Spoilers For The Stelling Swansong (Series 65 Grand Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For The Stelling Swansong (Series 65 Grand Final)

Post by James Robinson »

So, it has come to this. The 672nd and last episode of Countdown to be presented by Robert Jeffrey Stelling of Peterlee, County Durham. :ugeek:

He has brought joy to all us viewers (even those who don't support Hartlepool United, or even care about football at all.), and when today's show comes to an end, just before 4 o'clock, many of us will shed a tear as he returns to Sky, but let's enjoy this grand final as much as we can. From what my internal sources and looking at C4Countdown's Twitter feed, this show is something MEGA UNMISSABLE!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

We might have been robbed of the final that most of us were expecting, but on the plus side, we're all probably going to root for the same person. :D

This will be the first #2 v #4 final since Richard Brittain beat Tony Warren in Des Lynam's final show in Series 55. So, will history repeat itself, meaning the #2 seed will win, or will Carl spoil the party :?:

Just so you know, in case you have decided to live in a cave for the last 8 days, this final is between the #2 Seed, our very own Graeme "Jools" Cole and the #4 seed.............., whose name has escaped me.

Here are the stats for your visual enjoyment :D :

Firstly, No.2 Seed Graeme Cole - 10 Wins, 1,022 Points
Highest Score: 125 vs. Mike Linnell (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 91 vs. Justin Maelzer (7th Game)
9's Achieved: 4/5
Total Points/Max/%: 1022/1228 (83%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 710/834 (85%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 272/294 (93%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/100 (40%)

Secondly, No.4 Seed Carl Williams - 10 Wins, 901 Points
Highest Score: 116 vs. Beth Tafat (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 62 vs. Campbell Ure (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 2/7
Total Points/Max/%: 901/1259 (72%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 641/862 (74%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 220/297 (74%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/100 (40%)

So, I'll leave you in the hands of Mike Brown to review this final episode of Series 65, 2011 and Jeff Stelling on Countdown.

LET'S HOPE IT'S AS GOOD AS IS BEING CLAIMED. ;) :) :D
Last edited by James Robinson on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For The Stelling Swansong (Series 65 Grand Fina

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:No.2 Seed Graeme Cole - 910 Wins, 1,022 Points
Go Go Gadget Graeme!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
James Robinson wrote:No.2 Seed Graeme Cole - 910 Wins, 1,022 Points
Go Go Gadget Graeme!
Ooops, winning some games with just 1 point is pretty something, isn't it :?: :oops: :lol:
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Factoid: No one has ever won a 15-round series after being seeded anything lower than #3. :ugeek:

Good luck, guys, and happy Countdown retirement to Jeff.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:we're all probably going to route for the same person. :D
:(
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

James Robinson wrote:let's enjoy this grand final as much as we can. From what my internal sources and looking at C4Countdown's Twitter feed, this show is something MEGA UNMISSABLE!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
[...]
our very own Graeme "Jools" Cole [...] for your visual enjoyment :D
[...]
LET'S HOPE IT'S AS GOOD AS IS BEING CLAIMED. ;) :) :D

WATCH THIS GAME
. Also, listen out for someone in the audience shouting "come on Graeme" and "we love you Graeme".
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

This made me smile.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

I think every great TV show (or film) needs to have a mega bad guy that everybody hates, but then he gets his comeuppance in the end. Its also like the main event of wrestlemania when the hated heel finally falls to the champion babyface.

I don’t know the result but I bet that this is what we are going to see on countdown today.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Go Graeme!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm gonna disappear off the forum now so there's no chance I can catch a spoiler before I watch this later.

I just wanna tell you Graeme: Good luck. We're all counting on you.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I really hope Graeme wipes the smug, self-satisfied smile off Carl's face by thrashing him 140-0 or something like that... Good luck!
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Tom Barnes
Rookie

Post by Tom Barnes »

C'mon Graeme!
John Brackstone
Rookie

Post by John Brackstone »

Is amazons allowed or is it capitalised?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It's allowed.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Am I losing it or was there another letters round before the break there with no explanation as to why?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Am I losing it or was there another letters round before the break there with no explanation as to why?
There was indeed, I was just as surprised as you just then. It all happened in the right order, but they seem to have put round 6 into part 1.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:Am I losing it or was there another letters round before the break there with no explanation as to why?
There was indeed, I was just as surprised as you just then. It all happened in the right order, but they seem to have put round 6 into part 1.
So when it was filmed Jon Culshaw's section was before that round?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Presumably trying to free up some time for a Stelling tribute.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

TAPENADE (round 9?)
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

NUCLEONS (round 11)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Oliver Garner wrote:NUCLEONS (round 11)
I got that, but would have only risked it as I couldn't find a seven, other than NUCLEON of course.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

WOO! :D
cheers maus
Tom Barnes
Rookie

Post by Tom Barnes »

Absolutely superb, congratulations Graeme!
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

That was an amazing game. Could hardly've been better. I wasn't expecting for you to go for six small at the end, but it paid off. The 806 was very, very good. Is that optimal? I think Jeff might not have been kidding when he said it was impossible; perhaps Damian put the numbers in and told him.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

YIKES!!! Graeme, you had me worried the whole way, I was shouting at the screen on the conundrum for you to get it. Many congrats, 8-) :D very exciting but nerve-wracking game to watch.

Well done to the Countdown team for another great series, and special thanks to Jeff for all the great memories.
Ned Pendleton

Post by Ned Pendleton »

What a brilliant game. I had no idea about the result. I was cheering on Carl a bit just because I'd like to see a non-Apterite win a series at some point (if he is a non-Apterite?) but couldn't help feeling massively pleased for Graeme when I saw how relieved he was when he knew he'd spotted GALVANISE. Great effort, well done.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Quality. Well done Graeme. And, maybe it's just cause he didn't win, but Carl went up in my estimation. His grinning didn't seem as inane as it had before. But anyway, mucho congratulations Graeme. Top man.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Martin Gardner wrote:That was an amazing game. Could hardly've been better. I wasn't expecting for you to go for six small at the end, but it paid off. The 806 was very, very good. Is that optimal? I think Jeff might not have been kidding when he said it was impossible; perhaps Damian put the numbers in and told him.
Yes it is impossible (have checked with solver). One away is the best you can do with 7,9,9,5,4,4 and 807.

p.s. Nice one Graeme. Thoroughly deserved!

p.p.s. I think Jeff Stelling has been an excellent host.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Oh come on Carl! I got 810!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Greatest series final I've ever seen. Absolutely phenomenal, a fantastic solve for both the last numbers and the conundrum Graeme. (And the 1st conundrum too Carl.) I was so nervous watching the whole thing and literally did a fist pump (the first time ever) when Graeme buzzed, just because it meant so much to him - it was great to watch you and you're definitely a worthy champion.

Also, like I said in his semi-final, you can call him a cheat or whatever, but Carl was also a worthy runner-up, he looked composed at the end, and Mark may have been off form on Wednesday, but he certainly played his part in today's final.

Jeff has been brilliant too, it's gonna be really sad to see him go and I hope Nick can do as good as a job as Jeff has done.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Oh come on Carl! I got 810!
He wouldn't have got the points even if he had got 810 - and it was the second/third last round in a series final.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Awesome. Pulling off that final 6 small solve in such a tense situation has to be one of the all-time greatest Countdown achievements. Fantastically well done Graeme, you've been great to watch and you truly earned the title, not just for being a great player, but for holding your composure so well when things just weren't going your way. Congratulations!

Also, credit where credit's due, Carl did extremely well to get as far as he did, and was very magnanimous in defeat. Great player, and definitely the most successful troll this forum has ever seen.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Yes Carl certainly made it a final to remember so you have to give him credit for that.

There's an article on Carl here:

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Former ... 122011.htm
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

You couldn't have wished for a better final and last contest for Jeff - even if had all been scripted. Congratulations to both, but especially Graeme, for a magnificent game. That last numbers, and the two conundrums were just brilliant.

Maybe it was my imagination, but Jeff seemed to be asking Carl first for declarations more often than Graeme, and the ^BUDA appeared to be a wing-it answer. But other than that Carl played really well. His competitive spirit was shown by the look on his face when Graeme also declared 9 on the WORRISOME round.

But he and Graeme are both quality players of the game, and gave us a truly legendary final. Thanks both, and to Jeff, of course.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Carl Williams wrote:I knew I couldn’t beat him on ability as such, so I knew I had to outplay him.
What does that even mean? I had changed my opinion of him but he's just ruined it now.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Seconded all that's been said. A truly nail-biting last couple of rounds, a well-deserved win for Graeme, genuine grace in defeat from Carl and a marvellous tribute to Jeff. Oh, which reminds me - that wasn't MWM in the audience at the start was it, holding up the last letter of UNBELIEVABLE about half an hour after everyone else?

One other thing: I know you'd expect me to say this, but on first viewing I genuinely read the first Conundrum scramble as TIE ME UP LAD. :roll:
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Brilliant final. Well played to both contestants. Justice done though.

Many congratulations Graeme, very well deserved, you've been a great contestant all through.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Mark James wrote:
Carl Williams wrote:I knew I couldn’t beat him on ability as such, so I knew I had to outplay him.
What does that even mean? I had changed my opinion of him but he's just ruined it now.
Where did you find this? It's not in this thread anyway.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

So yeah, that's how it happened.

That conundrum buzz was even more over-the-top than I remember it. I didn't even remember anything between pressing the buzzer and seeing the flippything turn over, but I was told I answered in a comically high-pitched way. As it happened it wasn't as squeaky as I was expecting.

There's so much more to tell about this game that you didn't see, mostly about the last few rounds. Mark was in the green room for most of the game, and came in through some kind of secret door behind the set (apparently the audience entrance) just before the first conundrum. You only saw a few seconds between Carl getting AMPLITUDE and the second conundrum starting, but in reality it was about two or three minutes, Mark reckons longer. At the start of the previous recording day Carl had said how his dream was to win on a tie-break conundrum, and while waiting for it I was really thinking that's what would happen. So I spent the time practising buzzing on the table with a finger that I couldn't feel.

The last numbers game I got because I remembered 63*13 = 819 from one of my heat games. I've kept that big sheet of paper from the numbers board.

Anyway, huge thank you to everyone. I said at the time I didn't bring anyone with me, which was true, but that doesn't mean I had no support. Adam Gillard, Ryan Taylor, Michelle Nevitt, Andy Platt (he's the one lifting up the E, Phil), Matt Morrison and Chris Davies were all there, along with some other people I might have forgotten (I think Mike Brown was lurking somewhere), and in those few minutes when they were changing the conundrum it was comforting to know that they all wanted me to win, like all the other finalists in the audience. Thanks for travelling from all across the country to watch.

This final was just as notable for who wasn't there as for who was. I don't mean any disrespect to Carl at all - I think stories about him have been exaggerated - but I'll say again that Mark deserved to be there. You all know how much practice he's put in over the last six months: to summarise, I've been on apterous a year longer than Mark, and Mark's 17th on the "most time played" list while I'm not even on it. For all the effort he put in, and all the time he spent outside apterous learning new words, and how he's been living Countdown for half a year, as well as the general comic relief and banter he gave to the show, particularly in his quarter final - all that, even before we get on to how good he is at the game - no matter who won, Mark was always going to be the player of the series, and he still is. Looking forward to seeing you again at the next co-event, Mark.

And lastly, I know I'm not the first person to say this, and I hope I won't be the last. There were a few moments in this game where I thought I wouldn't get to say it at all. Charlie, you've done it again. You might not have won your series, but you've as good as won six since then. You've said before that apterous wouldn't be anything without the people who play on it, which is true. Everyone's played their part. But outside of the actual production team, you must be the one individual who's done the most for Countdown over the last few years, and *the* reason I managed to win a show that's a national institution, one I first watched when I was too young even to remember it. Thanks again.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ah, bless. Delighted for you Graeme.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I just wanna tell you Graeme: Good luck. We're all counting on you.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

@Graeme like.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

What a fantastic show, a great final, and an awesome send-off for Jeff. Congratulations to Graeme for being series champion, but also I have to say congratulations to Carl for reaching the final. Like Mark James said, he went up massively in my estimation today - to lose on a tie-break conundrum like that, but be so graceful and magnanimous in defeat, surprised me. Well played.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Lost for words.......amazing final, almost like Gallen/Tournoff again. Wish I'd been there but couldn't get the day off. Very fitting for Jeff's last show too.

Well done Graeme, great performance.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Despite not actually getting the show where I live, I'll remember this one for ages. Well done to the champion. Bring on a surprise CoC XIV!

Very pleased to get the first conundrum after only 9 seconds.

2nd Numbers Alternate: ((7 - 1) x 10 + 1) x 10 - 2 = 608
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:What a fantastic show, a great final, and an awesome send-off for Jeff. Congratulations to Graeme for being series champion, but also I have to say congratulations to Carl for reaching the final. Like Mark James said, he went up massively in my estimation today - to lose on a tie-break conundrum like that, but be so graceful and magnanimous in defeat, surprised me. Well played.
Exactly. When Carl got AMPLITUDE I almost believed he'd got THWARTING in 30 seconds. Nerveless under pressure. But the right winner in the end. Congratulations, Graeme.

What are these Champions League tickets that Rachel wants Jeff to get for her, BTW?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:When Carl got AMPLITUDE I almost believed he'd got THWARTING in 30 seconds.
I haven't been back to check, but I don't think I accused him of not doing that at the time (although he did confess to it the other day) - as you say, he looked completely natural answering (cf RASPILLED)
David Williams wrote:What are these Champions League tickets that Rachel wants Jeff to get for her, BTW?
Haha yeah, I thought that was quite unfortunate!
Last edited by Jon Corby on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

A great final. I was rooting for Graeme because I feel I know him from Apterous, but Carl played his part and was gracious in defeat.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Reading 1 - rest of the world 0!
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Blumming heck, THAT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

That IS definitely the best final I've ever seen, and the perfect send-off for Jeff. I backed Graeme all the way, even though I was probably expecting Mark to beat him in the final, so when Mark lost, I thought, "Hmmmmm, maybe it might happen after all!" :)

When Graeme went behind, I thought "Surely not!!!", but luckily my mind was soothed, even though I had a feeling that when the gap went up to 10 after the last numbers, I just had the feeling that a 2nd conundrum was in our midst.

But, soon as I solved it, I was certain that Graeme would solve it, and jumped for joy when he did, well I would have done, if I didn't have a laptop on my lap, so I sort of did the celebration that I did when I won at CoChest. (As most of you weren't there, basically I sort of went completely mad while punching my fists in the air and shouting "Yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" very loudly.) :lol:

Still, that was a brilliant end to the day, after my audition earlier this afternoon, and hopefully when it returns in January, Nick Hewer can carry on where Jeff has left off.

Definitely a sad day as well as a joyous one, but Jeff got his fitting finale, and I hope that he'll continue his good job on Sky Sports. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Oh, and well done again, Graeme. Very worthy champion. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Best conundrum buzz ever, Graeme - loved it. Congrats to you, and well played Carl as well - really good final.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

James Robinson wrote:When Graeme went behind, I thought "Surely not!!!"
Picture. I. Did. Not. Want. In. My. Head.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

James Robinson wrote:Blumming heck, THAT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

That IS definitely the best final I've ever seen, and the perfect send-off for Jeff. I backed Graeme all the way, even though I was probably expecting Mark to beat him in the final, so when Mark lost, I thought, "Hmmmmm, maybe it might happen after all!" :)

When Graeme went behind, I thought "Surely not!!!", but luckily my mind was soothed, even though I had a feeling that when the gap went up to 10 after the last numbers, I just had the feeling that a 2nd conundrum was in our midst.

But, soon as I solved it, I was certain that Graeme would solve it, and jumped for joy when he did, well I would have done, if I didn't have a laptop on my lap, so I sort of did the celebration that I did when I won at CoChest. (As most of you weren't there, basically I sort of went completely mad while punching my fists in the air and shouting "Yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" very loudly.) :lol:

Still, that was a brilliant end to the day, after my audition earlier this afternoon, and hopefully when it returns in January, Nick Hewer can carry on where Jeff has left off.

Definitely a sad day as well as a joyous one, but Jeff got his fitting finale, and I hope that he'll continue his good job on Sky Sports. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Oh, and well done again, Graeme. Very worthy champion. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Audition for what James?
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Absolutely brilliant game, and very well done to Graeme on (just about) keeping the Apterous record going!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Douglas Wilson wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Still, that was a brilliant end to the day, after my audition earlier this afternoon, and hopefully when it returns in January, Nick Hewer can carry on where Jeff has left off.
Audition for what James?
Me and Rich have auditioned for the new Blockbusters that Challenge are reviving in the New Year.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Blockbusters is coming back? This is cool news.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Yeah, fuck that Graeme guy, more about the Blockbusters please.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

What a great final - the best I have seen in many a year.
Well done Graeme. I honestly was expecting a COLE - DEEKS final so didn't really give this guy a chance but he proved a worthy opponent and seemed a very good loser.
Going to wish Jeff next series , so shocked to know he had been there three years. - lets hope Nick Hewer beds in well and stays for a long time.
Lisa Hermann
Rookie

Post by Lisa Hermann »

Reading 1 - rest of the world 0!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reading rocks!!!!!!!

Lisa (lived in Tilehurst from 1967-1983)
PS - Is ADUKI a proper word? (Thinking of beans)