Spoilers For Friday June 14th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Friday June 14th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, thanks to a curtailed series and horse racing scheduling conflicts, the Series 68 finals are beginning and ending on the same day of the week. :P :geek:

Glen Webb would have qualified as No.5 Seed if the old yes/no question had been asked, but we're in the modern era, so we'll see him in 17 days time instead. :)

And in case you haven't heard or read, the person who would've been No.5 Seed, Rachael Moran, has withdrawn due to personal reasons, so Peter Fenton has moved up from No.10 to No.8 Seed in double-quick time. :)

But, he's up against the points record holder and No.1 Seed Giles Hutchings, so I'm not sure he'll be that happy about coming into the finals now. :P

But, he is the first person since the Series 36 pair of Roger Green and Malcolm Fairy to reach the finals with just 2 wins. :shock: :o 8-)

Here are the stats:

Firstly, No.1 Seed Giles "The Farnham Firestorm" Hutchings - 8 Wins, 965 Points. (Average: 120.63)
Highest Score: 130 vs. Alan Flanagan (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 111 vs. Nick Holland (8th Game)
9's Achieved: 6/8
Total Points/Max/%: 965/1060 (91%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 609/669 (91%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 286/311 (92%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/80 (88%)

Secondly, No.8 Seed Peter "The Leeds Limper Over The Line" Fenton - 2 Wins, 262 Points. (Average: 87.33)
Highest Score: 93 vs. Eric Uphoff (2nd Game)
Lowest Score: 80 vs. Jean Wright (3rd Game)
9's Achieved: 1/1
Total Points/Max/%: 262/378 (69%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 164/258 (64%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 98/120 (82%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 0/30 (0%)

Join **insert name here** for the recap later. :P
Last edited by James Robinson on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Friday June 14th 2013

Post by Andy Platt »

Want me to do it? Got late shift in work tho so it will be like well late
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

I could bring back the recap made in the United States for a reappearance too if you're not up to it Andy, let me know.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

COOLIES for an alt. in round 2.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

It would be nice of Andy does it as he was sitting in the row behind me in audience, with the Sam and the other finalists,
and could give some of the ambience.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

DOPESTER is the interesting 8 in R7, but I got boring SPROUTED.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Some of the best fishing this series in R10, apart from those by Andy Platt. We were all shocked in the audience
when Giles failed to spot either 9. Suddenly the game was close! Certainly Peter "put on the gas".
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Despite Ms Dent not seeing another 8 in R11 there is one which no doubt Jack will get...
CO-MSO every August
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

That was a fun first game. Well done to Giles, kept your composure even when Peter caught up, I believe he still had a 13-maxer even with those two rounds lost to Peter. And very unlucky to Peter, certainly put up a hell of a fight, I can only imagine all of the apterites gasps when you got the 9 and butties, and I think you cement yourself as one of the strongest 8 seeds in some time.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I congratulated the players for a cracking game on the day. Let's hope the other quarters are as interesting!
CO-MSO every August
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Tony Atkins wrote:Despite Ms Dent not seeing another 8 in R11 there is one which no doubt Jack will get...
MESOCARP? I would have gone for COMPARES though.

Well done Giles on holding your nerve late on and the conundrum speed was amazing. Very brave effort from Peter too, taking it to the final two rounds is no mean feat against Giles. I'm sure you'd have beaten a lot of the other finalists with that performance.

People have often said in the past that 1 v 8 seeds are normally non-events in terms of a contest but the last three have all been fairly close.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

What a game for the neutral! Usually best at the numbers I was even sitting here with Peter's 9 that Giles missed and my gasp was probably as loud as the audience's - together with the ooh's when Cecil delivered his final target! Love how Rachel encourages the tension too. Brilliant.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:It would be nice of Andy does it as he was sitting in the row behind me in audience, with the Sam and the other finalists,
and could give some of the ambience.
Agreed, it's yours, AP. ;) :) :D

3 14-maxers in a row for me :!: :!: (This time it was the conundrum that was my beating, although I thought it was COMMOTION, until I realised during the pause that there were 2 N's. :P :oops: )
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

This was one of the best 1v8 games I can ever remember! Hope it bodes well for the rest of the finals.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

James Robinson wrote: although I thought it was COMMOTION, until I realised during the pause that there were 2 N's. :P :oops: )
Same for me.

Fantastic first quarter final. Well done to both players! :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Martin Long wrote:
James Robinson wrote: although I thought it was COMMOTION, until I realised during the pause that there were 2 N's. :P :oops: )
Same for me.

Fantastic first quarter final. Well done to both players! :)
And me - though I did get it between shouting COMMOTION at the telly loudly, and Giles actually giving his answer. I still gave it to Giles though. I'm nice like that.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Lol, the conundrum was weird, I think we all did the same in the audience. I'd have buzzed at a similar time to Giles but from the comfort of the audience realised it was MONOTONIC just after (I reckon if actually in the game I might not have had the same clear presence of mind)

Can't remember if Giles said he thought it was COMMOTION too at first? (where is he to comment?)
That might have arguably been Damian's idea behind the conundrum, like a nerve test or something.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done chaps very good game. 8-)

I thought it was COMMOTION too. :)
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Well I for one didn't think it was COMMOTION. I didn't get the answer, but still, that's something.

Congrats to both Giles and Peter, you both did great, and it was a very exciting contest to watch. Even with the disappointing lack of hair flips.
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Thanks for all the positive comments :) I wasn't feeling particularly confident before the show and certainly wasn't about 4 rounds in but I am glad to have posted a respectable score and to hear that people enjoyed watching it at home.

Very big well done to Giles though who played a really good game, although I know he was kicking himself a bit after the show for missing the 9 and for not risking BUTTIES in round 13 (a small victory for Northerners I thought :)).

It was a slight shame (for me at least) that the last numbers was so easy as it would have been good to at least make it a bit more interesting. However, I have to say that Giles seems to cope with any pressure very well, so I doubt it would have made that much difference, especially given his speed on the conundrums.

Despite losing, it was great to be involved in the finals and was worth taking part just to be able to watch the other quarters, semis and final :)
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Philip Wilson wrote:What a game for the neutral! Usually best at the numbers I was even sitting here with Peter's 9 that Giles missed and my gasp was probably as loud as the audience's - together with the ooh's when Cecil delivered his final target! Love how Rachel encourages the tension too. Brilliant.
Well, there's zero point relying on Nick to create tension and add knowledge and the odd historical fact about the show or contestants (unless it's written for him), thank God Rachel either realises or is told to do so!
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

I suppose I should add my thoughts to this then :P

For some reason I thought that SEDATION with another T wouldn't stem at all, so I was staring at SEDATION for the whole 30s. I hate double T nines. Then in R13 I had BUTTIES written down, but thought it was too much of a slang word to be in the dictionary. I forgot it meant a food thing.

CECIL was rather nice regarding the 4L targets, then on the conundrum I remember COMMOTION and MONOTONIC as a pair and when I saw the double N I buzzed with MONOTONIC in mind. How close I was to maxing that game...
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

CECIL, you naughty boy! I have to admit that this was the first time I've seen Peter on the show. Well done for giving the highest scoring octochamp ever a real run for his money! Some decent spots from Giles (notwithstanding a couple of nervy decisions (BUTTIES / OVERHEAR) under the spotlight!) saw him through in the end. Some novel pronunciations of COELOM ("seal 'em") from Giles and Susie (I wish she'd read the pronunciation guidelines, which are at the bottom of every page) too! That was quite exciting when Peter got the unanswered 9, made for a good finish, which CECIL kind of ruined. Annoyingly the YouTube preview picture showed Giles with a 57-34 lead, which was a big spoiler, but then Peter made an excellent comeback anyway to let YouTube off the hook a bit!

As regards the conundrum, I also thought COMMOTION initially, only to realise it was MONOTONIC a fraction of a second later. I probably would have buzzed thinking it was COMMOTION though.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."