What computer games have you been playing lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

What computer games have you been playing lately?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

As requested.
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Re: What computer games have you been playing lately?

Post by Giles »

Witcher 3, To The Moon, Far Cry 4
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mostly Minecraft, I've also been playing Super Mario 64 a lot on my Nvidia Shield console. I play Final Fantasy XIV whenever I get the urge to log on to it, and I'll be getting Rock Band 4 for the Xbox One on Tuesday.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Loving GTA 5 at the moment, since it only recently came out on PC and I paid hard cash for it which is a rarity for me these days. It's absolutely insanely brilliant.

I also played it online earlier this week for what was intended to be a quick ten minutes to see how it worked but ended up about three hours. It was the first time I've played any games online since the original Half Life or Unreal Tournament and it was quite nuts. You can see how easy it is for people to get addicted to online gaming like that. I just found this guy, killed him twice then sent him a text to say I come in peace, found him, picked him up and drove him round the city for five minutes, we went to buy new clothes, did a couple of robberies together, and then lost touch. Still thinking of you, james1220.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't really play many computer games. As I mentioned in the TV show thread, I've played both the Walking Dead games, which were quite good, but this was round a friends house, not because I have these games. He also got me to download Hearthstone, which is basically a card game that you play on your computer.

I have a couple of Android games on my phone, like Hill Climb Racing and FRZ Racing both by Fingersoft. On FRZ Racing I am a world record holder for a couple of the tracks (don't question this - the level of competition is definitely immense). I'm like Steven McCann.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Really want a PS4 to play Bloodborne but just can't afford it at the mo. Still play Dark Souls and Tetris but FIFA probably takes up most of my gaming time. Still on FIFA 14 though. Didn't think it was worth buying a newer version until I get a new console.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:Loving GTA 5 at the moment, since it only recently came out on PC and I paid hard cash for it which is a rarity for me these days. It's absolutely insanely brilliant.
Did I ever tell the story of how I almost worked for DMA Designs (who went on to become Rockstar Games)? I don't generally do regrets - too little time - but I do now genuinely regret not pushing that further when I had the chance. But hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

As for current games, I'm all about emulators of old computers, because I'm an old git living in the past. There's a PC Gamecube emulator which is astonishingly accurate and I've been revisiting things like Pikmin, Mario Kart and so on.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JimBentley wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Loving GTA 5 at the moment, since it only recently came out on PC and I paid hard cash for it which is a rarity for me these days. It's absolutely insanely brilliant.
Did I ever tell the story of how I almost worked for DMA Designs (who went on to become Rockstar Games)?
You did not! And I look forward to hearing it in full at Colin.
JimBentley wrote:As for current games, I'm all about emulators of old computers, because I'm an old git living in the past.
I haven't emulated for a long time but I think I've found a lot of the time that the tense and prolonged effort to find a working emulator and actual ROM for some game I loved as a child has (perhaps unsurprisingly) never been quite justified by the actual playing of said game fifteen or so years down the line. Do you emulate games you used to love or just enjoy playing old games that are new to you?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:...a long time but I think I've found a lot of the time that the tense and prolonged effort to find a working emulator and actual ROM for some game I loved as a child has (perhaps unsurprisingly) never been quite justified by the actual playing of said game fifteen or so years down the line. Do you emulate games you used to love or just enjoy playing old games that are new to you?
I'm so sad that I use a Spectrum emulator to play games that I wrote back in the 1980s, because even with my primitive programming knowledge back then, I still knew that I could do a better (a) pop music mogul simulator (b) software house simulator (c) football predictor, etc., all of which I still use. How's that for geekdom?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:I've found a lot of the time that the tense and prolonged effort to find a working emulator and actual ROM for some game I loved as a child has (perhaps unsurprisingly) never been quite justified by the actual playing of said game fifteen or so years down the line. Do you emulate games you used to love or just enjoy playing old games that are new to you?
If you have an android device try out retroarch, it's a load of emulators rolled into one and works really well. The only hassle to emulate is the original Playstation as you need to load the original BIOS into it, and any Amiga emulator as you need to load both Kickstart AND Workbench into it in order to get it to work. Otherwise, a lot of them you can just download a rom, load it into the emulator and get playing immediately.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:...a long time but I think I've found a lot of the time that the tense and prolonged effort to find a working emulator and actual ROM for some game I loved as a child has (perhaps unsurprisingly) never been quite justified by the actual playing of said game fifteen or so years down the line. Do you emulate games you used to love or just enjoy playing old games that are new to you?
I'm so sad that I use a Spectrum emulator to play games that I wrote back in the 1980s, because even with my primitive programming knowledge back then, I still knew that I could do a better (a) pop music mogul simulator (b) software house simulator (c) football predictor, etc., all of which I still use. How's that for geekdom?
Would these be of interest to anyone else? I was recently scouring World of Spectrum for games that I never played back in the day. Still get annoyed by games that don't allow keyboard control via QAOPsp.

As for what I've been playing recently, apart from Spectrum and Arcade games, F1 2009 and Wii Sports Resort.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JimBentley wrote:software house simulator
The one I used to play was Just Imagine.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:
JimBentley wrote:software house simulator
The one I used to play was Just Imagine.
Weirdly, I have no recollection of that game at all. It looks like a rewrite of Kevin Toms's execrable "Software Star" (his vanity project using the money he made from the original 1982 "Football Manager", incidentally) from 1985 - it's got the same font and layout and everything.

Incentive did a far better job two years earlier (1983) with Millionaire, if you ask me, and that was one of the most stupid games ever (but could be fun). But yeah, mine was miles better than both of them. I'm so modest.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Rocket League.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've played some games on emulators. I completed Auf Wiedersehen Monty on an Amstrad CPC emulator last year having never done so "in real life". I think I mentioned on this forum at the time actually.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

POOL BREAK LITE, an unbelievably addictive free Pool/Snooker Android App. for your smartphone, tablet, etc..
I won't go so far as to claim I'm the best in the world at it, but judging by my stats I would certainly be in the top 5%!
My player name is Dragonfly8, if anyone here fancies their chances of beating me.
Jim, I must be one of the few people that bought Software Star and more to the point, still has it,somewhere in the house!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Jim, I must be one of the few people that bought Software Star and more to the point, still has it,somewhere in the house!
I'm the other one, I think! I remember having to save up for it and being slightly disappointed when I eventually got it. Although in its defence I would say that it was the game that made me realise that commercially-released games were nothing special really - this was the mid-1980s and marketing really defined new games, not reviews or (heaven forfend) quality - and I could do a lot better myself. So, thanks Kevin Toms, you bearded money-grabbing twat, in the long run.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I bought a decently-specced PC earlier this year when replacing my knackered wanktop, with the idea I'd do more gaming. I've got Fallout 4 and it is most enjoyable. I am decidedly terrible at it.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

A game I want to play with other c4capterites is Worms, specifically Worms Armageddon (still the best in the series). It's currently 85% off in the steam sale so if you pick it up, I'll be happy to play a game at any time. Steam username is (predictably) 'nebagram'.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just got a Wii U, so looking forward to Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon being upcoming commerce-fest receipts.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Loving Fallout 4, though not fully into it yet. Jono, we should talk about mods. But basically start checking out http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/ if you haven't already. There are some literal game-changers available.

I rinsed a load of Dying Light last week with a mate. It's absolutely brilliant. Tense, scary, tactical, action-packed, brutal fun.

I tend to have a few games on the go at any one time, despite how long I can sometimes go without playing them. Half way through Wolfenstein The Old Blood, only a few hours into Far Cry 4, similarly with Crysis 3, and not yet started on about another five or six I've got lined up.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just wanted to promote Digitiser2000 the online reboot of the old teletext gaming magazine. Even if you have no interest in video games its still one of the funniest reads on the internet. Mr. Biffo's humor is amazing and it's one of the few places to highlight the ongoing issue of swan/swan attacks so dangerously ignored by the mainstream gaming media.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:Just wanted to promote Digitiser2000 the online reboot of the old teletext gaming magazine. Even if you have no interest in video games its still one of the funniest reads on the internet. Mr. Biffo's humor is amazing and it's one of the few places to highlight the ongoing issue of swan/swan attacks so dangerously ignored by the mainstream gaming media.
Ah cheers Mark, wasn't aware he was back! Mr. Biffo was involved in a lot of the stuff I was into when I first had the internet (about 1996?) Did he not end up doing some kids' TV series on the BBC or something? I'm a bit out of touch.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

He was a writer for kids TV alright. Think he might still be. If you get a chance you should read the articles about his time at teletext, the shit that went on was both hilarious and tragic at the same time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Biffo had this internet forum called the Board of Biffo. One of my friends used to post on it. Anyway, long story short, Biffo turned out to be a monumental dickhead.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Here's another of those list things where they try and determine the best games of all time. Definitive lists like this are almost impossible to compile so I've not an awful lot to complain about. I'd certainly agree that Tetris should be no.1. The biggest complaint would be Mortal Kombat getting in but Street Fighter missing out. Street Fighter is by far the better game. On a personal note I'd have Super Mario World instead of the original Super Mario Bothers and Dark Souls would have to be in there.

Recently finished South Park: Stick of Truth. Thought it was excellent although it was the censored European version. I wish more licensed stuff was this good. Tie-ins to movies and tv shows are usually gack. Still haven't gotten a PS4 yet. Desperate to play Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne but man the price of games is ridiculous. 80 euro a pop is just too steep for me.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Scrabble on the Mind Sports Academy Website...Better than EA sports version......no adverts and I do believe it will soon be an app on Android
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

As a long time Nintendo fan it's distressing to see the state they're in now. I think the latest Switch reveal is the death of them as a console maker. Which might not be a bad thing. I've wanted them to become a third party publisher and get out of the console business for a while. It's still sad to see how badly they've fallen though.

The new Mario and Zelda games look amazing but not enough to justify spending 300 quid on. And stupidly the Mario game isn't even a launch title. Other than the Wii, which tons of people bought and played for like a day until they got sick of waggling, Nintendo consoles that don't launch with a proper Mario game don't do too well. How have they not figured this out.

I also want to make a special mention to the awfulness that is 1-2-Switch. Anyone who thinks that would be fun for more than 5 minutes will be going straight in the people you shouldn't trust thread.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

FIFA 17. That's it.
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'm on my 3rd playthrough of GTA5, this time on PC. I have an obese Steam library that I'll probably never get through in my lifetime, but, you know, the sales... I'm also trying to do replays of Sonic Generations, Final Fantasy X and Skyrim. Then I'll probably attempt a smaller project, like the entire Mass Effect trilogy or Elite Dangerous.

Incidentally, for those of you who have Steam and/or Origin, my username on both is 'nebagram' and I'll happily accept friend requests from any c4cer/apterite on both. And if you do happen to have Origin and a copy of Mass Effect 3, let me know as the multiplayer on there is ridiculously fun. :-D Incidentally, Mass Effect 2 is currently available for free on Origin. Not 'free with a subscription' or 'free for a limited time', but 'you can register an account now, download the game and never buy another thing off of Origin until the end of time' free. And it's bloody good too.

Oh, and I'm playing lots of Minecraft as well.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Perpetually part way through: Fallout 4, Dying Light, Alan Wake, DiRT Rally, Far Cry 4, Wolfenstein The Old Blood, Crysis 3, Call of Duty Black Ops III.
Perpetually impending: Doom, BioShock Infinite, Firewatch, Dead Space 3, Fez, and a ton of other Steam games.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I want to get hold of whatever version of Wipeout is on PS3.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ian Volante wrote:I want to get hold of whatever version of Wipeout is on PS3.
Wipeout HD (might be called Wipeout HD fury) and you should be able to download it from the PSN store. It's a mash-up of the two PSP Wipeout games and from what I played, really quite good. Not quite up to the highs the series reached with 2097 but well worth a play.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Wipeout HD (might be called Wipeout HD fury) and you should be able to download it from the PSN store. It's a mash-up of the two PSP Wipeout games and from what I played, really quite good. Not quite up to the highs the series reached with 2097 but well worth a play.
Sounds good. Then again, I never enjoyed 2097 quite as much as the original.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ian Volante wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
Sounds good. Then again, I never enjoyed 2097 quite as much as the original.
non-gamer here. Wipeout HD is amazing.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Installed an emulator just so I could play this absolute gem from the past:

Once I remembered how to play it, I completed the game fairly quickly, but STILL. Everything about it brings back really happy nostalgic memories of playing it on my grandparents' Windows 95 machine <3

Next stop:

"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Installed an emulator just so I could play this absolute gem from the past:

Once I remembered how to play it, I completed the game fairly quickly, but STILL. Everything about it brings back really happy nostalgic memories of playing it on my grandparents' Windows 95 machine <3

Next stop:

What platform?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

There was something about the controls of wipeout hd that I can't put my finger on and that ruined my enjoyment of it. It was like they weren't as tight as the original or something. The original was rock hard though mainly thanks to the controls but ever since Dark Souls I now prefer that old school difficulty in games. The original is available for ps3 on the store.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Ian Volante wrote:What platform?
PC.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:36 pm
Ian Volante wrote:What platform?
PC.
lol, the second image hadn't appeared when I asked that question...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Played a game called Plug & Play on Steam today. Definitely one of the more surreal experiences I've ever had, and here's a genuine screenshot from the game that should go some of the way toward explaining why. The game is only about 10-15 minutes in total length, but at £1.99 isn't too bad value considering what's, umm, packed into those minutes.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The Submachine series has been my anti-depressant during a week when I've received bad exam grades.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark James wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:50 pm There was something about the controls of wipeout hd that I can't put my finger on and that ruined my enjoyment of it. It was like they weren't as tight as the original or something. The original was rock hard though mainly thanks to the controls but ever since Dark Souls I now prefer that old school difficulty in games. The original is available for ps3 on the store.
The annoying thing with that is the inability to transfer my records from the PS1 if I was to download it. At least a couple of my lap records are world-standard. Probably easier if I just play the original now I've already set up the PS2 in the spare room.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Had a dream last night where I was playing some sort of Dark Soulsy type game and Lord Buckethead's costume was available as DLC. If someone doesn't get on to this it will be a massively missed opportunity. Fingers crossed someone in the modding community at least will do it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Finally got a PS4. Have only played Fall Guys so far but it's great.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Does Scrabble Go count ?
During my furlough period I averaged a dozen games a day
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

F1 2020 with one of my nephews who has just got the game. Also Gran Turismo Sport.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:01 pm Does Scrabble Go count ?
I saw this and thought of you.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:42 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:01 pm Does Scrabble Go count ?
I saw this and thought of you.
How thoughtful 🤐🤐🤐
Fwiw I was instrumental in getting the chat facility to be switched off having had several American veterans in Afghanistan asking for money , access to WhatsApp , Facebook , Email etc.
I had quite a few female Scrabble friends complaining about being harassed.
Scopely asked players to fill in a survey for feedback and I encouraged people to reply as although they are trying to elicit money from players for extras , they do listen to feedback
I only chat to people I actually know.
The interesting thing is these scammers / perverts have a very good Scrabble knowledge although anagram solvers are easy to access
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Strange, nobody's spoken to me at all apart from a small amount of relevant in-game chat. What am I doing differently?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:20 pm I had quite a few female Scrabble friends complaining about being harassed.
Ian Volante wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:41 pm Strange, nobody's spoken to me at all apart from a small amount of relevant in-game chat. What am I doing differently?
Emphasis mine.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:42 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:20 pm I had quite a few female Scrabble friends complaining about being harassed.
Ian Volante wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:41 pm Strange, nobody's spoken to me at all apart from a small amount of relevant in-game chat. What am I doing differently?
Emphasis mine.
I was referring to this:
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:20 pm Fwiw I was instrumental in getting the chat facility to be switched off having had several American veterans in Afghanistan asking for money , access to WhatsApp , Facebook , Email etc."
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just wanted to say the season 4 update for Fall Guys is fantastic.

On another note does anyone here play Amomg Us? Would anyone be interested in getting a C4 Countdown group game going?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mark James wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 am Just wanted to say the season 4 update for Fall Guys is fantastic.

On another note does anyone here play Amomg Us? Would anyone be interested in getting a C4 Countdown group game going?
I've not played it as I have a very rigid policy of not playing multiplayer games with strangers, but I'd be up for this if we could get enough people on board.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark James wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 am Just wanted to say the season 4 update for Fall Guys is fantastic.

Wouldn't mind a game.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

OMG what a treat was it to have it download today. Love this game - we play it together and even our 5 year old has a go :) Gunna be a while before I can get my head round some of the new obstacles. The best we have done is 2nd by a fraction of a second (both us and #1 were falling to our death on Hex-a-gone however we hit the slime first). Have you ever managed to actually win a campaign?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Ben Wilson wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:54 pm

I've not played it as I have a very rigid policy of not playing multiplayer games with strangers, but I'd be up for this if we could get enough people on board.
I'm in for this. I've played with a few different groups of friends and it's pretty fun, but I agree that doing it with strangers is shite
cheers maus
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 pm
Ben Wilson wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:54 pm

I'm in for this. I've played with a few different groups of friends and it's pretty fun, but I agree that doing it with strangers is shite
maus sus

But yeah I enjoy it too.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Who plays on PC? FG is not cross-platform is it? I have Ben on my Steam list but I'm sure when I asked Mark before he was PlayStation.

But in principle, it'd be fantastic, particularly as I'm finding Squads to be a fucking nightmare in general. I don't want to look down on weaker players but qualifying early and then having to watch that one teammate make a total hash of things as your squad declines in rank is a special kind of frustration. I even managed to finish 1st or 2nd in one round and still got eliminated.

Not had lots of practice but definitely finding the S4 games considerably tougher than the S3 ones were to pick up. Only had Hoverboard Heroes once and fell off on a weird bit that I am not sure I was supposed to be able to reach. Need more practice. Power Trip is an absolutely shit squad final, by the way. Had it twice and watched once and whichever team is ahead after ten seconds wins consistently. It's an ok team game with larger squads but there isn't enough chance for things to change as a final.