Friday 1st March 2013 (30th Birthday Championship Final)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Friday 1st March 2013 (30th Birthday Championship Final)

Post by James Robinson »

DRUMROLL, PLEASE.......................... :)

Before I start today's recap of the most eagerly awaited match in the history of Countdown, I think a few honourable mentions need to be made. :idea:

Firstly, a big thank you to the 39 contestants who have come to be part of history, along with our 2 finalists, Nicki Sellars, Nick Wainwright, Mark Deeks, Ben Wilson, Nick Deller, David Webb, Jackie McLeod, Steven Briers, Ed McCullagh, Peter Lee, Kai Laddiman, Jill Bright, Martin Bishop, David Williams, Adam Gillard, Sandie Simonis, Paul Keane, Mike Whiteoak, Graeme Cole, John Ashmore, Tom Hargreaves, Wayne Kelly, Mark Tournoff, Barry Grossman, Andrew Hulme, Tom Rowell, Darryl Francis, Chris Hawkins, Chris Wills, Chris Davies, Innis Carson, Christine Hunt, Dave Hoskisson, Neil Zussman, Jack Worsley, Kirk Bevins, David O'Donnell, Jonathan Rawlinson and Jon O'Neill for bringing fun, warmth, intellect, humour and altogether tremendous sportsmanship in these past 8 weeks. You are all a testament to the legacy of Countdown. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

And a nice mention should go out to the 7 previous DC occupants; Dave Myers, Martin Lewis, Margaret Mountford, Mark Foster, Kate Adie, Ken Bruce and Dr. Phil Hammond. May we see you shine with all your talents in DC pretty soon. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Right, now onto the serious business (although you could argue that the attire chosen by both Jack and Conor, suggests otherwise.............. :P ), we now reach the pinnacle of excellence, the match that will decide who is the ULTIMATE COUNTDOWN CHAMPION :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

This match is a battle royale between 2 students of Cambridge University, on one side, Pembroke College, represented by Jack Hurst and on the other side, St. John's College, represented by Conor Travers. These 2 brainboxes are well evenly matched. Jack has a 100% record on the show, with 16 wins out of 16, while Conor has achieved perfection in the last 3 shows :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o

THIS MATCH IS CERTAINLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CALL :!: :!: :!:

But, I can guarantee one thing though, IT'S NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!!

The time for small talk is now over, it's time for the 30th Birthday Championship Grand Final TO BEGIN!!!!!

Countdown recap for Friday 1 March 2013.

C1: Series 63 Champion Jack Hurst (16 Games, 16 Wins, 1,872 Points.) An Apteforumite from Desford, Leicestershire, but is currently studying maths at Pembroke College, Cambridge. To reach the final, he has defeated Mark Deeks, Wayne Kelly (scoring 143 in the process), Chris Wills, David O'Donnell (needing a crucial conundrum for the first time ever to do so) and Jonathan Rawlinson (also needing a crucial conundrum.
C2: Series 54 Champion & CoC XII Semi-Finalist Conor Travers (20 Games, 19 Wins, 2,202 Points.) An Apteforumite and maths student at St. John's College, Cambridge. To reach the final, he has defeated Ben Wilson, Mark Tournoff, then did a perfect demolition of Chris Hawkins, Kirk Bevins and Jon O'Neill (the latter by means of a crucial conundrum).
DC: Susie Dent and Jenny Eclair.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: C G N E A I H P T
R02: L M G O E I S R U
R03: Y T P O I A N L S
R04: D R S E I A T E N
R05: 50, 75, 100, 25, 9, 9. Target: 483.
TTT: ICECLASH - "These large cups have a religious connection"
R06: L M Z I E O N A R
R07: G T S I E O F A I
R08: L H R E O I C T D
R09: V N W E A E C S D
R10: 50, 8, 6, 7, 7, 10. Target: 616.
TTT: HITSACES - "Tell Charlie off about his neckwear, perhaps?"
R11: B K M S I U I E O
R12: R G D U A O X U A
R13: B D S M E A E O P
R14: 100, 10, 6, 8, 7, 10. Target: 945.
R15: H E V A L I A N T (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: C G N E A I H P T

C1: CHEATING (8)
C2: CHEATING (8)
DC: PEACHING (8) PATCHING (8) NIGHTCAP (8)
OT: TEACHING (8)
Score: 8–8 (max 8)

Some lovely early laughs as both our contestants own up to CHEATING :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o SHAME ON YOU!!! :evil: :P

Round 2: L M G O E I S R U

C1: MOUSIER (7)
C2: MISRULE (7)
DC: GORSE (5) LOUSIER (7) MORGUES (7)
OT: GLORIES (7) LOURIES (7) LURGIES (7) REGULOS (7)
Score: 15–15 (max 15)

A reasonably flat round yet again. But, at least the scoring is still at maximum levels. Long may it continue. 8-)

In South Africa, a LOURIE is any of several species of touraco: louries are divided into two groups, the arboreal species having a mainly green plumage and crimson wings and the species which inhabits the more open savanna areas having a plain grey plumage.
A REGULO is any of a number of temperatures to which a gas oven may be set.

Round 3: Y T P O I A N L S

C1: SOAPILY (7)
C2: PONYTAILS (18)
DC: POINTY (6) NASTILY (7)
Score: 15–33 (max 33)

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT A BREAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :o :o 8-) 8-)

That has got to be one of the unexpected 9's of all time, and what a time to do it :!: :!: Conor takes an 18 point lead, and we're only at round 3 :!: :!:

THIS GAME HAS MOVED INTO HIGH GEAR ALREADY. ;) :) :D

Round 4: D R S E I A T E N

C1: RESINATED (18)
C2: DETAINERS (18)
DC: TRAINEES (8)
OT: DENTARIES (18)
Score: 33–51 (max 51)

CHRIST ALMIGHTY!!!! Now Jack has joined in on the fun with a 9 of his own, but Conor gets another one and has already got to a half century in double quick time. :D

Surely, Conor's not going to get a 4th consecutive MAX GAME, is he :?: :?:

A DENTARY is one of a pair of membrane bones that in lower vertebrates form the distal part of the lower jaws and in mammals comprise the mandible.

Round 5: 50, 75, 100, 25, 9, 9. Target: 483.

C1: 484. (9 x 50) + 25 + 9 (7)
C2: 484. (9 x 50) + 25 + 9 (7)
RR: 483. ((100 x 9) + 75 - 9) / (50 / 25) (10)
Score: 40–58 (max 61)

Well, that's someone off Conor's Christmas card list. :P :lol: Jack decides to go 4 large and both he and Conor can only get to 1 away, meaning that the underused Rachel finally gets her chance to shine :!: :D :D :D

So, not since round 4 of his match with Mark Tournoff has Conor missed a maximum. Is this Jack's chance to get back in, I wonder..................... :?: :?

Jenny might not have been the first choice for the finals week, given the fact that she has only been on the show for 1 previous stint. But, she has been in fantastic form and she finishes off this week, and finishes off with a story of the Queen apologising to a head of state in her horse-drawn carriage, after one of the horses broke wind.

Teatime teaser: ICECLASH -> CHALICES

Round 6: L M Z I E O N A R

C1: NORMALIZE (18)
C2: NORMALIZE (18)
Score: 58–76 (max 79)

WHAT!!?? WHAT!!?? WHAT!!?? THREE 9's ON THE SPIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o

I'm seriously gonna explode in a minute if this keeps up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This sort of game is hardly ever reserved for a final, so you'd better make the most of it :!: :!: :idea:

Pretty ironic that the 9 happened to be NORMALIZE. :P :lol:

Round 7: G T S I E O F A I

C1: FIESTA (6)
C2: AGEIST (6)
DC: FOGIES (6) EGOIST (6)
OT: SOFTIE (6) STOGIE (6)
Score: 64–82 (max 85)

Well, here is some normality, half a dozen half a dozen offerings. :)

Round 8: L H R E O I C T D

C1: CHORTLED (8)
C2: CHLORITE (8)
OT: CHLORIDE (8) CLOTHIER (8) ELDRITCH (8)
Score: 72–90 (max 93)

Now back up to the 8's, quite a nice little touch there by Conor with CHLORITE, as apposed to the normal CHLORIDE.

A CLOTHIER, is quite simply, a retailer of clothing.
ELDRITCH is an early 16th Century Old English term meaning eerie, weird or spooky.

Round 9: V N W E A E C S D

C1: VENDACES (8)
C2: VENDACES (8)
Score: 80–98 (max 101)

Well, these guys are clearly the VEND-ACES in the pack. Pure poetry in motion this is. Makes you feel proud to be a loyal Countdowner. :mrgreen:

Susie's Origins Of Words talks about the origins of the phrase, "an albatross day".

Round 10: 50, 8, 6, 7, 7, 10. Target: 616.

C1: 616. ((7 x 10) + 7) x 8 (10)
C2: 616. (50 + 6) x ((7 / 7) + 10) (10)
Score: 90–108 (max 111)

2 very different ways, but then what do you expect from Cambridge maths students :?: :P 8-)

Interestingly, Conor now becomes only the 3rd person in the history of the show to have a score in 3 figures by the end of round 10. :geek:

The other 2 being Kirk Bevins back on his octorun all those years ago, and Jack himself, in his match with Wayne Kelly just over 3 weeks ago. :ugeek:

So, the 18 point lead is still holding for Conor. Is it going to be enough, or will Jack pull off one of the greatest shocks of all time :!: :?:

Teatime teaser: HITSACES -> CHASTISE

Round 11: B K M S I U I E O

C1: IMBUES (6)
C2: IMBUES (6)
DC: BIKES (5) MOUSE (5) SEBUM (5)
OT: BIKIES (6) BIOMES (6) KOMBIS (6) SMOKIE (6)
Score: 96–114 (max 117)

I suppose a really nasty bunch of letters had to appear at some time, and here they are. Just some nasty 6's in the mix here.

A BIKIE is a member of a motorcycle gang in Australia and New Zealand.
A BIOME is a complex biotic community characterized by distinctive plant and animal species and maintained under the climatic conditions of the region, especially such a community that has developed to climax.

Round 12: R G D U A O X U A

C1: GUARD (5)
C2: AGORA (5)
OT: AUGUR (5) GOURA (5) GOURD (5)
Score: 101–119 (max 122)

Now we go one worse than that with five 5's. But, on the plus side, we do have another double ton game, which in fairness, was almost inevitable with these 2 in the chairs. :D 8-)

An AUGUR is one of a group of ancient Roman officials charged with observing and interpreting omens for guidance in public affairs.
A GOURA is one of several species of large, crested ground pigeons of the genus Goura, inhabiting New Guinea and adjacent islands.

Round 13: B D S M E A E O P

C1: SOAPED (6)
C2: POMADES (7)
DC: MOPEDS (6)
Score: 101–126 (max 129)

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHH-------AAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT????????????????? Amazingly, the game is now over, as Jack can only spot 6, while Conor's darrenic 7 gives him an unassailable 25 point lead with 2 rounds to go. (Quite interesting to note, that it's also too SOAP offerings that have led Jack to his downfall today. :P )

BUT, while the contest might be over in terms of the result, something amazing has just reared its head................

If Conor can max these last 2 rounds, then he'll have a score of 146, equalling the all-time high set by Julian Fell over 10 years ago :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o

WE COULD ABOUT TO MAKE HISTORY, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

Round 14: 100, 10, 6, 8, 7, 10. Target: 945.

C1: 945. ((100 - 6) x 10) + 8 + 7 - 10 (10)
C2: 945. ((100 - 6) x 10) + 8 + 7 - 10 (10)
Score: 111–136 (max 139)

The numbers game proves to be a doddle, thankfully. :D

SO NOW, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I IMPLORE YOU TO BE ON YOUR GUARD, AS YOU COULD BE ABOUT TO WITNESS HISTORY IN THE MAKING.............. (yes, it's not going to break the record, but the sight of equalling the record, should be pleasurable enough. :P )

If Conor solves this conundrum now, the highest score ever achieved in the 30 year history of the show will be equalized, and what a perfect occasion to do it too :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

WE'RE ALL WITH YOU, CONOR!!!!!!! LET'S DO IT!!!!!!!!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Round 15: H E V A L I A N T

0.75 BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

C2 buzzes on 0.75 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :o

to say LEVIATHAN....................................

which is CORRECT.
Final Score: 111–146 (max 149)

THIS IS JUST TRULY UNBELIEVABLE :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o WORDS HAVE FAILED ME.

You always hope to see a miracle like this happen, but as we all know, the fate of the letters and numbers means that it very rarely happens on the show, and when it does, it's always the wrong sort of players who get the lucky letters.

But, this tournament has provided us with so many outstanding matches. We've had countless 100+ scores, we've had some double 100+ scores, some breathtaking tie-break conundrum matches, some awe-inspiring letters picks, FIVE MAX GAMES, the best camaraderie I have ever seen displayed within a tournament of this kind, outside of a CO-event, as well as probably the worst dress sense displayed on the show by some people who should know better :!: :P :lol:

But, it seems that like with all good film plots, they've left the best to last with an individual performance of great magnitude from Conor, and a phenomenal defensive display by Jack, which actually broke the record for the highest aggregate score in the process, with 257 points between them.

Jack, you delivered yet more brilliance throughout your run here, and the fact that you had to start off with Mark Deeks in the preliminaries shows how hard a run you've had to go on, but you've kept at it, and maintained that phenomenal record of scoring over 108 in EVERY GAME you've been involved in. :shock: :shock: :o :o 8-) 8-) Big praise to you for your efforts in this tournament, and you definitely merit your runner-up status.

But, there is no denying that the man of the tournament is certainly the still relatively young Conor Travers. It might not have look that way after going behind to Ben Wilson's STOTTY in round 2 of your preliminary match, but after getting (the still debated about) FLORUITED, you never looked back at all, and let's put it as clear as we can get it, the stats don't lie.

In the 90 rounds you played, you got the max in 85 of them :!: :!: You then even had the ability to max 3 whole games in a row, which was in the middle of a combined total of 60 max rounds in a row (from Round 5 of his match with Mark Tournoff to Round 4 of today's game). The fact that you've also defeated 4 series champions along the way also speaks considerable volumes. :geek: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

But, to top it off with this SENSATIONAL performance and to equal the highest score of all in what is arguably, the toughest match of all time, just says a lot about your ability, your desire, your commitment and your passion for the game. It was truly an honour to watch that, if not live, but on the telly. :D

So, while a celebratory presentation is done on the front row with Marcel Stellman, the man who helped bring Countdown to these shores all those years ago, it's now time to prepare to return to normality, as on Monday, the true Series 68 begins, as Rachael Moran returns to see if she can follow on from her 3 victories at the end of Series 67. Graeme will be with you for that.

Statistics Corner

Jack:
Total score - 111
Raw score - 124
Total % of max - 74
Raw % of max - 83
Total average score per round - 7.4
Raw average score per round - 8.3
Number of maxes - 11 8-)

Conor:
Total score - 146
Raw score - 146
Total % of max - 98
Raw % of max - 98
Total average score per round - 9.7
Raw average score per round - 9.7
Number of maxes - 14 :shock: :o 8-)

So, now is the time for me to bid you farewell from this tournament, the likes of which I think we won't see again for a very long time, if ever.

So, I'll leave you with this everlasting memory of the series (I'm sure CTeam won't mind.) :D

And here's to another 30 years of Countdown!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Oh, one more thing......................: When's the box set out? :P :lol: ;) :) :D

See you all next week guys. And remember, KEEP COUNTDOWNING! YOU BE SURE OF IT!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=-16
Last edited by James Robinson on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Bennett

Re: Friday 1st March 2013 (30th Birthday Championship Final)

Post by Arthur Bennett »

ONLY 213 emoticons (not counting the ones in your sig)?!? :o :o

Just kidding. Utterly brilliant recap of an utterly brilliant game to end this utterly brilliant tournament, James. :D ;) ;)
"The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in with a portion of chips, you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them." - Sid Waddell 1940-2012
Rodney Watson

Post by Rodney Watson »

That was a thorough and entertaining review! I won't use any smilies as enough have probably been used already.
I beat Rachel in the numbers game:Wednesday 2nd May 2012 (Series 66, Prelim 77). See this Tweet
I beat Susie with the 9 letter word DERAILING Tuesday 18th March, 2008 (Series 58, Game 51)
Sorry for gloating, these events DO NOT happen often!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Brilliant recap James. And thanks to all the recappers - the standard of recapping these days is very very high. I think apterous is killing recapping.
James Robinson wrote:This match is a battle royale between 2 fellows of Cambridge University...
Just one note to say that for the time being we're both still students.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Conor wrote:
James Robinson wrote:This match is a battle royale between 2 fellows of Cambridge University...
OK, fair do's, I was just using the more generic sense of the word, but I'll gladly alter it for a champion. ;) :) :D
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

James Robinson wrote:
Conor wrote:
OK, fair do's, I was just using the more generic sense of the word, but I'll gladly alter it for a champion. ;) :) :D
Haha, it was a poor joke rather than a correction!