Spoilers for Tuesday August 6th 2013 (Series 69 Prelim 23)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday August 6th 2013 (Series 69 Prelim 23)

Post by Jordan F »

The...excuse me, Zarte Siempre is up to 5 wins and 575 points, averaging exactly 115 points per game. Can a 6th? It will not be easy, because we have what could very well be one of the most competitive heat games in Countdown history. Because facing Zarte today is apterite Dylan Taylor. I find this matchup fascinating on paper, because I believe it's handily the highest rated two competing apterites have ever been. (Number 6 vs Number 25 in pro ranks), and for instance Jack and Marcus and Adam and Ed never had to deal with this until the finals. Apterite vs Apterite in the heats isn't necessarily unheard of I know, but I've never seen it to this level in the prelims. Either way, it should be a great match-up, and I hope that if Zarte loses he'll still make the finals, and if Dylan loses he'll eventually get another chance.

I believe Jack will be recapping this later.
Gemma Church

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday August 6th 2013 (Series 69 Prelim 2

Post by Gemma Church »

Ah! Gutted that I will be at work and won't be able to watch the show live - best of luck to both contestants.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jordan Leckonby will be pleased.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Great stuff so far.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

At round 9: Dylan's missed nothing yet!
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Yep, lexplorered the rounds so far, Dylan on 9 maxes after 9
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

We spoke too soon.
CO-MSO every August
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Yep but still a very impressive debut, 14 maxes I think
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Yes jolly well done to Dylan and to Zarte take a well earned rest!
CO-MSO every August
Michelle Nevitt

Post by Michelle Nevitt »

Well done Dylan. Really hope we get to see you back for the finals though, Zarte!
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Wow!!! Never expected to see two greats facing each other in the heats :o Great game, well played lads. Hopefully Zarte you will make the quarters, you are a classy contestant, you hid your craziness well ;) Very well done Dylan, excellent ton debut, that superb form would take some stopping. 8-)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

It's a bit shit that it was impossible for both players to get to 8 wins to be honest :(

Hopefully Z-man makes the finals
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

How far in advance does a reigning champ know who his/her opponents will be, should he/she continue to win? Zarte when did you know that Dylan would be your opponent for a possible sixth game, if you got that far?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Stupidly impressive debut from Dylan, the 6 small solve, SARDIUS, PATRONNE, TONTINE, SAMITI - 14 maxes is excellent at any stage let alone the debut performance. And I've really enjoyed watching Zarte's games who has also produced Countdown to the standard that Dylan was at - 137 - fantastic firepower! I hope that Zarte will have enough wins and points to make the finals and maybe even get to rematch Dylan, but on the day Dylan was too strong and I am expecting great things from him, possibly 900+ octototal, we'll see.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Great debut by Dylan, like others have said, he will take some stopping.

There's been some debate in the past about apterites meeting in heats but whatever your opinions are on that, you have to feel for Zarte as he would surely have become an octochamp but for Dylan. I really hope we haven't seen the last of him, there's always the possibility of a rematch in the quarter finals. Really enjoyed watching your games though, Zarte!
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Echoing what Jack has just said, it was really tough on Zarte to meet Dylan at that stage, but one would have to back him to reappear in the finals, and hope he does after such an impressive run of 5.
The obvious thing to bear in mind is that Zarte didn't meet Dylan by chance, he met him because someone decided he would meet him, and at that stage in his Countdown career.
It happens, as some of us know to our cost, and I'm sure that pretty well all of those involved wish that it didn't .......
Last edited by Phyl Styles on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

SUPER AWESOME DÉBUT, DYLAN!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Getting a 14-maxer on debut against someone of Zarte's stature is super impressive in itself, and hopefully it won't lead to Zarte not being able to return for the finals.

Can't wait for the next installment :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Excellent stuff Dylan, can safely see you pushing for 900+.

Commiserations to Zarte who I thought was entertaining, shame that the luck of draw saw you knocked off sure octochampdom, but I really hope 5 wins will see you back for what could be an epic quarter-final.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Eoin Monaghan wrote: shame that the luck of draw saw you knocked off sure octochampdom

or
Phyl Styles: "The obvious thing to bear in mind is that Zarte didn't meet Dylan by chance, he met him because someone decided he would meet him" ??
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Awesome Countdown skills from Dylan there, hopefully there are some more 6-small rounds in future games for me to enjoy! :)

Excellent run of games from Zarte as well, really unfortunate to be drawn against Dylan as you would have made an excellent octochamp. Like everyone else, I hope you make the quarter finals.

For the 871 6-small game, I did ((10*5)*(9+8))+7*3
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Well done Dylan. Could be nearer 1000 on that form than 900.

Unlucky Zarte, hope you make the finals. My grandma is also gutted for you!

Perhaps you could request a rematch as you didn't get 3 from the bottom in the first numbers game. I didn't bother when it happened to me!
Gemma Church

Post by Gemma Church »

Finally got to watch the show last night - and what a show it was!

Congratulations to Dylan and commiserations to Zarte.

And with that sort of amazing standard the next few games are going to be fabulous - best of luck Dylan.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Impressive debut, Dylan, and commiserations to Zarte, who nevertheless walks away with a few records. 109.33 is the highest average score of any non-octochamp, beating the previous record held by Lesley Hines. The highest total score of any five-time winner was 593 by Marie Hayden, and Zarte smashes that record with 656.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:Impressive debut, Dylan, and commiserations to Zarte, who nevertheless walks away with a few records. 109.33 is the highest average score of any non-octochamp, beating the previous record held by Lesley Hines. The highest total score of any five-time winner was 593 by Marie Hayden, and Zarte smashes that record with 656.
What's the record for combined maxes in a heat game? How many did this game get?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Impressive debut, Dylan, and commiserations to Zarte, who nevertheless walks away with a few records. 109.33 is the highest average score of any non-octochamp, beating the previous record held by Lesley Hines. The highest total score of any five-time winner was 593 by Marie Hayden, and Zarte smashes that record with 656.
What's the record for combined maxes in a heat game? How many did this game get?
This one got 23 maxes (9 for Zarte, 14 for Dylan). Not sure what the record is, but 23's gotta be a good starting step. :)
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Phyl Styles wrote:Echoing what Jack has just said, it was really tough on Zarte to meet Dylan at that stage, but one would have to back him to reappear in the finals, and hope he does after such an impressive run of 5.
The obvious thing to bear in mind is that Zarte didn't meet Dylan by chance, he met him because someone decided he would meet him, and at that stage in his Countdown career.
It happens, as some of us know to our cost, and I'm sure that pretty well all of those involved wish that it didn't .......
Yes, it seems unfortunate that, if they had to meet, it couldn't have been in Zarte's 8th game. But Zarte is clearly good enough to beat Dylan, whilst the majority of contestants aren't, and the Production team couldn't be sure who would win. So in a way it would have been even tougher on Dylan had he lost first time out rather than having the chance of 5 fairly straightforward games first. And assuming Zarte does get back in as a lower seed whoever's in the top 4 will surely be hoping to avoid him in the QFs.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James Robinson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
This one got 23 maxes (9 for Zarte, 14 for Dylan). Not sure what the record is, but 23's gotta be a good starting step. :)
Matt Croy v Andrew Halliburton is the highest for heat games, with 24 maxes between them.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

If you apply the apterous rule that being 4 away when 3 away's the best doesn't count as a max, then it's only 23, that game, Graeme...
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Phyl Styles wrote:Echoing what Jack has just said, it was really tough on Zarte to meet Dylan at that stage, but one would have to back him to reappear in the finals, and hope he does after such an impressive run of 5.

Out of interest, was it any tougher on Zarte to meet Dylan than it was on footballer Rory Coleman (3 wins) to meet Zarte, or than it was on Chris Ball (4 wins) to meet Glen Webb, or Ben Nicholson (4 wins) to meet Jonathan Rawlinson, or Jon Elmer (3 wins) to meet Mark Deeks, or do they not matter because they're not players on apterous?

What exactly did you wish didn't happen?
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Damian has himself stated that in any series the very best players (based on their audition performances) are kept apart, but i don't know how many contestants are seeded in this way in each series. I would presume that in any such decision ONLY the audition performances are considered, because not all contestants are on Apterous. As for when those who are not seeded are scheduled, I suspect that that is fairly random.
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

In reply to the Countdown team, all that I meant was 'these things happen', but if someone, whoever they might be (nothing to do with being on Apterous) has an encounter which dashes their hopes, particularly when they have won a few games, they are certain to have regrets. Perhaps so much of a truism that it wasn't worth saying, but carrying a note of sympathy and empathy towards those who experience this.
Incidentally, I believe Jon Elmer was and is a player on Apterous.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

James Robinson wrote:SUPER AWESOME DÉBUT, DYLAN!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Getting a 14-maxer on debut against someone of Zarte's stature is super impressive in itself, and hopefully it won't lead to Zarte not being able to return for the finals.

Can't wait for the next installment :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Correct me if I'm wrong everyone/anyone, but if you're talking about MAXes then what has your opponent got to do with it, are you suggesting he would have got more MAXes if he was playing against the likes of me?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong everyone/anyone, but if you're talking about MAXes then what has your opponent got to do with it, are you suggesting he would have got more MAXes if he was playing against the likes of me?
A stronger opponent is more likely to beat you to the conundrum, and depending on their preferences may choose more difficult numbers. And then there's the impact of the 'game situation' - the most likely symptom being pressure. But also: as Dylan was playing Zarte he felt the need to go for six small in round 6 which yielded a very tough round; with a comfortable lead he'd have safely picked 1 large.

Conversely: if you're pretty sure you'll win then you may be inclined to go for points over maxima and play within yourself and cost yourself a max game by not risking a valid word.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Countdown Team wrote:

Out of interest, was it any tougher on Zarte to meet Dylan than it was on footballer Rory Coleman (3 wins) to meet Zarte, or than it was on Chris Ball (4 wins) to meet Glen Webb, or Ben Nicholson (4 wins) to meet Jonathan Rawlinson, or Jon Elmer (3 wins) to meet Mark Deeks, or do they not matter because they're not players on apterous?

What exactly did you wish didn't happen?
I've stayed very quiet with anything to do with the draw, but I think this is a good point to put my 2 cents in.

First of all, am I gutted to have had to play Dylan in my aptorun. Of course I am.

Am I bitter in any way about it? No.

The fact is that I have always chosen to believe that the show is entirely luck of the draw. I'm glad in many ways that it is, although obviously I'd have preferred not to have been the proof of that :P

Phyl - please don't take this as any kind of attack on you, as you've explained what you meant, I'm purely quoting a post from the Countdown team and I don't think this applies to you. But I've had so many messages in private saying "Oh you were screwed over" "Oh, someone clearly didn't want you both in the finals" etc. etc.

Cut it out. I don't want to hear it. I had an absolutely great time up in Salford, surrounded for the most part by great people, including the Countdown team themselves who I found to be a wonderfully warm group of people. I don't want that ruined by people telling me how the draw was fixed in any way, because 1) It wasn't. and 2) Even if it WAS, I don't want what was one the greatest experiences of my life ruined by questions of "foul play". It is what it is. I lost to a better player, and yes, the draw was a bit unlucky, but hey, maybe a few years down the line I might be able to have another crack, and possibly live up to my full potential.

But let's have no bitterness or questioning please.

(Apologies if this seems a bit rambly, but as usual I'm writing stream of consciousness)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Allow me to point out the elephant in the room. I think people WANT you to have been screwed over because they like you and not Dylan, so the outcome is unsatisfactory, so blame needs to be placed. A natural if unfair reaction. Agreed with you on all counts, though. Shit happens, and you took the hand you were dealt and played it right. I salute thee.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You make it sound like you're not in the finals Zarte...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I'd say it's unlikely Matt, there's a lot of good players this series. I don't know for a fact though.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Mark Deeks wrote:Allow me to point out the elephant in the room. I think people WANT you to have been screwed over because they like you and not Dylan, so the outcome is unsatisfactory, so blame needs to be placed. A natural if unfair reaction. Agreed with you on all counts, though. Shit happens, and you took the hand you were dealt and played it right. I salute thee.
Who doesn't like Dylan? He's a good lad, always polite and courteous when I play him on Apterous, I enjoy my Apterous games against him, even though he smashes me to pieces in most of them. :lol:

I think what most are surprised about is their earlyish encounter, when usually players of this high standard don't meet till the quarters at least, sort of like the furore of this year's Wimbledon when Nadal was scheduled to meet Federer early, they both lost even earlier so it didn't matter in the end. It's natural to like to see the best play the best nearer the end of a tournament, the anticipation, the build-up, the excitement factor etc.

I always thought there was some sort of rating system from auditions/tests that kept the best players apart for their possible octoruns, maybe it's a random draw this series?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

It's a shame for Zarte of course, but it's only right that situations like this should be a possibility. It would be hard to tell someone who's been put up against a 900+ octochamp in their eight game that it's "just luck of the draw" if apterites weren't subject to the same risk.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Zarte, it's disappointing but not surprising you've had messages from people saying what they did.

As previously mentioned, Rory came up against you and lost, when he perhaps would have beaten your next 3 or 4 opponents and got into the finals himself. If we get 20 above average players in a series and space them out so they don't meet, they can't all get 8 wins each, they simply aren't enough shows. To your credit, you knew Dylan was potentially your 6th opponent and you could have cancelled your recording day, claiming illness etc, but you got on with it and faced the challenge. Not sure why some people seem to be so scandalized about a good contestant on Countdown having the misfortune to come against another good contestant on Countdown. Anyway, nice of you to post in the shows defence and good luck with getting a place in the last 8.
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Commiserations Zarte but well played on what was a very impressive run and it would be great to see you back in the quarter-finals. If it's any consolation, as soon as I heard that I could potentially be up against Giles in a heat, I was convinced that any chances of making it to the quarters were gone. As it happened, I didn't even win enough games to face Giles but still ended up getting to the quarters with only two wins, so anything is possible :)

As Countdown Team said above, I think you've taken it in absolutely the right spirit though and as you said, moaning about it would just sully a great experience for you.

For anyone claiming a fix, I think when Countdown say it's down to luck of the draw, then we should take their word for it. Does anyone actually have any evidence to the contrary? I mean, presuming it is random, draws like this are bound to get thrown up from time-to-time. What about contestants who thought they were good enough to get a teapot and then ended up getting trounced by someone like Glen Webb, Andy Platt or Giles Hutchings in their first game? That's got to be a lot less fun then having a potential octorun cut short after six games.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Zarte, you were really entertaining on the show and there's definitely a chance you'll make the finals. Like most on here I hope you make it.

But i think apterites facing each other in the heats is a good thing. Whilst I didn't face anyone as good as Dylan, I faced Michelle N, Adam Fleetwood, James Hall and Peter McGloughlin and the fact that they were also apterites just made it all more exciting. I remember saying to James Hall before our game that if he beat me that would be fine just as it would if I won and he seemed to have the same view.

Countdown is a great experience and Zarte, its great you're being so dignified and respectful to Dylan and to the show with your comments on here.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Great show, that. I don't see where the controversy is to be honest; luck of the draw and all that. Great run Zarte; I wouldn't be too disheartened about your chances of making the finals. 5 wins with a huge total like that should hopefully be enough, probably higher than 8th seed - I really hope you make it!

Dylan, what a stunning debut performance! Looking forward to more of the same; could be something special brewing here! Looks like a cracking series in the making. I think Keith made an excellent point that the real unlucky sod is the one who may have to play Zarte in a 2 vs 7 Quarter final or something!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

More often than not in recent series 5 wins wouldn't get you in, but I do hope you do get in...