Spoilers for Wednesday July 2nd 2014 (S71 P3)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday July 2nd 2014 (S71 P3)

Post by Jordan F »

We have a new champion. Her name is Sue Melling. Can she get win number 2?

Join James for his first recap of the series later.
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday July 2nd 2014 (S71 P3)

Post by Bradley Cates »

LADINOS in R1
Sfumato soup
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

UTOPIA was always capitalised in the ODE, but it is indeed allowable now. Is that the first ODO-only spot (albeit by DC)?
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Innis Carson wrote:UTOPIA was always capitalised in the ODE, but it is indeed allowable now. Is that the first ODO-only spot (albeit by DC)?
This is certainly worrying and could cost the game. I wonder about other capitalised words like Xeroxed, Kleenex and Izvesta?

Is it me or is QWERTY listed as all capitals in the ODO? Does that mean it is not allowed? If so why does it appear in lowercase in the definition?

The online dictionary should reflect the printed one and it looks like it apparantly doesn't.

Also with the new on-line version aren't contestants trying words (laggier, mahoods) just because they may get away with it?

Mauro
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

szodiac wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:UTOPIA was always capitalised in the ODE, but it is indeed allowable now. Is that the first ODO-only spot (albeit by DC)?
This is certainly worrying and could cost the game. I wonder about other capitalised words like Xeroxed, Kleenex and Izvesta?

Is it me or is QWERTY listed as all capitals in the ODO? Does that mean it is not allowed? If so why does it appear in lowercase in the definition?

The online dictionary should reflect the printed one and it looks like it apparantly doesn't.

Also with the new on-line version aren't contestants trying words (laggier, mahoods) just because they may get away with it?

Mauro

Mauro - What is worrying, exactly? Utopia losing its capital letter? Xeroxed can't ever come out in a selection, Kleenex is capitalised and Izvesta doesn't exist. Qwerty is also capitalised, so as with all capitalised words since the show started, it's not valid. The online dictionary isn't supposed to reflect the printed one - hence it's new and different. What may they get away with? Something is either allowable or it isn't.

PS - the site is free to use, so you can check out anything. www.oxforddictionaries.com
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

szodiac wrote:Also with the new on-line version aren't contestants trying words (laggier, mahoods) just because they may get away with it?

Mauro
Contestants have always being trying that. It's a (good) part of the game.

Also, I think utopia has enough of a generic usage to warrant being now listed with a lower case u. The dictionary doesn't make the rules, it just describes them.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

ANDISOL in round 1, FOREGUT in round 2, RODHAMS in round 5, FITNESS in round 8, OBELIAS in round 11 and DISPROVE in round 12.

2nd Numbers Alt.: (((8 x 6) + 1 - 10) x 25) + 3 = 978
3rd Numbers Alt.: (75 x 10) - 25 - 3 = 722
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Countdown Team wrote: Mauro - What is worrying, exactly? Utopia losing its capital letter? Xeroxed can't ever come out in a selection, Kleenex is capitalised and Izvesta doesn't exist. Qwerty is also capitalised, so as with all capitalised words since the show started, it's not valid. The online dictionary isn't supposed to reflect the printed one - hence it's new and different. What may they get away with? Something is either allowable or it isn't.

PS - the site is free to use, so you can check out anything. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com
OK fair dues - new dictionary - new words - new learning curve. Thanks for the link - bookmarked it already.

I would like to see more definitions shown on the big screen though.

Had a great chance to show them today with IONOMER and MASOOR :D

Mauro
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

James Robinson wrote: 2nd Numbers Alt.: (((8 x 6) + 1 - 10) x 25) + 3 = 978
3rd Numbers Alt.: (75 x 10) - 25 - 3 = 722
Did those two those ways too.
1st as Rachel and
4th alt: (100 x 3) - ((6 + 5) x (10 - 8)).
Shame the challenger got the 4th, I was hoping for a 40-0 win over both contestants today ;)
I really wish I could do the letters!!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just been informed that MOANIER was available in round 4, so for the first time, MOANIEST will be a correct answer when that appears in the near future :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

James Robinson wrote:Just been informed that MOANIER was available in round 4, so for the first time, MOANIEST will be a correct answer when that appears in the near future :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D
Not GROANIEST, though. *folds arms annoyedly*
Sfumato soup
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I was a bit disappointed when Rachel got the first numbers, after finding

75 x (9+1) x 4 = 3000
(3000-3) / 3 = 999

LIAISON in Round 1, I think.