Countdown in King's Lynn (Co:KL) - Saturday 28th May

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Mike Brown
Legend

Countdown in King's Lynn (Co:KL) - Saturday 28th May

Post by Mike Brown »

Hi all,

It's finally time for me to announce the second Countdown in King's Lynn (or Co:KL for short), which will be the fourth tournament in the FOCAL
calendar (or the fifth if you count COLIN as two).

For those of you who are still not aware, King's Lynn is a town on the Wash in the west of Norfolk and happens to be the birthplace of Roger Taylor from Queen (and Dr Robert from the Blow Monkeys grew up here if you want a more obscure musical reference).

This year's event is taking place on Saturday 28th of May (i.e. the bank holiday weekend) and like last year will be a Lincoln-style tournament, with everyone playing six 9-round games followed (not quite like Lincoln) by a 15-round grand final for the top two players at the end of the day. ODO will be the official arbiter for word disputes, unless there's no access to the Internet on the day, in which case we may have to resort to a copy of the Apterous dictionary or - shock, horror - a book!

This time around, proceedings will take place on the top floor of Thoresby College (aka The Great Hall) on the South Quay. We will have access to a kitchen on the ground floor so I'm likely to be providing free tea and coffee on the day (as well as soft drinks for the caffeine-haters, I expect!) and for those that enjoyed lunch at Marriott's Warehouse last year, it's only a few yards down the road. We will also only be a few minutes' walk from the town centre for anyone who wants to go and buy lunch or just wants to indulge in a spot of retail therapy.

Unfortunately, the car parking at the venue is not for use (it's reserved for residents), but there is reasonably priced car parking nearby. For lovers of nicotine, please note there is no smoking anywhere on the premises (including the courtyard and car park). More details of the building and its facilities can be found at http://www.klprestrust.org.uk. The postcode for the college is PE30 1HX, but be warned the postal address is not the same as the entrance to the hall, which can be found on the quay (west) side the building.

King's Lynn has a very good rail service to London (taking around 100 minutes) and a reasonable rail service to other parts of the country (if you don't mind changing at Ely and admiring the cathedral while you wait for the connectoon). If you're thinking of coming by rail, but not via Cambridge or London, it might be worth investigating travelling to Peterborough and then bussing it to King's Lynn (service X1) as the journey time may be shorter and may also cost you less if booking advance tickets - PM me if you need further details, or perhaps speak to James, who did just that last year on his pilgrimage from Huddersfield.

Perhaps surprisingly for what most consider a rural backwater, the road network does reach King's Lynn and is served by the A10, A17 and A47, although if you're expecting to see a motorway, you'll have a long (and possibly infinite) wait!

There are various hotels locally, including the Premier Inn (favoured by most last year, despite it being on the outskirts of town), as well as a number of B&B's and guest houses. Despite what I said last year, the Travelodge is yet to open in King's Lynn (the site has been earmarked, but that's as far as it's got at the moment - the nearest one is currently in Long Sutton, which is several miles to the west - in another county!).

There are lots of places to eat in the evening including two Wetherspoon's (one of which you can even stay in overnight, as evidenced by Heather last year). The recently refurbished Maid's Head on the market place) became the Friday pub at last year's event and does hearty portions for hungry travellers as well as live music on certain nights of the week.

I can also recommend the local area if you fancy staying for a day or two afterwards. The Norfolk coast is outstanding (and so say all the London second-homers who frequent Burnham Market), especially if you enjoy seeing wildlife or strolling along windswept beaches. It's also not far from Sandringham House, which has some lovely woods which are free to stroll around - you can even see the sea! (Well, the Wash anyway, if that counts).

The entrance fee for the day will be £12 (apologies for the slight increase) and you can pay me by PayPal in the usual way at mike@mjbrown.demon.co.uk. Those of you who would prefer to pay by cheque can do so by sending me a PM and I'll then let you know my snail-mail
address.

The timetable for the day is likely to be the same as last year, which is as follows:

10.30 Doors open
11.15 Welcome / Round 1 Draw announced.
11.30 Round 1
12.50 Lunch
13.50 Round 2
15.10 Break
15.25 Round 3
16.45 Break
17.05 Grand Final (15 rounds)
17.30 Prizegiving
18.00 End / down the pub!

I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Mike.

CONFIRMED ENTRANTS:

1 James Robinson
2 Heather Styles
3 Phyl Styles
4 Alan Styles
5 Jeff Clayton
6 Graeme Cole
7 Toby Pereira
8 Stephen Read
9 Jonathan Wynn
10 Stewart Gordon
11 Matty Artell
12 Callum Todd
13 Rob Foster
and Mike Brown
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in King's Lynn (Co:KL) - Saturday 28th May

Post by James Robinson »

In. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Probably.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Interested in this one, but trying to work out a way of getting there on time. Train gets me there from Kidderminster at 11:21 - might do it with a drive to Nuneaton first though which would get me there an hour earlier... will wait until advance tickets become available before confirming though
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

In, please, Mike.

I've got what I hope is a good deal on a room at the Tudor Rose Hotel http://www.thetudorrosehotel.co.uk/.

The Wetherspoons hotel where I stayed last year was nice http://www.jdwetherspoon.com/hotels/eng ... lobe-hotel
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Likely to be in for this one I reckon. How are we doing for players so far out of interest?
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Hi - is anyone interested in a meal in King's Lynn on the Friday evening, possibly here http://www.themaidsheadkingslynn.com/ or at the Wetherspoons?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Heather Styles wrote:Hi - is anyone interested in a meal in King's Lynn on the Friday evening, possibly here http://www.themaidsheadkingslynn.com/ or at the Wetherspoons?
Definitely, I'll be there late afternoon/early evening, so have plenty of time to kill on Friday. ;) :) :D
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Hi all, just a quick update. Now got the prizes bought and the trophies on order (picture coming soon!) - all we need now are more players! So far, there are only five confirmed players (James, Heather, Phyl, Alan and Jeff) and I expect I'll be playing, which makes six, but hopefully we can muster a few more before the day! Go on, treat yourselves to a trip to sunny Norfolk!
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Very likely to be in for this I think-anyone staying for the Saturday night? Will probs try and book the Wetherspoon's(who knows-maybe even successfully this time :)? Is it the default pub?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jonathan Wynn wrote:Very likely to be in for this I think-anyone staying for the Saturday night? Will probs try and book the Wetherspoon's(who knows-maybe even successfully this time :)? Is it the default pub?
Looks likely that it's the default. I'm staying for Saturday too. I hope you've got your dates right this time. ;) :) :D
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Jonathan Wynn wrote:Very likely to be in for this I think-anyone staying for the Saturday night? Will probs try and book the Wetherspoon's(who knows-maybe even successfully this time :)? Is it the default pub?
Would be great to have you along, Jonathan. :)
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

I have to get back to London on the Saturday night, but hope to have time for something to eat/drink first. Last year, Wetherspoons was the standard method pub.

FAO Gavin Chipper and other parkrunners: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/kingslynn/
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

In and paid.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Heather Styles wrote:I have to get back to London on the Saturday night, but hope to have time for something to eat/drink first. Last year, Wetherspoons was the standard method pub.

I did that parkrun last year as well. Wasn't there another pub that people went to on the Friday that had massive puddings?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Heather Styles wrote:I have to get back to London on the Saturday night, but hope to have time for something to eat/drink first. Last year, Wetherspoons was the standard method pub.

I did that parkrun last year as well. Wasn't there another pub that people went to on the Friday that had massive puddings?
Yeah, The Maid's Head or something like that, I think.... :P

Whichever suits everyone will do for me. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm definitely coming to this now. Not sure where I'm staying yet though. I want to go to the parkrun but I also quite like the all-you-can-eat breakfast at the Premier Inn, but it's far away.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Graeme Cole wrote:In and paid.
Excellent news. :)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm definitely coming to this now. Not sure where I'm staying yet though. I want to go to the parkrun but I also quite like the all-you-can-eat breakfast at the Premier Inn, but it's far away.
Great stuff. If you fancy Parkrun, i guess 'Spoons is a good bet or maybe Russett House, where Jayne stayed last year IIRC.
Stephen R
Series 76 Champion

Post by Stephen R »

I'm in for this one, just paid up.

I'll be coming down on the Friday and making a weekend of it. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mike Brown wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm definitely coming to this now. Not sure where I'm staying yet though. I want to go to the parkrun but I also quite like the all-you-can-eat breakfast at the Premier Inn, but it's far away.
Great stuff. If you fancy Parkrun, i guess 'Spoons is a good bet or maybe Russett House, where Jayne stayed last year IIRC.
I'm now officially staying at the Globe/Wetherspoons.
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

In and paid :)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

We're now in double figures, which is nice - but can we get higher by the end of the week? Conundrums now prepared, picking up trophies early next week, cakes hopefully being baked on Friday! Went to see the venue on Friday for a quick recce - getting excited now. Thanks to all those who have already entered and hope to see a few more of you there!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Now up to 11. :) Anyone want to make it twelve? (Is there a 'hopeful' emoji?)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mike Brown wrote:Now up to 11. :) Anyone want to make it twelve? (Is there a 'hopeful' emoji?)
Is there a list of confirmed entries?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Now up to 12. Entrants (about to be) added to the first post.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Prizes for this weekend... form an orderly queue!

Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

For anyone who wants to meet up tomorrow (Friday) evening, we're planning to be at this Wetherspoons https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/hotels/en ... lobe-hotel from about 7pm. If you can't find us there, we'll (probably) be at the Maids Head http://www.themaidsheadkingslynn.com/
Robert Foster
Rookie

Post by Robert Foster »

Paid up, see you there :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Heather Styles wrote:FAO Gavin Chipper and other parkrunners: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/kingslynn/
I'm definitely doing this by the way, and the more the merrier!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Robert Foster wrote:Paid up, see you there :)
Great news, Rob. Good to have both of last year's finalists back for a second time! :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've just bought my train ticket to King's Lynn and I had to select "via Cambridge" or "not via London". Well I'm not not going via London so I suppose I'm going via Cambridge, but it's not as if I've learnt all the stops on the way is it? And the contrasting negative/positive answers are absurd. Who designed this shit?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why am I watching Look North in my hotel room? Shouldn't King's Lynn be Look East territory?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Updates from the tournament being posted on the FOCAL Twitter. Have a gander.

I also hope that Gev's last post proves once and for all that King's Lynn is in the north, and therefore that Yorkshire people are wrong when they pretend that Sheffield is the north/south divide.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Cheers for organising this event once again, Mike.

Here are all the results...

Standings before the final:

Code: Select all

P   W  Pts
  1 Callum Todd       6   5  394 
  2 Stephen Read      6   5  370 
  3 James Robinson    6   4  391 
  4 Rob Foster        6   4  386 
  5 Ollie Garner      6   4  333 
  6 Graeme Cole       6   4  329 
  7 Mike Brown        6   4  302 
  8 Jeff Clayton      6   3  311 
  9 Jonathan Wynn     6   3  303 
 10 Gevin Chapwell    6   3  277 
 11 Matty Artell      6   2  311 
 12 Heather Styles    6   2  297 
 13 Phyl Styles       6   1  281 
 14 Alan Styles       6   1  214 
 15 Stewart Gordon    6   0  271 
Round 1

Table 1
    Rob Foster  54 - 64  Jonathan Wynn
 Jonathan Wynn  39 - 62  Callum Todd
   Callum Todd  64 - 60  Rob Foster

Table 2
   Graeme Cole  59*- 49  Stephen Read
  Stephen Read  72 - 33  Gevin Chapwell
Gevin Chapwell  43 - 47  Graeme Cole

Table 3
   Phyl Styles  61 - 36  Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon  39 - 69  Ollie Garner
  Ollie Garner  49 - 47  Phyl Styles

Table 4
    Mike Brown  50 - 33  Alan Styles
   Alan Styles  44 - 67  Jeff Clayton
  Jeff Clayton  47 - 36  Mike Brown

Table 5
Heather Styles  61 - 51  Matty Artell
  Matty Artell  53 - 70  James Robinson
James Robinson  69 - 53  Heather Styles
Round 2

Table 1
   Callum Todd  71 - 33  Ollie Garner
  Ollie Garner  60 - 70  James Robinson
James Robinson  54 - 62  Callum Todd

Table 2
   Graeme Cole  62 - 47  Heather Styles
Heather Styles  55 - 38  Jeff Clayton
  Jeff Clayton  48 - 63  Graeme Cole

Table 3
   Phyl Styles  50 - 61  Jonathan Wynn
 Jonathan Wynn  42 - 50  Stephen Read
  Stephen Read  64 - 47  Phyl Styles

Table 4
    Rob Foster  53 - 44  Matty Artell
  Matty Artell  42 - 53  Mike Brown
    Mike Brown  50 - 72  Rob Foster

Table 5
Gevin Chapwell  44 - 43  Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon  56 - 60  Alan Styles
   Alan Styles  31 - 45  Gevin Chapwell 
Round 3

Table 1
James Robinson  66 - 84  Rob Foster
    Rob Foster  63 - 56  Graeme Cole
   Graeme Cole  52 - 62  James Robinson

Table 2
  Stephen Read  63 - 37  Heather Styles
Heather Styles  44 - 67  Callum Todd
   Callum Todd  68 - 72  Stephen Read

Table 3
 Jonathan Wynn  62 - 26  Alan Styles
   Alan Styles  20 - 71  Ollie Garner
  Ollie Garner  51 - 35  Jonathan Wynn

Table 4
Gevin Chapwell  68 - 45  Phyl Styles
   Phyl Styles  31 - 65  Mike Brown
    Mike Brown  48 - 44  Gevin Chapwell 

Table 5
  Matty Artell  66 - 45  Stewart Gordon
Stewart Gordon  52 - 65  Jeff Clayton
  Jeff Clayton  46 - 55  Matty Artell
In the final, Stephen Read beat Callum Todd 99-89 after a tiebreak.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thank you Mike for running this again. An excellent tournament that deserves more attendees! I suppose people from the north think it's in the south and people from the south think it's in the north so no-one claims it as a local event!

And after a shaky start to the day (finishing 181st in the parkrun), congratulations to Stephen Read for winning the tournament after some excellent play all day. But also commiserations, because after such a performance, you'll only get the same number of FOCAL points as James Wilson did for coming 32nd at COLIN! A word from Corby.
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc7a4aXr4hI

A video recap of the last few rounds of the final - not to be missed!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matty Artell wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc7a4aXr4hI

A video recap of the last few rounds of the final - not to be missed!
Nice video.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Thanks again, Mike, for a very enjoyable tourney in a good venue. Well done to the successful players and park runners. Someone left behind a black pen which I picked up and will reunite with its owner at the earliest opportunity e.g. at a future FOCAL event :)