Spoilers for Thursday January 10th (Birthday Prelim 4)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday January 10th (Birthday Prelim 4)

Post by Jordan F »

This is going to be a hell of a series. The standard in just these first 3 prelims has been insane. And we have another good match-up today. This one features two of the youngest series champions. First, we have the series 46 champion, Ben Wilson, who won his series when he was only 18 years old. Secondly, we have Conor Travers, the series 54 champion, who was the youngest ever series champion at 14 years old. Both of them were strong very young, we'll see how they do at an older age.

Join James for the recap later.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Thursday January 10th (Birthday Prelim 4)

Post by James Robinson »

Here are the stats of the wonderkids:

Firstly, Series 46 Champion & CoC XI Quarter-Finalist Ben Wilson - 11 Games, 10 Wins, 1,030 Points. (Average: 93.64)
Highest Score: 102 vs. Jeanette Littlejohn (2nd Game)
Lowest Score: 83 vs. Simon Cartwright (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 1/7
Total Points/Max/%: 1030/1398 (74%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 673/961 (70%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 287/327 (88%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/110 (63%)

Secondly, Series 54 Champion & CoC XII Semi-Finalist Conor Travers - 14 Games, 13 Wins, 1,546 Points. (Average: 102.10) (I've not included the 12-round 25th Birthday Special)
Highest Score: 124 vs. Andrew Christley (6th Game), Paul Howe (Semi-Final) & John Hunt (CoC Prelim)
Lowest Score: 98 vs. Matthew Shore (Grand Final)
9's Achieved: 6/11
Total Points/Max/%: 1546/1787 (87%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 1093/1236 (88%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 343/411 (83%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 110/140 (79%)

Lucky me getting to recap the Deeks v Hurst match and this one in consecutive days. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Last edited by James Robinson on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Another awesome match up. I'm really looking forward to this one! :D
Last edited by Martin Long on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Martin Long wrote:Another awesome match up. I'm really looking forward to this one!:D
Looking forward to it immensely, but I'll be gobsmacked by anything other than a comfortable Conor victory. Sorry Neb.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Tidbit of an interesting fact: a final vowel pick in R1 would have given DEATHLIKE for 9.

Terribly excited by this contest today. Enjoying it already!
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Could you have had VIRAGOES with an E for an equaller in the FORGIVES round?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

SCENES :o
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Round 9: BUTEO (as in the hawk? Subbuteo !!)

Mauro
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Another hell of a game here. Very well done Conor, in particular FLORUITED is one of the best spots I've ever seen. Commiserations Ben, you did very well and probably could have won against a lot of the field with a performance like that.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Another fantastic game - well done both Ben and Conor!!

Mauro
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Another awesome game as expected.

Can someone provide me with the 2nd numbers game selection please? I was channel-hopping when Origins of Words came on and didn't switch back over in time.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Martin Long wrote:Another awesome game as expected.

Can someone provide me with the 2nd numbers game selection please? I was channel-hopping when Origins of Words came on and didn't switch back over in time.
75 3 5 7 9 4 > 359
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Another great game, well done both. Conor brilliant as ever, I like the bit about abstract nonsense and symbols, very true. :lol:

No crucials so far this week, maybe tomorrow will be the first one.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Cheers guys- I knew I'd be fighting an uphill battle before I'd even begun so going ahead early was a shock and a half. FLORUITED was the killer blow- id never even heard of it but suspected Conor had something when I looked over at him halfway through the game. I only had fours when going for UPVOTE and was sure Conor had a five or better, and when you're 10+ down you have to try something at some point. To the extent I was even tempted by AUTOIRONS in the final letters round.

Two things-

'5 small and another small one' just beat out 'any six of your choice from the same row'.

'at least I got the teapot' was a line I thought of immediately after losing my coc match against Tom in 2003 and have been kicking myself ever since for not coming up with it quicker. I finally get the chance to say it and it turns out it isn't that funny anyway. Oh well.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Martin Long wrote:Another awesome game as expected.

75 3 5 7 9 4 > 359
Thanks very much.

When I play Omelette Numbers Attacks, I love selections like these. :D
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

STOTTY was excellent. The Aptoflange present were all way impressed at that. Well done gents.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Yep, cracking game, the early STOTTY set it up very nicely, although the 6 small pick really surprised me given apto-stats on it. I guess the plan was volaitility?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Well played Ben - not as 'comfortable' as I'd anticipated, and I'm sure as Conor would've liked. Totally swung on the niner (never heard of it), as you say the UPVOTE risk got you back within 10 if it came off, and still left you needing two round wins if it didn't, so definitely worth the punt.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

COMMUNARD, EMBARGOED and now BOURGEOIS. Glad I know my politics.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Johnny Canuck wrote:COMMUNARD, EMBARGOED and now BOURGEOIS. Glad I know my politics.
Easter egg?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The thing is, after four great games, I lose the chance to link to this.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Great stuff both of you - unlucky Ben, pretty grand effort.
Ben Wilson wrote:'at least I got the teapot' was a line I thought of immediately after losing my coc match against Tom in 2003 and have been kicking myself ever since for not coming up with it quicker. I finally get the chance to say it and it turns out it isn't that funny anyway. Oh well.
Didn't help that Nick spoke over you too, and continued onto one of the weirdest monologues ever heard on Countdown. I liked your response: "Yes".
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Matt Morrison wrote: Didn't help that Nick spoke over you too, and continued onto one of the weirdest monologues ever heard on Countdown. I liked your response: "Yes".
I'm glad someone else noticed that! This in the same week as his Cuba rant. Someone really needs to tell him to leave off the politics. Either that or just have more judicious editing.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Haha, yeah I tuned out a bit as he went on, but Ben's baffled face was classic: "what the hell am I meant to say to that?".
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Another cracking game, well done to both of you! Conor, you did well to keep your composure after falling behind early on and you came up with some very nice words along the way. Ben, that was a great performance to keep Conor on his toes - STOTTY was an excellent spot. Interesting to hear Rachel giving some context to the relative strength of people within this very strong field of contestants, obviously she knows her stuff.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Jon Corby wrote: Ben's baffled face was classic: "what the hell am I meant to say to that?".
That's the face I had on all 9 of my shows!!
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Great play from both in another fantastic game! Congrats to Conor; that nine was a fantastic spot and swung the game in your favour. Right now I think you're the man to beat. Ben also played very well and to still be in contention against the tournament favourite with two rounds to go is an achievement in itself. Awesome standard so far, let's hope it continues!
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Great win, Conor, but you were lucky to get away with FLORUITED! I agree that ODE lists FLORUIT as a verb, but as the derivation points out, it is already in the past tense ("he or she flourished"), so it doesn't make sense to append the -ED, despite the usual rules for verbs.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Peter Mabey wrote:Great win, Conor, but you were lucky to get away with FLORUITED! I agree that ODE lists FLORUIT as a verb, but as the derivation points out, it is already in the past tense ("he or she flourished"), so it doesn't make sense to append the -ED, despite the usual rules for verbs.
Are you saying it should've been disallowed based on the "ORIGIN" section? Or just that there is some poor lexicography going on here?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Peter Mabey wrote:Great win, Conor, but you were lucky to get away with FLORUITED! I agree that ODE lists FLORUIT as a verb, but as the derivation points out, it is already in the past tense ("he or she flourished"), so it doesn't make sense to append the -ED, despite the usual rules for verbs.
I just logged in to make the same point. There was a similar debate a while ago about EXEUNTS. Is Susie able to disallow derivations of words (other than mass noun plurals) where the definition of the base word makes it clear they are nonsensical?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think the dictionary does have a system of labels for situations where derived forms make no sense. Whether they are applied correctly and consistently is another issue entirely (they're not.)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Clive Brooker wrote:
I just logged in to make the same point. There was a similar debate a while ago about EXEUNTS. Is Susie able to disallow derivations of words (other than mass noun plurals) where the definition of the base word makes it clear they are nonsensical?
I think this is a difficult one. The dictionary says the literal meaning of FLORUIT is "he or she flourished", but just because it's past tense in Latin, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be past tense in English.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

I disagree that Conor was lucky to get away with FLORUITED. When words come into English from other languages, all sorts of seemingly nonsensical (but in fact correct) things can happen to them, can't they?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Graeme Cole wrote:I think this is a difficult one. The dictionary says the literal meaning of FLORUIT is "he or she flourished", but just because it's past tense in Latin, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be past tense in English.
Indeed interesting - I've always thought of it being a synonym of flourished, so floruited doesn't make any logical sense (flourisheded?). I'll accept that logic often takes a back seat in language questions, but we haven't really got usage to back up any assertions: OED doesn't recognise it, and Google doesn't find any meaningful matches. But it was still a brilliant spot, even if it is on the front end of acceptability for CD.

Anyway, whatever, just to say how brilliant this game, and all the others have been - truly riveting stuff so far. I've been glueded to my chair watching each one.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Brian Moore wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:I think this is a difficult one. The dictionary says the literal meaning of FLORUIT is "he or she flourished", but just because it's past tense in Latin, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be past tense in English.
Indeed interesting - I've always thought of it being a synonym of flourished, so floruited doesn't make any logical sense (flourisheded?). I'll accept that logic often takes a back seat in language questions, but we haven't really got usage to back up any assertions: OED doesn't recognise it, and Google doesn't find any meaningful matches. But it was still a brilliant spot, even if it is on the front end of acceptability for CD.

Anyway, whatever, just to say how brilliant this game, and all the others have been - truly riveting stuff so far. I've been glueded to my chair watching each one.
Of course, if it had been disallowed, it would've been 99-99, so a crucial conundrum would've needed..................... :? :shock: :o :roll:
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

One wonders if there was a debate about this at the time that we didn't get to see. We need to remember that acceptability on apterous has no relevance. Sometimes you need to know what a word means, and decide whether Susie will allow it or not. I think she has to go with the dictionary, even if it's a nonsense. I tried to think of something similar, and looked up 'NEE' (born), but bizarrely it's an adjective. So the silent E at the end gives us NEER and NEEST, I suppose.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

David Williams wrote:One wonders if there was a debate about this at the time that we didn't get to see. We need to remember that acceptability on apterous has no relevance. Sometimes you need to know what a word means, and decide whether Susie will allow it or not. I think she has to go with the dictionary, even if it's a nonsense. I tried to think of something similar, and looked up 'NEE' (born), but bizarrely it's an adjective. So the silent E at the end gives us NEER and NEEST, I suppose.
I would hope that Susie wouldn't allow words whose parallel would be 'borner' and 'bornest' (i.e. allowing comparatives of an either/or state). She does allow a little logic to come in the subject of mass nouns that could be ordered in a restaurant, so I hope the same type of reasoning would apply here. It would make the game's link to an actual language more tenuous than it is now.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

David Williams wrote:One wonders if there was a debate about this at the time that we didn't get to see.
There wasn't.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I've now had a look at Oxford Dictionaries Pro and discover that the word has actually been used, so must withdraw my objection :? :oops: :geek:

floruit

Pronunciation:/ˈflɒrʊɪt, ˈflɔː-/
(abbreviation: fl. or flor.)
verb
example:
used in conjunction with a specified period or set of dates to indicate when a particular historical figure lived, worked, or was most active.
The principal German type was the three- or four-voice Tenorlied, which floruited c 1450- c 1550.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

I still don't think that the ODE entry (I'm looking at the original NODE, but I can't imagine it's changed) support this usage, making reference only to its use in formal record-keeping. Using it less formally and introducing derivatives, as no doubt happens from time to time, arguably gets no more support from the ODE than do words like NICERER and MOSTEST, which perhaps are used enough to jusitfy inclusion.
David Williams wrote:One wonders if there was a debate about this at the time that we didn't get to see. We need to remember that acceptability on apterous has no relevance. Sometimes you need to know what a word means, and decide whether Susie will allow it or not. I think she has to go with the dictionary, even if it's a nonsense. I tried to think of something similar, and looked up 'NEE' (born), but bizarrely it's an adjective. So the silent E at the end gives us NEER and NEEST, I suppose.
I'm pretty sure that one-syllable participial adjectives, like born, rent, spilt, etc., are amongst the exclusions from the automatic -ed and -est rule, so presumably NEER and NEEST would fail for the same reason. Perhaps, if you find yourself far enough ahead sometime in the next few weeks and you have the right letters, you could try one of these to see what Susie does. That would be well worth watching.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

PEDANTRY.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Matt Morrison wrote:Great stuff both of you - unlucky Ben, pretty grand effort.
Ben Wilson wrote:'at least I got the teapot' was a line I thought of immediately after losing my coc match against Tom in 2003 and have been kicking myself ever since for not coming up with it quicker. I finally get the chance to say it and it turns out it isn't that funny anyway. Oh well.
Didn't help that Nick spoke over you too, and continued onto one of the weirdest monologues ever heard on Countdown. I liked your response: "Yes".
Since I actually work in pensions I was expecting him to say something like that to me. Now I know why he didn't. I found it hilarious watching him talk at you like that when your job has nothing to do with pensions.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

UPVOTE is now in, thanks (most likely) to the advent of Reddit since ODE3 came out.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 pm Great stuff both of you - unlucky Ben, pretty grand effort.
And it was just as weird the second time round. I came here to post about it anyway, so I'm glad it already got mentioned at the time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So much discussion spawned by FLORUITED over the years.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Preliminary 4 2020 Word Update

The max would have increased by 1 point (from 126 to 127) if played today thanks to a 6 available in R9 that wasn't around in 2013.

Even though there would've been a word allowed now, as opposed to then like with yesterday's show, this time the result wouldn't have altered, as even though there would've been a 10 point swing in Ben's favour, Conor would still have won 113-97, rather than 117-91.

New Words Now Allowed:

R1: ADITHER, AKILTER, RATLIKE, REDTAIL, TALKIER, TRAIKED
R3: AUDIENT, IDEATUM, MAUNTED, METWAND, UNMATED
R8: SUBSCALE, UPSCALES
R9: UPVOTE (increasing MAX up to 6, and would've given Ben more points.)
R12: ONLINER, PLERION
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I could have sworn blind the contestant guidelines sent to me in early 2015 explicitly disallowed FLORUITED, but I can't find anyone who will corroborate this.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:45 pm I could have sworn blind the contestant guidelines sent to me in early 2015 explicitly disallowed FLORUITED, but I can't find anyone who will corroborate this.
Graeme Cole said here that it would no longer be allowed. And here it is being said in the chat logs.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:10 pm So much discussion spawned by FLORUITED over the years.
Personally I see it as an open and shut case, and anyone who thinks it should be disallowed is an idiot and a savage.

No, but really, I'm surprised there was ever so much discussion. 2 of the 3 Lexico example sentences use an inflected form of the verb floruit, so it's clear why it's allowed now. But in the OED example sentences 'floruited' was also used. And I don't see why it's necessarily past tense in English if it's past tense in Latin.

In one of my heat games, the word CHLORINES was offered by DC since it wasn't tagged as a mass noun in the dictionary. This is a pretty clear dictionary error: all the other halogens are mass nouns, and indeed this error was fixed in later editions, but afaik there was nothing in the contestants' guidelines disallowing it until the next release. If so many people complained about FLORUITED, it's only because so many people wanted to show off their own knowledge of Latin without actually knowing how language works.