Spoilers For Friday July 15th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Friday July 15th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

We now arrive at the end of the week with Deeks-mania in full swing. Another very impressive performance by the distant relative of Barbara Windsor, which made actually reminded me of Windsor's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, where there were plenty of Deekses mentioned. :geek:

Any which way, Mark is the champ, and his challenger is another new Apterite, Taymar Pitman.

Join Mike for the end-of-week recap in due course. ;) :) :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Friday July 15th 2011

Post by Matt Morrison »

As Balog points out, it would be horrible to see a Deek-line today. Let's hope the D-Train stays strong.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've gone off Deeks now, the miserable cunt. I hope Taymar tears him a new one.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jon Corby wrote:I've gone off Deeks now, the miserable cunt. I hope Taymar tears him a new one.
Looks like Deeks himself has gone off a bit - today brought his avarage back from 104 to below 100. I am surprised he missed the one-away on the first numbers (my favourite method 25 squared, plus 9).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Why has no one made a joke about Taymar making them wet?
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Speaking of Taymar, she is the first female contestant all series. That shocks me that it took this long to get even one.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jordan F wrote:Speaking of Taymar, she is the first female contestant all series. That shocks me that it took this long to get even one.
Yeah, and if you took away the numbers games, she scored more than Mark, so Taymar can hold her head up high. :)

Interesting when Susie said she had GASEOUS in round 13, as it so sounded like GEISHAS. :lol:

ADIOSES and GAUDIES in round 13 too.

3rd Numbers Alt.: (75 x 7) + (5 x 10) - 2 - 1 = 572
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I thought Susie said GEISHAS as well. Didn't even occur to me that there wasn't an H.

DIAGRIDS in R4 (which I was almost certain I'd made up, but apparently it's a kind of structure in buildings), and FRONTSIDE in R7 (spotted by having guessed FRONDIEST^ on conundrums too many times).

Good performance by both players today. Could have gone either way if Taymar had been as strong on the numbers as she was on the letters.

Edit: also, another conundrum with a clue in the scramble.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

INFESTOR in the RODENTS round? Lexplorer says no.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:INFESTOR in the RODENTS round? Lexplorer says no.
I thought it might've been too, maybe it was in a previous dictionary.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Just looked this game up on the wiki, and yea Deeks was a bit lucky that his opponent's numbers prowess went down the garbage Deeksposal :P Also @Tony -- shhhh about the 25 squared for middling targets with uncooperative smalls, that's saved my ass in numbers a lot more than it should ;)

But yea, how is Taymar the first woman in this series? Aside from the numbers Deekasters she played well.

I'll be here as long as Deeks can keep rattling off wins. And back for the finals if he keeps this standard up. Try the waitress and make sure to tip your veal
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Jon Corby wrote:I've gone off Deeks now, the miserable cunt. I hope Taymar tears him a new one.
We should hang out more.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark Deeks wrote:
We should hang out more.
Oh noes, haha, I thought this might happen. You do realise I was kidding, right, just kinda chucking that in after days of exalting you. I really didn't mean it.

Anyway, has anyone ever told you that you look like a bit like Calvin Harris?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Your balls are the size of pinpricks Corby. Of all the people you can "take the piss out of" without worrying they won't get it, Mr. Mark Deeks comes pretty low on the list.
FUCK YOU DEEKS. (See, he still loves me after that.)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:Your balls are the size of pinpricks Corby. Of all the people you can "take the piss out of" without worrying they won't get it, Mr. Mark Deeks comes pretty low on the list.
I was trying to find an appropriate picture to sum up Corby's post but "grovelling like a bitch" didn't have any good images from Google and the "gimp" results weren't suitable.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I didn't realise that Deeks are to Disney what Gleeks are to Glee.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Your balls are the size of pinpricks Corby. Of all the people you can "take the piss out of" without worrying they won't get it, Mr. Mark Deeks comes pretty low on the list.
Did you mean high on the list? Or is your list in reverse order? Or am I miscounting the negatives? That's a really confusing statement.

Seeing as I'm not on apterous hardly ever, I have no interaction (directly or indirectly) with Deeks. He's new to this site, he probably won't have read it or know who the hell I am and what I'm like. Just thought it was worth clearing up. I've had shitstorms develop out of similar misinterpreted jokes before, so I'm just being cautious. If that makes me a tiny balled gimp, then fair enough, talc up my shrivelled little buds and I'll zip them up in leather.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

To be fair, I think he did realise you were kidding. Sort of. 23:49
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:To be fair, I think he did realise you were kidding. Sort of. 23:49
Ah, I had been scouring the apterous chat logs looking for some kind of Deekal acknowledgement, but I hadn't quite made it that far. Cheers.

PS. I think Matt's list thing probably is the right way around, but I still actually can't be sure. I think it depends on whether "worrying that they won't get it" is actually the same as "worrying that they get it", or whether it's the opposite. I think it's the same, isn't it?

Edit: No wait, if they are the same, that does mean he's wrong, doesn't it?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

No I think I got it wrong to be fair - sorry if I've sent you off in a spiral of doubting yourself.

Just to clear up, I'm still loving a bit of Deeks despite the fact that Corby absolutely hates him and keeps texting me to say so.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:To be fair, I think he did realise you were kidding. Sort of. 23:49
Ah, I had been scouring the apterous chat logs looking for some kind of Deekal acknowledgement, but I hadn't quite made it that far. Cheers.

PS. I think Matt's list thing probably is the right way around, but I still actually can't be sure. I think it depends on whether "worrying that they won't get it" is actually the same as "worrying that they get it", or whether it's the opposite. I think it's the same, isn't it?

Edit: No wait, if they are the same, that does mean he's wrong, doesn't it?
Matt's list thing is wrong. He must have meant that Deeks would be high on the list.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I got it the wrong way around, alright? Just fuck off.
I'm going to hang out with Deeks instead of you lot in the future.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Yey, you said the plan would work Jon. Finally got rid of him. Can't wait 'til he fucks off to India and has diarrhoea the whole time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Yey, you said the plan would work Jon. Finally got rid of him. Can't wait 'til he fucks off to India and has diarrhoea the whole time.
It was quite a contrived plan, wasn't it? Given that we required Deeks to string a few wins together, it had potential to go wrong if he'd lost early didn't it?

Dunno, what do you think Matt? Would we really take that risk and run with such a volatile plan? Would we?

Or was the whole Countdown team in on it too? Were all the games fixed for Deeks to win? Hey, were they even genuine contestants he was playing against, or just actors hired to be patsies? MAYBE THIS GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Yey, you said the plan would work Jon. Finally got rid of him. Can't wait 'til he fucks off to India and has diarrhoea the whole time.
It was quite a contrived plan, wasn't it? Given that we required Deeks to string a few wins together, it had potential to go wrong if he'd lost early didn't it?

Dunno, what do you think Matt? Would we really take that risk and run with such a volatile plan? Would we?

Or was the whole Countdown team in on it too? Were all the games fixed for Deeks to win? Hey, were they even genuine contestants he was playing against, or just actors hired to be patsies? MAYBE THIS GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.
Still not as out there as some of RBs conspiracy theories.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

You do realise I was kidding, right
I do, which is why I think we should hang out more. In fact, I want us to go on the road, tapdancing together.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is Deeks going to CONOT? That would be cool. And Balog coming all the way from America. The two forum heroes.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark Deeks wrote:In fact, I want us to go on the road, tapdancing together.
Sounds kinda dangerous tbh dude.

You forgot to comment on your CalvinHarrisness.

Actually, I'm not that happy that it is Calvin Harris that you remind me of, but then I've always thought that Calvin Harris really looks like someone else and never been able to pin it down. Although I also think it might be somebody I went to school or college with or something, so don't worry too much about it. But if you think Calvin Harris looks like someone else, please tell me about it here.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Everyone tells me I look like someone. Joel Przybilla, Jonathan Papelbon, Bradley from Eastenders, Will Clarke the triathlete, Edward fucking Elgar, John Arne Riise, Jean Paul Sarte, Stan Laurel, all the way to Sully from Monsters Inc. But Calvin Harris? That's a new one. Maybe slightly.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:In fact, I want us to go on the road, tapdancing together.
Sounds kinda dangerous tbh dude.

You forgot to comment on your CalvinHarrisness.

Actually, I'm not that happy that it is Calvin Harris that you remind me of, but then I've always thought that Calvin Harris really looks like someone else and never been able to pin it down. Although I also think it might be somebody I went to school or college with or something, so don't worry too much about it. But if you think Calvin Harris looks like someone else, please tell me about it here.
BTW, I decided that it was a young Steve Punt that Calvin Harris reminded me of, and therefore you also look like a young Steve Punt. (And no, that's not rhyming slang.)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Eh, yeah, a bit. I've forgiven you now by the way. For the whole "miserable cunt" thing. We cool.
Eoin Monaghan wrote: