Questions you've always wanted answered

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks »

How is water wasted? My mum always used to have a go at me for wasting water, leaving taps on etc, but surely it just goes back into the system. Surely water is either in the human man made sewage/plumbing system, a river, the sea, the sky, or the ground making its way down to the water table? If it is true that some of the water we drink will also once have been dinosaur piss (a fact I read somewhere that stuck with me and that may not be a fact), how can it also be "wasted" if it is that inexhaustible?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 am How is water wasted? My mum always used to have a go at me for wasting water, leaving taps on etc, but surely it just goes back into the system. Surely water is either in the human man made sewage/plumbing system, a river, the sea, the sky, or the ground making its way down to the water table? If it is true that some of the water we drink will also once have been dinosaur piss (a fact I read somewhere that stuck with me and that may not be a fact), how can it also be "wasted" if it is that inexhaustible?
In many places, water is drawn from fresh water aquifers via wells or whatever, and they have a finite capacity - basically, fresh water is very limited and is becoming more so. Most water is salty, and it takes a lot of energy to make water potable, so it's pretty expensive to desalinate water, making it beyond the reach of many regions. Also, putting that cleaned water back into the natural system is a waste of that energy.

In the UK, we're lucky to have a lot of fresh water resource, although it's becoming a problem in the southeast of England as far as I'm aware.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

See also the Aral Sea, or the lack thereof.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matthew Green wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm Some questions:

Why does the judge on Masterchef speak so loud and why is he so angry?

Why would Peter Jones lower himself to those cringeworthy money supermarket ads when he's already a multi-millionaire?

And why don't you see white dogshit anymore?
Saw some white dogshit today. Very nostalgic. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:32 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am Why has it become a thing that sites where yo have to log in now have a separate page for your username and password? It used to always be one under the other, but now you enter your username and click "next" to get the bit where you enter your password. There'd better be a fucking good reason for this, because on the face of it, it's really stupid and annoying.
It buggers with the auto complete function
Is that just an aside, or is that something to do with the reason?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark James wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am
Matthew Green wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm Some questions:And why don't you see white dogshit anymore?
Saw some white dogshit today. Very nostalgic. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
Come to my back garden, you can pick up numerous examples every day. Or to put it another way, our dogs eat raw food (basically, minced meat and bone), so every poo goes white as it dries. Most pets nowadays are fed processed rubbish which increases the volume of shit, and either dilutes or doesn't include the component that remains and dries to a light colour.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:32 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am Why has it become a thing that sites where yo have to log in now have a separate page for your username and password? It used to always be one under the other, but now you enter your username and click "next" to get the bit where you enter your password. There'd better be a fucking good reason for this, because on the face of it, it's really stupid and annoying.
It buggers with the auto complete function
Is that just an aside, or is that something to do with the reason?
Also, the two most familiar examples of this system to me - eBay and Google - both still work with browser-based autocomplete.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm In the UK, we're lucky to have a lot of fresh water resource, although it's becoming a problem in the southeast of England as far as I'm aware.
Maybe if they didn't put so much of it in their beer, they wouldn't have a problem.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

You often hear that two boxers have different championship belts and when they fight each other it will "unify" the belts or something. So why don't they then stay unified for eternity?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Because each organisation recommends a mandatory challenger to the belt holder and sometimes if you don't fight them then you get stripped of your belt.
All bollocks I know.
Btw blame the start of all these different organisations on Muhammad Ali
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

While I get that sports fans like me indirectly spend a lot of money watching our favourite games, why the HELL do people directly give some serious amounts of money to online gaming streamers?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark Deeks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 am While I get that sports fans like me indirectly spend a lot of money watching our favourite games, why the HELL do people directly give some serious amounts of money to online gaming streamers?
Each to their own.
It's another form of addiction
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am
Mark Deeks wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 am While I get that sports fans like me indirectly spend a lot of money watching our favourite games, why the HELL do people directly give some serious amounts of money to online gaming streamers?
Each to their own.
It's another form of addiction
Giving money to people? Well direct them towards me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Obviously I haven't always wanted this question answered but:

I'm no cricket fan anyway, but how do people (both players and fans) motivate themselves to really give a shit about the Ashes almost immediately after winning the World Cup?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm Obviously I haven't always wanted this question answered but:

I'm no cricket fan anyway, but how do people (both players and fans) motivate themselves to really give a shit about the Ashes almost immediately after winning the World Cup?
The one day game to a lot of people , me included , is an inferior version of the game.
At the risk of appearing on Fiona Ts radar
It's the fucking Aussies.
Any instantces of beating the Aussies at any sport , especially cricket , should be savoured
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm Obviously I haven't always wanted this question answered but:

Aside from the history and rivalry, the difference between the one day and test match versions is big enough that the Ashes is a distinct challenge. England have consistently been the best one day team over the last 4 years, culminating in winning the World Cup, but their test form has been somewhat mediocre, and the players wouldn't go into the series thinking they had nothing left to prove.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
It allows a miasma of faeces to escape when the bog is flushed. it also doesn't look very neat.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 pm
It allows a miasma of faeces to escape when the bog is flushed.
It really doesn't, unless you've got some sort of super-turbine toilet that throws the water from the toilet bowl all over your bathroom. Sure, a few microbial parts may find their way out, but you're not going to get ill from those, unless you're already heavily immunologically compromised, in which case you're far more likely to get ill from something else, shaking hands with someone for instance.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 pm

It allows a miasma of faeces to escape when the bog is flushed.
It really doesn't, unless you've got some sort of super-turbine toilet that throws the water from the toilet bowl all over your bathroom. Sure, a few microbial parts may find their way out, but you're not going to get ill from those, unless you're already heavily immunologically compromised, in which case you're far more likely to get ill from something else, shaking hands with someone for instance.
Yeah, I know I've survived this long, but I like to think such claims creep people out a bit. Plus it's neater.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I want to return to this actually - I know it's supposedly a thing that women complain about men leaving the toilet seat up so they have to go to the great deal of effort to put it down again.

But if there is a "civilised" way to do it, it's to put both the seat and the lid down. If you leave the lid up, there's no moral highground to be had for those who leave the seat down. It's all the same.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Moving away from this 👆.
My brother insists his birth mark has move significantly over the years, I call bullshit on the basis that tattoos don't move so how can birthmarks move.
Can anyone throw any light on this ?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm
I want to return to this actually - I know it's supposedly a thing that women complain about men leaving the toilet seat up so they have to go to the great deal of effort to put it down again.

But if there is a "civilised" way to do it, it's to put both the seat and the lid down. If you leave the lid up, there's no moral highground to be had for those who leave the seat down. It's all the same.
I agree, but I get told off for putting the lid down. So I now put the lid down everywhere but in my own house.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How does your body know when to make you need to go for a poo? Quite often if I've been out and not needing to go at all, I'll get back and then start needing to go quite urgently. It can't just be a coincidence that I happen to get back just in time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am

I agree, but I get told off for putting the lid down. So I now put the lid down everywhere but in my own house.
I think you need to have a conversation about this.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Oh, we have.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Oh, we have.
I want a transcript.
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

And how come the postal address is still in Leeds?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Phil H wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

Perhaps another one to add to this (though it does not appear under always wanted to know) was as to why Robin Johnson was not present in the S79 finals- though of course, it does not need to made public if the subject is of a private/personal matter.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tom S wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:18 pm
Phil H wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

Perhaps another one to add to this (though it does not appear under always wanted to know) was as to why Robin Johnson was not present in the S79 finals- though of course, it does not need to made public if the subject is of a private/personal matter.
Presumably he couldn't make the recording dates. It's not even that rare is it? Why single him out?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:13 pm
Tom S wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Presumably he couldn't make the recording dates. It's not even that rare is it? Why single him out?
Just that he's the only one who has not been able to since I started watching. They usually mention if someone could not attend (i.e. Annie), but don't recall anything being said about Robin.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:36 pm Moving away from this 👆.
My brother insists his birth mark has move significantly over the years, I call bullshit on the basis that tattoos don't move so how can birthmarks move.
Can anyone throw any light on this ?
If he's recently gained a lot of weight (or lost a lot of weight), it could appear that way. But no, the skin doesn't move. It's actually quite a deep structure and is strongly integrated with the underlying flesh.

Very occasionally, molar birthmarks can change size or shape which can be an indication of malignant melanoma. It's pretty rare but is always worth getting checked out, if that's the case.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

<waves>

I failed my first audition. It's not uncommon. They give you another go a few days/weeks later.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I failed one back in the day when you had auditions at a hotel in central London I think either Kings cross or Euston.
I arrived late due to tube issues.
And I got flustered and started to stammer and Ballsed up the numbers rounds.
Will maybe try again in a few years
I think my audition might have been 1990
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

There was a round on Pointless featuring celebrities called _____ junior and they were all men. It's probably not convention for women named after their mother to get the junior moniker but it got me thinking that I can't think of any women who are named after their mother. Does anyone know any?

Also I would be tempted to put people who do name their kids after themselves in the people you shouldn't trust thread. It's not only narcissistic but shows a total lack of imagination.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 pm Also I would be tempted to put people who do name their kids after themselves in the people you shouldn't trust thread. It's not only narcissistic but shows a total lack of imagination.
Good call, although sometimes it might be a "family tradition" rather than narcissism.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 pm
Mark James wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 pm Also I would be tempted to put people who do name their kids after themselves in the people you shouldn't trust thread. It's not only narcissistic but shows a total lack of imagination.
Good call, although sometimes it might be a "family tradition" rather than narcissism.
Still fails on the total lack of imagination front I think though. One of the best things about having kids is getting to give them fun names. See also: pets.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

You could be like George Foreman and name all your boys after you
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 am You could be like George Foreman and name all your boys after you
And a daughter Georgetta.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 am You could be like George Foreman and name all your boys after you
And a grill.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 am
Mark James wrote:
And a grill.
I thought that was a George Formby 😄
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

My sister's middle name was our mother's first one (and similarly for me and my brother - our father had three initials, so we had one each) - I guess this would be a family tradition for many people.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What does it actually mean when someone gets off on a "technicality"? I was wondering that a few days ago, and then I thought to myself that maybe it just happens in films and TV programmes and that it's it's not a real thing, but then I came across this just now.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 pm What does it actually mean when someone gets off on a "technicality"? I was wondering that a few days ago, and then I thought to myself that maybe it just happens in films and TV programmes and that it's it's not a real thing, but then I came across this just now.
There are quite a few instances of someone getting off on a technicality.
The kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh's baby being a famous one
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 pm What does it actually mean when someone gets off on a "technicality"? I was wondering that a few days ago, and then I thought to myself that maybe it just happens in films and TV programmes and that it's it's not a real thing, but then I came across this just now.
There are quite a few instances of someone getting off on a technicality.
The kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh's baby being a famous one
But what is it?

Edit - I had a look around and found this which might be of interest. Very American though. Maybe people only get off on technicalities in America though!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The Statute of Limitations is a good example.
Until recently it was only 20 years in France until a recent case involving a paedophile priest who was protected from justice , primarily by the clergy .
If you watched the film By the Grace of God it shows you how the law is an ass , but after he admitted his guilt the priest didn't envisage someone coming forward to sue him.
Although still awaiting trial along with the bishop , technically innocent (in spite of admissions ) , the SoL has been changed to 30 years so he (they ) won't escape justice on s technicality
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

When Prince Philip dies on Thursday (he's pretty old so this will probably happen) will we still get the through-the-night election coverage, or will it all be about a gaffe-prone out-of-touch buffoon? Or maybe Prince Philip?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 pm When Prince Philip dies on Thursday (he's pretty old so this will probably happen) will we still get the through-the-night election coverage, or will it all be about a gaffe-prone out-of-touch buffoon? Or maybe Prince Philip?
More importantly , what pastel colour will Jo Swinton be wearing
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:46 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 pm When Prince Philip dies on Thursday (he's pretty old so this will probably happen) will we still get the through-the-night election coverage, or will it all be about a gaffe-prone out-of-touch buffoon? Or maybe Prince Philip?
More importantly , what pastel colour will Jo Swinton be wearing
Not sure who Jo Swinton is, do you mean the Queen? And surely she'd wear black?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Why steal famous art? You can't display it or sell it to anyone who intends to display it, so where's the value?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:45 pm Why steal famous art? You can't display it or sell it to anyone who intends to display it, so where's the value?
Everything for sale has a buyer somewhere
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why is your sense of feeling called your "sense of touch"? It would be like saying "sense of eat", "sense of listen", "sense of sniff" or "sense of look". This has always annoyed me. It's a really shit name.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It's a really shit name.
says Gavin Chipper
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If this was "Questions you've never remotely considered asking", one of them would be "What is COPPA?"
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

What sort of company thinks that 23:15 on Christmas Eve is a good time to send out your updated privacy notice and terms and conditions.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:18 pm What sort of company thinks that 23:15 on Christmas Eve is a good time to send out your updated privacy notice and terms and conditions.
It depends where the company is based.
Just wished my daughter a merry Christmas in Japan and it's like any other day out there
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Why people are allowed to do remixes of "Fairytale Of New York". They're never going to match the original and they all sound utterly diabolical.
Last edited by Elliott Mellor on Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:30 am Why people are allowed to do remixes of "Fairy Of New York". They're never going to match the original and they all sound utterly diabolical.
I don't know this song .
Is it about Quentin Crisp ?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Haha, promise I wasn't too drunk!

Edited.