L33T Scrabble

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

L33T Scrabble

Post by Michael Wallace »

(for the L33T unitiated)

So the wife and I purchased a set of leettiles - which arrived last week and are rather delicious. The website outlines the 'rules' of leet scrabble, but I'll summarise the main differences below to save you having to find it all yourself.

There are 5 'number' tiles, namely 0, 1, 3, 4 and 7, which can be played instead of O, I, E, A or T, respectively. These tiles are all worth 2 points, rather than the 1 of their counterparts, however.

There are now 4 X tiles, which are only worth 3, and can be used instead of CKS in any word.

PH can be played instead of F.

There are 3 Zs (or at least, there were in our set, you're meant to get 2, apparently) which are only worth 2, and can be used instead of an S at the end of a word only (e.g. CATZ).

You can play 0R instead of RO in the middle of any word (e.g. FR0K).

J is worth 6.

Instead of blanks, you have asterisks, for reasons at least some of you will hopefully appreciate.

The letter distribution is obviously slightly changed. This is a picture of our set. The number of number tiles appears to have been selected so that there is still the same total number of that letter as in a regular set (so there are four As, five 5s giving 9 'A' tiles overall). There are also only two S tiles, which just about makes sense if you treat two of the Zs as Ss (as they have that property occasionally), which then leaves 1 Z tile, like a regular set.

Finally, a word made up entirely of so-called 'leet' tiles - 0, 1, 3, 4, 7, Z or *) scores double, which can be quite helpful, especially in combination with premium squares.

They're also quite sexy tiles (if you ask me).

We've had a few games with them (e.g.), but are not especially experienced players ourselves, so I thought I'd share this with you lot. One thing I've wondered is the significance of only one 10-point tile (Q), with the next highest value being 6 (J) and 5 (K). We're currently trying to put together our own word list, as there is a leet dictionary that comes with it, to which we're thinking of adding various things (file extensions being top of the list). I'm aware of Scrabble variants like clabbers, but this provides an interesting new twist with the combination of all the various substitutions which can produce words that are a bit hard to translate at first.

So, er, yeah, hopefully this will be interesting to at least someone :ugeek:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: L33T Scrabble

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote: We've had a few games with them (e.g.)
Ew, stepladder.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I told you we were n00bs :P
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ha, that's really cool. A Clabbers version of this would rock. *scratches head thoughfully*
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:There are 3 Zs (or at least, there were in our set, you're meant to get 2, apparently) which are only worth 2, and can be used instead of an S at the end of a word only (e.g. CATZ).
According to the FAQ, it says that there are actually 3 Z's in the letter distribution.

Nice variation though, for a game of Scrabble.
Michael Wallace wrote:We're currently trying to put together our own word list, as there is a leet dictionary that comes with it, to which we're thinking of adding various things (file extensions being top of the list). I'm aware of Scrabble variants like clabbers, but this provides an interesting new twist with the combination of all the various substitutions which can produce words that are a bit hard to translate at first.
Could you not use the Collins Word List For Clubs & Tournaments book for your word list?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:There are 3 Zs (or at least, there were in our set, you're meant to get 2, apparently) which are only worth 2, and can be used instead of an S at the end of a word only (e.g. CATZ).
According to the FAQ, it says that there are actually 3 Z's in the letter distribution.
Ah, it seems that that page agrees entirely with what we were provided with - looks like the insert they send out has a couple of errors on it, thanks for pointing this out :)
Joseph Bolas wrote:Could you not use the Collins Word List For Clubs & Tournaments book for your word list?
Well the theory is we'll permit any valid Scrabble plus any words in the L33T dictionary they provide with the game, plus any words we think should be in the dictionary that aren't. Basically we're over-complicating things for our own amusement :P
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Could you not use the Collins Word List For Clubs & Tournaments book for your word list?
Well the theory is we'll permit any valid Scrabble plus any words in the L33T dictionary they provide with the game, plus any words we think should be in the dictionary that aren't. Basically we're over-complicating things for our own amusement :P
I get ya :D.

What you could also do is go one of the SMS dictionary sites for example and add all of those abbreviations to your words lists (that dont appear already) to make it more complicated :P