Spoilers for Tuesday July 8th 2014 (S71 P7)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday July 8th 2014 (S71 P7)

Post by Jordan F »

Tim Gregory is our new champion. Is win number 2 in the cards for him? He does have the highest score of the series thus far at 79, so maybe we can finally get a score in the 80s or higher.

Join Callum for the recap later.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday July 8th 2014 (S71 P7)

Post by szodiac »

In round 2 Jessica found AGNISED in the ODO.
Listed as a variant spelling of the verb AGNIZE.
Means to recognise the existence of. Archaic.
AGNISE is not listed in the OED that we've got.

Mauro/Jessica
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

GOATEES, word of the match? AWESOME! (or TOWAGES, STOWAGE, GAMETES etc)
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

HOUSEFUL in R7
Sfumato soup
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

szodiac wrote:In round 2 Jessica found AGNISED in the ODO.

Mauro/Jessica
Neither are in ODE3 - so well done!
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

The longest word didn't make the edit - assume SPRINKLE?
CO-MSO every August
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Tony Atkins wrote:The longest word didn't make the edit - assume SPRINKLE?
SPUNKIER ? (as in braver)
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:
SPUNKIER ? (as in braver)
Yep both - and lots of 7s.
CO-MSO every August
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

4th nos: (75-10) x 8 = 520; 9 x 3 = 27; 520-27 = 493
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

I think the conundrum has two solutions. I went for RETCONNED.
Sfumato soup
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Alt last numbers: (75+10+2)x(8+9)/3=493
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Bradley Cates wrote:I think the conundrum has two solutions. I went for RETCONNED.
Indeed. Would have been fine as a conundrum last series.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Bradley Cates wrote:I think the conundrum has two solutions. I went for RETCONNED.
Damian must be using up old ODE3 conundrums then as it is not in that but certainly in ODO.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Peter Mabey wrote:Alt last numbers: (75+10+2)x(8+9)/3=493
Nice - I did Rachel's way - and despite what she says I think 1L is more of a gamble than some other selections.
CO-MSO every August
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

The edits seem to be getting more severe in recent weeks. Could longer ad breaks and more programme plugs be the culprit ?
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Spunkier makes more sense being editted!
A tyre can't be trod though, guess it can't be treaded either, and I went for reflush over flusher too, just seems much more likely to be in.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Tony Atkins wrote:
szodiac wrote:In round 2 Jessica found AGNISED in the ODO.

Mauro/Jessica
Neither are in ODE3 - so well done!
It's in CSW so are some of those words sneaking in?

But wait... in round 5 the MOOTED round. Champion's word DATER is in ODO but not in our OED!?!?! Are Susie and Jessica using the same Oxford dictionary on line?
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

OK Jessica again! In this round Susie disallowed LUPINES.

Jessica *found* LUPINES listed under LUPIN in the ODO (and OED). (Susie may have just typed Lupine and looked for an S hook)

Jessica had to type in the *whole* word into the text box on the website.
This took her to the right definition which listed LUPINE as a variant spelling of LUPIN which defines it as a pea-plant.

Errrrmmm :o

Mauro/Jessica

ps: who should think Jessica should apply for the DC opening when it becomes available?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

ODO says LUPINE is a North American spelling of LUPIN though, which is probably why it wasn't allowed.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Griff Rhys Jones seemed to be trying to ask Susie why non-words (such as acronyms) were in the dictionary but she was in a bit of a world of her own.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Innis Carson wrote:ODO says LUPINE is a North American spelling of LUPIN though, which is probably why it wasn't allowed.
It all depends on how Susie looked it up. I believe she looked up LUPINE as in wolflike and not LUPINE as in 'see LUPIN' plant. She did give the definition as "pertaining to wolf"

We might never know. There is a little 2 above the word Lupine on the right hand side of the ODO in the 'see also' section which she may or may not have noticed.

US spellings are currently marked and not allowed like FAVOR^.
The listing definition would suggest to me it's a North American word as opposed to a North American spelling.

It's going to be a while before we'll get to grasp, and navigate around, the ODO fully methinks :) :) :) :) :)

Mauro/Jessica
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Innis Carson wrote:ODO says LUPINE is a North American spelling of LUPIN though, which is probably why it wasn't allowed.
It says North American not US and I think it's only US spellings that are disallowed. It is also not listed as a spelling and has its own pronunciation listed so it's arguably a separate term. LUPINES should be valid and looking up the declared word should be done as default. So what Mauro says really.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
It says North American not US and I think it's only US spellings that are disallowed. It is also not listed as a spelling and has its own pronunciation listed so it's arguably a separate term. LUPINES should be valid and looking up the declared word should be done as default. So what Mauro says really.
According to what Charlie has been saying in ODO list maker on Apterous, North American spellings are now not allowed, as well as US spellings, so Susie was correct this time.

BORANES in round 8, FOREIGN/GENITOR/TRIGONE in round 11 and INTRADOS in round 13.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It is also not listed as a spelling and has its own pronunciation listed so it's arguably a separate term.
It's listed "as a spelling" in the same way that alternative spellings always are, and it would be weird for the fact that it's also pronounced differently to make a difference. No substantive difference is outlined between LUPINE (in this sense) and LUPIN. And yes, it's been intimated elsewhere that 'North American' spellings are officially disallowed now too, though you wouldn't have been able to see that in fairness. I'm in two minds about whether or not I agree with the rule, but given that it's in place, I think this was a justifiable ruling.

Reading too much into what we think Susie did to check the word is fairly pointless too considering there's a good chance what we saw is a retake. I'd be surprised if this didn't cause any discussion at the time of recording.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It is also not listed as a spelling and has its own pronunciation listed so it's arguably a separate term.
The ambiguity lies in the fact that the entry for LUPINE lists it neither as a "term" or "spelling" just North American.

If you look at the entries for SIDEWALK and CELLPHONE. They are also listed as North American. So they'll not be allowed then!

Then I had a look at other words to see what ODO says: CARIBOU (US term), TATTLETALE (US spelling), GARBAGE (North American).

Sorry I'm just trying to make sense of which are allowed and which are not according to ODO.

Hope we don't get into this trouble at CoStAl this Saturday :roll:

Mauro/Jessica
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

The rule has always been a bit fuzzy and I'm not sure if there'll be any objective way of distinguishing between 'spellings' and 'words' that will never go wrong, but I find that alternative spellings tend to be given in brackets under the headword but before the entry, such as with FLAVOR and ANEMIC. If it says "US" or "North American" here, then I'd be inclined to call it an American spelling and disallow it. If the "US" or "North American" tag appears with no brackets in the section containing definitions, such as with DUMPSTER or JELLO, then it's more likely to be indicating the regional usage of a distinct word with a distinct meaning, and those are allowable. Going by this, all of Mauro's examples are allowable, but LUPINES isn't. I realise this is all very arbitrary, but it would be nice to put together some kind of objective way of judging this, and in all cases I can think of off the top of my head, this way is consistent with past rulings and with intuition - though there could well be counterexamples and I'd be interested to see them.
Last edited by Innis Carson on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Innis Carson wrote:It's listed "as a spelling" in the same way that alternative spellings always are, and it would be weird for the fact that it's also pronounced differently to make a difference.
My worry was that although it's listed as alternative spellings always are, it's also listed as alternative terms are since it doesn't seem to make an explicit difference. Being pronounced differently means it's more than a different spelling.
The rule has always been a bit fuzzy and I'm not sure if there'll be any objective way of distinguishing between 'spellings' and 'words' that will never go wrong, but I find that alternative spellings tend to be given in brackets under the headword but before the entry, such as with FLAVOR and ANEMIC.
You might be right. In the NODE, HAULER is right next to HAULIER, and it has its own entry saying that it's a North American term. It also has its own entry in the ODO. So maybe if it's a term they'll explicitly say so, but it if it's a spelling then they won't.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Innis Carson wrote:... there could well be counterexamples and I'd be interested to see them.
If I'm understanding you correctly, some examples which appear as spelling variants but which might be considered substantively different from their UK forms are aluminum, apothegm, behoove and tidbit. There used to be zibet/zibeth but they seem to have disappeared.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Philip Wilson wrote:I went for reflush over flusher too, just seems much more likely to be in.
But FLUSHER also means "having more money".
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

David Williams wrote:
Philip Wilson wrote:I went for reflush over flusher too, just seems much more likely to be in.
But FLUSHER also means "having more money".
Didn't think of that until after I wrote the msg tbh, so long after watching the match :oops: