that it made Queen.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I stand by all of these.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Ok. This is fun.

My contributions:-
1. The Eurovision Song Contest (since c1996) has provided at least one better written pop song per year than 10 or more of the 20 top selling chart singles of the year in question.
2. The following acts are overrated and some of them have no good songs at all:- David Bowie (2), Pink Flloyd (1), Led Zepelin (0), Public Enemy (0) 2Pac (1), Aretha Franklin (2), Missy Elliott (0), Black Sabbath (0), AC/DC (0), Arctic Monkeys (0), Prince (1), Ed Sheeran (0), Amy Winehouse (0), Adele (3).
3. In spite of a lack of critical acclaim, each of the following acts have at least one song better than the best song by any of the overrated artists listed above:- 2 Unlimited, The Vengaboys, Steps, S Club 7, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Madonna, The Corrs, Aqua, Daz Sampson, Cliff Richard, Bonnie Tyler, Des O'Connor.
4. The music of Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris et al should be played. The songs aren't paedophiles.
5. Even though it's Swedish (and Swedes almost always know best) Spotify is a bad idea.
6. Music is not always simply a matter of 'taste'. Some things are facts, and if you disagree - you're just wrong. (e.g. "John Cage was a pretentious twat." Fact. Verifiable. Irrefutable.)
7. "The Greatest Showman" is the greatest musical of the millennium thus far... by a long way.
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:36 pm Ok. This is fun.

1. The Eurovision Song Contest (since at c1996) has provided at least one better written pop song per year than at least 10 of the top 20 best selling chart singles of the year in question.
2. Each of the following acts are overrated and some of them have no good songs at all:- David Bowie (2), Pink Flloyd (1), Led Zepelin (0), Public Enemy (0) 2Pac (1), Aretha Franklin (2), Missy Elliott (0), Black Sabbath (0), AC/DC (0), Arctic Monkeys (0), Prince (1), Ed Sheeran (0), Amy Winehouse (0), Adele (3).
3. In spite of a lack of critical acclaim, each of the following acts have at least one song better than the best song by any of the overrated artists listed above:- 2 Unlimited, The Vengaboys, Steps, S Club 7, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Madonna, The Corrs, Aqua, Daz Sampson, Cliff Richard, Bonnie Tyler, Des O'Connor.
4. The music of Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris et al should be played. The songs aren't paedophiles.
5. Even though it's Swedish (and Swedes almost always know best) Spotify is a bad idea.
6. Music is not always simply a matter of 'taste'. Some things are facts, and if you disagree - you're just wrong. (e.g. "John Cage was a pretentious twat." Fact. Verifiable. Irrefutable.)
7. "The Greatest Showman" is the greatest musical of the millennium thus far... by a long way.
Here for the Eurovision comment- some of the artists mentioned in "2" strike a bit of a nerve though :)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Tom S wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:07 pm Here for the Eurovision comment- some of the artists mentioned in "2" strike a bit of a nerve though :)
Getting into the spirit of the thread.
#controversial :twisted:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Tom S wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:07 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:36 pm Ok. This is fun.

1. The Eurovision Song Contest (since at c1996) has provided at least one better written pop song per year than at least 10 of the top 20 best selling chart singles of the year in question.
2. Each of the following acts are overrated and some of them have no good songs at all:- David Bowie (2), Pink Flloyd (1), Led Zepelin (0), Public Enemy (0) 2Pac (1), Aretha Franklin (2), Missy Elliott (0), Black Sabbath (0), AC/DC (0), Arctic Monkeys (0), Prince (1), Ed Sheeran (0), Amy Winehouse (0), Adele (3).
Here for the Eurovision comment- some of the artists mentioned in "2" strike a bit of a nerve though :)
I agree with the first part , mainly because on the whole music since then on the whole is crap

2. Has a grain of truth in it for example if you took Bowie's Ouvre as a balance sheet then he probably made more crap than good but he had a great period in the seventies when he was on fire.
Most of the others are over rated.
Prince however is a musical genius .Agreed , like Bowie had a lot of crap , but Sign O' The Times is one of my top twenty albums of all time.
Back to Black saves Amy Winehouse .
3. Is a mix bag...some artists have had great hits but NOT the Venga Boys
4 . I kinda agree with.
I am something of a movie buff and I am forever saying seperate the art from the artist.
Polanski is a genius and Spacey is a great actor.
Their movies are not banned.
Two little Boys is my favourite childhood song
Great song if you have a big brother.
Glitter was part of glam rock and had a couple of corkers.
ToTP archives are fucked because of Jimmy Saville and I loved It's a Knockout but I'm going off topic.
Greta , climate change may have stolen your childhood.
But Operation Yewtree stole mine..
5, 6 and especially 7 are absolutely spot on
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Albums are generally overrated. A couple of good songs and mostly filler. An album track is the equivalent of a straight to DVD film.

"What's your favourite album?" is also a weird question. People have favourite songs. You're asking them to work out some sort of average across the album, which is a pretty pointless exercise.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 am Albums are generally overrated. A couple of good songs and mostly filler. An album track is the equivalent of a straight to DVD film.

"What's your favourite album?" is also a weird question. People have favourite songs. You're asking them to work out some sort of average across the album, which is a pretty pointless exercise.
Most Albums (do they still have albums ) do have fillers apart from live ones and greatest hits.
I can name a few exceptions.
Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.
Songs in The Key of Life by Stevie Wonder
In Rainbows by Radiohead.
Thriller by Michael Jackson
And probably my favourite album of all time , Graceland by Paul Simon
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

There are hundreds of good albums.

I would define a good album as one that you listen to from start to finish. It may have highlights, but that doesn't make the other tracks "fillers".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 am "What's your favourite album?" is also a weird question. People have favourite songs. You're asking them to work out some sort of average across the album, which is a pretty pointless exercise.
Most of my favourite albums aren't comprised of songs. (Or even tracks - one possible contender for my favourite album of all time, Mike Oldfield's Amarok, is a single 60-minute track.) Those that are tend to be original cast recordings of musicals where listening to the entire album in sequence recreates the experience of seeing the show and I wouldn't dream of skipping a song just because it's not one of the highlights - to do so unbalances the listening experience. No doubt many fans of other genres would argue that the same applies to their personal favourites.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:36 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 am "What's your favourite album?" is also a weird question. People have favourite songs. You're asking them to work out some sort of average across the album, which is a pretty pointless exercise.
Most of my favourite albums aren't comprised of songs. (Or even tracks - one possible contender for my favourite album of all time, Mike Oldfield's Amarok, is a single 60-minute track.) Those that are tend to be original cast recordings of musicals where listening to the entire album in sequence recreates the experience of seeing the show and I wouldn't dream of skipping a song just because it's not one of the highlights - to do so unbalances the listening experience. No doubt many fans of other genres would argue that the same applies to their personal favourites.
Concept albums are ones to listen from start to finish.

I think skipping tracks is a 21st Century concept.
I'm surprised if anyone ( sweeping statement alert ) under 25 has the attention span to listen to a whole album these days
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Electronic dance music (house, techno, whatever you're having yourself) is the modern equivalent of classical music
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Oh, and controversial musical opinions (not mine).... that these are the top 100 songs ;-)
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13686
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

sean d wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:22 pm Electronic dance music (house, techno, whatever you're having yourself) is the modern equivalent of classical music
The modern equivalent of classical music is modern classical music.
Albums by Mike Oldfield ,Tomita and others have far more right to say that than what you said.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Rush and Tool fans are worse than Rick and Morty fans for putting you off the thing they like.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I might as well do live music while I'm here. If you go to see a band live it's not as good as listening to their recorded music. "Oh but - but the atmosphere". Whatever. It's not the main thing. The quality of the music from a band performing live is invariably worse than their recorded music. It's nothing like live comedy where being present can enhance it because of the way the comedian can include the audience in the jokes. Plus the sound quality from the comedian's microphone is not what you're there for. And also the "atmosphere" at a live music concert is really just a load of insufferable fanboys worshipping the band like some sort of god.

Arguably even worse is buying a CD of "live" stuff. (Obviously everything is actually live when it's recorded hence the quotes.) Then it's surely just the worst of both worlds.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

100% agree with Gavin. Live music is usually crap. Best gig I was at was Alice Cooper but that's because he puts on a show. It was basically a magic act set to his music. He got chopped up in a guillotine and stuff before reappearing and I really enjoyed it but the actual music quality was sub standard. It didn't matter much as I don't really like his music anyway, maybe two or three songs, but I'd probably have enjoyed it more if they just played the cd.

Also saw Suede who were pretty good, the music didn't suffer as much, but the crowd were insufferable. I hate any sort of hero worship and some people were delighted with themselves because they managed to brush their fingertips off brett when he jumped in the crowd. It was deplorable carry on.

Also anyone who films any part of a gig on their phone should be killed. I don't mind you taking a few pictures but what do you need to film it for. The sound is always shocking, like a photocopy of a photocopy.

Only time live music is good for me is really small, intimate venue where it's more of a jamming session. I was in my local one night and two dudes sat in the corner played an acoustic guitar and a tin whistle and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up straight. It's the only time I ever felt like the whole scenario was adding to the music. You wouldn't have bought a recording of the same music because in that case it was the atmosphere.

I didn't go to the pub to see these guys play they just happened to be there. I think that's better. Music should be the background to an event rather than be the event itself. I don't think I'm ever going to pay in to a gig ever again unless it's to support a mate.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 pm I might as well do live music while I'm here. If you go to see a band live it's not as good as listening to their recorded music.
Wow. I know this is the "Controversial Musical Opinions" thread, and I kept quiet when someone said Bonnie Tyler had a better song than anything Bowie ever did, but this can't be right.

Obviously, not all bands are good live, but there are tons that are. It really comes down to musicianship. A good musician can interact with an audience just as well as a good comedian can.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 pm I might as well do live music while I'm here. If you go to see a band live it's not as good as listening to their recorded music. "Oh but - but the atmosphere". Whatever. It's not the main thing. The quality of the music from a band performing live is invariably worse than their recorded music. It's nothing like live comedy where being present can enhance it because of the way the comedian can include the audience in the jokes. Plus the sound quality from the comedian's microphone is not what you're there for. And also the "atmosphere" at a live music concert is really just a load of insufferable fanboys worshipping the band like some sort of god.

Arguably even worse is buying a CD of "live" stuff. (Obviously everything is actually live when it's recorded hence the quotes.) Then it's surely just the worst of both worlds.
Having seen
Stevie Wonder , Prince , Linkin Park , Radiohead,
Queen and Michael Jackson Live , I beg to differ , that these and a few others are the exception.
Bands like The Beatles were crap live because of all the screaming
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I will list crap live performances I have seen
Madonna , Elton John , Duran Duran , Spandau Ballet , Marilyn Manson , Guns n Roses and Kim Wilde.
Some were probably because they are past there best some because you can't dance and sing well live.
The others were crap because they are crap.
Disclaimer , some of these artists were at festivals or support bands and I wouldn't pay money to see normally
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I saw the Stereo MCs a few years ago. The chap's vocals weren't fab and he was high as a kite, but it was still one of the best gigs I've personally seen due to his stage presence. Not sure whether it's controversial to say that sometimes it's stage presence>vocals for me at a gig....
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Mark James wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 pm Also saw Suede who were pretty good, the music didn't suffer as much, but the crowd were insufferable. I hate any sort of hero worship and some people were delighted with themselves because they managed to brush their fingertips off brett when he jumped in the crowd. It was deplorable carry on.
I feel personally attacked by this relatable content :?

Standing gigs when you're under 5"5 are often difficult to enjoy because it's just one big fight with the crowd - to see anything at all, to not be launched into/stuck in some sweaty dude's armpit, people being creepy or aggressive - and it's a bit of an overrated experience generally unless you're seeing an act that's amazing live or one of your favourite artists. But it can be incredible!

Live albums, on the other hand...
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

When I took my daughter to see Linkin Park at the O2 , you could buy for a nominal fee a live album of the gig which I thought was a cool idea.
Buying live albums you haven't been to , I can understand those that may not like them
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 am Live albums, on the other hand...
There are a few notable exceptions. At Filmore East is better than any studio album produced by The Allman Brothers. Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous is their best album, in my opinion, although there is a lot of debate about just how live it is. B.B.King Live at the Regal is another example.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Paul Worsley wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 am Live albums, on the other hand...
There are a few notable exceptions. At Filmore East is better than any studio album produced by The Allman Brothers. Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous is their best album, in my opinion, although there is a lot of debate about just how live it is. B.B.King Live at the Regal is another example.
Frampton Comes Alive was the best and greatest selling live album in the seventies
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 pm The Bee Gees were one of the best bands to come from the UK (IoM I checked )
You can argue they're from the UK because they grew up near Manchester, but the Isle of Man isn't in the UK.

Great songwriters.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 pm I might as well do live music while I'm here. If you go to see a band live it's not as good as listening to their recorded music.
Objectively, I agree. in terms of technique etc, it's never going to be as polished. But the energy of the musicians and the crowd, the show, the volume allowing the music to be felt by the whole body, the heaving mass of humanity fighting for air (often literally) all adds up to some amazing experiences. I've rarely cried at a studio recording, but live music gets to me quite often.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 pm The Bee Gees were one of the best bands to come from the UK (IoM I checked )
You can argue they're from the UK because they grew up near Manchester, but the Isle of Man isn't in the UK.

Great songwriters.
If the Isle of Man is not part of the UK , is it a sovereign state then ?
Edit, just checked , it is a Crown Dependency
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:36 pm4. The music of Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris et al should be played. The songs aren't paedophiles.
This was quite an easy one for most radio stations though. "Rock And Roll" kind of stands up today but all the rest of the Glitter stuff is really dated now. And it's not as though much other early 70s glam stuff gets played these days (I guess because it does sound so dated). As for Rolf Harris, all his recorded output is insufferable shite. "Two Little Boys" is particularly vomit-inducing.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:36 pm4. The music of Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris et al should be played. The songs aren't paedophiles.
This was quite an easy one for most radio stations though. "Rock And Roll" kind of stands up today but all the rest of the Glitter stuff is really dated now. And it's not as though much other early 70s glam stuff gets played these days (I guess because it does sound so dated). As for Rolf Harris, all his recorded output is insufferable shite. "Two Little Boys" is particularly vomit-inducing.
Two little boys has a poignancy , because I have older brothers and The Court of King Caractacus is another favourite.
Also I performed Jake the Peg in a school concert.
So leave the antipodean convicted kiddy fiddler alone
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

JimBentley wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm This was quite an easy one for most radio stations though. "Rock And Roll" kind of stands up today but all the rest of the Glitter stuff is really dated now. And it's not as though much other early 70s glam stuff gets played these days (I guess because it does sound so dated). As for Rolf Harris, all his recorded output is insufferable shite. "Two Little Boys" is particularly vomit-inducing.
Apparently, shortly before his arrest a paintings by Rolf Harris were changing hands for tidy sums in anticipation of them increasing in value once he snuffed it.

I'm guessing you can pick up a "Rolf" on the cheap now.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Paul Worsley wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:00 pm
JimBentley wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm This was quite an easy one for most radio stations though. "Rock And Roll" kind of stands up today but all the rest of the Glitter stuff is really dated now. And it's not as though much other early 70s glam stuff gets played these days (I guess because it does sound so dated). As for Rolf Harris, all his recorded output is insufferable shite. "Two Little Boys" is particularly vomit-inducing.
Apparently, shortly before his arrest a paintings by Rolf Harris were changing hands for tidy sums in anticipation of them increasing in value once he snuffed it.

Does the Queen still have her portrait that he did , I wonder ?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:19 pm
Objectively, I agree. in terms of technique etc, it's never going to be as polished. But the energy of the musicians and the crowd, the show, the volume allowing the music to be felt by the whole body, the heaving mass of humanity fighting for air (often literally) all adds up to some amazing experiences. I've rarely cried at a studio recording, but live music gets to me quite often.
Summed up pretty well I think. Bit sad for anyone who hasn't been to a gig good enough to leave them realising how awesome live music can be.

Sit down gigs for not-sit down music suck though.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I've never been stopped from standing up at a seated arena. Namely , Prince and Stevie Wonder
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Paul Worsley wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:00 pm

I was a big "Rolf" fan - at the tender age of 5 I went on stage with him (having written a letter) and my parents bought a painting. (No, there was nothing remiss and I am not traumatised by the experience!)

Many years later, my eldest son worked for the guy who looked after his garden, and my son was pretty friendly with his wife and met him on a couple of occasions.

Proper upset when the news came out, but it's right that it's no longer played.