Drink of water

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Drink of water

Post by John Bosley »

Contestants have various silly 'mannerisms'. One is taking a drink of water when it makes it so obvious they have solved the numbers and are very pleased with themselves. Charlie at least pretends to be still working it out - we all know he is really finding a cleverer answer.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Re: Drink of water

Post by Paul Howe »

I think the body language thing is overplayed on here. You can't see your opponent from the chair without turning to look at them, the only times I stole a glance at my oppo was when I was already in smug mode having found what I hoped was the max. I think most people will concentrate on what's in front of them rather than looking for body language clues.

Also, knowing your opponent has already solved a numbers game might add some extra pressure. Depends on your personality I suppose.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yep, I just tried to double- and triple-check my solution, write it out really neatly, and then look for a neater alternative just for fun. But I did try not to give anything away on the few occasions when I had a 9 by keeping my head down and furiously scribbling for the rest of the 30 seconds.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

I seem to recall that one or other of the producers (probably Eadie) was quite scathing of "showboating" contestants in "Spreading The Word". All the more reason to do it, really...
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I kept an eye out for smugness, in case of a free clue for a nine that I'd missed. Didn't work.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

If you believe some, the 'arrogant sipping of water' is quite an epidemic amongst certain contestants... :roll: ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Wilson wrote:If you believe some, the 'arrogant sipping of water' is quite an epidemic amongst certain contestants... :roll: ;)
The only time I ever did this was my 10th (and final game) when I was getting a good pounding and the last numbers game could be solved by doing 100+75+4. It wasn't showboating at all because I was losing by quite a lot, I think that was just a little 'farewell'.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Some contestants I really take to and hope they win and some I really don't like at all, especially when they reach for the water. I mostly prefer men to women, although young boys like Conor or Kai I really do go for and am gunning for them all the way. Conor, especially, was amazing as he found words he didn't even know the meaning of.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

kathleen batlle wrote: Conor, especially, was amazing as he found words he didn't even know the meaning of.
Welcome to the game played by the top players.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

kathleen batlle wrote:Conor, especially, was amazing as he found words he didn't even know the meaning of.
This was actually called "The Conor Principle" in the end. Not sure though if it still stands today.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

kathleen batlle wrote:Some contestants I really take to and hope they win and some I really don't like at all, especially when they reach for the water.
Maybe they should just replace it with acid. That way anyone who gets to the end and wins is a good player and a good egg!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I don't think CD is the worst progamme for water sippers by a long chalk. Most contestants are too busy concentrating to even think about sipping. As Charlie said, you don't even notice your opponent let alone worry about their body language.

IMO the smuggest sippers are on University Challenge, where certain contestants smugly sip every time they get a question right! This is very irritating and you take an instant dislike to them.

I bet I'm leaning against an open door here!

Allan
Last edited by Allan Harmer on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I drunk a fair amount of water to keep myself calm. Despite the intellectual veneer, UC is a nerve-wracking and adrenalin charged program, and while I'm sure there's some "look at me, aren't I clever!" water sipping going on, I imagine most are just trying to keep a steady nerve.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

maybe getting a bit too deep... but going back to the numbers game, i've always thought that a struggling opponent could be turned on to a much more simple solution than that they are working on when someone sits back and looks smug at solving it quickly
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Matt Morrison wrote:maybe getting a bit too deep... but going back to the numbers game, i've always thought that a struggling opponent could be turned on to a much more simple solution than that they are working on when someone sits back and looks smug at solving it quickly
As pointed out by Charlie, if it's a (seemingly) difficult numbers game you're going to be look at the board, or your bit of paper, not your opponent.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jennifer Turner wrote:I seem to recall that one or other of the producers (probably Eadie) was quite scathing of "showboating" contestants in "Spreading The Word". All the more reason to do it, really...
A pint of BITTER, Turner?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

aagharmer wrote:IMO the smuggest sippers are on University Challenge, where certain contestants smugly sip every time they get a question right! This is very irritating and you take an instant dislike to them.
I always presume they're doing it as 'something to do' whilst they're being applauded for getting the question right.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Michael Wallace wrote:
aagharmer wrote:IMO the smuggest sippers are on University Challenge, where certain contestants smugly sip every time they get a question right! This is very irritating and you take an instant dislike to them.
I always presume they're doing it as 'something to do' whilst they're being applauded for getting the question right.
I tried to avoid looking too smug while I knew the camera was on me on UC. I think I failed.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I was guilty of water sipping when I was on,usually when I had solved the numbers pretty quickly and then when I'd spotted CHARITIES for 9 against Peter Davies in the semi, but I knew it wouldn't have mattered if he'd seen it because I would still have been 22 ahead with only 2 rounds to play.But the water sipping certainly wasn't so as to look smug.It was because I found it pretty hot under the studio lights and got dry quite quickly. Between picking letters and numbers, writing them down, playing the rounds and declaring, there aren't that many chances to rehydrate yourself and you grab them when they come along. Hence (at least in my case) the sipping of water after solving the numbers.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rich Priest wrote:I was guilty of water sipping when I was on,usually when I had solved the numbers pretty quickly and then when I'd spotted CHARITIES for 9 against Peter Davies in the semi, but I knew it wouldn't have mattered if he'd seen it because I would still have been 22 ahead with only 2 rounds to play.But the water sipping certainly wasn't so as to look smug.It was because I found it pretty hot under the studio lights and got dry quite quickly. Between picking letters and numbers, writing them down, playing the rounds and declaring, there aren't that many chances to rehydrate yourself and you grab them when they come along. Hence (at least in my case) the sipping of water after solving the numbers.
Yeah, my lips completely dried up and disappeared under the studio lights, and I got through loads of water. I was also urinating pretty much constantly, like a rat.
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

OMG i didn't realise the water-sipping was analysed so much, god help me if i ever go on there :shock: .

I get so nervous, and hot and bothered when doing anything like that, i would end up with such a dry mouth i wouldn't be able to speak, especially under studio lights. i would need GALLONS of water (and a catheter btw) :roll: . In fact, a saline drip would be better cos i'd be so nervous i'd be spilling water or dropping tumblers all over the place, especially if the camera panned to me while i was drinking :oops: .
Jon Corby wrote:I was also urinating pretty much constantly, like a rat.
Hope they got a new champions chair then :shock:

For those who do choose to do it for smugness or to be off-putting, even if the other contestant can't see them, they'd just need to make sure they put the glass down a bit noisily. I think if i was aware of that happening as 'the other contestant' i would take that as a sign they'd done pretty well on the round, and I would hope it would spur me on to improve on what i had, and not cause me to blow a fuse trying.

I would like to stake my claim here and now, for future reference if i ever go on the show, the right to drink more water than you have ever seen anyone drink before, without being labelled as smug - PLEASE!!!

BTW - Who else wants to see Charlie's doodles? :lol:
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I may be the guilty one with the 'smug' word and I would like to sincerely apologise even with a spilt infinitive. However, smugness IMO refers to when you drink and not the mere fact of drinking. Also, as Charlie would no doubt agree, drinking your water while the clock is still ticking can send a message to your opponent which may (or not) help her/him.

[I now see it wasn't me even though that is what I meant.]
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
kathleen batlle wrote:Conor, especially, was amazing as he found words he didn't even know the meaning of.
This was actually called "The Conor Principle" in the end. Not sure though if it still stands today.
..and on at least one occasion a word he couldn't pronounce, which made me smile. Though I'm sure he would TRAVERSe (sense 3 in ODE) any such suggestion.

Adding to the water sip thing, as if it hasn't been added to enough already, can't you tell we're in nerdsville. I don't see an issue with taking a sip if a mad easy numbers round comes up like 100 + 75 + 4 gives you the answer, you can take it the other player has it. Playing from home today I missed the 381 but saw it immediately once John had declared it. Knowing there's a 9 or a "zero away" as Jeffrey would say.. (before ripping up his bit of paper) it definitely alters the play... I'm usually far too busy playing the round to be watching what anyone is doing, if I were on that would apply more so. Though I can't resist but watch for any smirks during rude word rounds like SHITTIER and WANKERS in recent times.

The overwhelming majority of viewers really couldn't care whether you sip or not, If I were in the chair I'd take a sip if I felt like it and really wouldn't give a toss what anyone had to say about it.

DC
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

The old "slam the pen down on the table routine" does put pressure on. I was playing Paul Howe at COBRIS (I think) a couple of years ago and a 3 large came up. Paul tutted and slammed his pen down (well merely put it down and sat looking happy with himself) and I was still struggling to see the solution. I panicked thinking it must be easy and it puts that extra bit of pressure on you not to miss a trivial solution.

A similar thing happened against Christine Armstrong - a 4 large solution at a COBRIS. She sighed and finished. Turned out I never did find the solution - it involved the old (75-50)x25 move to make 625 then subtract 9. In the studio, however, I think the gap between contestants is too big to be seeing what your opponent is doing.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

They do the same thing on Millionaire here, you know!
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Paul Howe wrote:I think the body language thing is overplayed on here. You can't see your opponent from the chair without turning to look at them

I think this may depend on whether you are right or left handed and which chair you are sitting in. When I was in the challenger's chair, there were a couple of times I was sure that my opponent had got a good word because you can see their change of body language out of the corner of your eye. This put me under pressure to find something better than I already had. Much better to be in the champion's chair if you are right handed so you are totally unaware of your opponent.
Last edited by Lee Simmonds on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

This is a bit of a non sequitur but did anyone else feel that the champion's chair is at a funny angle (so that they can get the right headshot presumably).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

David O'Donnell wrote:This is a bit of a non sequitur but did anyone else feel that the champion's chair is at a funny angle (so that they can get the right headshot presumably).
That rings a bell, I seem to remember that I wasn't allowed to be as close to the desk as I'd have liked.