COGST - starting mid-September

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: COGST - starting mid-September

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:Yes it's VERY convient to me to just add Joseph to the final group as that makes 21 (7 * 3), especially since nobody's objected. I'll add this to the Countdown Wiki right now.

Martin
Thank you for adding me :D. It's best to get some practice in before COLIN :D.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

When do you want to play then (both you and Paul). I'm just hopping in the bath now but I can play tonight or basically any evening. Would prefer after 8pm so Christine (my partner) can watch as she said she'd like to, but it's not essential as I'd recap the game anway.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:When do you want to play then (both you and Paul). I'm just hopping in the bath now but I can play tonight or basically any evening. Would prefer after 8pm so Christine (my partner) can watch as she said she'd like to, but it's not essential as I'd recap the game anway.
I should be free at 20:00 tonight if you want to play then :)

Paul said that Thursday or next Tuesday are probably the best times for him to play, so I am going to see if I can play Paul tomorrow.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:When do you want to play then (both you and Paul). I'm just hopping in the bath now but I can play tonight or basically any evening. Would prefer after 8pm so Christine (my partner) can watch as she said she'd like to, but it's not essential as I'd recap the game anway.
I should be free at 20:00 tonight if you want to play then :)

Paul said that Thursday or next Tuesday are probably the best times for him to play, so I am going to see if I can play Paul tomorrow.
Anyone to host then?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I'll be online at 8 on Thurs then. Joseph it'd be good if you can get Countgen working so we can have a cosy little threesome and host each other's games. Do you have Java installed and enabled? If not just go to java.com and follow the instructions there.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:I'll be online at 8 on Thurs then. Joseph it'd be good if you can get Countgen working so we can have a cosy little threesome and host each other's games. Do you have Java installed and enabled? If not just go to java.com and follow the instructions there.
I didn't think of downloading Java :oops: thank you Paul :).

Countgen 2, does now work so I can host your game against Martin tomorrow :D.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Martin and Joseph, do you want to wait and play our games on apterous, which should be accesible to everyone at the weekend? It's really cool and much easier, I promise. If not I'll still be online at 8 tonight.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:Martin and Joseph, do you want to wait and play our games on apterous, which should be accesible to everyone at the weekend? It's really cool and much easier, I promise. If not I'll still be online at 8 tonight.
I myself, don't mind really. I never really do anything at the weekends :oops:, so I should be free :D.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I also don't mind apart from I'm not in a lot at weekends so it'd have to be precisely planned rather than "turn up anytime".
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Good stuff, I actually meant that apterous should be available this weekend, not to actually play then, I'd still like to play on Tues. Make sure you get a couple of games in first to get the hang of doing the numbers and the conundrum.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julie T - when are you available for gaming? Mr Priest is on a vacation for a few days so that just leaves you in our group whom I could play against. I'm generally busy throughout the week
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Where are the groups?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Ben Pugh wrote:Where are the groups?
Ben, you are in a group of three with myself and Karen Pearson. I can play anytime next week so give me a bell when you are available :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

All the groups are listed here :)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

jasoncullen wrote:
Ben, you are in a group of three with myself and Karen Pearson. I can play anytime next week so give me a bell when you are available :)
I don't know if you got my email Jason but I am available on Monday until 7.30pm, Tuesday after about 8.30pm (till 10pm as I'm not a night owl) and any time Wednesday or Thursday evening. I could probably do Friday evening up till about 9pm too.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:Good stuff, I actually meant that apterous should be available this weekend, not to actually play then, I'd still like to play on Tues. Make sure you get a couple of games in first to get the hang of doing the numbers and the conundrum.
I can wait till Tuesday, if you prefer :D. Will the game be at 8 o'clock and any particular order?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I'll definitely be around for most of Tues evening (starting around 8 if Martin wants definite times), but if you see me on apterous before then we can play whenever.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:Martin and Joseph, do you want to wait and play our games on apterous, which should be accesible to everyone at the weekend? It's really cool and much easier, I promise. If not I'll still be online at 8 tonight.
You were right Paul. It is easier to use. I have only played one game, but I really enjoy it :D
Paul Howe wrote:Good stuff, I actually meant that apterous should be available this weekend, not to actually play then, I'd still like to play on Tues. Make sure you get a couple of games in first to get the hang of doing the numbers and the conundrum.
I did slip up on the numbers :oops:, so I see what you mean about getting practice in :lol: I found the conundrum easy to do too and I like the idea of typing in the first letter as a way of buzzing in.

I eagerly await our COGST games on Tuesday :D
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I can't help noticing only two games have actually been played, perhaps the arrival of Apterous should change that. I'll send round an email soon to let people know that the tournament has started.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Martin Gardner wrote:I can't help noticing only two games have actually been played, perhaps the arrival of Apterous should change that. I'll send round an email soon to let people know that the tournament has started.
I think Apterous might slow us down. I've just tried my first game on it, and can see there's no way I would be happy playing with that just yet. I need some days of practice before i could use it. May have to revert to msn.

edit - just played another two games, the last of which comprised six rounds of numbers, just for practice. In all, I've now managed to enter only one solution within the time in all three games i've played. I normally work numbers solutions with a complete string, including brackets, and i cannot use this method here. I need to approach numbers in a completely different way now, if i've to have any chance with apterous.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:In all, I've now managed to enter only one solution within the time in all three games i've played. I normally work numbers solutions with a complete string, including brackets, and i cannot use this method here. I need to approach numbers in a completely different way now, if i've to have any chance with apterous.
You can enter them in exactly that format in the Notes box during the round, and the program will (attempt to) automatically deduce your method.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:In all, I've now managed to enter only one solution within the time in all three games i've played. I normally work numbers solutions with a complete string, including brackets, and i cannot use this method here. I need to approach numbers in a completely different way now, if i've to have any chance with apterous.
You can enter them in exactly that format in the Notes box during the round, and the program will (attempt to) automatically deduce your method.
Thanks, Charlie. I'd done exactly that once earlier when playing against the Duel, and that worked well. But when I tried it when playing against a human for the first time, it didn't seem to work, and I was given the display of numbers and symbols to click. So after that, i didn't bother with the notes box. I'll go back and try that again.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote: But when I tried it when playing against a human for the first time, it didn't seem to work, and I was given the display of numbers and symbols to click. So after that, i didn't bother with the notes box. I'll go back and try that again.
If the program can't make sense of your method, it gives you the normal window as a second chance (so that people aren't dissuaded from using the notes box by fear of getting brackets wrong.)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:If the program can't make sense of your method, it gives you the normal window as a second chance (so that people aren't dissuaded from using the notes box by fear of getting brackets wrong.)
ok - I guess I made a slight typo when I tried it. I'll def give it another go. Does the solution in the notes box have to be complete within the 30 secs?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote: ok - I guess I made a slight typo when I tried it. I'll def give it another go. Does the solution in the notes box have to be complete within the 30 secs?
Yes, although if you declare something inexact then you can continue to edit it while the other person is entering their method, which might be useful if they screw up.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:I can't help noticing only two games have actually been played, perhaps the arrival of Apterous should change that. I'll send round an email soon to let people know that the tournament has started.
Paul and I, have played our COGST game, so that makes 3 :mrgreen:
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Julie T - when are you available for gaming? Mr Priest is on a vacation for a few days so that just leaves you in our group whom I could play against. I'm generally busy throughout the week
Hi, Kirk,

Sorry. I've just had a reminder email from Martin. I didn't realise COGST had started! :o
Evenings preferable, before 9pm if poss, but daytime could be arranged, except Mondays.
Saturdays I like to keep free, but possible if it's difficult to arrange a different time.
Sounds like a Sunday game if you're not available weekdays.

Same goes for Richard for times, but I'm flexible.

Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Paul Howe is the first player through the the quarter-finals. I (1 win, 172 points) might make the 8th place, but probably not.

Martin
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:Paul Howe is the first player through the the quarter-finals. I (1 win, 172 points) might make the 8th place, but probably not.

Martin
Just to add, thank you to Paul and Martin for giving me 2 brilliant games :D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt and raccoon boy, when are you available to play your games? :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I'm about whenever really, except for Thursday when I'm out for most of the day. Other than that I'm probably more flexible than most, since I have nothing to do (beyond eating and sleeping) until my PhD starts.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Well done Paul H - two great performances

I was wondering if people could, where they have time, write text recaps for their games using the Recap Writer on Charlie's site (cdb I mean)? - the Wiki-type recaps which Apterous automatically writes are fine, but they make it a bit difficult if you want to try and play along with the contestants and get an idea of how you'd have done against them.

I hope at least from the knockout stages onwards, people will find time to write text recaps (or maybe Charlie can make Apterous do that automatically, I don't know), although it is a pain I know.

Anyway better get on with arranging my games (sorry Martin)...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:Matt and raccoon boy, when are you available to play your games? :)
Raccoon Boy?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote: I hope at least from the knockout stages onwards, people will find time to write text recaps (or maybe Charlie can make Apterous do that automatically, I don't know), although it is a pain I know.
Seriously I would rather punch myself in the face than write yet another recap generator in yet another language. However, I would punch myself in the face for £100, so...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian Fell wrote:Well done Paul H - two great performances

I was wondering if people could, where they have time, write text recaps for their games using the Recap Writer on Charlie's site (cdb I mean)? - the Wiki-type recaps which Apterous automatically writes are fine, but they make it a bit difficult if you want to try and play along with the contestants and get an idea of how you'd have done against them.
If this happens, someone is going to have to do my game against Paul Howe as I can't view the game anymore :(

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=1304
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julie T wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Julie T - when are you available for gaming? Mr Priest is on a vacation for a few days so that just leaves you in our group whom I could play against. I'm generally busy throughout the week
Hi, Kirk,

Sorry. I've just had a reminder email from Martin. I didn't realise COGST had started! :o
Evenings preferable, before 9pm if poss, but daytime could be arranged, except Mondays.
Saturdays I like to keep free, but possible if it's difficult to arrange a different time.

Julie
I'm free on certain weekday evenings (like now!) when I'm not planning or marking or playing darts. During the day is a no-no as I'm teaching. I never received the email though so perhaps he has a wrong account (hatton02 at yahoo dot co dot uk can you please use). I'll play you on apterous if that's OK Julie.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
If this happens, someone is going to have to do my game against Paul Howe as I can't view the game anymore :(

Ah, bugger. I forgot that would happen. I might do a proper recap if I get a spare moment, more likely I'll just copy and paste the apterous recap.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've been emailing people but a lot of people aren't responding at all. David O'Donnell needs to play against Soo for example, that's the only game left of that group.

Martin
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

[/quote]

I'm free on certain weekday evenings (like now!) when I'm not planning or marking or playing darts. During the day is a no-no as I'm teaching. I never received the email though so perhaps he has a wrong account (hatton02 at yahoo dot co dot uk can you please use). I'll play you on apterous if that's OK Julie.[/quote]

Hi, Kirk,

I've PMd you, so we don't bore everyone trying to sort out our game! :)

Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

You are a teacher who plays darts? Are you the female version of Kirk?

I will get my game against Soo sorted ASAP but it will have to be via msn, unfortunately.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:I'm about whenever really, except for Thursday when I'm out for most of the day. Other than that I'm probably more flexible than most, since I have nothing to do (beyond eating and sleeping) until my PhD starts.
Good good- just catch me whenever I'm on apterous and we can get at it then (usually most evenings/nights around 10).
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

Ah, bugger. I forgot that would happen. I might do a proper recap if I get a spare moment, more likely I'll just copy and paste the apterous recap.
Sorry Paul, I forgot to edit my message to say that I should be able to donate once I have set up my Debit Card on Paypal, so by the weekend, I should be able to see all the games :D. I am not sure though, if there's anyone else in the COGST, who is in the same situation.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Sorry Paul, I forgot to edit my message to say that I should be able to donate once I have set up my Debit Card on Paypal, so by the weekend, I should be able to see all the games :D. I am not sure though, if there's anyone else in the COGST, who is in the same situation.

Well I'm in the same situation as well....
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Sorry Paul, I forgot to edit my message to say that I should be able to donate once I have set up my Debit Card on Paypal, so by the weekend, I should be able to see all the games :D. I am not sure though, if there's anyone else in the COGST, who is in the same situation.
Well I'm in the same situation as well....
My apologies Martin, I wasn't sure if anyone was in the same situation.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Erm can you do wednesday night Karen for our match? I am struggling for free time at the moment (hence not replying until now for which I apologise for) so if you can do between 6-8pm it would be much appreciated. Let me know asap please Karen. Thanks :D
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

I'll be on Apterous most nights, apart from tomorrow.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

jasoncullen wrote:Erm can you do wednesday night Karen for our match? I am struggling for free time at the moment (hence not replying until now for which I apologise for) so if you can do between 6-8pm it would be much appreciated. Let me know asap please Karen. Thanks :D

Me v Jason on Wednesday evening at around 7pm on MSN. Is there anyone available that would be willing to host please?
I'll reciprocate if you're ever that desperate for a host!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Dagnammit, am I too late to enter?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

can you play tomorrow (wed) at 5.30 ben?, or 6pm on fri?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Yep, I can do Wednesday at 5.30pm. I'll make sure I'm home in time. Not sure about Friday, depends if we go to the boozer after work or if I go out to play frisbee...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Matt Coates wrote:can you play tomorrow (wed) at 5.30 ben?, or 6pm on fri?
Ian, I think you might be a bit late fella :( The tournament's already started and people are split into 7 groups of 3 so I don't think there's room to add another. You can always head over to apterous.org if you want some Countdown action though.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ah no worries. I've re-read the earlier post and realise it wasn't addressed to me either :)
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

Paul Howe wrote:
Ian, I think you might be a bit late fella :( The tournament's already started and people are split into 7 groups of 3 so I don't think there's room to add another. You can always head over to apterous.org if you want some Countdown action though.
i am actually already in the tournament paul
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

He meant that for Ian Volante, not sure why he quoted you - I assume it was a slip.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Matt Coates wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:
i am actually already in the tournament paul
I know mate I was talking to Ian, hence the cunning linguistic trick of starting my sentence with "Ian". :) I quoted your post to bold the word Ben to show that you weren't talking to Ian, which admittedly might have been confusing.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Karen Pearson wrote:
jasoncullen wrote:Erm can you do wednesday night Karen for our match? I am struggling for free time at the moment (hence not replying until now for which I apologise for) so if you can do between 6-8pm it would be much appreciated. Let me know asap please Karen. Thanks :D

Me v Jason on Wednesday evening at around 7pm on MSN. Is there anyone available that would be willing to host please?
I'll reciprocate if you're ever that desperate for a host!
Yes I can host tonight! I will be online at the normal time with CountGen ready!

Martin
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Martin Gardner wrote: Yes I can host tonight! I will be online at the normal time with CountGen ready!
Thanks Martin. Much appreciated :D . If I am a little late, please bare with me as I have got my hands tied at the moment (don't take me literally anyone!) :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

jasoncullen wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote: Yes I can host tonight! I will be online at the normal time with CountGen ready!
Thanks Martin. Much appreciated :D . If I am a little late, please bare with me as I have got my hands tied at the moment (don't take me literally anyone!) :)
That's alright, we've all got lives after all.

Martin
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

jasoncullen wrote:
Not to worry mate - we all know how hard it can be when you're expecting a child!
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Julie T wrote:
Hi, Kirk,

Julie
Julie/Kirk - I'm free on Friday morning if that's any good to either of you (probably not) - failing that Sat afternon after about 4pm or Sunday morning before 10am. Don't mind who I play first.