Countdown in Brinsworth 2019

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Date: TBC
Venue: My home but for personal reasons I can’t give the address [map]
Admission: £5
Hosted by: Ashton Hancock
Doors open: 11:45 for an 12:45am start, draw at 12:50
Games to be played: At least 7 including final
Finishes by: 6pm-6:30pm
Wheelchair accessible?: Yes

Ashton Says

Yes for the 1st time ever I will be hosting a Co-Event in Brinsworth, my home town and I would like to ask you to join us some time in August but as I am a season ticket holder at Rotherham United it will be scheduled around that (I rarely attend away games) (it won’t be on the 10th due to COMK19).
I will be hosting it at my own home in the garden but I can’t give you my address (When you sign up I will private message it you).

Format

Played in Bristol classroom style with 6 9-round games (5L 3N 1C,LLNLLNLNC) players are drawn into pairs. And the top 2 will play a 15 round final (10L 4N 1C,LLNLLNLLNLLLLNC).

Food

I suggest you bring your own food but their is a TESCO EXPRESS round the corner on Brinsworth Lane as well as a Subway at the ESSO garage on Bawtry Road. Tea, Coffee, Water and Juices are available.

Confirmed Entrants

Brain Blessed
Charlotte Bronte
Gareth Gates
Last edited by Ashton Hancock on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:18 am, edited 12 times in total.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Countdown in Brinsworth 2019

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Will there be a pub crawl?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Just over 2 months to go the Countdown is on !
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Need some participants please.
Cathy Summerside

Post by Cathy Summerside »

Ashton
Until now, I have chosen to ignore your posts but as you have sent me 2 private messages in the space of a few hours marked ‘Important’ I will reply, but in open forum so that other community members can read what I have said to you.
Despite you telling me ‘please you need to apply’, I will not be attending your event. Please be aware that I have only ever attended, and will only ever attend, Countdown events which are held in public venues or in the homes of personal friends – and by ‘personal friends’ I mean people I have met in real life, not online.
Having thought about your recent posts and the event you are planning, I can only think of 4 possible explanations:
1. You are a very lonely person who wants to make friends and get attention, even if that means telling obvious lies;
2. You have a sick sense of humour and have created a fake persona because you get a kick out of writing fake posts, presumably designed to wind people up;
3. You have a neurological or mental health condition which means that you don’t pick up on social cues (e.g. why people sometimes aren’t nice to you) or understand the difference between reality and fantasy;
4. You have evil intentions and genuinely believe that people will turn up at your house for your gratification.
I will go through each of those in turn.
1. If you genuinely want to make friends, listen to what the others on here are telling you about the impact of your posts. Stop repeatedly posting on this site and stop telling lies. Then come along to a public Countdown event and say hi to us. If it’s true that you have travelled to other countries, you can travel to UK events as the rest of us do.
2. I do not really need to expand on this one except to say that it won’t work, so just stop it. However, I will say that posing as a child in order that people will be nice to you is deeply disturbing. You asked in one post if children were allowed at Co events. I am concerned that you are an adult who is hoping to meet children on this site or at a Co event.
3. Talk to a trusted family member or friend and show them your posts on here and the event you are planning. Ask them what they think about it and see what they advise you to do. They might be able to explain to you why sometimes people respond to you in a way you don’t understand. If you think you need help, talk to a health professional.
4. No-one on here is naïve enough to turn up at a private house to meet a stranger.

Please do not write to me again as I won’t respond. If you persist, I will block you and report you to the admins.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Unfortunately blocking a user does not appear to prevent them sending private messages. I blocked Ashton after he posted libellous, defamatory lies about me, but I am still receiving messages. My categorical response that I would not be attending after his first message was followed by two further requests for attendance.

Ashton, do not send me any more messages.
Last edited by Fiona T on Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Cathy Summerside wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am Ashton
Until now, I have chosen to ignore your posts but as you have sent me 2 private messages in the space of a few hours marked ‘Important’ I will reply, but in open forum so that other community members can read what I have said to you.
Despite you telling me ‘please you need to apply’, I will not be attending your event. Please be aware that I have only ever attended, and will only ever attend, Countdown events which are held in public venues or in the homes of personal friends – and by ‘personal friends’ I mean people I have met in real life, not online.
Having thought about your recent posts and the event you are planning, I can only think of 4 possible explanations:
1. You are a very lonely person who wants to make friends and get attention, even if that means telling obvious lies;
2. You have a sick sense of humour and have created a fake persona because you get a kick out of writing fake posts, presumably designed to wind people up;
3. You have a neurological or mental health condition which means that you don’t pick up on social cues (e.g. why people sometimes aren’t nice to you) or understand the difference between reality and fantasy;
4. You have evil intentions and genuinely believe that people will turn up at your house for your gratification.
1. If you genuinely want to make friends, listen to what the others on here are telling you about the impact of your posts. Stop repeatedly posting on this site and stop telling lies. Then come along to a public Countdown event and say hi to us. If it’s true that you have travelled to other countries, you can travel to UK events as the rest of us do.
2. I do not really need to expand on this one except to say that it won’t work, so just stop it. However, I will say that posing as a child in order that people will be nice to you is deeply disturbing. You asked in one post if children were allowed at Co events. I am concerned that you are an adult who is hoping to meet children on this site or at a Co event.
3. Talk to a trusted family member or friend and show them your posts on here and the event you are planning. Ask them what they think about it and see what they advise you to do. They might be able to explain to you why sometimes people respond to you in a way you don’t understand. If you think you need help, talk to a health professional.
4. No-one on here is naïve enough to turn up at a private house to meet a stranger.

Please do not write to me again as I won’t respond. If you persist, I will block you and report you to the admins.
I've entertained the possibility that this is some very unusual fetish. I'm not sure I buy that he's unaware of what he's doing and at best I think he's just a troll. At worst, who knows.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:24 pm
Cathy Summerside wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am Ashton

I've entertained the possibility that this is some very unusual fetish. I'm not sure I buy that he's unaware of what he's doing and at best I think he's just a troll. At worst, who knows.
I am only 11 sorry for lying will someone help me
Cathy Summerside

Just in case you are an 11 year old boy, I will reply one more time, but this is my final word about it. First of all, you told us you were a child, then you told us that you were much older and pretending to be a child, and now you have just told us that you are in fact a child. The members of this forum, myself included, do not know what to believe. You have asked for help, so (because I am a parent and care about children) I will give you 3 pieces of advice, which relate to life in general, not just to this forum: 1. Do not tell lies. Telling lies about other people can have very serious effects on them. 2. Do not pester people for answers if they don’t reply to you. It means that they don’t want to reply, and they don’t have to, however much you think they should. 3. If people aren’t nice to you, ask your parent, guardian or teacher for advice about what you might have said or done that might have made them react to you in that way, and learn from the experience.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Public Apologie

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Hi

I would like to make a public apologie for my actions.

I joined this forum on 11th May and on 13th May I made my 1st post I would publicly like to apologize for my bad actions.

Countdown in Brinsworth would have gone ahead if I had entrants but it seems that no one is interested.

Can people please give me advice on how to host this maybe one of you could host it with me.

And finally I would like to confirm that I am 11 years old. Again I apologize for lying.

Ashton
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Public Apologie

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:56 pm Hi

I joined this forum on 11th May and on 13th May I made my 1st post I would publicly like to apologize for my bad actions.

Countdown in Brinsworth would have gone ahead if I had entrants but it seems that no one is interested.

Can people please give me advice on how to host this maybe one of you could host it with me.

And finally I would like to confirm that I am 11 years old. Again I apologize for lying.

Ashton
No person is going to be trusting of an 11 year old's capability to hold an event, much less one who has never even attended events themselves - it requires a lot of planning and work. If you are serious about hosting one it is probably better spending a good few years getting to know the community and attending a few events yourself. Also, unless your house is truly palatial it's very unlikely it would be in any way a feasible venue, added to that there's all sorts of other issues: are your parent(s) really okay with the idea of a large group of adults whom you have never met nor really interacted with going to your house? There's absolutely no way in hell I would allow that if I had children.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Ashton
No person is going to be trusting of an 11 year old's capability to hold an event, much less one who has never even attended events themselves - it requires a lot of planning and work. If you are serious about hosting one it is probably better spending a good few years getting to know the community and attending a few events yourself. Also, unless your house is truly palatial it's very unlikely it would be in any way a feasible venue, added to that there's all sorts of other issues: are your parent(s) really okay with the idea of a large group of adults whom you have never met nor really interacted with going to your house? There's absolutely no way in hell I would allow that if I had children.
Thanks would I be welcome to an event
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Ashton
Thanks would I be welcome to an event
Maybe I could organise an event with someone at a venue near my house (Maybe I could make the Conundrums and count the scores) I could even make Conundrums for a existing event and face time a couple of times in the day, even stay on all day)
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Thank you for been so kind from now on I will think before I post
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Right well congratulations Cathy for beating up on the vulnerable minor; had Ashton actually been a lonely or unwell man in accordance with your theory, and you pushed him over and flexed over him in this way, imagine what a lovely person you would have come across as.

Ashton, dude, just slow down. I appreciate you're young, and you have enthusiasm, but being young means you lack perspective. If you like the whole Countdown event thing, maybe try and get to one, see how you feel. Hosting an event is pretty hard, and it helps an awful lot if people know who you are - right now, no one does. PMing isn't the way to change that. Be a part of the community over time and see how it goes. You might get very bored of it very quickly, who knows, we're all quite dull really.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Mark Deeks wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:09 pm Right well congratulations Cathy for beating up on the vulnerable minor; had Ashton actually been a lonely or unwell man in accordance with your theory, and you pushed him over and flexed over him in this way, imagine what a lovely person you would have come across as.
WTF? Are you serious? Cathy has been more than fair in her responses.

Have you seen the crap he's posted, both here and on the wiki?

Here's an example...

http://wiki.apterous.org/Special:Contri ... Mark_Deeks

I've had no fewer than five messages from him in less than 24 hours, including two sent after I specifically told him not to send me any more.

If he's an 11 year old kid, then his parents need to get a grip on what he's doing online. If he isn't, then frankly it's downright creepy.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Mark Deeks wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:09 pm Right well congratulations Cathy for beating up on the vulnerable minor; had Ashton actually been a lonely or unwell man in accordance with your theory, and you pushed him over and flexed over him in this way, imagine what a lovely person you would have come across as.
While I applaud your obviously genuine attempt to encourage Ashton to turn over a new leaf, I can't agree with this. Try to put yourself in the position of Cathy and others who have received similar messages.

Imagine you're a member of an online community, and one day a complete stranger turns up and sends you repeated and persistent messages trying to badger you into coming to his house. He then continues doing this despite you repeatedly declining and asking him not to message you again. You can see why many people would find this at best annoying, worse creepy, and at worst distressing. The stranger's unverifiable claim to be a child isn't necessarily going to put your mind at rest.

Then you find that blocking a user doesn't stop them sending you private messages (this is really a flaw in phpBB rather than C4C specifically), and those messages continue. At this point posting a public message seems the obvious next step, and I can't see anything in Cathy's post that seems unreasonable in the circumstances. She even acknowledged the possibility that Ashton could be a child or vulnerable adult with appropriate advice included.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

There's only one person coming across as a "lovely person" with your implied tone. Spoiler: it's not Cathy! Unwell people have nothing more than an explanation for behaviour, it should never be an excuse. And even if you disagreed with Cathy, I think it's pretty clear that the intention wasn't malicious, or "flexing" as you nonsensically put it. You've had some ridiculous hot takes before, but this one's right up there.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

This thread has outlived its usefulness.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:00 pmCathy has been more than fair in her responses.
Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pmI can't see anything in Cathy's post that seems unreasonable in the circumstances.
Is it really fair and reasonable to pompously assert that Ashton is either:

1. A very lonely attention-seeker
2. A paedophile
3. Mentally or neurologically challenged
4. An evil deceitful predator?

It's painfully obvious that he is just an over-excited kid who hasn't yet learned how this community works, or Internet etiquette in general. The original post chose to berate him in a lengthly tirade, unloading pent-up anger at a few unsolicited PMs, with a thin veneer of helpful advice that wouldn't be helpful to a member of any of the four pathological categories that were so self-righteously determined. It was completely over-the-top and Mark was right to call out such a post as being, at best, completely unhelpful, and at worst, offensive and detrimental to the future of this community.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Sorry - didn't realise that this was locked and cos I'm Off-Topic Mod I was able to post - I'll unlock in case people want to reply. Feel free to re-lock Ben if you disagree.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

You think?

I don't for one minute believe he's simply an over excited 11 year old, and strongly suspect he's an immature young adult who is deliberately trolling the community.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

People with mental health issues have always been treated with respect here 🤭
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 pmIt's painfully obvious that he is just an over-excited kid who hasn't yet learned how this community works, or Internet etiquette in general.
I don't think I've spoken to anyone in private who shares that view - even those who recognise it as a possibility aren't confident that it's "painfully obvious"

If you have more information that would bring us into the light though, by all means.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Any news on the guy who hacked his account Ben ?
Maybe he is back .
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:00 pm If he's an 11 year old kid, then his parents need to get a grip on what he's doing online.
Maybe so, but that's hardly what this thread was doing. Obviously yes I've seen his posts and obviously I've had PMs. But a heavy-handed "which of these weirdos are you?" approach does not sit right at all.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm At this point posting a public message seems the obvious next step
I agree with this.....
and I can't see anything in Cathy's post that seems unreasonable in the circumstances.
...but not this. You don't think essentially saying I think you might be a paedo is a bit too brusque, considering? If concerns about mental health or nefarious intentions are legitimate, why the berating beforehand?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm You think?

I don't for one minute believe he's simply an over excited 11 year old, and strongly suspect he's an immature young adult who is deliberately trolling the community.
Even if you believe this - I don't, but I have no further information on it than you, so it's just my opinion - surely you can see why I also feel that "I am concerned that you are an adult who is hoping to meet children on this site" might be a weeeeeee bit OTT.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Mark Deeks wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:38 pm
Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm At this point posting a public message seems the obvious next step
I agree with this.....
and I can't see anything in Cathy's post that seems unreasonable in the circumstances.
...but not this. You don't think essentially saying I think you might be a paedo is a bit too brusque, considering? If concerns about mental health or nefarious intentions are legitimate, why the berating beforehand?
There's a difference between saying "I think you are either this, or that, or the other thing" and "I think you are this". Naturally we don't have any easy way to verify who a stranger on an internet forum really is, so the post covered several possibilities. I read it as "if you want to be a part of our group then take part properly and stop posting lies; if you're doing all this for a joke then it's no longer funny; if you're a vulnerable person then get help; and if you're an adult posing as a child then that's really creepy".

The suggestion that Ashton might be an adult posing as a child was presumably in reference to this post in which he claimed he wasn't really a child and had just made that up. This might not be the case, but it's not like it was a wild suggestion out of the blue with no context behind it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Does anybody else miss the posts of Jason Larsen ?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ashton's been quite annoying on this forum (and apparently on the wiki too but I haven't really been there that much) and he's PMed me too about his crazy CO:Brinsworth idea, but:
Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:33 pm
There's a difference between saying "I think you are either this, or that, or the other thing" and "I think you are this". Naturally we don't have any easy way to verify who a stranger on an internet forum really is, so the post covered several possibilities.
I don't think this was a neutral post merely listing the possibilities that could cause this behaviour, and looking at Jono's summary of the possibilities (which I don't think is an unfair summary):
Jon O'Neill wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 pm
Is it really fair and reasonable to pompously assert that Ashton is either:

1. A very lonely attention-seeker
2. A paedophile
3. Mentally or neurologically challenged
4. An evil deceitful predator?
this doesn't exactly exhaust the possibilities, and it really looks for the worst, especially when you look at 2 and 4 which make up 50% of the list and are also very similar-sounding. There's no:

5. You're annoying little kid who enjoys making up crap about games and who doesn't realise that constantly pestering people isn't the best way to get them to help you run an event.

And that's the most realistic of the lot.

Sure, she doesn't say "I think you are this", but given that she's made all her choices pretty much the worst they can be, it's not really any different. There's no good choice on the menu.

I'm not actually sure what most people think really is the case with Ashton if they don't think he actually is an 11-year-old. No adult troll would do this, because ultimately it's too tedious and not funny enough (at all). Whether he's actually specifically 11, he's almost certainly not an adult. The made-up spoilers and recaps were obviously trolling from him, but that doesn't make the entire character of Ashton Hancock a carefully constructed troll. CO-Brinsworth to me just comes across as an unrealistic idea that he wants to fulfill and not itself an act of trolling.

I suppose given that Ashton's posts and actions have annoyed quite a few people on here, Cathy thought it was a fairly safe post and that no-one would question it. But now the discussion has started, yeah it was over the top and the multiple choice options were a bit ridiculous. But I can understand she was annoyed with his behaviour and that's how it came out. Whatever. Let's move on.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 pm ... but that doesn't make the entire character of Ashton Hancock a carefully constructed troll.
Actually, that's exactly what I think he is, and if so, I imagine he's rather enjoying all this.

But whatever the truth, I think we've wasted far too much time and effort on this - if he really is a kid, then with a bit of luck he's learned that telling lies on the internet is not the way to win trust and respect, and inviting strange adults to your house is a very dangerous thing to do.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 pm No adult troll would do this, because ultimately it's too tedious and not funny enough (at all).
Hello and welcome to the Internet.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

It seems possible that he's severely autistic, and just can't understand the impression that his attempts to get in with us are making :(
Cathy Summerside

Hi everyone
I decided yesterday that I’d wait a bit before replying to give me time to reflect on what’s been said.
It’s one of the hazards of online chat with strangers that we’re left guessing what the person behind the message is really like. We’re reliant on what they tell us about themselves in a very different way than if we met them face to face. I felt I needed to send a message to someone who might or might not be aware of the impact of their actions, so I thought I’d try to include some genuine advice. I don’t regret sending a message, but on reflection I shouldn’t have tried to ‘cover all bases’. Having read it again, I can see how it could be seen as heavy-handed, and for that I apologise sincerely.
To most of you I’m a stranger too, so I should have thought about that; you’ve been left guessing about me. So, what’s my motivation? It probably comes from years as a teacher, but I know that, if I’m going to challenge behaviour, I need to be clear about what’s not right and what steps the person can take to sort it out. Usually I know the person very well, but here, I don’t. I wouldn’t try to guess what a student is like before addressing an issue with them. Lesson learned.
Folks, thank you for this forum and for the Co Events, which I’ve enjoyed enormously. If I come up against a similar issue in the future, I’ll run it past one of you first.
Thank you for reading.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Thanks Cathy!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

So where are we on this now?
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

I sympathise for the lot of you deeply, you have all been irritated and harassed. This guy needs to understand the consequences of inviting random people to your home. Have they ever taught you E-Safety at school Ashton?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ronan M Higginson wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:22 pm So where are we on this now?
I think we've all fallen out and the forum is now in ruins.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

yes,I'm sick of this ***** thinking he is the best
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

by the way has anyone seen my signature?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Okay, NOW this thread has outstayed its welcome.