Tuesday 17th December 2013 (Series 69, 4th QF)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Tuesday 17th December 2013 (Series 69, 4th QF)

Post by Jack Worsley »

Countdown recap for Tuesday 17 December 2013.

2013... what a year it's been for Countdown! We've seen numerous records being broken, including the octototal record twice, Julian Fell's long-standing record score of 146 equalled and many other high scores. There have been high quality contestants all the way in Series 68 and 69, and who could forget the legendary 30th Birthday Championship? There have also been other fantastic such as the octorun of the very popular Eileen Taylor, the oldest octochamp in the show's history at 74 years young. There's also been a slight format change, a move to Media City and a farewell to the old calculator-style scoreboards. Well, the entertainment for this year is by no means over as there are still four games remaining to crown the winner of arguably the strongest ever finals line up for a regular series.

C1: Champion Bradley Cates (8 wins, 862 points) is a student from Southport and is arguably the best ever non-apterite during the apterous era to appear on the show. He was of course on in 2007 as an 11-year-old and he's making the most of his second spell, with six centuries and a top score of 123.
C2: Champion Alex Fish (8 wins, 798 points) is an accountant from London. He showed real consistency in his heats, with a top score of 112 and nothing below 93. He's been practising on apterous too so he should be a tough opponent for Bradley.
DC: Susie Dent and Richard Madeley.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: P A B O S U G T D
R02: V R L N E I E D T
R03: 50, 7, 1, 10, 8, 3. Target: 105.
TTT: LIMOHAUL - "There's only one U in the answer, but lots of ewes help to make it."
R04: R S J T M A O I E
R05: H A R I N E S X G
R06: 50, 25, 100, 6, 2, 5. Target: 525.
R07: R O T E D I Y S R
R08: T C O F U A K L T
R09: 100, 1, 10, 3, 2, 2. Target: 250.
TTT: NICENESS - "Makes the sweet-smelling substances very irate."
R10: R C E I T S E N L
R11: N O S E P U N R T
R12: W D E F I G B S A
R13: H O N O S E D P M
R14: 75, 25, 100, 5, 7, 10. Target: 595.
R15: B L U E M I S T S (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: P A B O S U G T D

C1: DOUBTS (6)
C2: BOAST (5)
DC: ADOPTS (6)
OT: POSTBAG (7)
Score: 6–0 (max 7)

No DOUBTS about Bradley's offering which hands him the early advantage, although there was a seven hiding in there. Some of you may have been hoping for a final R for GASTROPUB.

Round 2: V R L N E I E D T

C1: INVERTED (8)
C2: INVERTED (8)
DC: DELIVER (7) REVILED (7)
Score: 14–8 (max 15)

Good darren from both.

Round 3: 50, 7, 1, 10, 8, 3. Target: 105.

C1: 105. (10 - 8) x 50 + 7 - 3 + 1 (10)
C2: 105. (10 - 8) x 50 + 7 - 3 + 1 (10)
Score: 24–18 (max 25)

Moving on.

Teatime teaser: LIMOHAUL -> HALLOUMI

Round 4: R S J T M A O I E

C1: ATOMISER (8)
C2: MAESTRO (7)
DC: AMORTISE (8)
Score: 32–18 (max 33)

Alex the accountant will probably kick himself for missing these to eights, particularly DC's as AMORTISE is a term related to his profession.

Round 5: H A R I N E S X G

C1: SHEARING (8)
C2: HEARINGS (8)
DC: SHARING (7)
Score: 40–26 (max 41)

Too easy for our quarter-finalists.

Round 6: 50, 25, 100, 6, 2, 5. Target: 525.

C1: 525. 5 x 100 + 25 (10)
C2: 525. 5 x 100 + 25 (10)
Score: 50–36 (max 51)

Just in case the last numbers game wasn't simple enough.

Richard tells a story about his one-time secret smoking habit. He once went outside for a cigarette but was caught by Judy. He tried to dispose of the cigarette quickly and denied he had been smoking, only for it to blow back in his direction. He has since managed to give up.

Round 7: R O T E D I Y S R

C1: EDITORS (7)
C2: EDITORS (7)
DC: STEROID (7) DESTROY (7)
OT: DERISORY (8)
Score: 57–43 (max 59)

Both score with the same word EDITORS but no one can spot the DERISORY eight.

Round 8: T C O F U A K L T

C1: FAULT (5)
C2: TACTFUL (7)
DC: FLOAT (5)
OT: FUTTOCK (7)
Score: 57–50 (max 66)

Alex takes full advantage this time with a great double DC beater! :o He's been TACTFUL enough to find his way back into contention.

Round 9: 100, 1, 10, 3, 2, 2. Target: 250.

C1: 250. ((3 + 2) x 100)/2 (10)
C2: 250. ((100/(2 + 2)) x 10 (10)
Score: 67–60 (max 76)

CECIL's still in no mood to make the numbers interesting which is a little frustrating for a finals game between two excellent players. Still, at least it's keeping the scores quite high.

Teatime teaser: NICENESS -> INCENSES

Round 10: R C E I T S E N L

C1: LISTENER (8)
C2: ENTICERS (8)
DC: LECTERNS (8)
OT: CENTILES (8) LICENSER (8) RECLINES (8) RETICLES (8) SCIENTER (8) SCLERITE (8) SECRETIN (8) SILENCER (8) TIERCELS (8)
Score: 75–68 (max 84)

Lots and lots of eights here but no nine.

Round 11: N O S E P U N R T

C1: UNPERSON (8)
C2: PUNTERS (7)
DC: NEUTRONS (8)
Score: 83–68 (max 92)

Could this be the pivotal moment? Bradley offers UNPERSON which is deemed to be fine and his lead is now back in double figures. Can Alex fight back again to force a crucial?

OoW: Susie talks about old sayings which are related to body parts.

Round 12: W D E F I G B S A

C1: BADGES (6)
C2: WAIFS (5)
DC: WAGES (5)
OT: BAGSIED (7)
Score: 89–68 (max 99)

This round's very similar to round one in the sense that Bradley's six beats Alex's five and a darrenic seven with the word BAG in it is missed by all. Bradley finds himself on the brink of victory and just needs to score in the next letters round.

Round 13: H O N O S E D P M

C1: SPOONED (7)
C2: SPOONED (7)
DC: PHENOMS (7)
OT: SHOPMEN (7) SNOOPED (7)
Score: 96–75 (max 106)

Game over as both players get SPOONED. Now come on CECIL, give us at least one interesting numbers game, please!

Round 14: 75, 25, 100, 5, 7, 10. Target: 595.

C1: 595. (75 + 10) x 7 (10)
C2: 595. (75/25 + 10 - 7) x 100 - 5 (10)
Score: 106–85 (max 116)

Fine, do your own thing! Alex has some fun by going around the houses while Bradley sticks to the simple solution. According to the solver on crosswordtools, today's four numbers games have a combined difficulty of just 16%! :o :shock: Surely that's the lowest ever for a game with four numbers rounds.

Round 15: B L U E M I S T S

C1 buzzes on 6 seconds to say SUBLIMEST which is correct.
Final Score: 116–85 (max 126)

Bradley completes a SUBLIME performance and registers the highest score of the finals so far. He'll meet the formidable Dylan Taylor in tomorrow's first semi final for his most difficult task yet. Alex has been very impressive throughout his run and deserves a lot of credit too. On the day though, Bradley was too strong.

As you may have read elsewhere, I've decided to call it a day as far as recapping is concerned. I leave you in the very capable hands of semi-finalist Callum Todd for all Tuesday recaps from January. I don't have much advice to offer to my successor except don't leave them as late as I've been doing in recent weeks, obviously. :P I'm sure you'll do a great job. Thank you to everyone who has read and commented on my recaps over the last couple of years and it's cerainly been a pleasure to deliver them to you. I've had the privilege of recapping some memorable games, including Zarte v Dylan, Glen's 141 game, the Series 67 quarter final between Rose Boyle and Liam Shaw, numerous unforgettable games in the 30BC and the conclusion of four superb octoruns. However, I feel the time is right to step down as a permanent recapper, although I may still make the odd appearance as a stand-in recapper. I'd normally say something like "enjoy the rest of the finals" but since this recap's late, you've probably seen them already. Oh well, cheerio and good luck to Callum, as well as Andy McGurn, who will be replacing the outgoing Graeme for the Monday recaps from next series! :D :)

Further summaries are at:
http://cdb.apterous.org/series.php?series=69