Post-countdown Apocalypse

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post-countdown Apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What do people watch come 4:15pm?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Post-countdown Apocalypse

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Normally in our house the telly goes off before Deal Or No Deal is inflicted upon us!
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

That's when I go to the pub. (Can't stand that music.)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Normally in our house the telly goes off before Deal Or No Deal is inflicted upon us!
Same here.

I tend though to either listen to music, watch videos online or do some origami etc.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah I can't believe Deal Or No Deal is still popular, I grimace far too often as that music begins and I realise I haven't changed the channel in time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Don't get in from work until later, telly usually stays off as long as I can manage!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Thanks to Douglas Adams, this is known as the long dark teatime of the soul, the dead time between decent quizzes and something not mind-meltingly bad like the news or something.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ian Volante wrote:Thanks to Douglas Adams, this is known as the long dark teatime of the soul, the dead time between decent quizzes and something not mind-meltingly bad like the news or something.
Brilliant.

I personally admire Noel Edmond's ability to carp on as though people are using actual strategies beyond just picking any old number and hoping for the best.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I definitely turn off DOND and do a school run most days.

Then if I have time I will watch Eggheads (Appeared on it in May 2006 (unsuccessfully). I am pleased that Jeremy Vine has taken over from Dermott Murnaghan as I found his style very irritating. Jeremy is much better.

I then avoid the duff cooking programme with Mark Nicholas looking as much out of place on it as a vegertarian in a butcher's shop.

We tend to record programmes we like in the evenings so that we can fast forward through the ads and rubbish bits.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

If I'm watching tv at 4:15pm, then it's generally a recording of the Countdown programme just finished. It's not often that I get the opportunity to actually watch live, but I sometimes take a 15min break at around 4:15 or 4:30 and get the first part of the programme. As for DOND, I do occasionally watch small bits of it while waiting for my antiquated VHS tape to rewind, and am always thankful when the rewind has finished. I'd even rather watch Ann Widdecombe's party political broadcasts than DOND.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Dermot Murnaghan will be back on Eggheads at some point - Jeremy Vine is just standing in. (Now I come to think of it, was Vine ever considered for Countdown? He seems to fit all the most important criteria, viz. he's C-of-E and has a decent chance of not dying before Champion Of Champions XIV.) Murnaghan's also doing the current spin-off, "Are You An Egghead?" (BBC Two, 4.30pm), which isn't hugely interesting but does at least have some decent players on it for once. It's also much preferable to Noel cracking jokes about bungee jumping, as he was today. If there's one thing Noel Edmonds really shouldn't be cracking jokes about, it's bungee jumping.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jennifer Turner wrote: It's also much preferable to Noel cracking jokes about bungee jumping, as he was today.
Really? He's gone back up in my estimation a little for such tastelessness! Not up to Swap Shop levels of appreciation, he'd have to please me much more for that.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jennifer Turner wrote:If there's one thing Noel Edmonds really shouldn't be cracking jokes about, it's bungee jumping.
Heh, reminds of this submission to Viz's Letterbocks page:

"IT'S GOOD to see Noel Edmonds back on TV enjoying success with Deal or No Deal. As well as the obvious financial bonuses, it must be good for Noel to be involved in a TV show where he gets to open a box without a contestant plummeting 100 feet to their death."
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I don't mind Deal or No Deal!