Spoilers For Thursday June 27th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday June 27th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, Giles Hutchings is awaiting for today's winning semi-finalist.

But, the question is, who will it be :? :?:

Our #2 and #3 seeds are primed and ready for battle, and they have been 2 of the most popular contestants of the series.

#2 seed Andy Platt has been thoroughly consistent throughout the series and #3 seed Eileen Taylor has proved that being 75 years old is no barrier to winning on this show. :D

But, can she take her biggest step yet by reaching the grand final :?: :?: Let's see. ;) :) :D

Here are the stats:

Firstly, No.2 Seed Andy "The Salford Superstorm" Platt - 9 Wins, 1,004 Points. (Average: 111.56) (4 Games In 15.3 Format, 5 Games In 15.4 Format)
Highest Score: 120 vs. Josh Young (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 100 vs. Daniel Davies (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 6/8
Total Points/Max/%: 1004/1159 (87%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 688/758 (91%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 276/311 (89%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/90 (44%)

Secondly, No.3 Seed Eileen "The Sydenham Superwoman" Taylor - 9 Wins, 840 Points. (Average: 93.33)
Highest Score: 111 vs. Katie Burge (5th Game)
Lowest Score: 67 vs. Sam Lake (7th Game)
9's Achieved: 1/5
Total Points/Max/%: 840/1158 (73%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 553/708 (78%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 237/360 (66%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/90 (56%)

I'll be around for my final recap of the series later on. ;) :) :D
Last edited by James Robinson on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Thursday June 27th 2013

Post by Andy Platt »

May I suggest an amendment:-
James Robinson wrote:they have been 2 of the most popular contestants of the series.
= Eileen is the most well-liked contestant this series
= Andy is generally hated bar about 10 people on here and 5 people on twitter

;)
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Alt 3rd numbers (100-6)x3+75
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Alt in R11 of POURABLE
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

So with no 75, tomorrow will be better with no 4 large selections!

Thought Andy would make 627 by (((100+50)x75)/(6x3))+2.

Well done to both for a good game.
CO-MSO every August
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

75*50/6+2=627 as an alternative in the last numbers.

I have to say I did think that was all a bit patronising towards Eileen at the end. The subtext was definitely "Well done for doing so well despite being so old at 75! Normally people have completely lost their marbles by the time they're 75, so good on you for still having some brain function left!"
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I have to say I did think that was all a bit patronising towards Eileen at the end. The subtext was definitely "Well done for doing so well despite being so old at 75! Normally people have completely lost their marbles by the time they're 75, so good on you for still having some brain function left!"
Bit harsh maybe - I think the team were just responding to her success and popularity and gave a nice gesture that most armchair fans would really appreciate. I'll have to have a look at how it comes across on TV later
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

I agree with you Andy, I think it was just a nice touch that everyone seemed to take in the right spirit. Congratulations anyway.

I couldn't help noticing that if the I had been an E in the first round there would have been a nine-letter ARSEHOLES. What would they have done if someone had declared it? Scrapped the round and denied them their 18 points?
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Guy Barry wrote: I couldn't help noticing that if the I had been an E in the first round there would have been a nine-letter ARSEHOLES. What would they have done if someone had declared it? Scrapped the round and denied them their 18 points?
I asked this some time ago. The answer was, IIRC, that they re-shoot the round, but rig it to produce the same result, except with an acceptable word.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Heh, I noticed that it was nearly ARSEHOLES too. Maybe change one S for a T?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Very well done Andy, it's not easy being the pantomime villain by beating the very popular Eileen. ;) Well done to Eileen also in making the semis and being one of the stars of the series. :)

Should be a great final with the two big guns through. I think Giles maybe a slight fav on the letters and Andy a slight fav on the numbers, on the conundrum I don't think there's much in it either. Hopefully it will be a top quality tense final tomorrow. :)
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Well done on getting to the final Andy. Another good solid game.

Both Giles and Andy are well deserved finalists. Hoping for a good close game tomorrow.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I have to say I did think that was all a bit patronising towards Eileen at the end. The subtext was definitely "Well done for doing so well despite being so old at 75! Normally people have completely lost their marbles by the time they're 75, so good on you for still having some brain function left!"

Totally agree.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Damn, I voted for Eileen to win in another thread. :( Sad to see her go and I thought it was a fantastic gesture from the Countdown team to honour the oldest ever octochamp, as well as one of the most popular contestants for a long time. Well done to Andy for a solid performance, no surprised to see him and Giles in the final which has looked inevitable for most of the series.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Giles DEFO fave for the potential crucial conundrum, he JUST edges letters rounds for me, as does Andy in the numbers... Hope to see a CLASSIC tomorrow, and also looking forward to the start of next series, where if Glen Webb gets his second best score of around 136, he will top Giles Octo-record!

Good luck tomorrow Andy, as I've mentioned on here before - I want Andy to win, but THINK Giles will edge it on a crucial.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Richard Priest wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: I have to say I did think that was all a bit patronising towards Eileen at the end. The subtext was definitely "Well done for doing so well despite being so old at 75! Normally people have completely lost their marbles by the time they're 75, so good on you for still having some brain function left!"

Totally agree.
Yup.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Richard Priest wrote:

Totally agree.
Yup.
Rubbish
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I don't believe it was intended as patronising (obviously), but it most certainly came across as patronising.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Solid stuff Andy, the final between you and Giles is too close for me to call! Eileen had a decent game too and I thought it was nice that they gave her the 75 tile. Having said that, I was intrigued to see if anyone else had the same thought as me when hearing exactly what was said to Eileen at the end, and apparently a few people have. I agree that it did come across as patronising, but I think you have to bear in mind that everyone was just genuinely chuffed for Eileen and wanted to give her a good send-off - I don't think there was any harm done there. So yeah, I'm pretty much just reiterating what Jojo said about the final being close and what Matt said about the patronisation.

On to the final!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."