Spoilers for Monday 27th October

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Monday 27th October

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st number game: (50 + 4 - 1) x 6
John Douglas
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Monday 27th October

Post by John Douglas »

R7 : MATTING for 7 as an equaller?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

CONCEPTS for an equaller :)
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

3rd numbers game alt:

(100 x 4) + (8 x 2) was given by one contestant.
(100 + 4) x (8 / 2) is also possible - the numbers kept in place, but with differing signs - quite neat
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't normally do that brilliantly but I got 128 today and if I'd seen ANODISERS it would have been 139. That and EELWORM were the only times DC beat me.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I was sitting in the audience for this game and got both nines and almost everything else. Was seriously annoyed that I'd missed out on playing in it.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I see that NODE doesn't actually list FANNY as a verb except in the phrase 'fanny around' - I think that single words from expressions aren't usually allowed. However I can understand why Susie didn't show us the entry on the pencam. :lol:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

PeterMabey wrote:I see that NODE doesn't actually list FANNY as a verb except in the phrase 'fanny around' - I think that single words from expressions aren't usually allowed. However I can understand why Susie didn't show us the entry on the pencam. :lol:

:D

**[afterthought]I think they allow FANNIED though, too, maybe it is listed as a verb in the ODE (2nd EDITION revised).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Yet again a bad bit of continuity editing was hard. DC mentioned ANODISERS for 9 then during the break you see SARDINES on the board behind Carol. They've done this a few times recently.

Anyway OPENCAST for an equaller in round 12. I was pleased with ANTHESIS in round 13 and then got shot in the groin when DC declared 9 and then I spotted the nine. Serves me right for being a smug git.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kirk Bevins wrote:Yet again a bad bit of continuity editing was hard. DC mentioned ANODISERS for 9 then during the break you see SARDINES on the board behind Carol. They've done this a few times recently.

Anyway OPENCAST for an equaller in round 12. I was pleased with ANTHESIS in round 13 and then got shot in the groin when DC declared 9 and then I spotted the nine. Serves me right for being a smug git.
I had ANTHESIS as a smug anagram of SHANTIES too but still scanned the -INESS endings just in case. It has to be said though, Kirkie, we are rather lazy bar stewards once we get a decent word.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Agreed. I saw SHANTIES and retired to my rice pudding! You'd think I'd learn from my mistakes after doing the same thing a few weeks ago with SHANDIES when another S appeared!

Dinos

Very happy cause he's landed a job working with Emma at the movies :D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

David O'Donnell wrote:
PeterMabey wrote:I see that NODE doesn't actually list FANNY as a verb except in the phrase 'fanny around' - I think that single words from expressions aren't usually allowed. However I can understand why Susie didn't show us the entry on the pencam. :lol:

:D

**[afterthought]I think they allow FANNIED though, too, maybe it is listed as a verb in the ODE (2nd EDITION revised).
It is, and all the derivations (FANNIES, FANNYING etc) are specified just to remove any doubt. :)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Charlie Reams wrote:I was sitting in the audience for this game and got both nines and almost everything else. Was seriously annoyed that I'd missed out on playing in it.
That must have been so frustrating for you to see those 2 nines. You could have had a record score with those, and the feeling of elation for getting even one nine must be wonderful, so 2 would have been even better. I hope you get the same chance in the finals. I'll be watching that's for sure. Good luck Charlie. I got MATTING but not much else.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

If my memory serves youc an do the sexy no large thing for one of the numbers by doing (9*6)-2 = 52, then 52*8 = 416. Missed ANODISERS, but got HASTINESS, which is good enough for me. Can't remember anything else, although I also noticed the SARDINES continuity error, shocking stuff, we should totally all write in and complain, ideally in song format.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote: Very happy cause he's landed a job working with Emma at the movies :D
Congratulations Dinos. That has to be better than working at the Disney Store surely!!!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Michael Wallace wrote: Can't remember anything else, although I also noticed the SARDINES continuity error, shocking stuff, we should totally all write in and complain, ideally in song format.
Perhaps Jason Larsen could come up with some lyrics?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Yet again a bad bit of continuity editing was hard. DC mentioned ANODISERS for 9 then during the break you see SARDINES on the board behind Carol. They've done this a few times recently.

Its because we don't always get all the board shots in 'real time'. ANODISERS would have been put up at the end of the recording then inserted into the show as a 'drop-in' edit. We have to do these at the end otherwise the flow of the game is affected by constantly waiting for Carol to put winning words up and then holding them for 4 seconds while she stands at the board. Seeing 'sardines' later in the show is a small price to pay for slowing the whole process down. It's not bad editing Kirk. We have a choice to make. Either we don't put up the winning word at all unless we get it in real time, or we do it later and tiny pieces fail to match up, ie seeing sardines on the board during the break. We have a saying at work that "if they notice that, we've lost them". I don't believe any other viewer has commented on it, so it's pretty trivial from our end.

That said, i personally am not a big fan of the board shots and i think in 09 we'll limit them to impressive words only and not just put them up for the sake of it. Those who are hard of hearing have subtitles, and those who are not hard of hearing can listen to the game and hear the winning words anway. It seems pretty pointless having Carol stand there next to something like APPLES for 6, when we've all picked up on it already, plus the pencam tends to cover most obscurities anyway, so the word is seen on-screen that way.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Damian E wrote:
We have a saying at work that "if they notice that, we've lost them". I don't believe any other viewer has commented on it, so it's pretty trivial from our end.
Good point - i'm just being like a film critic. It doesn't make the programme any less exciting but I like to spot these things.