Spoilers for Thursday December 13th 2012 (Series 67 QF 2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday December 13th 2012 (Series 67 QF 2)

Post by Jordan F »

We end this week with our second quarter final match up, featuring the number 2 seed David "Mr. Mix It Up Numbers Games" Barnard and the number 7 seed Chris "I Want More 3 Large On Countdown" Marshall. This is poised to be a good one as well, this is the first time we've had an octochamp as the number 7 seed in 3 years, and only the third ever time it's ever happened. David and Chris have also been practicing for a long time, so I expect some great spots from both. It's the end of Dave Spikey for now, who I just happened to not find particularly memorable.

On a side note, we are still scheduled to have some horse racing on Friday. In the event that racing gets cancelled, I've been told we'd have another special between two recent successful law enforcement officers, our own Matt Croy and Series 66 contestant Craig Lingard. I probably will not know if this special gets to air or not, so if it does, someone else will have to make the spoiler.

Join James for the recap later.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Thursday December 13th 2012 (Series 67 QF 2

Post by James Robinson »

Here are the stats:

Firstly, No.2 Seed David "The Ross-On-Wye 'Recking Ball" Barnard - 8 Wins, 771 Points (Average: 96.38)
Highest Score: 111 vs. Arthur Sharpe (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 87 vs. Snigdha Tiruvuru (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 4/6
Total Points/Max/%: 771/1011 (76%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 527/694 (76%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 194/237 (82%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/80 (63%)

Secondly, No.7 Seed Chris "The Brighouse Bomber" Marshall - 8 Wins, 682 Points (Average: 85.25)
Highest Score: 98 vs. Adam Stevens (4th Game)
Lowest Score: 73 vs. Simon Ricketts (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 1/5
Total Points/Max/%: 682/1010 (68%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 460/690 (67%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 192/240 (80%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 30/80 (38%)
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

HIDEOUTS for 8 in R1

Great game from David. Will be very difficult to beat I suspect.
Last edited by John Garcia on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

I tried ARTESIANS for 9 in round 2, but I found out apparently you can't pluralize it.

I am pretty sure you can have POUTINES in round 3 though.

Very well done to David, showing why you were the number 2 seed with some great spots. Unlucky Chris, you came up against a very tough opponent on strong form that day.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Very well played David. You and Paul have really shown why you're the top two seeds. Well done to Chris too who has been a strong player throughout his run and was unlucky to run into David in this form.

BEAUTER in round 7 and OUTSPEND in round 3.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Lots of wordy stuff thru rounds 6-9!
Round 6: ELASIPOD but not EPISODAL*. Altho SPOLIATED is not allowed :-(
Round 7: EMBRAVE* another word not there
Round 8: GALJOEN brill word never seen before (in OED3 but not in Collins) [Did he not used to play for Ipswich Town? :D ]
Round 9: ENGAOL* you can put this one in jail too !!

Round 11: CAIMAC* (CAIMACAM) is a Turkish officer... but not in OED3

Well done David, hard luck Chris.

Mauro
Last edited by szodiac on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Chris yesterday wished that I enjoy the show, and I did especially when I got 8 points off of David
with EXORDIAL. Did the last numbers using the 29x10+15 method just to be awkward.

Was a bit worried by Mr Spikey's observation that OUTSIDE and TEDIOUS had come up earlier in
the week, when it was only two rounds before!

Anway very well done David for a strong showing.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Tony Atkins wrote:Chris yesterday wished that I enjoy the show, and I did especially when I got 8 points off of David
with EXORDIAL.
Can't remember who declared first. David was 38 points in front with 38 available. Had Chris declared 9 and David not, Chris may have got both numbers and conundrum to go into a conundrum decider. David may have played safe and secured the win with a 'safe' EXORDIA :)

Mauro
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Well played guys, another good quarter-final. GALJOEN was particularly impressive, David, well played!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Quite interestingly Chris did a reverse Keith Bush in today's game................: http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_4959
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

The audience got it as intercept. Keith Bush and I both got DISPUTE as well :)

Thanks for the good build-up Jordan.
Thanks for the stats James. Best 2 in the last 8 on the numbers?

I had POUTINES written down but the day before filming I remembered it not being a word http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... #r12184536 but for the wrong reason! I also had DARIOLE in R13 but these wouldn't have made much difference anyway as David was far superior on the day. I'd have much preferred the tougher letters of the first quarter-final where I got 9 maxes (4 today), but would still have lost to Paul anyway.

David had EXORDIAL written down but stuck with the 7. I was looking for a 9 for an amazing comeback!

It's been a great experience from start to finish and I'd recommend it to anyone. A couple of very good nights out too after filming the finals!

Things I'll be remembered for:-
1. Being an octochamp
2. Being 1 of 6 people in the history of the show to misdeclare a 4
3. 80/80 (100%) on 3 large. Possibly a record, largely because it hardly gets picked!

PS Did anyone see the 2 small errors go to air today?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Chris Marshall wrote:3. 80/80 (100%) on 3 large. Possibly a record, largely because it hardly gets picked!
*interrogates database*

While loads of players have a perfect record on 3 large, all but four of them only played one or two 3 large rounds. David O'Donnell got 30/30 on 3 large, and Alastair Armstrong picked 3 large four times and got 40/40.

Of the players with a perfect 3-large record, the highest score is 80/80. You're one of two players to have achieved that - the other is Mark Tournoff. But you did it in fewer games. :-)
Conventionally we call them 4 large errors. :D

(No.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:Of the players with a perfect 3-large record, the highest score is 80/80. You're one of two players to have achieved that - the other is Mark Tournoff. But you did it in fewer games. :-)
Alternatively, Mark kept his record over a greater number of games.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Chris Marshall wrote:The audience got it as intercept.
Yes, I "buzzed" with this too. Although Michelle was the only one in the audience to solve this but Jay wouldn't allow her to answer since we were due to record.
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Chris Marshall wrote:
Conventionally we call them 4 large errors. :D

(No.)
Rachel didn't pick 3 from the bottom as requested (though I didn't care really).
Susie made reference to "today and tomorrow" but there was no tomorrow's show.

A tie with Mark is good enough for me.

Well done to Michelle!

Also worth noting this was the last ever normal series game to be filmed in standard definition.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

I went for exordia because I was completely sure that was in, I knew I had a high score chance so as soon as I heard Chris declare 7, I obviously went for the 7. My game is very up and down (as a lot of you know) and Chris was unlucky to meet me on my good day, I knew what he could do though and picked 1 large out of respect for his numbers game, just to guarantee the 10 points for me. Roll on the semi-final
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Yes, I "buzzed" with this too. Although Michelle was the only one in the audience to solve this but Jay wouldn't allow her to answer since we were due to record.
What's all that about? If many people had put their hands up I could understand them wanting to pick a new face who hadn't been on the show before rather than one of the apto-crowd, but I don't see the harm in letting Michelle have it if she's the only one who solved it. At least once during Jeff's time the audience member who answered the conundrum was the following day's contestant, and I'm not sure why it's a problem.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
What's all that about? If many people had put their hands up I could understand them wanting to pick a new face who hadn't been on the show before rather than one of the apto-crowd, but I don't see the harm in letting Michelle have it if she's the only one who solved it. At least once during Jeff's time the audience member who answered the conundrum was the following day's contestant, and I'm not sure why it's a problem.
Who's Jay anyway? This isn't just for the "in crowd" Ryan!
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
During the S61 finals, they told Kirk not to raise his hand in the first QF, and then let him answer the conundrum in the very next game. I think they just make it up as they go along.