Spoilers for Tuesday 15th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday 15th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 2)

Post by Thomas Carey »

Series 77 semi final grudge match! John Cowen vs delightfully dunkable Bradley Horrocks!!! Everyone relevant said Bradley to do it again, let's see if they're right?
cheers maus
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 15th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 2)

Post by Ray Wilding »

RANNIES in R4.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Thomas Carey wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pmdelightfully dunkable
Incredible phrasing. cheers jen
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

John commiserations, Bradley congratulations. You both played another game brilliantly. But Bradley, your next game could be a rematch against tom. But could be against Matthew. Will be an entertaining game either way! Good luck in your semi along with whoever your facing. Also, not to steal your thunder Bradley but good luck to Tom and Matthew tomorrow.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Second Quarter-Finals Match where I incorrectly predicted Ann would go through (John went through instead) and I correctly predicted Bradley would go through. So, we're lined up for a Series 77 Semi-Finals #2 Rematch, a full 390 days since that happened on Thursday, 21 December 2017.

It was a good start with Bradley having a nice word POEMLETS but he got shaken when John had LEUCOMAS to beat his MALADOS. Hang on, the latter now stumbles with his favourite Maths combination and now the former takes the lead! By the second TTT, with both players on even ground the score was almost similar to the original playing at the same break but it was in Bradley's favour this time. Could this be a foreshadow of what was to come? (Back then, the score was 65 - 68 in John's favour). After the break, John tripped with jowles but Bradley also with airgate... :( With CECIL insanely going easy again (I would say something's wrong at this point by now) in R14 the battle was not over unlike the last time by that point, so it's Crucial Conundrum time. *John buzzes* Is he going to win? *Gasps* That's not it!! Once again, Bradley takes the day and sails through to the Semi-Finals. (P.S. Ironically, my English teacher in my final year of Secondary school was Muslim and I recall now she uses BISMILLAH on Facebook everytime she shares something bad or troubling that happens in her life or if something tragic happens in Malaysia or Indonesia...so much for that. :/)

Twice unlucky John, you were beaten by the same person, but hey if there's any consolation at least you forced the crucial and played much better than last time. (You got both 4 Larges and I personally do not recall you liking that combination!) I'm sorry to see you go, but all I can say is like the original Semi-Finals, you've definitely enjoyed yourself and I certainly have, both in 2017 and in 2019. :) Just like Jonathan, I'm sure you would be cheering on for both Bradley and Tom who has yet to play again. An expertise in "6" Small indeed and deserves my admiration. :) As for Bradley like I mentioned, well done and once again you've grabbed a place in the penultimate episode. I absolutely did not think you were going to go for "4 Large" rather than the anticipated "3 Large" but you survived and definitely as mentioned in the daily chat, you were confident about this.

Oh my, we could potentially have two rematches at this rate for both Semi-Finals. That's provided, if tomorrow, Tom can get past Matthew the Runner-up that's waiting for him...

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion) (105 - 113)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion) (129 - 89)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up) (128 - 104)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 89)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs Philip Aston (Preliminary #8 Winner) (92 - 110)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs Bradley Horrocks (Preliminary #7 Winner) (96 - 99)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Preliminary #6 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Preliminary #5 Winner)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): Philip Aston (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): Bradley Horrocks (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner)
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Very great game from both - Bra victorious yet again! :D

MOUCLADES in r2.

Can honestly say that is the toughest conundrum I think I have ever seen - would not have got that in 100 million years!
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

OREXINS in R4.

Great game once again! Congrats Bra and unlucky John!
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Cerise!!! :shock:
Someone went above and beyond in his efforts to look pretty for CoC today!
Tis no wonder he got molested in the first round... #stunner

That was one of the most exciting ones so far for me... especially each time Rachel pressed CECIL only to reveal another very gettable numbers game. Pure drama! Well played both, and congrats Bradley!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 pm Can honestly say that is the toughest conundrum I think I have ever seen - would not have got that in 100 million years!
I think that one actually is in Ascension -- mind you, I still only got it because I remember setting it myself.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.