Spoilers For Tuesday November 8th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Tuesday November 8th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, while a good few of us have headed on down to Manchester for the start of the recording of the finals, it's easy to forget that us normal folk still have to wait another month to see the conclusion of this series, as well as Jeff's tenure as the host.

But, still, here's what to look forward to today. :)

Clive Barham, after a dodgy display by his opponent yesterday, manages to live another day, and could become a half-octochamp today. Can he do it :?:

Join Liam later for his recap. ;) :) :D
Last edited by James Robinson on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday November 8th 2011

Post by Tony Atkins »

Another sleepy game - they need to stop for coffee or one of Rachel's favourite caffeine drinks. I did the first numbers 9 x 8 x 7.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

At least the caffeine kicked in during the third part of the show! Alt in R11 of CALUMET. I got PAROLER disallowed in R13.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

I was shocked when Susie disallowed JOINDERS. Just checked and it's valid on Apterous.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

James Robinson wrote: :)

Clive Barham, after a dodgy display by his opponent yesterday, manages to live another day, and could become a half-ocotochamp today. Can he do it :?: ;) :) :D
Sorry about being pedantic.
cheers maus
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Thomas Carey wrote:
James Robinson wrote: :)

Clive Barham, after a dodgy display by his opponent yesterday, manages to live another day, and could become a half-ocotochamp today. Can he do it :?: ;) :) :D
Sorry about being pedantic.
Know the feeling. :)

PADAUKS in round 1 (thought I was thinking of PADOUKS, but that's OK too 8-) ), MARTINET in round 2, FOREGUT in round 4, FUGATO in round 7.

3rd Numbers Alt.: ((7 x 5) + 1) x 5 = 180
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Philip Jarvis wrote:I was shocked when Susie disallowed JOINDERS. Just checked and it's valid on Apterous.
This word has a bit of Countdown history attached to it. It was famously allowed during Series 44 when it shouldn't have been, since at that time the mass noun rule was being treated as absolute. Until today that was the only instance I knew of, so I confidently expected it to be disallowed.

According to the Wiki, its only other appearance since Series 44 was during COC11, the first set of games where some discretion was allowed in applying the mass noun rule. I don't imagine the definition has changed at all in subsequent revisions of the ODE, so I'd infer that Apterous is allowing JOINDERS at least partly on the strength of it having been allowed during COC11.