Spoilers for Tuesday 21st October

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 21st October

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote: I home educate my kids, so my 11 year old son's bedtime is 10:30pm, whatever week it is! 8-)
A lot of time is saved by not having to do the school run. :)
Interesting. How come? I have a no problem with home education in principle but I've met some weird people in my time and often when they say "I was home educated", I subconciously think "that explains it". Which is probably totally unfair, but I think that perception does exist. [I sense another thread coming on.]
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote: I home educate my kids, so my 11 year old son's bedtime is 10:30pm, whatever week it is! 8-)
A lot of time is saved by not having to do the school run. :)
Interesting. How come? I have a no problem with home education in principle but I've met some weird people in my time and often when they say "I was home educated", I subconciously think "that explains it". Which is probably totally unfair, but I think that perception does exist. [I sense another thread coming on.]
If anyone's really interested, I could start another thread in Off Topic when I've got more time.
Short answer is that I started Home Edding my youngest 3 in 2004 due to bullying, and ineffectual schools.
I continue to do so, due to all of us loving the freedoms and choices it gives, great friends in local Home Ed groups, and thriving and much happier children (especially my ASD son, who didn't understand school at all).
I certainly don't 'hothouse', which is what people often assume when you mention Home Ed. We're semi-autonomous, which sort of means that they choose what they study and what their aims are, although I try to guide them. e.g. my 18 year old son has no qualifications ATM, and I didn't push him to do so. He's recently decided he wants to do a couple of GCSEs, so maybe it's a couple of years later than kids his age, but it's what he wants to do, when he wants to do it, which is best for motivation IMHO.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Btw Charlie, your exaggerated pronunciation of 'exorcise' the other day was fine in order to distinguish it from 'exercise' without any unnecessary dialogue, but wtf was 'deeeespite' all about today? :)
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Poor Charlie, stop picking on him. I want to do that tomorrow. :mrgreen:
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

That has to have thousands of views on youtube soon :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Btw Charlie, your exaggerated pronunciation of 'exorcise' the other day was fine in order to distinguish it from 'exercise' without any unnecessary dialogue, but wtf was 'deeeespite' all about today? :)
Same thing I think. I'm sure it wasn't the only time I pronounced something oddly.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Btw Charlie, your exaggerated pronunciation of 'exorcise' the other day was fine in order to distinguish it from 'exercise' without any unnecessary dialogue, but wtf was 'deeeespite' all about today? :)
Same thing I think. I'm sure it wasn't the only time I pronounced something oddly.
Yeah, but 'despite' doesn't sound like anything else, does it?

(I did the same thing loads too :))
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I get a bit annoyed at people that go for MEDIATOR (etc) and pronounce it with -TORR at the end when in Yorkshire English at least it's more of a -TEUH sound.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Yeah, but 'despite' doesn't sound like anything else, does it?
Depends how bad your hearing is. I guess I wanted to emphasis the correct spelling because DESPITE in ordinary conversation sounds more like DISPITE.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:I get a bit annoyed at people that go for MEDIATOR (etc) and pronounce it with -TORR at the end when in Yorkshire English at least it's more of a -TEUH sound.
Get annoyed at me then - I do it to distinguish the fact I'm using -OR and not -ER even if there isn't another E in the selection.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Yeah, but 'despite' doesn't sound like anything else, does it?
Depends how bad your hearing is. I guess I wanted to emphasis the correct spelling because DESPITE in ordinary conversation sounds more like DISPITE.
Yeah, fair enough, I did similar stuff too, I'm just being a twat :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've just been watching an old episode from last November which nearly resulted in this episode not being the first in which the bleep was used.

Gary Tennant was playing against the person famed for the PROMATE/PRONATE incident, and while explaining his solution for the first numbers round he clearly said "Oh shi..., I've gone wrong". Either he suddenly realised what he was saying, and curtailed the word, or else the person responsible for the sound mixing reduced his mike briefly.