People you shouldn't trust

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by JimBentley »

Also:

- Men with plastic hair like Ken dolls
- Anyone whose skin colour appears to be any of 138,166, 173 or 1655 on the Pantone system
- Fake sheikhs
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who share a birthday with Jeff Gordon.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

People who won't commit themselves to an exact frequency of blog posts, but say they're intending to post at least one a week on average, but then don't, and then they don't apologise for misleading their loyal reader.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who share a birthday with Jeff Gordon.
YOU LEAVE MY AUNTY ALONE :(
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

[quote="Ian Volante"][quote="James S Roper"][quote="Ian Volante"][quote="James S Roper"]

You've offended a fair few on here already Dave, so let's not take this any further. Mkay?

Really? I thought we'd got vaguely thick-skinned around here. Not to mention being a bunch of godless heathens.

That's true, however religion's always going to be something people stand for, being that it's a belief in something higher than all of us. Of course there's no issue in being an atheist, however saying that someone's stupid and not to be trusted for believing in one's completely disrespectful and removing of somebody's rights. I'm not asking for an argument/debate/spam thread but being a Christian I'm prepared to stand up for what I believe in.

You spoke for lots of people in your earlier comment, much better to speak for yourself, and let everyone else speak up if they want to I reckon. And nobody said anything about people being stupid! (Unless I missed it)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add to my list of people you shouldn't trust: James S Roper for being as thick as shit! Oh... AND anyone who isn't an Atheist... PLUS, anyone without thick skin!
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Forum trolls.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:People who won't commit themselves to an exact frequency of blog posts, but say they're intending to post at least one a week on average, but then don't, and then they don't apologise for misleading their loyal reader.
It is terrible. I'm sure it will be addressed shortly (by whoever you're talking about).
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People who say 'no pun intended' when they absofreakinglutely intended it, to the point that they only said what they said so that they could get the pun in. Own your stupidity.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

In the same vein, people who habitually add things like "Just saying" or "Just putting that out there" immediately after saying something. Clearly they know that what they're saying is at least somewhat contentious, and if they're that afraid of people reacting badly then they should just not say it in the first place.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People who stand up to urinate. Especially women.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Sean Fletcher
Acolyte

Post by Sean Fletcher »

People who wear sunglasses inside to look 'cool'.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

People who wear condoms to keep the rain off.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Further to Innis's contribution, people who start sentences with "No offence, but..." Offence is surely always intended, or why say it?

See also "You know your problem -"
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Innis Carson wrote:In the same vein, people who habitually add things like "Just saying" or "Just putting that out there" immediately after saying something. Clearly they know that what they're saying is at least somewhat contentious, and if they're that afraid of people reacting badly then they should just not say it in the first place.
JimBentley wrote:Further to Innis's contribution, people who start sentences with "No offence, but..." Offence is surely always intended, or why say it?

See also "You know your problem -"
I'm not sure I entirely agree with all of this. Sometimes stuff needs to be said and it's awkward to say it, so you naturally start umming and ahhing about it. I'm not saying I condone those specific phrases but some "padding" might get said. And being uncomfortable saying it doesn't mean you shouldn't say it.

No offence, but you're both cunts.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Oh of course, everyone fumbles sometimes when speaking off the cuff. Those two phrases I highlighted (along with "No offence but") are things that you quite often see people very deliberately say though, often in typed messages, as though it's going to actually make what they're saying any less controversial/awkward/offensive and exempt them from any kind of backlash. Maybe you're lucky enough not to have witnessed this.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

JimBentley wrote: See also "You know your problem -"
I hate when people say, "You know what you're problem is".

As If I've only the one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Innis Carson wrote:Oh of course, everyone fumbles sometimes when speaking off the cuff. Those two phrases I highlighted (along with "No offence but") are things that you quite often see people very deliberately say though, often in typed messages, as though it's going to actually make what they're saying any less controversial/awkward/offensive and exempt them from any kind of backlash. Maybe you're lucky enough not to have witnessed this.
Yeah, I suppose the bit I mainly disagreed with was "and if they're that afraid of people reacting badly then they should just not say it in the first place." rather than the actual sayings.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who think it's necessary to scream before they sneeze. It adds nothing. It's just a bad habit.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

This is just "people I don't care much for", right? (cue "people who question the thread" when I resisted saying "people who take the thread off at tangents")
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

People who are under the impression that when driving a powerful car, an appropriate stopping distance at 70mph is about two feet. I've not tested this but I'm pretty sure you'd need a bit more room than that.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:This is just "people I don't care much for", right? (cue "people who question the thread" when I resisted saying "people who take the thread off at tangents")
Yeah, the "trust" thing doesn't need to be taken literally. I think I can trust you to use this thread responsibly.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

The England football team?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Platt wrote:The England football team?
Indeed, they might still get out of the group and mess up my predictions...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who use the spelling FOCUSSED.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

WHy did you put it in capitals then?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:WHy did you put it in capitals then?
Anger caps.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

People who drink fizzy drinks when travelling or playing sport instead of water.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who use the -ed past tense instead of the -t version - e.g. LEARNED instead of LEARNT, DREAMED instead of DREAMT, SPELLED instead of SPELT etc.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

TEXTT
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who use the -ed past tense instead of the -t version - e.g. LEARNED instead of LEARNT, DREAMED instead of DREAMT, SPELLED instead of SPELT etc.
That's just an American vs. British spelling thing though, isn't it? It's normal in America to use the -ED ending and it's normal here to use the -T ending.

Or do you just mean British people who use the -ED ending? Do you think they want to be American because they write it like that? Does it matter if they do? I'm not even sure I'd parse the difference unless I was looking for it anyway.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who use the -ed past tense instead of the -t version - e.g. LEARNED instead of LEARNT, DREAMED instead of DREAMT, SPELLED instead of SPELT etc.
You've earned this one!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
That's just an American vs. British spelling thing though, isn't it? It's normal in America to use the -ED ending and it's normal here to use the -T ending.

Or do you just mean British people who use the -ED ending? Do you think they want to be American because they write it like that? Does it matter if they do? I'm not even sure I'd parse the difference unless I was looking for it anyway.
Yeah when British people say it. It just sounds wrong! And it matters!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who do the "ice bucket challenge".
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who do the "ice bucket challenge".
I concur. If anybody is unwise enough to nominate me for this, I will be forced to burn their house down.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The thing that annoys me about the ice bucket challenge is the whole "you have 24 hours" thing. What's supposed to happen if I don't do it? I wouldn't mind doing it, the cold doesn't bother me, I have cold showers all the time, but I'm less likely to do something if it involves some sort of vague threat. It's like people who post stuff on facebook that says stuff like "wonder how many people have the balls to re-post this". It's one way to guarantee that I will not re-post it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who think they're being really clever by saying "sabre-tooth cat" instead of "sabre-tooth" tiger. Get over yourselves - they're sabre-tooth tigers.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

How do I point out it's "toothed" not "tooth" whilst ensuring I piss you off Gevin?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:How do I point out it's "toothed" not "tooth" whilst ensuring I piss you off Gevin?
It can be either.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People who think they're being really clever by saying "sabre-tooth cat" instead of "sabre-tooth" tiger. Get over yourselves - they're sabre-tooth tigers.
The sabre-toothed tiger (smilodon) is the most recent of a number of species of sabre-toothed cats that have existed from time to time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:People who think they're being really clever by saying "sabre-tooth cat" instead of "sabre-tooth" tiger. Get over yourselves - they're sabre-tooth tigers.
The sabre-toothed tiger (smilodon) is the most recent of a number of species of sabre-toothed cats that have existed from time to time.
The thing is that people say they're not sabre-toothed tigers but sabre-toothed cats because they're not actually tigers. Well:

1. Killer whales aren't whales, but that's their name.

2. Are they really even cats? The "official" family name is Felidae but we informally call them cats, because cats are the most familiar animal to most of us in this family. That's why actual cats don't have another name - because it's not really a family name. If, for example, I ran a tiger sanctuary, tigers would be the most familiar animal to me in this family, so I might call it the tiger family - the family that has tigers in. Obviously someone might then argue that calling them the cat family has become common usage so that's now its meaning, but that does nothing here because I can call sabre-toothed tigers "sabre-toothed tigers" for that very reason!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:
The thing is that people say they're not sabre-toothed tigers but sabre-toothed cats because they're not actually tigers. Well:

2. Are they really even cats? The "official" family name is Felidae but we informally call them cats, because cats are the most familiar animal to most of us in this family. That's why actual cats don't have another name - because it's not really a family name. If, for example, I ran a tiger sanctuary, tigers would be the most familiar animal to me in this family, so I might call it the tiger family - the family that has tigers in. Obviously someone might then argue that calling them the cat family has become common usage so that's now its meaning, but that does nothing here because I can call sabre-toothed tigers "sabre-toothed tigers" for that very reason!
Seabed.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:The thing is that people say they're not sabre-toothed tigers but sabre-toothed cats because they're not actually tigers. Well:

Seabed.
That reply came as soon as I sent my post. So you must have read it all and decided that the correct response was "seabed" and typed it in in about 2 seconds.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ah man you got totally seabed.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Are they really even cats? The "official" family name is Felidae but we informally call them cats, because cats are the most familiar animal to most of us in this family. That's why actual cats don't have another name - because it's not really a family name.
Whether you like it or not, the term cat refers to any member of the family Felidae. You could also use the term felid, but in most contexts that would sound somewhat pretentious. If at any time you need to emphasise that you are talking about the species commonly kept as a pet, you can call this a domestic cat.

I'm 100% happy with sabre-toothed tiger. Smilodon is good too. But in your original statement it is unclear whether the person is equating sabre-toothed tiger and sabre-toothed cat, which is plain wrong, or whether they in fact understand the distinction, in which case it is you who has missed the point.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People who snort when they laugh.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker wrote:I'm 100% happy with sabre-toothed tiger. Smilodon is good too. But in your original statement it is unclear whether the person is equating sabre-toothed tiger and sabre-toothed cat, which is plain wrong, or whether they in fact understand the distinction, in which case it is you who has missed the point.
I'm not sure there is a distinction though. Smilodon might be the most commonly talked about species, but generally speaking people who use the term "sabre-toothed" cat are referring to all of them, and implicitly (or explicitly) saying that the term "sabre-toothed tiger" is wrong. Also, people who use the term "sabre-toothed" tiger would not necessarily limit themselves to smilodon. In short, I don't think many people use both terms. ODO doesn't distinguish between cat/tiger although it says "in particular Smilodon" under the entry for both.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People whose favourite colour isn't yellow.
People who go for a shit and don't check if there's paper and get caught out.
People who do the above but think it isn't their fault.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

And why would that be? Was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother not trustworthy?

Edit: Used correct tense
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Dexter wrote:

It has to be the same year as well.

But probably not anyway.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:

It has to be the same year as well.

But probably not anyway.
People who use birthday when they mean birthdate.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I think these should all be turned into one long list, and we should see who the least trustworthy person on here is.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Zarte Siempre wrote:I think these should all be turned into one long list, and we should see who the least trustworthy person on here is.
At your wish :P

More-or-less all suggestions grouped... I fit about 3 or 4?

People who like swimming
People who eat yoghurt
Men who wear really long pointy shoes that are much longer than their feet despite not being clowns but are actually in their work suits
People with spiky hair.
People with combovers.
People who pronounce the OI in TORTOISE like you would in TOILET.
People who slap the table when they laugh.
Men who dye their beards.
People who go to pubs but don't drink.
Just people who use hair gel generally.
Anyone who pronounces H as "haitch"
Men who were stacked heels.
People who don't spell check what their posting!
People who don't know the difference between grammar and spelling.
Meteorologists
People who refer to their mother as "Mum" rather than "my mum".
People who are almost physically unable to speak without waving their hands around like they're trying to attract the attention of a passing helicopter.
Men who grow a beard to prove that they actually do have a chin.
People who hate Marmite but drink beer.
Men with ponytails.
Men with nice cheekbones.
Men who think cheekbones are something that can be nice or not.
England goalkeepers.
Men who wear pink.
Men who wear runners with a suit for the commute.
People who claim fraudulent credit card chargebacks for their apterous subscription, then continue playing.
Anyone who believes in any God(s).
Men who wear really long pointy shoes, including clowns.
People who drink decaffeinated coffee/tea and are smug/preachy about it.
People with personalised car number plates.
People who post things on internet forums that they would not contemplate saying to someone’s face.
People who say "An historic".
People who say "Congradulations"
People who eat really really strong cheese.
People who use "quiche" as a serious word.
People who don't Google themselves.
Men with plastic hair like Ken dolls
Anyone whose skin colour appears to be any of 138,166, 173 or 1655 on the Pantone system
Fake sheikhs
People who share a birthday with Jeff Gordon.
Forum trolls.
People who habitually add things like "Just saying" or "Just putting that out there" immediately after saying something.
People who stand up to urinate.
People who wear sunglasses inside to look 'cool'.
People who wear condoms to keep the rain off.
People who start sentences with "No offence, but..."
People who think it's necessary to scream before they sneeze.
People who are under the impression that when driving a powerful car, an appropriate stopping distance at 70mph is about two feet.
The England football team?
People who use the spelling FOCUSSED.
People who drink fizzy drinks when travelling or playing sport instead of water.
People who use the -ed past tense instead of the -t version - e.g. LEARNED instead of LEARNT, DREAMED instead of DREAMT, SPELLED instead of SPELT etc.
People who do the "ice bucket challenge".
People who think they're being really clever by saying "sabre-tooth cat" instead of "sabre-tooth" tiger.
People who snort when they laugh.
People whose favourite colour isn't yellow.
People who go for a shit and don't check if there's paper and get caught out.
People who do the above but think it isn't their fault.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

People who can't complete a list.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Ian Volante wrote:People who can't complete a list.
:D
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Steven M. McCann wrote:People who don't spell check what their posting!

Ha! Ha! Only just got this........
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People who actually use the tracker pad thing on their laptop rather than using a mouse.
Horse people.
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

People who have never seen the iconic film Mean Girls.
People who say 'expresso' instead of espresso.
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

People who sneeze more than twice in one bout of sneezing.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Giles wrote:People who sneeze more than twice in one bout of sneezing.
True, I sneeze three times most mornings.

Once got to the magical eight in a row, and it's not as good as I was led to believe.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:
Giles wrote:People who sneeze more than twice in one bout of sneezing.
True, I sneeze three times most mornings.

Once got to the magical eight in a row, and it's not as good as I was led to believe.
I did five in a row this morning and did wonder what the fuck was going on and whether or not it would ever stop, because you know, sneezing for the rest of your life would be a bit of a bummer.

As it turned out, my head had somehow become lodged in a large Mason jar containing the remnants of some sort of Cayenne concoction and once removed, the sneezing stopped. Scared me for a moment there, though, like.