The next Championship of Champions - now back on topic

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: - now a spam thread -

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I definitely agree with Tom that if there was going to be a CoC with contestants that were on before the 30th birthday, then it should have taken place before the 30BC. Also there was a special between Kirk Bevins and Chris Davies and between Ed McCullagh and Graeme Cole that were sort of mini CoCs. Having said that, the first of these games had weird numbers so wasn't a "proper game" and there was no special between Jack Hurst and Oliver Garner, which should have been between the two that did happen.

With the supreme championship, they combined the CoC with it. They finished a series, had the CoC that was due, but then made that part of the supremes (it was group A), so only the winner of that CoC continued on. So they could have done that with the 30BC as well, but with Apterous being a recent invention, it would have mean getting rid of a lot of the best players early on. If they had done it, it might have been more satisfying in some sense, but it wouldn't have meant any more games or visits to the studio for people who got to go in it. It would have been the same tournament but restructured and with two champions

It's been nearly five years since the last CoC, easily a record already, so whenever it happens there will have been a massive gap between this one and the last one. So if you include contestants from all series since the last one, I think too many players from more recent series will be excluded - players who came too late for the 30BC anyway. So while you might be able to make a logical case, I think practically it is too late for a CoC that includes players in the 30BC.

So basically, I would say series 67 (that Paul James won) onwards plus also recent players who couldn't make the 30BC, such as Oliver Garner and Eoin Monaghan.

(And can a moderator or Callum change the thread title, please?)
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Mark Deeks wrote:
should be given priority
Didn't say this.
So you don't think any 30BC contestants should be included in the next CoC at the expense of people who didn't get the chance to play in it? Either that, or you've misunderstood me.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:3. Rhys - your lists don't make sense. Surely byes would be randomly decided (how did you calculate the top 2 seeds for the first list anyway?). Also not sure why you'd have Adam in there over Ed in your second list (surely series winner trumps runner-up?), or invite Heather to a seven-episode CoC but not a 15-ep one.
Looking back through Mike's excellent notes (which I bookmarked!) for COC10, the byes weren't randomly decided. I think, looking back through the wiki, the byes were for the unbeaten players, Kate Ogilvie and Scott Mearns. The other four players had all lost - Simon Cooper in the Grand Final, Terence English in a Prelim, John Ashmore in a Prelim, and Terry Knowles in a Semi Final.

With my formula, I decided upon winners and runners-up who weren't in the 30BC. Adam therefore took precedence over Ed, although I agree Ed might have precedence in the actual event.

For the 15-ep one I decided to include 30BC contestants. That meant that it was either going to be Nicki Sellars or Heather Styles in the 7-ep and not the 15-ep.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

And with regard to what Mark's saying, I detect a little cynicism as, let's not forget, he lost in the 30BC Prelims!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Firstly all the Supreme Championship contestants also had their chance at a CofC before the SC.

The 30BC was kind of like a 2nd SC (although I realise it wasn't, exactly the same), but the problem was Countdown messed up IMO; they used to have a CofC every 4 series, and had the 1st SC after 32 series and 8 CofCs, so it was all very nice and neat and tidy.

Then they decided to mess things up (for whatever reason) and stop having CoCs after every 4 series and didn't have a 2nd SC after series 64.

This all started to happen around the time of the change from 9 to 15 rounds, for some reason?

They should have carried things on the way they started, it was all very nice and neat and tidy.

BUT, they didn't... So to remedy things they should kick-start a new CoCs (the XIV) and include all contestants who haven't had their chance at a CoC, this would mean having a 16 contestant, comp with all top players that are available to play from series 60 to whenever they do it (although if I was a betting man, I'd bet a lot of my cash on it NEVER happening).

:-(
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:And with regard to what Mark's saying, I detect a little cynicism as, let's not forget, he lost in the 30BC Prelims!
No Rhys, you gleeful pot stirrer you. I wouldn't get into a CoC anyway
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:If that's the case, why therefore would those not invited to the 30th BC now be considered candidates for a future CoC?
I think due to changes in filming procedure by the time of 30th BC, Eoin wasn't allowed to film unless he'd taken his GCSEs? I've heard it was something convoluted like that, anyway. I don't doubt he would've been invited if not for rules like that.
Yeah that's correct.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:3. Rhys - your lists don't make sense. Surely byes would be randomly decided (how did you calculate the top 2 seeds for the first list anyway?). Also not sure why you'd have Adam in there over Ed in your second list (surely series winner trumps runner-up?), or invite Heather to a seven-episode CoC but not a 15-ep one.
Looking back through Mike's excellent notes (which I bookmarked!) for COC10, the byes weren't randomly decided. I think, looking back through the wiki, the byes were for the unbeaten players, Kate Ogilvie and Scott Mearns. The other four players had all lost - Simon Cooper in the Grand Final, Terence English in a Prelim, John Ashmore in a Prelim, and Terry Knowles in a Semi Final.

With my formula, I decided upon winners and runners-up who weren't in the 30BC. Adam therefore took precedence over Ed, although I agree Ed might have precedence in the actual event.

For the 15-ep one I decided to include 30BC contestants. That meant that it was either going to be Nicki Sellars or Heather Styles in the 7-ep and not the 15-ep.
This still doesn't explain why you gave Adam precedence over Ed... they were both in the 30BC.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:

This still doesn't explain why you gave Adam precedence over Ed... they were both in the 30BC.
My fault, I thought Adam wasn't, I couldn't remember him being in it at all!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:

My fault, I thought Adam wasn't, I couldn't remember him being in it at all!
He replaced Marcus Hares and was (narrowly) beaten by Innis in the first round.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Re: The next Championship of Champions - now back on topic

Post by Callum Todd »

Glad to see this thread back on track and free of hostility.

I previously was one of those who believed that Series 60-66 should not be considered for the next CoC but now, having read Mark's comments, I've been talked around. I think he makes a valid point that the 30BC, while having many similarities with a CoC, was not treated enough like a CoC at the time to make it fair to exclude series 60-66 contestants from the next CoC. Thanks for your input Mark, it was really quite enlightening for me.

However, I think it would be best for 60-66 to be represented in a separate CoC to series 67 onwards, and those from 60-66 who did not play in the 30BC should be given first priority when allocating places for that CoC. So Eoin and Oliver, etc, would be chosen over those who got a place in the 30BC, should it come down to competition for places.

Obviously that idea is a bit pie in the sky, as it speculates two CoCs occurring fairly soon, when in reality we may not even have one. But in an ideal world, that's how I'd have it :)
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:If that's the case, why therefore would those not invited to the 30th BC now be considered candidates for a future CoC?
I think due to changes in filming procedure by the time of 30th BC, Eoin wasn't allowed to film unless he'd taken his GCSEs? I've heard it was something convoluted like that, anyway. I don't doubt he would've been invited if not for rules like that.
Yeah that's correct.
Due to not having taken GCSEs? That's mental. I thought it was just purely about age, which at least makes some kind of sense.
There must have been some people on recently who hadn't completed their O Levels - so is it "age, unless you've passed GCSEs" or something?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Sometimes things change and it's either not practical or necessary to repeat things just for the sake of what happened in the past. To flip the viewpoint, how many people are up in arms because contestants in series 67 onwards will never get to take part in the 30th BC, arguably the most prestigious of tournaments? Surely that's just as 'unfair' as CoC deprivation for pre-67ers. Holding a tournament solely for the sake of fulfilling some dodgy notion of fairness seems entirely gratuitous and, as Gev, Johnny and Tom have said, the timing makes no sense whatsoever.

Someone could always arrange a 60-66 CoC on Apterous if there's that much clamour for one. Marcus, Ben, Zarte...?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Sometimes things change and it's either not practical or necessary to repeat things just for the sake of what happened in the past. To flip the viewpoint, how many people are up in arms because contestants in series 67 onwards will never get to take part in the 30th BC, arguably the most prestigious of tournaments? Surely that's just as 'unfair' as CoC deprivation for pre-67ers. Holding a tournament solely for the sake of fulfilling some dodgy notion of fairness seems entirely gratuitous and, as Gev, Johnny and Tom have said, the timing makes no sense whatsoever.

Someone could always arrange a 60-66 CoC on Apterous if there's that much clamour for one. Marcus, Ben, Zarte...?
Very good point.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Callum Todd wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Someone could always arrange a 60-66 CoC on Apterous if there's that much clamour for one. Marcus, Ben, Zarte...?
Very good point.
Problem is, then the conundrum for the final game could be something piss-easy. Unless we changed the rules for this tourney only.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote: I think due to changes in filming procedure by the time of 30th BC, Eoin wasn't allowed to film unless he'd taken his GCSEs? I've heard it was something convoluted like that, anyway. I don't doubt he would've been invited if not for rules like that.
Yeah that's correct.
Due to not having taken GCSEs? That's mental. I thought it was just purely about age, which at least makes some kind of sense.
There must have been some people on recently who hadn't completed their O Levels - so is it "age, unless you've passed GCSEs" or something?
I was 16 at the time of competition, which is the minimum age requirement, but part of the legislation stated I had to have completed my GCSEs*. It's the reason Kai could compete but I couldn't; I'm actually older than him, but he was moved up a year ( :roll: ) and so had completed his GCSEs. :)

*I think that's the gist of it.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Someone could always arrange a 60-66 CoC on Apterous if there's that much clamour for one.
Not fair on Carl.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote:
Someone could always arrange a 60-66 CoC on Apterous if there's that much clamour for one.
Not fair on Carl.
It's not, and you should fight for your hero.

But anyway, people have made the point that not all players who would probably have made a CoC made it into the 30BC. That could include your hero Carl. But there's no guarantee of a place in the CoC for any non-champions. And in the CoC that Scott Mearns won, there were only six people, so some players who might have been included in a longer CoC missed out. None of these players are owed anything.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

:D
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

If it happened (which it probably will not), this is how I see it...

CofC XIV (S60-63)

Realistic contenders for the title, depending on form and draw:

Kirk Bevins
Chris Davies
Innis Carson
Oliver Garner (outside chance)
Jack Hurst (fave)
Eoin Monaghan (outside chance)

CoC XV (S64-67)

Realistic contenders:

Adam Gillard
Ed McCullagh
Mark Deeks
Graeme Cole (outside chance)
Jack Worsley

Wide open this one would be (XV).

CoC XVI (S68-71)

Contenders so far:

Giles Hutchings
Andy Platt (outside chance)
Dylan Taylor
Callum Todd
Jen Steadman
???
???
???
???

Again, wide open!
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Pretty sure a C of C will happen again at some point, but it's a headache that can wait for now. Haven't looked into the logistics of who takes part and from when etc, that's a nightmare yet to come, but gut-feeling and immediate instinct at the moment is that it should comprise of non-30th Birthday series contestants, if only to give other people a shot at the glory and turn a new page, so to speak. Would definitely consider Eoin and Oliver, as changes in legislation ruled them out of past contests through no fault of ours or theirs, but beyond that it'll be a no-win situation, as not everyone can be included and there will always be a number of people who think they've been given a bum deal. Likelihood is we'll think about a few weeks at the start of 2015, with 16 participants being the ideal number.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

^ I think that sounds fair. Might Marcus also be a consideration after he had to withdraw from 30BC?
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Andy Platt wrote:^ I think that sounds fair. Might Marcus also be a consideration after he had to withdraw from 30BC?
If he is, def. an apto trip to Salford.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:^ I think that sounds fair. Might Marcus also be a consideration after he had to withdraw from 30BC?
Might be getting a little ahead of myself here but... #TEAMMARCUS.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Callum Todd wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:
Might be getting a little ahead of myself here but... #TEAMMARCUS.
#TEAMMARCUS
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

No disrespect to Marcus and Glen, but they've both already appeared as winners in two series years apart. Both nice guys, and it would be good to see them back on tv, but if it was a toss up between either of them and somebody else who had only been in one series, out of fairness I'd pick the other person.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Countdown Team wrote:Pretty sure a C of C will happen again at some point, but it's a headache that can wait for now. Haven't looked into the logistics of who takes part and from when etc, that's a nightmare yet to come, but gut-feeling and immediate instinct at the moment is that it should comprise of non-30th Birthday series contestants, if only to give other people a shot at the glory and turn a new page, so to speak. Would definitely consider Eoin and Oliver, as changes in legislation ruled them out of past contests through no fault of ours or theirs, but beyond that it'll be a no-win situation, as not everyone can be included and there will always be a number of people who think they've been given a bum deal. Likelihood is we'll think about a few weeks at the start of 2015, with 16 participants being the ideal number.
Woo!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Countdown Team wrote:Pretty sure a C of C will happen again at some point, but it's a headache that can wait for now. Haven't looked into the logistics of who takes part and from when etc, that's a nightmare yet to come, but gut-feeling and immediate instinct at the moment is that it should comprise of non-30th Birthday series contestants, if only to give other people a shot at the glory and turn a new page, so to speak. Would definitely consider Eoin and Oliver, as changes in legislation ruled them out of past contests through no fault of ours or theirs, but beyond that it'll be a no-win situation, as not everyone can be included and there will always be a number of people who think they've been given a bum deal. Likelihood is we'll think about a few weeks at the start of 2015, with 16 participants being the ideal number.
To be fair, you can't fault Countdown Team for giving us at least a bit of info here, they didn't have to post, so, thanks.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Dave Preece wrote:
To be fair, you can't fault Countdown Team for giving us at least a bit of info here, they didn't have to post, so, thanks.
I don't think anyone was faulting them, the reaction has been unanimously positive.

Thanks for posting, Countdown Team! Good to hear that another CoC is on the cards.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Callum Todd wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
I don't think anyone was faulting them, the reaction has been unanimously positive.

Thanks for posting, Countdown Team! Good to hear that another CoC is on the cards.
Yeah, I couldn't make head nor tail of Dave's post there either.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Callum Todd wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:To be fair, you can't fault Countdown Team for giving us at least a bit of info here, they didn't have to post, so, thanks.

I don't think anyone was saying you could. :?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Yeah, I couldn't make head nor tail of Dave's post there either.
To be fair, I can't fault Gavin for pointing that out, so, thanks.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Yeah, I couldn't make head nor tail of Dave's post there either.
To be fair, I can't fault Gavin for pointing that out, so, thanks.
I don't think anyone was faulting Gavin, the reaction has been unanimously positive.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Well now this is becoming a spam thread.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

WARNING! Off-topic fun detected!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

You can't fault people for wanting to have a laugh now and then
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Andy Platt wrote:You can't fault people for wanting to have a laugh now and then
I FUCKING CAN :evil: :evil: :evil:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Callum Todd wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
Seems as though Callum and a couple of other have never come across somebody with Dave's phrasing.

"To be fair, I can't fault blah" is just another way of saying something is really good or somebody has done a really good job etc.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Sorry, that sounds like I am having a sly go at Dave for the way he speaks. Thats not what I meant at all, please dont take offence!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:You can't fault people for wanting to have a laugh now and then
I FUCKING CAN :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yes, we all know that Zarte has a soft spot.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

JackHurst wrote:
Callum Todd wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
Seems as though Callum and a couple of other have never come across somebody with Dave's phrasing.

"To be fair, I can't fault blah" is just another way of saying something is really good or somebody has done a really good job etc.
I am very familiar with the phrasing, its usage jars here IMO.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon Corby wrote:I am very familiar with the phrasing, its usage jars here IMO.
This.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

JackHurst wrote:Sorry, that sounds like I am having a sly go at Dave for the way he speaks. Thats not what I meant at all, please dont take offence!
I'm not as 'butthurt' as some on here think; hope I phrased that OK for you clever kids?
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Callum Todd wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:

I think you'll find Countdown Team has been 'faulted' by many on here in the past.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
JackHurst wrote:Seems as though Callum and a couple of other have never come across somebody with Dave's phrasing.

I am very familiar with the phrasing, its usage jars here IMO.
I thought you were mocking Callum initially with your
Or are you just anti-everyone in this thread?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I despise Callum, but no, I wasn't mocking him in this instance.

if Dave's point was simply "thanks for the info, Countdown Team" he phrased it in an utterly diabolical manner.

I'm joking about despising Callum as well, obviously. I'm not anti-anybody in this thread.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:I despise Callum, but no, I wasn't mocking him in this instance.

if Dave's point was simply "thanks for the info, Countdown Team" he phrased it in an utterly diabolical manner.

I'm joking about despising Callum as well, obviously. I'm not anti-anybody in this thread.
How bout now
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

hashtag Team Prees
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Certainly flattered to be considered for such a tournament - thought my onscreen Countdown days were over! I would love to do it but it would have to fit with other stuff and it would also mean I'm putting my unbeaten record at risk, which is always my reason (along with exams) whenever people ask why I haven't done a CoC or similar.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Oliver Garner wrote:Certainly flattered to be considered for such a tournament - thought my onscreen Countdown days were over! I would love to do it but it would have to fit with other stuff and it would also mean I'm putting my unbeaten record at risk, which is always my reason (along with exams) whenever people ask why I haven't done a CoC or similar.
Nobody respects an unbeaten record if you bottle the CoC (see Holden, Beevers)
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Nobody respects an unbeaten record if you bottle the CoC (see Holden, Beevers)
Yeah, true for people on here. No one else though.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote: Nobody respects an unbeaten record if you bottle the CoC (see Holden, Beevers)
Yeah, the rest don't even know they have one.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Innis Carson wrote:
Oliver Garner wrote:
Yeah, the rest don't even know they have one.
Lol xD
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People will love you regardless, Oli. Go for it. No regrets.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark Deeks wrote:People will love you regardless, Oli. Go for it. No regrets.
Unless you don't go for it, in which case, everyone will hate you :D
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Ooooh, pressure.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Woo, super news! Much like Oliver, I'm flattered to be considered, and the scrapping of January modules would help too. :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Any further (publically announceable) news on this? How long in advance was CoC XIII announced?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Any further (publically announceable) news on this? How long in advance was CoC XIII announced?
I don't know about CoC XIII, but the 30th Birthday Championship, which was a bigger event so I expect required a bit more organisation time, was announced in late September 2012, and the first games were recorded about two months after that.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

There WILL be another C of C.

Logistics yet to be worked out as we're not that far ahead, but likely on-screen in Jan 2015 for 3 weeks, so just 16 players and definitely excluding 30th birthday participants, for no other reason other than to give different people a chance to play again. Filming would be in November / December.

:o