2014 FIFA World Cup

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Who will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Algeria
No votes
Argentina
21%
Australia
No votes
Belgium
5%
Bosnia and Herzegovina
No votes
Brazil
42%
Cameroon
No votes
Chile
No votes
Colombia
No votes
Costa Rica
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Ecuador
No votes
England
5%
France
No votes
Germany
No votes
Ghana
No votes
Greece
No votes
Honduras
5%
Iran
No votes
Italy
No votes
Ivory Coast
No votes
Japan
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Nigeria
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Russia
5%
South Korea
No votes
Spain
5%
Switzerland
No votes
Uruguay
11%
USA
No votes

Total votes: 19

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup

Post by Steven M. McCann »

As a fellow European, congratulations to Germany on giving our Continent a third successive World Cup victory!
I was pleased it didn't go to penalties and that the better team won (although there wasn't much in it).
To his credit, Lionel Messi looked embarrassed collecting the Golden Ball for player of the tournament, very few people seem to think he deserved it.(pre-tournament he was top priced 8/1 2nd favourite behind Neymar, to win it.)
I don't think Higuain will get much sleep tonight, between missing the "German gift", going too soon for his offside "goal", then getting flattened by Neuer, he had an eventful evening.
The jammy Racing Post tipped Schweinsteiger to be the first player booked @ 14/1! giving them a small profit on all their tournament tips, rather than a small loss!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Steven M. McCann wrote:To his credit, Lionel Messi looked embarrassed collecting the Golden Ball for player of the tournament, very few people seem to think he deserved it.(pre-tournament he was top priced 8/1 2nd favourite behind Neymar, to win it.)
By the way, I disagree with this sort of award. FIFA are just there to objectively judge the game and give awards for winning. Golden boot is OK for objectively scoring the most goals but this is too far. They should leave it to public polls, newspapers etc.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Steven M. McCann wrote:To his credit, Lionel Messi looked embarrassed collecting the Golden Ball for player of the tournament, very few people seem to think he deserved it.(pre-tournament he was top priced 8/1 2nd favourite behind Neymar, to win it.)
By the way, I disagree with this sort of award. FIFA are just there to objectively judge the game and give awards for winning. Golden boot is OK for objectively scoring the most goals but this is too far. They should leave it to public polls, newspapers etc.
It's a marketing award though, isn't it? It's purely for publicity purposes.