Friday 19th April 2013 - 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Friday 19th April 2013 - 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown

Post by James Robinson »

So, after the brilliance of last week's 3rd mash-up, it's time for a 4th one in double-quick time.

And this time, our celebrity partners have got a bit of intellect inserted, so this could be a humdinger of a match, with some cool comedy to input as well. ;) :) :D

So, let's get going and enjoy. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown recap for Friday 19 April 2013.

Interesting that before the players are introduced, Jimmy does a little gag mentioned the infamous Jack Hurst/SHITFACE incident, yet he cocks up by saying that he could've added the D that he didn't use at the end for SHITFACED, but in the ODE2r, that is hyphenated. :roll: :oops: :lol:

Team 1: Pointless legend Richard Osman & stand-in captain Lee Mack.
Team 2: Twice Countdown champion Jon Richardson & Episodes actor Stephen Mangan.
DC: Susie Dent and Henning Wehn, who is probably the first German ever to appear on the show. 8-) I quite liked his motivational speech to the contestants at the start too. 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol:
RR: Rachel Riley, who will again be joined by an assistant later..............
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: O I E S H M R A T
R02: 25, 2, 4, 3, 4, 8. Target: 928.
TTT: PEEPATIT - "Craving something"
R03: D O N R I G S A Y
R04: 75, 5, 6, 10, 7, 3. Target: 510.
TTT: YERRCOCK - "You need to give this a good wash after use"
R05: O R T S E E P R T
R06: 25, 8, 2, 7, 5, 4. Target: 392.
TTT: ARSELUBE - "You can use it more than once"
R07: I O L T D I E G C
R08: 50, 75, 8, 5, 1, 9. Target: 896.
R09: A C N E G R O I N (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1 (Picked by Stephen): O I E S H M R A T
Jimmy's Distraction: Reading One Direction annual.

Team 1 - Richard: MOISTER (7) / Lee: MOHAIR (6)
Team 2 - Jon: HAMSTER (7) / Stephen: MASTER (6)
DC: ATOMISER (8)
RR: aerosmith :P 8-) :lol:
OT: AMORTISE (8) HOARIEST (8) ISOTHERM (8)
Score: 7–7 (max 8)

So, it's a good start, after Stephen eventually worked out what consonants were. :P :lol: And, the 2 brainiacs get the 7's, while our Germanically influenced DC get an everyday spot for an 8. Bit of a shame that Rachel's offering of Aerosmith isn't in, but it does remind me of the 1st ODE3 episode and a certainly topic that seems to be a bit topical now. :roll: :P

An ISOTHERM is a line on a weather map or chart connecting points having equal temperature.

Round 2 (Picked by Richard): 25, 2, 4, 3, 4, 8. Target: 928.
Jimmy's Distraction: Waxing on his leg, then removing the strip on 30, to agony. :P :lol:

Team 1 - Richard: 932. Mistake in working. / Lee: 9. Mistake in working. :P
Team 2 - Jon: 929. ((((8 + 2) x 4) - 3) x 25) + 4 (7) / Stephen: 929. ((((8 + 2) x 4) - 3) x 25) + 4 (7)
RR: 928. (25 + 4) x 4 x 8 (10)
Score: 7–14 (max 18)

Oh dear, oh dear. Richard admits to messing up 932, because he actually had 929 by doing (((8 x 4) + 3 + 2) x 25) + 4. :roll: And amazingly Lee messes up making 9 :!: :P :oops: :lol: :D Jon and Stephen get the same 929, while Rachel ("and Jimmy") show us how to do it.

Henning talks about being asked if he dreams in English or German, but he actually says that he prefers silent dreams, where people just get on with their normal jobs. :lol:

Teatime teaser: PEEPATIT -> APPETITE

Round 3 is just Lee & Jon playing along.

Round 3 (Picked by Jon): D O N R I G S A Y
Jimmy's Distraction: Book on how to pull Rachel. :idea:

Lee: SAYING (6)
Jon: ADORING (7)
DC: DRAGONS (7)
OT: ROADYING (8)
Score: 7–21 (max 26)

A bit unlucky for Lee there as he agonises over a 6, and then after Jon declares his 7, Lee then reveals that he had it written down, but was pondering over the illegal adorings, and then completely forgot he had ADORING written down :!: :!: :oops: :oops: :P :P :roll: :roll:

Round 4 is just Richard & Stephen playing along.

Round 4 (Picked by Richard): 75, 5, 6, 10, 7, 3. Target: 510.
Jimmy's Distraction: Painting portrait of a naked Lee and Jon.

Richard: 510. (75 x 7) - 10 - 5 (10)
Stephen: 510. (6 x 75) + ((7 - 5) x 3 x 10) (10)
Score: 17–31 (max 36)

After Stephen's lengthy working out of his 510, Richard gets straight to the point. 8-)

In the 2nd DC stint, Henning and Susie get into a lengthy German conversation. 8-) :geek: :ugeek: (And if there are any German speaking people around who could give a translation, it would be most appreciated. :D )

Teatime teaser: YERRCOCK -> CROCKERY

As we return for part 3, a familiar small podium appears next to the letters board, and occupying it yet again is Rachel's erstwhile assistant, Joe Wilkinson, who because he has supposedly spilt something on his suit, has decided to wear a bright blue matador's outfit, while carrying a plate of corned beef sandwiches. :shock: :o :P :oops: :lol: He also decides to drink strong lager for the rest of the show. :P :P :lol: :lol:

So, for the rest of the show everyone is playing now.

Round 5 (Picked by Lee): O R T S E E P R T
Jimmy's Distraction: Teddy bear's picnic, as well as Joe spreading his arm across the letters for a couple of seconds. :P :lol:

Team 1 - Richard: POTTERS (7) / Lee: PORTERS (7)
Team 2 - Jon: POTTERS (7) / Stephen: REPORTS (7)
DC: POTTERERS (18) PROTEST (7)
OT: PROTESTER (18)
Score: 24–38 (max 54)

After the brilliant spot of STEADINGS by Lee last week, I actually half expected one of our brainy bunch to spot one of the two 9's, and actually it's the 2 brainiacs, who are just an ER away from a 9. Although, even more shockingly, DC then make the same mistake and forget to add the ER to their 7 for the other 9 :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o :oops: :oops:

So, we move onto the next numbers game, which leads to Jon commenting on the fact that when he watches the show, Rachel never draws a cock and balls during the 30 seconds to work out the numbers, so she asks Rachel if she'll do it now, to which she agrees. :shock: (As soon as she gets the numbers game right. :P (Always job first for our Rach, isn't it :?: ;) :) :D ))

Round 6 (Picked by Jon): 25, 8, 2, 7, 5, 4. Target: 392.
Rachel's Distraction: Drawing said cock and balls. :P

Well, luckily Rachel spotted the numbers straight away, giving her at least 20 seconds to work on her masterpiece, giving it the full works, and even finishing off with ejaculating numbers, "as she would want it" :!: :shock: :o :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Team 1 - Richard: 392. (2 x 8 x 25) - (5 - 4 + 7) (10) / Lee: 392. (2 x 8 x 25) - (5 - 4 + 7) (10)
Team 2 - Jon: 392. (2 x 8 x 25) - (5 - 4 + 7) (10) / Stephen: 392. (2 x 8 x 25) - (5 - 4 + 7) (10)
Score: 34–48 (max 64)

And with it being easy, all 4 get it the same way remarkably (well, I assume that since Richard showed Jon his, and no other methods were mentioned), but just for an extra bit of fun with the cock and ball, our Rach decides to use the shaft and the balls to write out her method. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teatime teaser: ARSELUBE -> REUSABLE

Round 7 (Picked by Stephen): I O L T D I E G C
Jimmy's Distraction: Message on paper with feathers saying, "Help me, i'm being held against my will".

Team 1 - Richard: COILED (6) / Lee: umbrella :P :lol: , then delcared 0
Team 2 - Jon: 0 / Stephen: TOILED (6)
DC: DOCILE (6)
OT: IDIOLECT (8)
Score: 40–54 (max 72)

Definitely one of the most bizarre rounds in the short history of 2 vs. 2 Countdown. Richard has 6, while Lee has a dodgy 8, leading to Jon admitting that he was he could pull a 9 together to scare Lee off, but it backfires and instead, he declares ZERO :!: :o But, luckily, Stephen has a 6 which saves him, and then harking back to round 1 of last week's episode, Lee makes up a completely random word featuring just a quarter of the 8 letters.... :P :lol: , so he declares ZERO too.

In other news, a interesting lexically related word appears, but not on screen unfortunately.

An IDIOLECT is a person's individual speech pattern.

So, we head into the final 2 rounds, with the 14 point lead for Jon's team that has been there since round 3 still maintained, so Jimmy tries to urge Lee to pick a good numbers game to try and force a crucial conundrum...................... :roll:

Round 8 (Picked by Lee): 50, 75, 8, 5, 1, 9. Target: 896.
Jimmy's Distraction: Makes a wooden rabbit sculpture.

Team 1 - Richard: 895. ((9 + 1 + 8) x 50) - 5 (7) / Lee: 4000. (9 + 1) x 8 x 50 (0) :lol:
Team 2 - Jon: 0 / Stephen: 894.44444444. :P Mistake in working.
RR: 896. (75 + 50 - (9 + 5 - 1)) x 8 (10)
Score: 47–54 (max 82)

Well, it clearly works. Jon declares zilch again, Stephen's offering with a recurring decimal obviously gets him nowhere........... :P :lol: Lee amazingly offers up 4,000 with a correct method. Shame it won't get any points though. :( But, luckily he has a talented teammate in Richard, who manages to get 1 away, which halves the lead of Jon's team, meaning that a crucial conundrum is now upon us :!: :!: 8-) 8-)

Round 9: A C N E G R O I N

C1 buzzes on 29 seconds to say GROINACNE which is incorrect.
C2 does not buzz.
The answer was IGNORANCE.
Final Score: 47–54 (max 92)

Well, with 1 second to go, Lee buzzes in saying he has the answer................., but doesn't. :P :P After it's revealed, you clearly hear them all saying that they were looking for the -ING word there, which of course wasn't there. :roll: :roll:

So, for the 3rd time, a team involving Jon Richardson has won this mash-up, so that's another teapot for his collection, unless they only get one for the team, then Stephen would probably get it. :D

It's been yet another brilliant mash-up, and one that will probably stay in our minds for a while......... :roll: ;)

I'll be back on Wednesday for the next Robinson Recap. So, till then, bye bye for now. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Statistics Corner

Richard & Lee:
Total score - 47
Raw score - 53
Total % of max - 51
Raw % of max - 58
Total average score per round - 5.2
Raw average score per round - 5.9
Number of maxes - 2

Jon & Stephen:
Total score - 54
Raw score - 54
Total % of max - 59
Raw % of max - 59
Total average score per round - 6.0
Raw average score per round - 6.0
Number of maxes - 2
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Friday 19th April 2013 - 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown

Post by Mark Deeks »

Yes I, uh, love Lexii.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

James Robinson wrote: Interesting that before the players are introduced, Jimmy does a little gag mentioned the infamous Jack Hurst/SHITFACE incident, yet he cocks up by saying that he could've added the D that he didn't use at the end for SHITFACED, but in the ODE2r, that is hyphenated. :roll: :oops: :lol:
Which would have completely killed the gag! I think you have to allow "comedic licence".
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Susie & Henning didn't say anything particularly interesting. I'll have a look on 4od now and see if I can find it again

Edit:
H: what shall we talk about now?
S: i dunno, we could have some fun maybe
H: yeah but just a tiny bit
(some laughs probably at his hand gesture)
H: we're still at work of course
S: (loosely, as she doesn't actually remember to add a verb) we could have some fun with Jon for example
H: nah that'd get too crazy
H: are we going some lovely "drinksy" (alluding to that previous joke) later or what?
(laughs)
H: but first back to work
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

James Robinson wrote: Round 8 (Picked by Lee): 50, 75, 8, 5, 1, 9. Target: 896.

Team 1 - Richard: 895. ((9 + 1 + 8) x 50) - 5 (7) / Lee: 4000. (9 + 1) x 8 x 50 (0) :lol:
I thought Stephen's declaration was a joke, but it wasn't:

(75 * (8 + 5 - 1)) - (50/9)

Really quite impressive in a way!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Guy Barry wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Round 8 (Picked by Lee): 50, 75, 8, 5, 1, 9. Target: 896.

I thought Stephen's declaration was a joke, but it wasn't:

(75 * (8 + 5 - 1)) - (50/9)

Really quite impressive in a way!
That's brilliant. :D
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Susie was clearly writing PROTESTER on a piece of paper and trying to get Henning to read it, but he failed to do so.
Also (75+10)x6 is the most "straight to the point" way to 510.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024